Author Topic: Chris Cornell dead at age 52...  (Read 21422 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Chris Cornell dead at age 52...
« Reply #245 on: June 15, 2017, 10:58:36 AM »
For my money, Badmotorfinger was Soundgarden's pinnacle as a band, and one of my top hard rock/metal records of all time. I picked up the Super Deluxe Edition upon Chris' passing (I had intended to do it anyway), and man, what a trip. Such an amazing box set (I fully recommend it, despite the cost -- it cost me 180 total, but you can get it slight cheaper on Amazon).

I did the exact same thing.  I meant to and meant to... and then just hit "Buy It Now" (but I paid less than $180; shop around, if you're in the States).   

Jammindude is a big proponent of the early Soundgarden, and I usually start with Badmotorfinger and move more current.  But I was stranded in an airport last night and listened to Screaming Life (their first EP), FOPP, Louder Than Love, and a collection of later b-sides I have, and man, did they hit the spot.  His voice was so strong and so versatile... I think without question, he's the best singer AND best frontman to come out of Seattle (well, grunge; I think Ann Wilson is a better singer).

I saw it on Amazon cheaper after I had already bought it. The impulse hit me, and I couldn't cancel as it had processed and shipped before I thought about it.  :lol It's OK, I don't mind giving those guys another $30.

Yeah, I went back and listened to Ultramega OK, and Louder Than Love last week (and I bought the expanded Ultramega that is completely remixed). Different, but really good stuff. Badmotorfinger will always be tops, but man, Soundgarden was a force.

And I'm with you on Ann Wilson. From the "known" voices that came from Seattle, for me personally:

1. Geoff Tate (in his prime) - not quite as versatile as others, but such legendary range and power, along with that great presence he had on stage to draw you in from 1981-1992.

2. Ann Wilson - I don't even need to explain this.

3. Chris Cornell - for reasons stated above

4. Layne Staley - Layne just...he was just a beast. When healthy, he arguably had the best control over his instrument out of everyone on this list, and that is saying something. Not quite the range of the others, obviously, but man. Just...intense.

5. Ted Pilot - Ok, this is a bit of a fanboy pick. But if you were in Seattle in the early 1980s, you knew Ted Pilot's name. The tone of Don Dokken with the range and power of Tate. He only recorded two records (Fifth Angel's self-titled debut, and follow-up, Time Will Tell), but his ability was amazing. And yes, I know, I know, totally a fanboy pick. But if you heard him, you could have easily made the argument...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #246 on: June 15, 2017, 12:13:03 PM »
Fun fact.....Peter Orullian (very talented local writer who is working on the novelization of The Astonishing) is currently Ted Pilot's replacement in the Fifth Angel reunion shows they've been playing.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #247 on: June 15, 2017, 12:15:58 PM »
Fun fact.....Peter Orullian (very talented local writer who is working on the novelization of The Astonishing) is currently Ted Pilot's replacement in the Fifth Angel reunion shows they've been playing.

Yep! Pete and the Fifth Angel guys are friends. I was up at their show in Seattle in the spring. Good stuff! I am really excited to see those guys put together a record.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #248 on: June 15, 2017, 03:58:31 PM »
I just like the name "Ted Pilot".  :) 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #249 on: July 03, 2017, 08:16:23 PM »
I didn't know where else to put this, but I just picked up the remix/remaster of Ultramega OK and all I can say is...

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

This is HANDS DOWN (or maybe "hands all over"?  :rollin ) the greatest remix in terms of improvement on the original I have ever heard in my life!!!

I grew up with this album, and I always loved it, but I'm the first to admit that it was an extremely "muddy" album.   This sounds like a brand new album from a very young Soundgarden. 

Anyone who is a Soundgarden fan, even if you don't think you dig Ultramega OK, PLEASE go get this.  I cannot believe how much better it sounds. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: July 20, 2017, 12:34:42 PM »
Just saw this https://www.tmz.com/2017/07/20/linkin-park-singer-chester-bennington-dead-commits-suicide/

So sad, but I tied it to this thread because of this quote from the article

Chester was very close with Chris Cornell, who himself committed suicide by hanging in May. Today would have been Cornell's 53rd birthday. Chester wrote an open letter to Chris on the day of Chris' suicide.

:sad:

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: July 20, 2017, 05:21:26 PM »
Chester was godfather to one of Chris Cornell's kids. They were very close. For it to happen on Chris's birthday... hard to believe that's a coincidence. So sad. :(