Author Topic: Women-only screenings of Wonder Woman making insecure guys angry and it's great  (Read 1105 times)

Offline XeRocks81

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40058986

"Have you ever hosted a men's only showing of any film?" Facebook user Bill Fairbrother enquired.

The cinema chain cheerfully responded: "We've never done showings where you had to be a man to get in, but we *did* show the Entourage movie a few years ago."

:lol Alamo Drafthouse is such a great company

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
I mean, I really don't give a fuck about this, but somehow I feel certain that these people are the same ones who would throw a shitfit if someone actually did do a 'men-only' screening.
if the flow checks out and your rhymes are dope enough then the police start unholstering their guns

Offline kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Everybody is so damn sensitive these days.  Eho cares?  Let the girls have some fun.   I'll get to see it right after they do.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
Anything that annoys the shit out of "MRA" arseholes is fine by me.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Actually makes we want to go and see the stupid thing just so I can yell TAKE IT OFF and SHAKE IT BABY everytime she's on the screen.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
Everybody is so damn sensitive these days.  Eho cares?  Let the girls have some fun.   I'll get to see it right after they do.

Or crossdress and say you identify yourself as a women if you're so inclined to see the first screening that bad.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Offline kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
Again, who cares.  The movie will be out for a long time an anyone who is offended because they can't see it opening night because of whatever the reason needs to grow thicker skin and see it the next day or the next week.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 10:13:19 AM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
Manufactured story with clickbaity title. Tell me again why a news company like BBC has stooped to reporting on Facebook comments? Leave that to your tabloids.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Just like with the new Ghostbusters, it seems like they are fabricating a controversial situation to drum up business.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
I think I'm with King on this one (for the second time today, it seems!)  Not sure what the uproar is; no, they probably wouldn't schedule "male only" screenings, and even if they did there would be the usual feminists that would have their panties in a wad over it.  SO?  Doesn't make either side right.   Tend your own garden.    If I'm Bill Fairbrother's family, I'd be like "Hey, Bill; are we not interesting enough for you?  Get off Facebook and go cut the fucking lawn".    And it's worth noting that I do not at all understand taking pleasure from someone else's annoyance, no matter what the issue.  To me it shows insensitivity and lack of empathy.    You don't have to agree with someone to respect the right they have to feel that way.    To me, taking pleasure in someone's annoyance is just a subtle form of bullying.

My daughter went to a Future concert this past weekend.   And some girl who bullied her in high school (two years ago!) saw her and decided that she was going to yell shit and try to fight her on the lawn of the amphitheater.  My daughter was upset and scared (the chick would have pummeled her if it came to that), and it ruined the experience for her.   That girl later posted on Instachat or Facegram or whatever that "her work was done here" or some shit, because she had annoyed my daughter to the point of her leaving the show.   What's the point of that?  Can't live and let live?  The world's not big enough?   

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
I think I'm with King on this one (for the second time today, it seems!)  Not sure what the uproar is; no, they probably wouldn't schedule "male only" screenings, and even if they did there would be the usual feminists that would have their panties in a wad over it.  SO?  Doesn't make either side right.   Tend your own garden.   

Agreed.

And it's worth noting that I do not at all understand taking pleasure from someone else's annoyance, no matter what the issue.  To me it shows insensitivity and lack of empathy.    You don't have to agree with someone to respect the right they have to feel that way.    To me, taking pleasure in someone's annoyance is just a subtle form of bullying.

Agreed again.

And last point:  If you want to make a controversial statement about a movie by doing gender-specific screenings or something else that is "edgy," do it for a movie people actually care about seeing.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline XeRocks81

Plenty of people care about seeing Wonder Woman.  Alamo Drafthouse is  celebrating the first women centric comic book property making it to the big screen.  It's not a "controversial statement"   

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, I think there are plenty of people who want to see it. Or certainly that will, since it's getting very good reviews.

Offline ariich

• sexin' you later
  • Global Moderator
  • Fun! Fun! Fun! Fun!
Plenty of people care about seeing Wonder Woman.  Alamo Drafthouse is  celebrating the first women centric comic book property making it to the big screen.  It's not a "controversial statement"   
Yeah this is definitely not controversial, it's a rather fitting (and frankly tiny) way to celebrate the first ever comic book movie starring a woman and directed by a woman.

EDIT: Though while anyone actually upset or offended by this needs to seriously get a grip, I basically agree with Stadler and bosk in that I'm not really comfortable with gloating over or enjoying their misery.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 06:12:44 AM by ariich »

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
    • my coverband
I think I'm with King on this one (for the second time today, it seems!)  Not sure what the uproar is; no, they probably wouldn't schedule "male only" screenings, and even if they did there would be the usual feminists that would have their panties in a wad over it.  SO?  Doesn't make either side right.   Tend your own garden.    If I'm Bill Fairbrother's family, I'd be like "Hey, Bill; are we not interesting enough for you?  Get off Facebook and go cut the fucking lawn".    And it's worth noting that I do not at all understand taking pleasure from someone else's annoyance, no matter what the issue.  To me it shows insensitivity and lack of empathy.    You don't have to agree with someone to respect the right they have to feel that way.    To me, taking pleasure in someone's annoyance is just a subtle form of bullying.

My daughter went to a Future concert this past weekend.   And some girl who bullied her in high school (two years ago!) saw her and decided that she was going to yell shit and try to fight her on the lawn of the amphitheater.  My daughter was upset and scared (the chick would have pummeled her if it came to that), and it ruined the experience for her.   That girl later posted on Instachat or Facegram or whatever that "her work was done here" or some shit, because she had annoyed my daughter to the point of her leaving the show.   What's the point of that?  Can't live and let live?  The world's not big enough?

Man, life would be so much easier without all of this social media bullying BULLSHIT!  :censored
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance youre always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Yeah this is definitely not controversial, it's a rather fitting (and frankly tiny) way to celebrate the first ever comic book movie starring a woman and directed by a woman.

Agreed.  This is nothing to get in a twist over.

Question (to play devil's advocate): would you be in favor of a movie celebrating Kellyanne Conway?  She is the first woman to ever run a successful presidential campaign in the history of the United States, so that is worth celebrating and making a film about, right? ;)

Offline ariich

• sexin' you later
  • Global Moderator
  • Fun! Fun! Fun! Fun!

Question (to play devil's advocate): would you be in favor of a movie celebrating Kellyanne Conway?  She is the first woman to ever run a successful presidential campaign in the history of the United States, so that is worth celebrating and making a film about, right? ;)
I don't know anything about her, but in principle absolutely. Politics is very different to arts or sports (though many seem to support a party regardless of policies in the same way as supporting a sports team) so it's probably harder to gauge success, but if she was the first woman to achieve something that has always been done by men then good on her.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Man, life would be so much easier without all of this social media bullying BULLSHIT!  :censored

I don't know if you're being serious or sarcastic (I get into this conversation A LOT) but I actually believe that.  It has it's place, but like anything else, the abuses are often far worse than the good it brings.   Especially to kids, who haven't figured out how to interact in person yet, one-on-one, let alone with the entire world via social media.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
Yea, Im with the "live and let live" group.  Who cares, let people do their thing.  I don't know exactly where this cinema is, but got to imagine there are others that will gladly take the male business that evening for the movie viewing. 

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
    • my coverband

I don't know if you're being serious or sarcastic (I get into this conversation A LOT) but I actually believe that.  It has it's place, but like anything else, the abuses are often far worse than the good it brings.   Especially to kids, who haven't figured out how to interact in person yet, one-on-one, let alone with the entire world via social media.   

Totally serious, I mean, kids are actually losing their lives over this.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance youre always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

I don't know anything about her, but in principle absolutely. Politics is very different to arts or sports (though many seem to support a party regardless of policies in the same way as supporting a sports team) so it's probably harder to gauge success, but if she was the first woman to achieve something that has always been done by men then good on her.

:tup :tup

The irony is that you just know that Conway hates Trump, but she did the job and made history.  Ugly history probably when it's all said and done :lol, but history nonetheless.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace

Wouldn't you want to celebrate this by including as many fans as possible, and not being exclusionary?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline XeRocks81

Wouldn't you want to celebrate this by including as many fans as possible, and not being exclusionary?

They're not being exclusionary.  This is where a lot of these conversations tend to break down

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis

They're not being exclusionary.  This is where a lot of these conversations tend to break down

Yes it is.  It's a Man Ban, plain and simple.  Lawsuits have already been filed and injunctions ruled on that will allow men to go see it.  www.studytheworld.org/articles/three-federal-circuits-rule-wonder-woman-man-ban-unconstitutional
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline XeRocks81

Yes it is.  It's a Man Ban, plain and simple.  Lawsuits have already been filed and injunctions ruled on that will allow men to go see it.  www.studytheworld.org/articles/three-federal-circuits-rule-wonder-woman-man-ban-unconstitutional

edit: yeah looks like you really were just trolling, nevermind. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 10:30:42 PM by XeRocks81 »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Why not?  I'm not sure the meaning of the emoji; are you implying she's not?   And if so, why?  There are plenty of people that I don't really care for that ought to be lauded for their accomplishments.   Unfortunately for me (thought that WILL change if I ever get to be king), "Stadler likes you" is not a prerequisite for being considered a "success" or having achieved something in today's world (here's looking at you, Don Henley.  Or worse, Patty Smith.). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

edit: yeah looks like you really were just trolling, nevermind.

Yeah, but fundamentally, what is wrong with what Bosk said?   How is this any different than the woman that just HAS to go to that all-male military school?  Or the woman golfer that, out of all the 15,372 golf courses in America (yes, I looked it up, though I imagine it changes weekly) just HAS to be a member at Augusta?   

I personally think that the owner of the theater (or the organizer of the event) ought to be able to invite and allow who they want, so I'm in support of the "woman's night out" here, but the arguments are hazy in terms of the justification and moral rationale. 

Offline ariich

• sexin' you later
  • Global Moderator
  • Fun! Fun! Fun! Fun!
Well, those examples are slightly different Stads, in that they are permanently exclusionary. I personally don't think they're a very big deal, but it's a fact they are discriminatory. A golf course having a men-only day would be a more appropriate comparison.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, those examples are slightly different Stads, in that they are permanently exclusionary. I personally don't think they're a very big deal, but it's a fact they are discriminatory. A golf course having a men-only day would be a more appropriate comparison.

That's a fair point.  You're right about that.   

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Head Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
Quote from: nightmare_cinema
So should lonestar and I have babies or something now, is that how this works?
Dang, you're easily the coolest fogey I know of

Offline kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni