Author Topic: Chris Cornell dead at age 52...  (Read 21440 times)

Offline Art

Re: Chris Cornell dead at age 52...
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2017, 06:48:35 AM »
I can't believe it could be suicide, either. He posted a lot of photos with his kids and seemed so happy... :(

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2017, 06:49:41 AM »
It's so hard to know what's really going on in people's lives. I would tend to agree that I would find it hard to believe this was suicide, but you never know.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2017, 06:51:43 AM »
The circumstances would make suicide plausible.  Hours after a show, hotel room etc. could be speculation of course.

But yeah, it's hard to see that being the case, but as mikey said, you just never know sometimes.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2017, 07:00:58 AM »
Damn. RIP.  Was never really into Sound Garden, but damn did he have a great voice.  Those soundgarden singles from the 90s were a big part of my radio listening from my child hood.  Even though I never bought an album or got into them, their music still was apart of my life and I'll never forget his voice.  So young too. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2017, 07:01:23 AM »
Could be his drug abuse catching up with him. Don't want to speculate any more than that.

This is really shocking.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2017, 07:15:05 AM »

5:34 AM PT -- TMZ has confirmed with police the family friend had to force his way into Cornell's room and found him with a band around his neck. We're told there was no blood, and police suspect suicide based on the scene.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2017, 07:16:06 AM »
5:34 AM PT -- TMZ has confirmed with police the family friend had to force his way into Cornell's room and found him with a band around his neck. We're told there was no blood, and police suspect suicide based on the scene.

Wow...

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2017, 07:16:25 AM »
Completely unbelievable. Soundgarden was back.

Rest in peace. I always preferred Audioslave to Soundgarden, but Cornell's voice was fantastic.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2017, 07:21:46 AM »
This is terrible news to wake up to. RIP Chris

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2017, 07:25:00 AM »
Such a fuckin' bummer this morning,  been listening to Hunger Strike on a loop  https://youtu.be/VUb450Alpps

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2017, 08:17:58 AM »
https://www.garstangcourier.co.uk/news/offbeat/rock-star-chris-cornell-may-have-taken-own-life-1-8550037

a wife and 3 kids, can only wonder why, if this is the case.

I say this all the time; I know personally two people that committed suicide, and NO ONE even remotely guessed that either one would do such a thing.   It's not like the TV shows tell you.   

This has me very sad.  Almost as sad as John Wetton.

Think about this for a second:   I just saw him with Tempe of the Dog in Madison Square Garden.  Two hour show, and he sang the whole thing.   In addition to his stuff (including one song solo with just an acoustic guitar), he sang:
- Andy Wood (Mother Love Bone)
- Eddie Vedder (from "Hunger Strike")
- Harry Nilsson (they did "Jump Into The Fire")
- Paul Rodgers (they did "I'm a Mover" by Free)
- David Bowie (they did "Quicksand")
- Layne Staley (they did "River of Deceit" by Mad Season)
- Robert Plant (they did "Achilles Last Stand", the highlight of the set)
- Ozzy Osbourne (they did "War Pigs", which was just THUNDERING)
- Robert Smith (the did "Fascination Street" by The Cure)

In other shows, not mine, they also did "Hey Baby (The New Rising Sun)" by Hendrix, and "Baby Lemonade" by Syd Barrett.   

He delivered on ALL of them.  Not one was "rough" or an "approximation" or "just getting by".  He was also humble and modest; at one point, after Achilles Last Stand, he stood there as people just went NUTS (I can't even put into words how good that song was; Matt Cameron is a BEAST), he said something to the effect of "When I was a kid, I couldn't even imagine doing THAT song, in THIS place (Zeppelin in MSG is legendary, and in fact, they recorded the live material for "The Song Remains The Same" there over several night (three I think?) in 1973.  Every tour had multiple nights at MSG, and along with the LA Forum, they played no other venue more (16 times each)).

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2017, 08:22:25 AM »

On one hand, it's an empty consolation that it wasn't a tragic, unlucky and unfortunate chance of fate to cut short for no reason a life. On the other hand... playing a concert and then make it all end... I'll echo the feelings of the others on this, you never know what may go on in someone's head.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2017, 08:27:39 AM »

Speaking of Zeppelin, Soundgarden's last song last night was Zeppelin's "In My Time of Dying".

Fuck.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2017, 08:28:52 AM »

Speaking of Zeppelin, Soundgarden's last song last night was Zeppelin's "In My Time of Dying".

Fuck.

Wow, thats so sad

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2017, 08:32:50 AM »
I guess it was the day he tried to die...

I'm a cunt.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2017, 08:37:39 AM »
Man, this is really sad news.  I remember picking up Badmotorfinger after it came out (bought it with Fates Warning's Parallels), and would just lose myself in that record.  It was so heavy, but it was also a really beautiful record.  The songs could be nimble and agile (Rusty Cage), relentless (Jesus Christ Pose), playful (Face Pollution, Drawing Flies), spacey (Room a Thousand Years Wide, Searching With My Good Eye Closed), and so fucking heavy (Slaves and Bulldozers, New Damage).  They created this massive sound, and here comes Cornell's voice cutting through like a siren call to unleash the fury of a horde of shrieking demons ready to rip your soul to shreds.  That record helped me survive the early months of 1992 as my family was getting ready to leave Pennsylvania for Michigan.  In many ways, I felt like I was on a wreck that was going down, and I got out before I drowned.  Superunknown didn't hit me in quite the same way, and I never really dug the singles on that record, but the album cuts were genius.  Songs like Fresh Tendrils, Mailman, 4th of July, the title track, Limo Wreck  :metal, man, such great tunes!  I dug Down on the Upside a lot as well, as I listened to that record a ton when that came out in 1996.  I'm bummed I never got to see them live, but a few of my co-workers went to the show last night.  I didn't like his work with Audioslave, but the Temple of the Dog record through Down on the Upside is untouchable. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2017, 08:38:45 AM »

Fuck.

He did that on a couple of shows before Detroit. According to Setlist.fm.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2017, 08:55:36 AM »
https://www.garstangcourier.co.uk/news/offbeat/rock-star-chris-cornell-may-have-taken-own-life-1-8550037

I say this all the time; I know personally two people that committed suicide, and NO ONE even remotely guessed that either one would do such a thing.   It's not like the TV shows tell you.   

Not only that, but it's also not as if certain "life achievements", be that wife, kids, nobel price, whatever, saves you from being depressed if you are prone to suffer from it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2017, 08:57:06 AM »
For me, that intro to "Searching With My Good Eye Closed" - "This is my good eye... Do you hear a cow?... A rooster says... Here is a pig... The devil says..." then that EPIC scream, the tight, rolling fill from Matt Cameron into the spacey and dreamy "Painted blue across my eyes..."   One of my favorite moments in all of recorded music.   

And for all his bluster, that was a guy who I could listen to with just an acoustic guitar all day long.  I LOVED all the acoustic stuff he did (and think it amazing that for Singles, he was asked to come up with some "song titles" for a fake record by the in-movie band "Citizen Dick", and instead wrote an entire acoustic album). 

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2017, 09:19:04 AM »
So sad!  At a loss for words..  :(
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Cable

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2017, 10:04:03 AM »

Thank you Stadler for always playing the factual side to suicide whenever it happens.

Severe depression causes brain changes, and can be reproduced in animals (inhibited flight-fight-freeze response). Positive stimuli (spouse and kids) do not have the same effect. Although he had a lot more going on medically, look no further than Robin Williams.
---

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2017, 10:09:00 AM »

Thank you Stadler for always playing the factual side to suicide whenever it happens.

Severe depression causes brain changes, and can be reproduced in animals (inhibited flight-fight-freeze response). Positive stimuli (spouse and kids) do not have the same effect. Although he had a lot more going on medically, look no further than Robin Williams.

Tears of a Clown, totally agree.  You never know what's going on inside someone's head.  What we see on the outside may be completely different than what is being felt on the inside.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2017, 10:25:15 AM »

There's also the Michael Hutchence/David Carradine scenario in cases like this.

God, this is awful.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2017, 10:33:39 AM »
This is just brutal news.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2017, 11:03:51 AM »

Add Kevin Gilbert to that list.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2017, 11:14:48 AM »

Add Kevin Gilbert to that list.

Thought went through my head as well.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2017, 11:45:39 AM »

I just had a friend whose father was close to Cornell chew me out hardcore because I said suicides aren't always a case of "I saw it coming" when she said she *knows* there's no way he committed suicide. Granted, nothing has been officially confirmed yet, but she can't claim to *know* he didn't. I damn sure don't talk shit about anyone who does commit suicide, either, because I know whatever feeling led them to it HAD to be worse than the idea of hurting those they left behind. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2017, 11:53:25 AM »

I just had a friend whose father was close to Cornell chew me out hardcore because I said suicides aren't always a case of "I saw it coming" when she said she *knows* there's no way he committed suicide. Granted, nothing has been officially confirmed yet, but she can't claim to *know* he didn't. I damn sure don't talk shit about anyone who does commit suicide, either, because I know whatever feeling led them to it HAD to be worse than the idea of hurting those they left behind.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/michigan/articles/2017-05-18/medical-examiner-determines-soundgarden-singer-chris-cornell-committed-suicide-by-hanging-in-Detroit

It's official.  I feel like crying.  Seriously. 

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2017, 12:06:15 PM »
Shocking news! What a great performer.

R.I.P. Chris

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2017, 12:07:35 PM »
Man, I'm at a loss for words. His voice truly was legendary, and it always boggled my mind how he was able to play that syncopated riff to Rusty Cage and sing over the top of it. Rest in peace.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2017, 12:08:21 PM »
As others have said - really hoping it wasn't the result of auto erotic asphyxiation.

What a way to be remembered.

From that moment on you're no longer the amazing lead singer of Soundgarden - you're " that bloke who died having a w--- ".

Offline SolidSnake

« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2017, 12:14:06 PM »
When I heard the news, I put up Steel Rain, and yes it was pouring...

Hugely talented and will be sorely missed.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2017, 12:14:15 PM »
Fucking horrible.

What will also be horrible is the inevitable conspiracy theories.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2017, 12:14:25 PM »
As others have said - really hoping it wasn't the result of auto erotic asphyxiation.

What a way to be remembered.

From that moment on you're no longer the amazing lead singer of Soundgarden - you're " that bloke who died having a w--- ".

Yeah, it's such an absurd way to throw away one's life that suicide, a horrible decision that affects deeply friends and family, looks like a better alternative.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Art

« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2017, 12:16:16 PM »

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/michigan/articles/2017-05-18/medical-examiner-determines-soundgarden-singer-chris-cornell-committed-suicide-by-hanging-in-Detroit

It's official.  I feel like crying.  Seriously.

That's horrible :( :(

I wish that his family and close friends can find strenght to endure this moment.

To lighten up, here's a cool version where he played U2's One with lyrics from Metallica's One:
https://www.revolvermag.com/artist-artist-video-videos/watch-chris-cornell-sing-u2s-one-lyrics-metallicas-one/23387