Author Topic: Scenes From A Memory - A Tribute To Dream Theater  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Yesmaestro

Scenes From A Memory - A Tribute To Dream Theater
« on: May 20, 2017, 06:12:12 PM »
Couldn't find that this was posted yet but I just saw this video on YT. It's a great cover of Scenes from a group in Sweden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntLqUg-4VcY&feature=youtu.be

Offline PetFish

Re: Scenes From A Memory - A Tribute To Dream Theater
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 12:16:12 AM »
Makes me wish I lived in Europe cuz that's where all this cool stuff seems to happen.

Pathetic how people just love to give LaBrie crap on the Internet.  Yeah, let's all talk shit about a 50-year old getting schooled by kids who haven't been singing their asses off for 30 years.  Really cool.

If you really wanna see a tribute band check out Systematic Chaos:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC9ww4Z-Qa8
Now if these guys were in Europe instead of North America I bet they'd be huge.

Offline wrighty

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 04:22:32 PM »
The first one looks pretty good - I didn't watch the whole thing, but they did Dance of Eternity pretty well.

The second one I'm afraid looks like more of a parody act.  I'm sure they're very good, but trying a bit to hard to imitate for my liking.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 11:48:18 PM »
Yeah, but that's what "tribute" bands are.  The first one is a "cover" band.

There are many tribute bands all over that go the whole way for bands like Steel Dragon, KISS, Pink Floyd, Bon Jovi, etc.  It's like a next-level commitment that elevates it beyond just playing the music.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 08:15:39 AM »
The OP one was pretty damn impressive I have to say. Good choice on the female vocalist.

Yeah, but that's what "tribute" bands are.  The first one is a "cover" band.

There are many tribute bands all over that go the whole way for bands like Steel Dragon, KISS, Pink Floyd, Bon Jovi, etc.  It's like a next-level commitment that elevates it beyond just playing the music.

It's a dangerous line to walk though, and I think it's best reserved for bands with big visuals. I've seen The Musical Box live (Gabriel-era Genesis tribute band) and it was incredible with all the costumes. Wearing a wig to look like JM, that can easily drift into a parody.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 09:32:58 AM »
I think DT is one of the last bands that warrants the "tribute" treatment. I agree it's best left to bands with a strong visual element. I think DT fans would respect and appreciate the ability to play the music at all, which is what counts with DT.

Excellent band performance overall, and a well mixed and edited video too. My congrats to them for being able to pull this off.
The vocalist was the only negative for me. I didn't think her style of voice fitted the music super well, and she wasn't amazing. The "production" also didn't help, and made her sound very wobbly.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 11:39:22 AM »
I have often found that vocalists are the ones least able to adjust their own style. I'm not sure whether it's a function of pride, or just a limitation of the instrument.

Offline CB

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2017, 01:55:25 PM »
Couldn't find that this was posted yet but I just saw this video on YT. It's a great cover of Scenes from a group in Sweden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntLqUg-4VcY&feature=youtu.be

That's definitely impressive. To me it sounds a bit tame though, I miss the spark, energy and emotion of the real DT...

As a non-musician I wonder why someone with great musical talent would form a cover band or tribute band instead of putting all the energy in composing and playing own songs, just adding a cover from a favorite band now and then???

That Systematic Chaos Video ... my first thought was: What is Jordan Rudess doing in that band :laugh:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2017, 02:48:46 PM »
As a non-musician I wonder why someone with great musical talent would form a cover band or tribute band instead of putting all the energy in composing and playing own songs, just adding a cover from a favorite band now and then???

Many reasons, some of which:

- It is infinitely easier to pull off a cover/tribute band. Everybody can just go home and practice the songs, often with tabs and videos available. Original bands need to regularly meet to write stuff.
- An original band lives and dies off the songwriting, and the players doing their homework and providing creative (and good) input. There is almost invariably discrepancy in that, with some people just not having bothered, or worse, providing some awful that the rest of the band has to tiptoe around in trying to shut down
- The staff requirements on a tribute band are super easy. "Looking for guitarist/drummer who can sound and play like this video..." Original bands are much harder that way. There's the inevitable "shouldn't we get a harpsichord player? I know someone who fits the bill", with someone replying "I dunno, I was hoping we'd stay in the fruit metal genre".
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 02:55:25 PM by rumborak »

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 03:28:32 PM »
any band that puts forward that kind of quality reproduction of another band's work in tribute should be applauded. They did a great job.

The singer did as well.

As for James -- I've said this a bunch on here...the man gets WAY unfairly criticized for what he does. People who aren't singers don't understand just how difficult those vocal parts are. I'm a baritone, and so most of James' early stuff needs to be dropped for me to get anywhere close. And those that are tenors, go ahead, ask them. It's incredible what he did, particularly on Images.

Now, remember dude was 20-something when he recorded it, and is 50-something now. Shit. Is. Hard. All the crap he gets from people is ridiculously undeserved. I saw a comment about him being "lazy?!!?!" REALLY? Going out and singing I&W, and oh BTW, all of ACOS night after night, is LAZY?

Singers have to pick and choose what to go for, particularly the high-end stuff, depending on where their voice is at that particular gig, to deliver as professional a performance as possible. The very fact James performed I&W in Europe, while sick, and still sounded pretty decent overall, is a testament to the kind of professional he is.

I used to be seriously critical of singers, and to a degree, I still am, if someone just blows something off. But James Labrie brings everything he has on a nightly basis, singing operatic vocals he recorded THREE DECADES AGO. Really not cool to criticize him if the effort is there. He does what he can, and one day, he won't be around any longer. Frankly, I just appreciate what he and DT give us at this point.

I'm not a big fan of recent DT tunes, but that band goes out and gives it their all, and I for one, particularly with JLB, really appreciate it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 04:09:37 PM »
That was seriously awesome!!

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline PetFish

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 11:44:40 PM »
Well, "cover band" or "tribute band", I think it looks like we can all agree these are awesome no matter what, and I'm happy with that.

Thanks to all these guys that put in such a great effort.  Noice!

Offline wrighty

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 01:41:31 PM »
Slightly off topic perhaps, but I agree with Samsara regarding James.  It's perfectly possible, and even normal, to maintain one's ability to play an instrument into late middle and even old age. There are many examples from classical music of pianists for example playing incredibly technical pieces in their 70s and 80s.  It doesn't work the same with the voice.  It degenerates, like the rest of the body, such that the notes that were once hit with ease become unattainable.  From the other thread, Freddie Mercury is many posters' favourite singer.  Look at his live performances from 1974 compared with 1986.  Same for Dio - he detuned by a tone in his later years.

JLB suffered on the Astonishing tour I think because of the relentless vocal duties he had to do.  For me, he more than made up for it on the I&W show.  He's a brilliant singer - much respect!