Author Topic: Chris Cornell dead at age 52...  (Read 21445 times)

Offline Art

Re: Chris Cornell dead at age 52...
« Reply #175 on: May 22, 2017, 01:55:19 PM »
Am I missing anything in these two discs?

Flower / Smokestack Lightning / Hands All Over / Gun / Get On The Snake / Loud Love / / Uncovered / Big Dumb Sex /Rusty Cage
Outshined / Jesus Christ Pose  / Room A Thousand Years Wide / My Wave / Fell On Black Days / Superunknown / Black Hole Sun /
Spoonman / The Day I Tried To Live

Hunger Strike / Say Hello 2 Heaven / Pretty Noose / Rhinosaur / Dusty / Ty Cobb / Never The Machine Forever / Tighter & Tighter /
Bleed Together / Blow Up The Outside World / Burden In My Hand  / Black Rain / Slaves And Bulldozers  / Gasoline

I thank those who have mentioned a track or three that meant a ton to them, that brought attention to the fact that I did not know them, as well as songs that I had totally forgotten about.

Add Holy Water and Black Rain for some amazing riffs.  :tup

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #176 on: May 22, 2017, 02:01:14 PM »
I feel I should apologize. I think my comments came across as much more belligerent than I meant them.
Nah, not really.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #177 on: May 22, 2017, 02:05:32 PM »
That's a pretty solid compilation there. They only tracks I'd probably add are Birth Ritual (recorded during the Badmotorfinger sessions) and the alternate version of New Damage, which features Brian May.

p.s. I know Cornell's solo stuff is vastly different, but you may want to give the albums a run through. Really good stuff. Not aggressive, but pretty deep.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #178 on: May 22, 2017, 02:24:38 PM »
That's a pretty solid compilation there. They only tracks I'd probably add are Birth Ritual (recorded during the Badmotorfinger sessions) and the alternate version of New Damage, which features Brian May.

p.s. I know Cornell's solo stuff is vastly different, but you may want to give the albums a run through. Really good stuff. Not aggressive, but pretty deep.

Birth Ritual is probably one of the best songs they've ever done (IMO).  That and Jesus Christ Pose are my two faves.

In terms of solo stuff, definitely check out Euphoria Morning, his first solo album.  Really good stuff.  Maybe avoid the one he did with Timbaland.  Not so good (or not good at all, depending who you ask).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #179 on: May 22, 2017, 03:45:39 PM »
Anyone know if the Temple of the Dog concerts were filmed and planned for a DVD/Blu-ray release?
There were signs all around MSG notifying concert-goers that the show was being recorded.  Couldn't figure out if that meant audio or video or both.

How did I miss that????????  I made the picture in the New York Times from the stage (I was standing about tenth row at that point) so maybe I'll get some screen time!  :) :) :)

That show was worth it for Achilles Last Stand alone.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #180 on: May 22, 2017, 03:49:50 PM »

Flower / Smokestack Lightning / Hands All Over / Gun / Get On The Snake / Loud Love / / Uncovered / Big Dumb Sex /Rusty Cage
Outshined / Jesus Christ Pose  / Room A Thousand Years Wide / My Wave / Fell On Black Days / Superunknown / Black Hole Sun /

Hunger Strike / Say Hello 2 Heaven / Pretty Noose / Rhinosaur / Dusty / Ty Cobb / Never The Machine Forever / Tighter & Tighter /
Bleed Together / Blow Up The Outside World / Burden In My Hand  / Black Rain / Slaves And Bulldozers  / Gasoline

I thank those who have mentioned a track or three that meant a ton to them, that brought attention to the fact that I did not know them, as well as songs that I had totally forgotten about.

All due respect, ditch "Hunger Strike" and put on "Call Me A Dog", and ditch "Spoonman" and put on "Searching With My Good Eye Closed".  You need "Nothing To Say" in there as well, and "Right Turn" from Alice In Chains' SAP, if you're asking me. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #181 on: May 22, 2017, 04:52:41 PM »
I can't listen to Black Hole Sun without hearing this. Bob Rivers was great DJ here way back when and delivered some of the best parody songs I've ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xceRuDpxnPk
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #182 on: May 22, 2017, 05:17:42 PM »

If I can suggest any of his solo material, Seasons is one of my favorite songs he's ever written.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #183 on: May 23, 2017, 08:10:45 AM »

All due respect, ditch "Hunger Strike" and put on "Call Me A Dog", and ditch "Spoonman" and put on "Searching With My Good Eye Closed".  You need "Nothing To Say" in there as well, and "Right Turn" from Alice In Chains' SAP, if you're asking me.

I wouldn't ditch those tunes, but adding your suggestions is a good call! Can't forget about "Right Turn" either!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #184 on: May 23, 2017, 07:49:23 PM »
JLB sounded surprisingly good on the Black Hole Sun vid.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #185 on: May 24, 2017, 04:29:31 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: May 24, 2017, 08:39:14 AM »
JLB on FB:
Seems I'm being criticized for messing up the words to BHS.
Jordan and I decided to do this shortly before the show.
I have always prided my ability to memorize lyrics very quickly but while singing this song in memory of one of the greatest singers and musicians of our time I became emotional, which led to the words escaping me.
Of those of you who are quick to criticize others unfortunate circumstances I admire your infallible, unattainable, prowess and fortitude that eludes most who are human.
Bravo.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: May 24, 2017, 08:56:22 AM »
JLB on FB:
Seems I'm being criticized for messing up the words to BHS.
Jordan and I decided to do this shortly before the show.
I have always prided my ability to memorize lyrics very quickly but while singing this song in memory of one of the greatest singers and musicians of our time I became emotional, which led to the words escaping me.
Of those of you who are quick to criticize others unfortunate circumstances I admire your infallible, unattainable, prowess and fortitude that eludes most who are human.
Bravo.

A perfect response  :tup

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #188 on: May 24, 2017, 09:28:06 AM »
Not a fan of passive aggressive responses myself.

But we all screw up. Just a very unfortunate moment for him to mess up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: May 24, 2017, 09:30:38 AM »
Yea, I kind of read it as passive aggressive.  The statement would have been much better without the last line.  The rest makes sense.  Kind of feel bad for him because he gets so much flack from his own fanbase and now he's getting it from a much larger audience.

Offline Adami

« Reply #190 on: May 24, 2017, 09:32:48 AM »
Yea, I kind of read it as passive aggressive.  The statement would have been much better without the last line.  The rest makes sense.  Kind of feel bad for him because he gets so much flack from his own fanbase and now he's getting it from a much larger audience.

Yea, everything till the last line was ace.

I mean, the dude DID mess up. Just own it and move on.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #191 on: May 24, 2017, 10:02:11 AM »
 :lol I love it.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: May 24, 2017, 10:09:55 AM »

I'm not seeing how this was passive aggressive. Seemed pretty open and direct to me.

Offline Adami

« Reply #193 on: May 24, 2017, 10:17:44 AM »

I'm not seeing how this was passive aggressive. Seemed pretty open and direct to me.

The last sentence before bravo is passive aggressive. I'm not even sure whether or not it is ,is up for debate.

If you're cool with it, cool. But it is what it is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mosh

« Reply #194 on: May 24, 2017, 10:19:51 AM »
I'm sure Portnoy is at least relieved that someone else is getting piled on for once.  :lol
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Online Mladen

« Reply #195 on: May 24, 2017, 11:23:56 AM »
I don't see it as passive aggressive. It's just plain aggressive. Ironic, yet direct. But he's absolutely in the right to put it like that.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #196 on: May 24, 2017, 11:25:35 AM »
:lol I love it.

Me too. No problem with what he said.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #197 on: May 24, 2017, 11:28:17 AM »
I'm sure Portnoy is at least relieved that someone else is getting piled on for once.  :lol
:lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #198 on: May 24, 2017, 11:57:58 AM »

Look guys, I've put the words to the song out there.  It's up to them to remember the words.  Tell them, not me!

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #199 on: May 24, 2017, 11:59:28 AM »
Appreciated all the great suggestions for my 'best ofs'.  I'll just have to make a third disc.  How I missed 'New Damage' with Brian May all these years, considering I thought I had heard all his work with various artists, was a surprise.  Thanks!  Oh, and I love 'Spoonman' for the change of pace, but 'Call Me A Dog' is a gem.

I can't listen to Black Hole Sun without hearing this. Bob Rivers was great DJ here way back when and delivered some of the best parody songs I've ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xceRuDpxnPk

I needed a laugh!  Got a few more with his 'Dirty Deeds Done With Sheep' satire as well.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline CB

« Reply #200 on: May 24, 2017, 12:31:46 PM »
I don't see it as passive aggressive. It's just plain aggressive. Ironic, yet direct. But he's absolutely in the right to put it like that.

Agreed. He made a mistake that's human and forgivable, especially under the given circumstances, and the usual haters are bashing him with unfair and insulting comments.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: May 24, 2017, 12:44:03 PM »

Agreed. He made a mistake that's human and forgivable, especially under the given circumstances, and the usual haters are bashing him with unfair and insulting comments.

That's all true, I just feel when you are a public figure you shouldn't go down to the level of the haters.  He didn't totally do it, and I agree with his feelings completely, but he should just leave his own negativity out of it and be the bigger man since he is the one who is in the public eye, not the haters. 

Offline CB

« Reply #202 on: May 24, 2017, 02:04:23 PM »

That's all true, I just feel when you are a public figure you shouldn't go down to the level of the haters.  He didn't totally do it, and I agree with his feelings completely, but he should just leave his own negativity out of it and be the bigger man since he is the one who is in the public eye, not the haters.

I can see your point, but does being a public figure mean you have to swallow everything? I don't know any other artist who gets as much unfair bashing online as JLB does, and though he has a thick skin he's human and I think sometimes it's just too much for him to bear.

He didn't attack anyone directly and didn't go down to the level of the haters, that would have been very unwise. But I think it's not a bad thing to remind some people of the fact that they are human and make mistakes as well. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: May 24, 2017, 02:19:19 PM »
It's really no big deal to me even if I am saying I don't like it, he made his point and I agree with it.  I just think it could have been done without the last line so that he looks like he's above the pettiness.  He doesn't need to swallow everything, I think him discussing this in person and venting to his wife or whatever is perfectly fine.  I just think doing so on social media isn't the best way to handle it.  That opinion of mine goes for everyone who is in the public eye.  Keep your chin up.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #204 on: May 24, 2017, 03:16:56 PM »
Awesome. Let's bust the guy's balls in the first place, and when he responds or has the nerve to actually be frustrated with it, we can bust his balls again.
Awesome.

WTF people??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #205 on: May 24, 2017, 03:54:42 PM »
Awesome. Let's bust the guy's balls in the first place, and when he responds or has the nerve to actually be frustrated with it, we can bust his balls again.
Awesome.

WTF people??

My thoughts exactly.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #206 on: May 24, 2017, 04:56:37 PM »
Everything is never enough.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #207 on: May 24, 2017, 06:29:39 PM »
Awesome.

WTF people??

The internet really does suck sometimes, doesn't it?

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #208 on: May 24, 2017, 08:06:33 PM »
It's just too easy to be overly critical and judgmental when you can hide behind a computer  :lol

Offline Mosh

« Reply #209 on: May 24, 2017, 11:03:22 PM »
Awesome.

WTF people??

The internet really does suck sometimes, doesn't it?
Too bad this forum doesn't have a 'like' button. :p

Glad James is defending himself. "Don't feed the trolls" is pretty good advice but sometimes people need to stick up for themselves. It's not like James is going off constantly on social media, despite being an easy target for internet criticism.