Author Topic: Rock/Metal/Prog print magazine subscriptions?  (Read 827 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Rock/Metal/Prog print magazine subscriptions?
« on: May 22, 2017, 02:11:37 PM »
Being an old journalist who remembers the pre-Internet days, I have a fondness for print magazines -- music in particular. I recently plunked down a bit of coin for subscriptions to Classic Rock, Metal Hammer, and Prog. I was getting tired of forgetting to go pick up issues. Anyone else here prefer print subscriptions?

For daily news coverage, stuff like Blabbermouth is fine. But when something is done really well, and stuff is in long-form format, I still prefer the tangible media. Just curious who here has similar metal/rock/prog subscriptions, and are you happy with them?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Rock/Metal/Prog print magazine subscriptions?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 03:45:44 PM »
The last print magazine I bought on a regular basis was the Canadian based Brave Words and Bloody Knuckles magazine. Not sure if you were into that one Brian. But I would look forward to it each month because it would come with a cd within the magazine. I remember I discovered quite a few bands that way.

Even today, even though I don't buy them, I will still flip through a rock or metal magazine if I have a few minutes to spare in a store.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 08:01:03 PM »
Kerrang was my bible when I was a kid. Metal Hammer too, when I could find a store that carried it.

I'd take the Bravewords website over Blabbermouth all day long. I check it daily.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 08:13:24 PM »
I haven't bought a magazine in years, and probably never will again to be honest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 09:39:27 PM »
The last and only magazine I bought was the one that came with a live Opeth album. Hard Rock Café I think.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 09:49:02 PM »
I have truckloads of old metal/guitar mags but I picked the ones I wanted from the store - never subscribed.   Haven't actually frequented a newsagent for as long as I can remember.   Another industry pretty much wiped out by the internet.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 07:23:54 AM »
I'm a subscriber of Empire (biggest German prog magazine, also wrote some articles for it)

https://empiremusic.de/

Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 10:54:06 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Pretty much what I figured. I will admit the convenience of the Internet really is appealing. But I still dig sitting down on the couch, listening to a record, and reading a metal mag.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 02:22:51 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Pretty much what I figured. I will admit the convenience of the Internet really is appealing. But I still dig sitting down on the couch, listening to a record, and reading a metal mag.

I subscribed to Metal Hammer for years but stopped last year at some point. My Dad got me a subscription to Prog magazine for Christmas, which is ok but focuses more on that classic prog era than I'd like. I might go back to Metal Hammer at some point. I always enjoyed coming home to find a new issue waiting for me. I kept all my old copies in the bathroom (prime reading time).

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 02:32:39 PM »
I've had a monthly subscription to Prog magazine for a few years now.  I became hooked when I stumbled across it in a local Barnes & Noble in 2013 and read an article about Tesseract's Altered State album.  I hadn't heard of Tesseract at the time, and I subsequently fell in love with that album, and I've been a loyal reader of Prog ever since.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 02:44:51 PM »
I'm with you in terms of longing for the old days of just sitting down on the couch with the mag and flipping through the pages.  Getting the news on the Internet just isn't the same, for a variety of reasons (quality, depth, that feeling of handling and reading printed media).  But as a practical matter, I'm with everyone else--I haven't done that in quite some time and don't really plan to.  Part of it is the convenience factor you mentioned.  But there is also the issue of printed news just not being as current as what you can almost always find on social media or the Internet in general.  In this age of information coming out so quickly, reading something that is weeks old just makes it feel stale.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."