Author Topic: Next one to fall? Hannity loses advertiser  (Read 613 times)

Offline XeRocks81

Next one to fall? Hannity loses advertiser
« on: May 24, 2017, 03:28:23 PM »
https://www.buzzfeed.com/maryanngeorgantopoulos/sean-hannity-advertiser?utm_term=.ywXMlvQJz#.ds1XJEkLM

I recently got into some temporary trouble on another board when I overreacted on this subject but I still feel the same way.  Pushing this Seth Rich consipiracy bullshit is a horrible thing to do to a grieving family.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
Re: Next one to fall? Hannity loses advertiser
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 04:30:29 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 07:52:14 PM »
My heart goes out to that family.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 09:13:28 PM »
The very definition of fake news. Good riddance if he is on his way out.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 07:14:03 AM »
So let's make sure we're keeping score: 

Guy is an asshole (and Hannity IS an asshole) = Can't possibly be right on ANYTHING
Not correct on anything = "Opinion I don't like"
"Opinion I don't like" = Need to shut it right the fuck down.

Good.  Sounds great.  Perfect, actually, especially in a country that is ostensibly a representative democratic republic, with things like free speech. 

I feel very bad for Rich's family too, and can only imagine the horror, pain, and suffering they are feeling for their loss.   But why does that trump the need to know what happened?   I get it, Hannity doesn't get to deal in innuendo or supposition, so it's not wrong that he tone it the fuck down, but where's the outrage for all the family attacks going the other way? Where's the anger and vitriol for those throwing the Trump family under the bus?   

To people here like PB1 and others who continually accuse me of being a "Trump apologist", THIS is why I always take the time to respond to the unfairness.  Somehow, when the conservative guy is digging for a story, it's heinous, and we worry so much about the feelings of the innocent family, but when it's attacking the Republican (TRUMP) we don't give fuck one for the family, for Melania, for Benson or Burke or Bobbett (or whatever the kid's name is; and don't at all try to tell me that he 'asked to be there'.  He did not.).  RAKE 'EM UNDER THE COALS!   
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 07:32:27 AM by Stadler »

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 07:20:51 AM »
holy fucking shit

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 08:16:00 AM »
for fuck's sake Stadler if Melania died tomorrow morning and people on my "side" in mainstream news started peddling bullshit it would be just as heinous.  I think you're reaching here

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 08:38:04 AM »
And for the record I'm actually highly sympathetic to Melania. I think she might be a gold-digger, but it doesn't change the fact that she seems miserable and this isn't what she signed on for.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 08:53:20 AM »
for fuck's sake Stadler if Melania died tomorrow morning and people on my "side" in mainstream news started peddling bullshit it would be just as heinous.  I think you're reaching here

Of course you do.  Because they HAVE been peddling the same bullshit, for a while.  Every headline that just ASSUMES the reader thinks Trump is a heinous (I love that word) pile of shit is the same thing.   Every news story that parses the looks, glances, hand gestures, swats and twats between Trump and Melania is the same thing. 

Look, I can't stand Hannity.  I think he's a stain, and I've said it before (many times).   I think what he's doing IS pretty callous.   But I've been called (lately) by a couple people for being a pedantic, humorless fuck (my words, but I imagine I'm not that far off), and apparently people don't understand or can't comprehend why "fairness" is important.   And this is a prime example of why.  I don't actually disagree with you in principle, but I'm at a loss as to why all of a sudden the goose and the gander have differing interests. 

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 09:07:04 AM »
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/fox-news-sean-hannity-return-1202444145/

Fox News Channel lent support to its best-known anchor Sean Hannity, saying Thursday that the popular host would return to its air next week following a Memorial Day holiday vacation – an effort to tamp down speculation that a controversy currently enveloping Hannity could escalate further.

“Like the rest of the country, Sean Hannity is taking a vacation for Memorial Day weekend and will be back on Tuesday,” the 21st Century Fox-owned network said in a statement. “Those who suggest otherwise are going to look foolish.”

too bad.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 09:07:36 AM »
people don't understand or can't comprehend why "fairness" is important

People understand why fairness is important.  In journalism.  In criminal trials.  In making sure both kids get a seemingly similar number of Christmas presents.  In making sure that you don't hog more of the bed than your wife in the middle of the night.

Where humor is concerned, people will find funny what they find funny and, to your dismay, don't particularly give a damn whether or not somebody else thinks what they find funny is "fair" or not.  If that were the case, we'd all have to start making jokes like "Ya mama so fat, she should likely visit a nutritionist, in order to formulate a better and more healthy approach to eating."

This is my supposition on the matter, so I could be wrong, but it sounds accurate to me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 09:17:29 AM »
I'm not sure what Sean is doing is anything different than what other investigative/criminal real life type shows do.  I haven't watched him in a long time so maybe he is going too far, but on the surface it sounds like an attempt at stopping free speech.  It may very well be fake news and insensitive, I'm not arguing that, just don't see a reason for him to actually stop doing this.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 09:43:56 AM »
A right to free speech isn't the same thing as a right to a prime time slot on TV as a platform for your free speech.

When people argue against government intervention on some social issues because it should be up to the people and the market, isn't this (and some of these other cases of advertisers pulling back from people on TV after their scandals) an example of the market intervening in that way? Enough people have a problem with what this guy is doing with continuing to push the Seth Rich conspiracy story even after Fox News reporting retracted it that his show is toxic to advertisers, so they will take their money elsewhere, so Hannity either has to adapt to remain profitable to Fox, or Fox has to decide that it is worth it to take the hit? Unless we think that the companies pulling out should be forced to pay for advertising on Hannity's show, or that people shouldn't be allowed to voice their concerns about reporting on TV?

Personally I don't really care about particular individuals on Fox News or other cable news channels as I don't actually have to see them (so I don't really have much to say about Hannity or Bill O'Reilly or whoever), but if the route Hannity wants to pursue ends up alienating viewers and appealing only to fringe alt-right conspiracy theorists, then I don't know why he would be "entitled" to his prime slot if advertisers don't see it as profitable to pay for it and Fox doesn't see it as profitable to keep him there despite that.

Edit: Mainly curious about people that have a problem with this or aren't sure, at what point in the chain of events is someone at fault? What should be done differently?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 09:51:30 AM »
It's actually kinda funny that a company would buy ad time on a show like Hannity and then pull their ads for him going on about something like this. I'm not a Hannity fan, but this is the type of stuff that his target audience will love. This is what he does.

It would be like buying ad time on ESPN and then pulling it because all they were playing were episodes of Sports center and basketball games. Well, yea...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 09:58:11 AM »

People understand why fairness is important.  In journalism.  In criminal trials.  In making sure both kids get a seemingly similar number of Christmas presents.  In making sure that you don't hog more of the bed than your wife in the middle of the night.

Where humor is concerned, people will find funny what they find funny and, to your dismay, don't particularly give a damn whether or not somebody else thinks what they find funny is "fair" or not.  If that were the case, we'd all have to start making jokes like "Ya mama so fat, she should likely visit a nutritionist, in order to formulate a better and more healthy approach to eating."

This is my supposition on the matter, so I could be wrong, but it sounds accurate to me.

I totally understand you, and largely agree.  I do feel a little bad interjecting in the humor threads.  But I get over it quickly enough when you see things like just a picture of Donald Trump and that's supposed to be funny in and of itself.    It's not the "humor" that has to be fair, it's the message WITH the humor, and you can't tell me that every post in the humor threads here is simply and innocently meant to get a chuckle.  Are you seriously telling me that watching Melania and implying she's miserable and that her marriage is imploding is "funny" and "innocent"? 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 10:02:50 AM »
A right to free speech isn't the same thing as a right to a prime time slot on TV as a platform for your free speech.

When people argue against government intervention on some social issues because it should be up to the people and the market, isn't this (and some of these other cases of advertisers pulling back from people on TV after their scandals) an example of the market intervening in that way? Enough people have a problem with what this guy is doing with continuing to push the Seth Rich conspiracy story even after Fox News reporting retracted it that his show is toxic to advertisers, so they will take their money elsewhere, so Hannity either has to adapt to remain profitable to Fox, or Fox has to decide that it is worth it to take the hit? Unless we think that the companies pulling out should be forced to pay for advertising on Hannity's show, or that people shouldn't be allowed to voice their concerns about reporting on TV?

Personally I don't really care about particular individuals on Fox News or other cable news channels as I don't actually have to see them (so I don't really have much to say about Hannity or Bill O'Reilly or whoever), but if the route Hannity wants to pursue ends up alienating viewers and appealing only to fringe alt-right conspiracy theorists, then I don't know why he would be "entitled" to his prime slot if advertisers don't see it as profitable to pay for it and Fox doesn't see it as profitable to keep him there despite that.

Edit: Mainly curious about people that have a problem with this or aren't sure, at what point in the chain of events is someone at fault? What should be done differently?

I happen to agree with you on this.  Hannity is NOT a newscaster, no matter how much he tries to hide behind that patina now.  He is an Op-Ed personality.  I don't really watch him (he makes my skin crawl, to be honest) but the times I have - be it in a hotel room or in a car where there is lesser choice - he makes no bones about his opinion.   He often begins monologues with "As a conservative, I..." as if that is some badge of honor or shield from criticism.   He's a partisan shill, nothing more, and if an advertiser doesn't want to have their name after his rant, so be it. It's their money, it's their right, it's their choice.    What I object to is the next step, which says that somehow Hannity should shut the fuck up.  If he has the evidence, and can (attempt) to prove the case, he should be allowed to do so, no matter how outlandish or flimsy.  That should be up to the listener to decide once the information is presented.   

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 03:17:24 PM »

God I love you.
Dream Theater Forums: Expanding musical tastes and shrinking wallets since 2009.
Note to forum, jingle is usually right.
I'm actually disappointed he's not Kim Jong-Il

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2017, 07:29:15 AM »

God I love you.

You two get a room.  :)