Author Topic: Chris Cornell dead at age 52...  (Read 21456 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Chris Cornell dead at age 52...
« Reply #210 on: May 24, 2017, 11:25:05 PM »
I thought James' response was fine, and forgetting the lyrics is human - it's the intention that matters. The BM headline was in poor taste anyway, because it was like an open invitation to bashing: "lol look, this guy sucks!" I mean come on, Mustaine couldn't hit the notes on Outshined and admitted it himself, but BM didn't put out a headline like "Mustaine tries to sing Soundgarden and fails."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #211 on: May 25, 2017, 06:49:44 AM »
Awesome. Let's bust the guy's balls in the first place, and when he responds or has the nerve to actually be frustrated with it, we can bust his balls again.
Awesome.

WTF people??

Then can we bust the balls of the people that are busting his balls in the first place.  :)     

In all seriousness, though, for me, this is yet another excuse to yell "GET OFF MY LAWN!".    Back in the day, this would have happened, and a local journalist would have caught it, and printed it somewhere, but the fury would have died down and it would have been something like "In a recent show, Dream Theater vocalist James LaBrie and keyboard player Jordan Rudess gave a rough, impromptu performance of "Black Hole Sun" in homage to fallen singer guitarist Chris Cornell, in perhaps the most moving moment in the show."  and it would have ended there.

This constant barrage of information 24-7 is sometimes just too much.   

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: May 25, 2017, 09:10:05 AM »
^
Exactly!
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #213 on: May 25, 2017, 11:03:01 AM »
So do I now get to bust the balls of the guy who's busting the balls of the few people who are busting the balls of the many people who are busting JLB's balls?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #214 on: May 25, 2017, 11:13:29 AM »
So do I now get to bust the balls of the guy who's busting the balls of the few people who are busting the balls of the many people who are busting JLB's balls?

Dude, what is it with you and balls?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #215 on: May 25, 2017, 11:33:15 AM »
No thank you, I'm trying to cut back.

Wait, what?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #216 on: May 25, 2017, 11:36:36 AM »
Balls to the walls

Man.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #217 on: May 25, 2017, 06:18:25 PM »

Offline V_R11

« Reply #218 on: May 26, 2017, 08:44:04 AM »
LaBrie's original comment about him forgetting the lyrics was fine, but thanking people for the feedback three individual times was maybe more than enough :laugh:
Seasons change and so can I

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Art

« Reply #220 on: May 27, 2017, 06:57:12 AM »

this picture of jerry just crushed me  :(

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #221 on: May 27, 2017, 07:58:53 AM »
Listening to "Chris Cornell - Unplugged In Sweden" atm. Fell On Black Days works so great acoustic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3Qjk9LqDvw
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Mladen

« Reply #222 on: May 27, 2017, 08:53:37 AM »
Wow, Jerry's got long hair again!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #223 on: May 27, 2017, 11:11:35 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Cable

« Reply #224 on: May 27, 2017, 06:36:44 PM »
https://eddietrunk.com/singer-chris-cornell-reportedly-had-marks-on-his-arm/

I wasn't far off in my personal view that he had a cocktail of stuff, in conjunction with a reoccurrence of mental health stuff. Such a shame, and might not be unreasonable the opioids were cut with fentanyl or carfentanyl. Daily management of this stuff. :-\
---

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: May 27, 2017, 07:31:57 PM »
This is a very good tribute from The Pretty Reckless, who were on tour with Soundgarden. I'm pretty sure I've heard Taylor Momsen name Soundgarden as her favorite band in the past as well, and she can barely hold herself together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5UsxLcZ1Cg

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #226 on: May 28, 2017, 08:30:50 PM »

Out of all the Black Hole Sun covers, this just became my favorite, and it's only guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZjFItgZhqY&feature=share

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: May 30, 2017, 07:00:33 AM »

this picture of jerry just crushed me  :(

Wow, yeah, me too.   That's a guy that is saying to himself, "how many times do I have to fucking DO this??" 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #228 on: June 01, 2017, 08:35:12 AM »
Add me to the list of fans who are crushed by that Jerry Cantrell picture. Man...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #229 on: June 02, 2017, 03:55:33 PM »
Just saw this in the news:

" According to the toxicology report obtained by TMZ, the Soundgarden and Audioslave frontman had Naloxone (Narcan), Butalbital (sedative), Lorazepam (Ativan), Pseudoephedrine (decongestant) and barbiturates in his system at the time of his death. TMZ reports that it also appears that Cornell had taken four (1 mg) Lorazepam tablets."

"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Cable

« Reply #230 on: June 02, 2017, 05:35:10 PM »
Narcan is the odd one here. Unless he had some of that, used it to counteract opioids but for it not to work in time. I don't know however if narcan erases opioids from the system.
---

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #231 on: June 02, 2017, 07:33:16 PM »
He was at some point battling with Oxycodone addiction, maybe that's why he had it available. Dunno, I'm always amazed to see the drug cocktails of famous people. IIRC, Michael Jackson's toxicology report sent me to Wikipedia for a while.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #232 on: June 02, 2017, 08:13:14 PM »
  Dunno, I'm always amazed to see the drug cocktails of famous people.

Don't know what each of those drugs does, but seems like a lot of stuff. How involved is the doctor?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: June 02, 2017, 10:10:03 PM »
Narcan is the odd one here. Unless he had some of that, used it to counteract opioids but for it not to work in time. I don't know however if narcan erases opioids from the system.

That is weird.    it doesn't erase opioids from the system but attaches to receptors in the brain (where heroin or other opioids would exert their effects)  and blocks them.   The body can then excrete the drugs over time .

Narcan can be used as part of a cocktail to help heroin addicts withdraw (not all that common and I don't see mention of the other drugs) -  by far its main use is as an emergency "block" to quickly block an opioid overdose.

I get the feeling that his family were in the dark if they think he was "sober" leading up to this night.  You don't all of a sudden end up binging on Narcan and barbiturates..
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 10:17:05 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #234 on: June 02, 2017, 11:34:31 PM »
  Dunno, I'm always amazed to see the drug cocktails of famous people.

Don't know what each of those drugs does, but seems like a lot of stuff. How involved is the doctor?
It's a lot of stuff, but several of them are for different, reasonable things. One was a decongestant. Another is prescribed for migraines (though they didn't mention any analgesics). He was taking too much stuff but some of it is certainly understandable.

The 4mg of lorazapam is high but not insane. Compared to other benzos it's around a common recreational dose. Enough to make a normal person stumble around a bit in a stupor. In his case, if he'd built up a high tolerance he could have hit that just looking for a therapeutic dose.

The Narcan might have been used to treat opiod induced constipation. That's the only off-label use I've come across.

He was at some point battling with Oxycodone addiction, maybe that's why he had it available. Dunno, I'm always amazed to see the drug cocktails of famous people. IIRC, Michael Jackson's toxicology report sent me to Wikipedia for a while.
Anna Nichole Smith had a small sized pharmacy in her system. That's the biggest celebrity killing cocktail I've seen so far. Though it was chloral hydrate that did her in and it's possible the the rest of them might not have made any difference.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: June 02, 2017, 11:39:48 PM »
Different countries have different prescribing methods but I never saw Narcan used for constipation  (although it makes sense the side effects such as withdrawals and counteracting the pain relief make it a last resort ) and he had no opioids in his system.  Another weird thing is that they say Butalbital and barbiturates.  Butalbital IS a barbiturate.   Perhaps there was some unintended doubling up.

I wouldn't mind betting that the Sudafed was to wake him up for the show.

Anyway........he's certainly on enough stuff to cause confusion and some sort of reaction.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 11:45:57 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #236 on: June 05, 2017, 12:32:16 AM »
I'm on an overnighter commercial shoot in Downtown LA tonight, and with the help of coffee, the grip department was blasting to Jesus Christ Pose to help get us pumped up for the night.

Cornell's vocals in that song is God like

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: June 05, 2017, 05:08:59 AM »

Wasn't Jacko having like major operation anaesthetic to "sleep" and some other powerful drug to wake up ?

So he was unconscious and not really sleeping ?

And he had gone without proper sleep for like a week or so.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #238 on: June 05, 2017, 08:24:55 AM »

Wasn't Jacko having like major operation anaesthetic to "sleep" and some other powerful drug to wake up ?

So he was unconscious and not really sleeping ?

And he had gone without proper sleep for like a week or so.
Insomnia is a recurring theme in these sorts of cases. Some people are just permanently wired. Mind racing full speed 24-7 so they rely on downers. Jackson and ANS certainly fit into this category. In Jackson's case I recall that he probably set a record for longest span without REM sleep, which probably would have killed him the same as the propofol overdose. The reason they employed Conrad Murray was because he was willing to do whatever the patient requested, which in MJ's case was nightly administration of propofol. It was a pretty unhealthy sleep, but he'd feel well rested in the morning.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #239 on: June 05, 2017, 09:14:02 AM »
I'm on an overnighter commercial shoot in Downtown LA tonight, and with the help of coffee, the grip department was blasting to Jesus Christ Pose to help get us pumped up for the night.

Cornell's vocals in that song is God like

Yes they are. Badmotorfinger is just an amazing record. I have the Super Deluxe edition coming to me this week.

As for Cornell, may he rest in peace. I am still pretty upset by the whole thing. I was down in LA the day they held his private service. Didn't have enough time to get there on Sunday to pay my respects. But will be back down in August, and will then. An incredible loss. I am sure there will be a lot of debate on just how much the drugs made Chris do what he did. The family obviously thinks it was the mix of drugs. The coroner continues to stand by, after reading the toxicology report, that it wasn't the drugs, it was clearly a suicide.

My thought -- Chris knew what he was doing. The fact he altered the set a bit to play In My Time of Dying is pretty much proof of that, at least to me. So unless there is something definitive, to me, he chose to end his life. The medications in his system probably didn't help at all, as he probably was in a bit of a daze (the live show, when you look at Chris, and listen, you can tell something isn't quite right). But he made a conscious choice, and in my opinion, knew what he was going to do even before he popped those last pills after the show.

Such a shame. another one of my favorite all-time singers gone (Layne Staley being another). Feel horrible for his kids and wife. May he rest in peace. Say hello to heaven...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #240 on: June 05, 2017, 10:56:36 AM »
Different countries have different prescribing methods but I never saw Narcan used for constipation  (although it makes sense the side effects such as withdrawals and counteracting the pain relief make it a last resort ) and he had no opioids in his system.  Another weird thing is that they say Butalbital and barbiturates.  Butalbital IS a barbiturate.   Perhaps there was some unintended doubling up.

I wouldn't mind betting that the Sudafed was to wake him up for the show.

Anyway........he's certainly on enough stuff to cause confusion and some sort of reaction.

Did a quick look, found some papers on naloxone & OIC.  Though, I'm guessing it only works up to a point...too much distention in the colon will cause damage to the machinery, so to speak, after which blocking the u-opoid receptors won't do a whole lot of good.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: June 12, 2017, 05:19:20 PM »
I just listened to part of an interview with Seth and Scott Avett of The Avett Brothers. They had performed with Chris several times over the last few years, and they revealed that they had an ongoing project in the works with Chris. They were just waiting for schedules to line up so that they could continue writing together.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #242 on: June 14, 2017, 07:23:05 PM »
As to Chris' passing and his music....

I am one of the older members of this forum.  I love 'much' of heavy metal (not all), otherwise I would not be here.  Soundgarden was a band I respected but never really gave two hoots about back in their day.  I did not like grunge, but they were better than the genre.  They were not a band that I bought an album and dug.  They were a band that, if a friend put their CD on their stereo, I would listen to, like some of it, dislike most, and then wish that the shuffle would move on to another band more to my liking.

That being said......I have so totally enjoyed (re)discovering their output the past two months.  An old dog can learn new tricks.

Moving on......as with the passing of John Lennon, and then Freddie Mercury, I so totally understand the loss and kick in the guts that Chris' passing had on his fans.  The comments in this thread allowed me to learn more about his talents....and your sadness.  The man had such a talent.  His vocals totally amaze me. 

To show my admiration for his abilities:  my wife is a total Jesus Christ Superstar....movie soundtrack groupie.  She has been for four decades.  We have met Ted Nealy a couple of times.  I am an admirer as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyKDoivRdIo

But.....I grew up with the album soundtrack. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azawb907Bjg

(we have seen this performance at high schools, churches, the Hippodrome, Broadway (2x), London....)

Ian Gillan WAS JC !!!  His pipes on that album are 11+.  For the past five years, on Good Friday, I finally had her listen to the album on headphones while I kicked back and heard it from the speakers.  On Easter night, we watch the movie.  (Saturday, we listen to 'Book of Mormon' for a change of pace.).

For those who have followed the short story long:   with Cornell's looks from the 'Jesus Christ Pose', and his frickin' 'damn I wish I had the ranges that SOB had', I truly wish I could have heard him perform 'Gethsemane' on an album, or on stage. 

To me, Freddie Mercury and Steve Perry were the greatest rock vocalists ever.  But they could not have sung 'Gethsemane' as well as Mr. Cornell.

RIP, you hard headed f*ck you all.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 11:33:23 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: June 15, 2017, 08:10:41 AM »
Wonderful post, DA. Thanks for sharing. Perry and Mercury are up there for me in regard to hard rock vocalists of all time. Like those two (and guys like Plant), Cornell's voice inspired a whole generation of singers.

To be honest, my family didn't have MTV from about 1991-1994. We didn't have cable. So I got my fill through 1990, but never really paid attention to Soundgarden. I didn't want anything to do with "grunge." But I liked what I heard from Soundgarden on the radio (as well as Alice in Chains). It wasn't until the late 1990s, when I was out of college, that I eventually realized what I had missed with Soundgarden and Alice in Chains, and quickly took it all in.

Cornell, out of all the Seattle guys who rose to fame in the 90s, in my opinion, was the best singer and songwriter. Just a musical icon. I never got to see Soundgarden live (I was going to for their next record). I saw Cornell do a 2+ hour solo show in 2007 (fully electric) which was incredible. But that was, unfortunately, the only time.

I've been going through the catalog now too, and just continued to be amazed. I was always into the heavy stuff, so I wasn't as big into his solo material. But just listening through Euphoria Mourning and Carry On, you can hear the brilliance.

For my money, Badmotorfinger was Soundgarden's pinnacle as a band, and one of my top hard rock/metal records of all time. I picked up the Super Deluxe Edition upon Chris' passing (I had intended to do it anyway), and man, what a trip. Such an amazing box set (I fully recommend it, despite the cost -- it cost me 180 total, but you can get it slight cheaper on Amazon).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: June 15, 2017, 10:50:01 AM »
For my money, Badmotorfinger was Soundgarden's pinnacle as a band, and one of my top hard rock/metal records of all time. I picked up the Super Deluxe Edition upon Chris' passing (I had intended to do it anyway), and man, what a trip. Such an amazing box set (I fully recommend it, despite the cost -- it cost me 180 total, but you can get it slight cheaper on Amazon).

I did the exact same thing.  I meant to and meant to... and then just hit "Buy It Now" (but I paid less than $180; shop around, if you're in the States).   

Jammindude is a big proponent of the early Soundgarden, and I usually start with Badmotorfinger and move more current.  But I was stranded in an airport last night and listened to Screaming Life (their first EP), FOPP, Louder Than Love, and a collection of later b-sides I have, and man, did they hit the spot.  His voice was so strong and so versatile... I think without question, he's the best singer AND best frontman to come out of Seattle (well, grunge; I think Ann Wilson is a better singer).