1 (6.7%)
November
0 (0%)
December
0 (0%)
This poll is stupid
7 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Best month for music releases  (Read 1695 times)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

Best month for music releases
« on: May 19, 2017, 06:28:40 AM »
I occasionally hear people talk about best & worst months for movie releases & I was wondering if there was a parallel for music. Do you think there is one & if so, what would you say are the highlight/lowlight months & why?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Best month for music releases
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 06:38:21 AM »
I don't think the poll is stupid (as one of the options say), but in the world of the kind of music we (we as "People bothered enough to register on a DT forum") like, any month is a good month for good music that you're interested in.

I think the question has more sense from a commercial point of view, in the pop world, where marketing is half of the importance.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 08:27:12 AM »
I voted "I think the poll is stupid". No one cares about which month an album is released, only the year. In fact, for many albums from the 70s, 60s, etc, people don't know in which month the albums were released. I mean that you can't find it in which month an album was released even if you google and research it, no one knows.

The release of an album in a certain month is accidental. Even though an album is already recorded, it has to be mixed and so on and it can only be released months after that. So due to certain schedule problems, it is accidental. The same is also valid for the year, but it has much less chance of it happening.

Now, if you are talking about classical music, even year becomes a problem. For so many works we don't know in which year a certain composition was made, we can only estimate.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 04:19:48 PM »
Yeah, the month of the release is totally insignificant, sorrry.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 06:54:12 PM »
:dunno:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 07:02:22 PM »
Yeah, I'm sorry.  Just release music any month and take all my money.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 07:33:56 PM »
Whatever month a new Iron Maiden album is released.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 08:28:04 PM »
Whatever month Radiation Romeos is coming out.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 08:29:15 PM »
You know it! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 09:18:31 PM »
Whatever month a new Iron Maiden album is released.
Correct.

I don't think the question is as stupid as people are making it out to be. Obviously it doesn't make a difference in the long term, but I do enjoy a good summer album.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 09:40:54 PM »
I don't think the question is as stupid as people are making it out to be. Obviously it doesn't make a difference in the long term, but I do enjoy a good summer album.
If the same album was released in winter, wouldn't you enjoy it? Or does it depend entirely on the season it is released?  ;D

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 09:44:05 PM »
If the same album was released in winter, wouldn't you enjoy it? Or does it depend entirely on the season it is released?  ;D

That wasn't the question I was trying to ask. I asked what moths generally had the best album releases, not which albums make you enjoy the music the most.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 09:48:20 PM »
That wasn't the question I was trying to ask.
I know. I quoted his post for a reason..  ::)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 10:02:53 PM »
Don't be a dick and answer his question.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 10:19:56 PM »

Who are you referring to?

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2017, 10:34:27 AM »
September, in my experience. Take, for example, the glorious month of September 2011. Visions. A Dramatic Turn of Events. Grace for Drowning. Heritage. All released in that month. I rest my case.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2017, 11:43:25 AM »
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble here, but from a marketing standpoint there's obviously better months to release an album than others. Months that are excellent are January, February, March, (maybe April) & September. Months that suck are (May), June, July, August and December. This plays out especially well for lesser known bands. For large bands with a huge following, it doesn't really matter, as people will know and buy (or listen to) the stuff anyway. For a band that's not know, releasing in June is a very stupid idea, as the summer will follow (less gigs due to vacation) and people won't remember it. After summer, your record is dated. Same thing goes for December (and to a lesser extent November as well).

I'd say February and September are the best months to release a CD.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2017, 12:53:27 PM »

Who are you referring to?

ChuckSteak

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2017, 05:30:29 PM »
This thread is doomed.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2017, 06:08:49 AM »
Whatever month Radiation Romeos is coming out.

We should make the release date of this album a national holiday on DTF!  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2017, 10:05:22 AM »
September and October, March and June seem to be some of the best, but I don't see it as a consistent thing.

Other than December and November even are typically weaker. December especially per most of the releases that come out in December are Holiday-related, Live, or Compilations which are often directed for Holiday-gifts. Which is 1 of the reasons I have changed my Schedule/Calendar for my blog to consider anything after Halloween for the next Year of releases.

Also, I'm not done, but I have been making this series of blogs where I research and compose as closely as I can, each historical order of releases for each Calendar year.

I have a Master List that has links to all of the Calendars I've made so far here. If one wants to look at some of those entries, they can look at what months may include more of the biggest albums, etc historically going back to 1965 (although admittedly, the 60's lists are more limited in numbers per my taste).

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2017, 11:08:56 AM »
December is certainly the worst month. You miss out on "album of the year" threads, with too little time before the end of the year to digest its worth, and your album gets lost in the mists of transition from one year to another.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2017, 02:13:23 PM »
December is certainly the worst month. You miss out on "album of the year" threads, with too little time before the end of the year to digest its worth, and your album gets lost in the mists of transition from one year to another.
Yes, I remember that the album "Quickly Quickly Quickly" by a band called The Tea Club came out in December and I thought that it was a weird decision because it was impossible that that album could enter into the best prog releases in someone's end year list, which is a great opportunity for unknown bands.