Author Topic: Chris Cornell dead at age 52...  (Read 21460 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: Chris Cornell dead at age 52...
« Reply #140 on: May 21, 2017, 05:33:39 PM »
Wasn't Cornell an option for MP when he considered replacing JLB?

When was that? I don't remember reading that.
I thought I remember reading that in Lifting Shadows, I'll double check later when I'm home. I'm probably wrong though
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #141 on: May 21, 2017, 05:58:13 PM »
Chris Cornell is not listed in Lifting Shadow's Index. Neither is Soundgarden.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #142 on: May 21, 2017, 05:59:21 PM »
If you cannot take the time to learn the lyrics to a 5 minute song to homage someone, better not to do it at all.

I think it is more than likely that the knew the lyrics and simply had a brain cramp on the spot there.  I am sure he has forgotten a lyric or two before to songs he sings all the time.  It happens.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #143 on: May 21, 2017, 06:01:30 PM »
Right. And it doesn't have to be serious. Just an acknowledgement. Better than a tweet by someone who just hopes to be retweeted.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: May 21, 2017, 06:13:55 PM »
I can see both sides, but come on, the guy is human.  I think the idea was a really nice touch even though it didn't go over as expected.  A band like DT doing something is surprising and very nice and thoughtful, I think that's the point to take out of it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #145 on: May 21, 2017, 06:23:53 PM »
I can see both sides, but come on, the guy is human.  I think the idea was a really nice touch even though it didn't go over as expected.  A band like DT doing something is surprising and very nice and thoughtful, I think that's the point to take out of it.

Thank you. That's what I've not been successful in saying.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: May 21, 2017, 06:29:36 PM »
I would consider that less of a tribute, and more of an impromptu moment by James and Jordan, like an idea they tossed around 5 minutes before hitting the stage. No harm, no foul.

Also, I hate to be this guy, but I have never been emotionally affected by the death of someone I've never met, to say nothing of the degree to which some people here have expressed. Cold bastard*? Maybe. I do appreciate everyone here who has been open about how their feelings though. Definitely shows the power art can have with people.

*I still cry at the end of ST2: Wrath of Khan and I've seen it maybe 20 times.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #147 on: May 21, 2017, 06:46:45 PM »

That's not too far from what I'm saying either. The thought is nice, it's just that the execution was somewhat lacking. I feel in the MP days they would have done a better job.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #148 on: May 21, 2017, 07:05:56 PM »

That's not too far from what I'm saying either. The thought is nice, it's just that the execution was somewhat lacking. I feel in the MP days they would have done a better job.

That's not what you said.

You said:
I personally don't think it's particularly good, but everybody will draw their own conclusions.

and:
I **personally** feel it neither captures the spirit of the song, nor is it good that James didn't bother learning the 5 lines necessary. It's not the end of the world, it's simply not a good tribute.

But if you want to change it to this:
The thought is nice, it's just that the execution was somewhat lacking. 

Then I can totally respect that.

I feel in the MP days they would have done a better job.
I totally agree. :)

Offline Cable

« Reply #149 on: May 21, 2017, 07:12:14 PM »
When I have Insomnia really bad - I sometimes got 10mg Diazepams.

I was always told not to take them for more than 3 days in a row.

Validation for you here Kotowboy.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/doctors_discuss_prescription_drug_chris_cornell_was_on_he_never_shouldve_been_exposed_to_it.html

This supports what a psychiatric nurse practitioner told me Xanax (a benzodiazepine), and the like is ok briefly. Which is what you said Kotowboy. But overall, the risks are not worth the benefits. And considering anxiety for many is a chronic thing, this class of drugs for long running anxiety and panic disorder is not advised.

And in the case of Cornell, too risky overall to have any benzodiazepines. I have a personal tangent here. I was treated professionally for my most significant period of mental illness (depression then) when I was about 16. I also, like many others of that age, had significant facial acne. Luckily I had good insurance from my folks, so getting treated for anything was pretty easy and comprehensive. So there was a lot of trial and error with acne medication. Well, once the dermatologist went down the gamut of all the cream and liquid options, we ended on Accutane. I was already well aware of it, and was prepared immediately for when we got to that one; ABSOLUATELY NOT. A side effect was possible increased depression, and working through that, I was not willing to try any risk like that.

Unfortunately, it looks like Chris didn't know the warnings, didn't care, and/or this increased his levels in conjunction with other things possibly.  :-\  :(  The sad thing here is that this a huge unseen risk of medications. Yet as I noted in the P/R forum in the past, the push push push is medications. Well, crap like this exacerbates things sometimes, in hidden ways. Maybe he had a stressful show, and had a shot afterwards. He maybe was still meh, and hit the medications, with who knows what else. And it could have been a perfect storm of interactions, and brought his remitted depression right to the front.
---

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #150 on: May 21, 2017, 07:17:45 PM »

No offense, rumbo, but you don't like anything the band does nowadays. Why should this be any different?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #151 on: May 21, 2017, 08:26:24 PM »
I have the Temple of the Dog boxset - wth the 5.1 mix - that i haven't listened to yet; with this news, I'm waiting for a good time, when there's no one here, to listen to the whole thing in one fell swoop at an insane volume. 

Offline Cable

« Reply #152 on: May 21, 2017, 09:33:56 PM »
Unfortunately I'm going to binge on Soundgarden and Cornell as a result of this.

I only have Badmotorfinger, and speaking on the other pieces I've heard; Cornell wrote some dark stuff? Not that any of the Seattle bands are light and bright, especially because three out of four have tragic deaths. But I feel AiC *always* receives the attention as super super dark, when what I'm hearing from Cornell is about as dark. Just more in covert way?
---

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #153 on: May 21, 2017, 10:16:44 PM »
My fav tribute so far is Living Colour (Vernon Reid is a huge Soundgarden fan)... The song only really tests them in spots and Corey Glover sounds so good still (he gets emotional towards the end).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV3TQWt-Y7A
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 10:25:30 PM by WebRaider »

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #154 on: May 21, 2017, 11:35:56 PM »
I was about to post that Living Colour video. Definitely my favorite tribute so far as well, I'm glad they went with something besides Black Hole Sun, and that the crowd was really into it as well.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #155 on: May 21, 2017, 11:49:50 PM »
Really nice talk from Todd LaTorre and tribute cover of Say Hello To Heaven by Queensryche:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir4JB74CGZE
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #156 on: May 22, 2017, 01:00:34 AM »
I was also rather disappointed that James forgot the words. He actually has a tendency to forget the lyrics to cover songs for some reason, that's why he often reads them off a paper while performing. But let me tell you something - the moment he sang the very first line, I got chills. So beautifully sang, that's why it's even more a shame that he forgot the words.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #157 on: May 22, 2017, 01:14:05 AM »
Really nice talk from Todd LaTorre and tribute cover of Say Hello To Heaven by Queensryche:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir4JB74CGZE

I've seen some of the tributes, but not all of them. I'd have to say that this is the best performance in the tributes that I've heard so far. That being said, God bless all of the bands that have added a tribute to Chris to their sets this week.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #158 on: May 22, 2017, 02:35:57 AM »

I've seen some of the tributes, but not all of them. I'd have to say that this is the best performance in the tributes that I've heard so far. That being said, God bless all of the bands that have added a tribute to Chris to their sets this week.

Yes! Absolutely! And most know going in they are going to have a difficult time doing it justice vocally but I believe the majority truly are wanting to honor Chris. He really was a great musician/songwriter and other-worldly talented vocalist.

This one is very good as well!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 02:49:01 AM by WebRaider »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: May 22, 2017, 05:07:21 AM »
Seen so many tributes to Cornell by all kinds of bands and artists and some more surprising than others.
Train did an awsome Black Hole Sun:

https://youtu.be/Msfag1w6uYA

I'd love to see that cover when I see them in a few weeks. Their Zepplin covers are amazing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #160 on: May 22, 2017, 05:20:31 AM »
I agree with rumbo. Yeah, it's a nice thought but when you forget the lyrics (it's not the whole song, it's the verse and chorus, which aren't hard) and replace it with "forgot the fucking words" and "shit" at the end, you're better off not doing a tribute. It just seemed in bad taste.

But then again, I'm sure Chris Cornell would laugh if he was in the room.
Yea I agree! Sloppy handled by James not that he forgot the lyrics but more the reaction he had but we're all human in the end.

Of course the site of sites had to make that as a headline  ::)

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dream-theater-singer-forgets-lyrics-to-black-hole-sun-while-paying-tribute-to-chris-cornell-at-bucharest-concert/

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #161 on: May 22, 2017, 05:35:12 AM »
The Stone Sour Outshined cover is fabulous!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #162 on: May 22, 2017, 07:02:01 AM »
Unfortunately I'm going to binge on Soundgarden and Cornell as a result of this.

I only have Badmotorfinger, and speaking on the other pieces I've heard; Cornell wrote some dark stuff? Not that any of the Seattle bands are light and bright, especially because three out of four have tragic deaths. But I feel AiC *always* receives the attention as super super dark, when what I'm hearing from Cornell is about as dark. Just more in covert way?

Wasn't that really the magic of Chris Cornell, both in his music and his life?    He was a beautiful man - I mean physically, that was a good lookin' guy; tall, tan, rock star hair, those eyes - and yet his end showed he was harboring much deeper, less beautiful thoughts.   So his music.   I saw the replay on Saturday of Soundgarden's performance of "Burden In My Hand" on SNL from '96.   It's not exactly "beautiful", the song, but it starts very poppy and upbeat, and yet the lyrics... "I shot my love today..."   I think that's why I liked Soundgarden more than AiC; life is more, let's say "complicated" than the singular outlook of AiC lyrics suggest.   I think Soundgarden - and the Mother Love Bone - captured this in a way that Pearl Jam (too politically haranguing and preachy), AiC (too doom and gloom) and Nirvana (too hipster and tres cool) ever did. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #163 on: May 22, 2017, 07:56:00 AM »
Just showed up in my Google feed, DT did a Soundgarden tribute at the Bucharest show:

https://youtu.be/Xy1ezqxuT9I

I personally don't think it's particularly good, but everybody will draw their own conclusions.

Personally, I think it was tastefully done.

But I have to say (and not pointing fingers at you or anyone in particular Rumbo), I think any pointed criticism of these tributes misses the point. Sure, some bands did much better jobs than others (there are two in particular I can recall that were a little cringe worthy). But the fact they took the time to acknowledge Chris Cornell's brilliance speaks volumes.

So a big thank you to Dream Theater, Stone Sour, and all others for what they've done. It means a lot to fans, and in time, I am sure his family will feel similar.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #164 on: May 22, 2017, 08:16:35 AM »
Anyone know if the Temple of the Dog concerts were filmed and planned for a DVD/Blu-ray release?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #165 on: May 22, 2017, 08:24:09 AM »
Seen so many tributes to Cornell by all kinds of bands and artists and some more surprising than others.

DAMN.  That was *really* good.  On a side note, I'm increasingly convinced that there's very little that Train couldn't pull off if they wanted to.  Christ these guys are good.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #166 on: May 22, 2017, 08:46:23 AM »
Anyone know if the Temple of the Dog concerts were filmed and planned for a DVD/Blu-ray release?

I don't have a link, but I do remember them saying that a bunch were filmed.

Regarding Soundgarden, Kim is pretty big into archiving SG stuff, so I imagine there is plenty of stuff they've recorded over the last few years.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: May 22, 2017, 10:48:15 AM »
Just showed up in my Google feed, DT did a Soundgarden tribute at the Bucharest show:

https://youtu.be/Xy1ezqxuT9I

Personally, I think it was tastefully done.

Going back in time (Queen the day after John Lennon died)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71UCu-6Z5bw

A video of 'Black Hole Sun' at intermission would have been the easy way.  For the critics, FFS, maybe James was overcome at the moment.  He was of that era.

Cornell's passing hit me hard, and I was not a fan for the most part (I was in my mid 30s+ at their heights, and their 'message' was generally downbeat), but the talent could not be ignored, and his passing hits home in too many ways. 

A handful could carry off doing 'Gethsemene' from JC Superstar that would have equaled or exceeded Ted Neely's film and stage performances, or Ian Gillian's studio performance,.......and Chris Cornell was one of those who I would have loved to have heard, and seen, do it.

John Lennon.  Freddie Mercury.   The way we lost those two was devastating beyond words to me.  Chris' passing is in the same 'what a frickin' shame' category.

But I have to say (and not pointing fingers at you or anyone in particular Rumbo), I think any pointed criticism of these tributes misses the point. Sure, some bands did much better jobs than others (there are two in particular I can recall that were a little cringe worthy). But the fact they took the time to acknowledge Chris Cornell's brilliance speaks volumes.

So a big thank you to Dream Theater, Stone Sour, and all others for what they've done. It means a lot to fans, and in time, I am sure his family will feel similar.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #168 on: May 22, 2017, 11:40:04 AM »
There were signs all around MSG notifying concert-goers that the show was being recorded.  Couldn't figure out if that meant audio or video or both.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: May 22, 2017, 12:43:01 PM »
Am I missing anything in these two discs?

Flower / Smokestack Lightning / Hands All Over / Gun / Get On The Snake / Loud Love / / Uncovered / Big Dumb Sex /Rusty Cage
Outshined / Jesus Christ Pose  / Room A Thousand Years Wide / My Wave / Fell On Black Days / Superunknown / Black Hole Sun /
Spoonman / The Day I Tried To Live

Hunger Strike / Say Hello 2 Heaven / Pretty Noose / Rhinosaur / Dusty / Ty Cobb / Never The Machine Forever / Tighter & Tighter /
Bleed Together / Blow Up The Outside World / Burden In My Hand  / Black Rain / Slaves And Bulldozers  / Gasoline

I thank those who have mentioned a track or three that meant a ton to them, that brought attention to the fact that I did not know them, as well as songs that I had totally forgotten about.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 12:52:55 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #170 on: May 22, 2017, 12:55:47 PM »

DAMN.  That was *really* good.  On a side note, I'm increasingly convinced that there's very little that Train couldn't pull off if they wanted to.  Christ these guys are good.
Yea they're a great live band. Pat is a pretty versatile singer, more than one might think.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #171 on: May 22, 2017, 12:59:02 PM »

Flower / Smokestack Lightning / Hands All Over / Gun / Get On The Snake / Loud Love / / Uncovered / Big Dumb Sex /Rusty Cage
Outshined / Jesus Christ Pose  / Room A Thousand Years Wide / My Wave / Fell On Black Days / Superunknown / Black Hole Sun /

Hunger Strike / Say Hello 2 Heaven / Pretty Noose / Rhinosaur / Dusty / Ty Cobb / Never The Machine Forever / Tighter & Tighter /
Bleed Together / Blow Up The Outside World / Burden In My Hand  / Black Rain / Slaves And Bulldozers  / Gasoline

I thank those who have mentioned a track or three that meant a ton to them, that brought attention to the fact that I did not know them, as well as songs that I had totally forgotten about.

Some great songs there, I'd suggest checking out Like Suicide, it's long been my favorite Soundgarden song. Mind Riot and Head Down are way up there for me too.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #172 on: May 22, 2017, 01:12:15 PM »

Yeah, I have to agree.  Whether it is the criticism of James forgetting the lyrics or criticisms of bands (DT or others) just not being very "good" at covering the material, I agree that it misses the point.  Bands doing these tributes is the equivalent of someone standing up at the funeral to say something about the deceased to, in their own way, pay their respects to the deceased.  To criticize someone who stands up at a funeral because they just weren't eloquent enough to give a "quality" speech, or because they got tongue-tied and stumbled over their words, or because they forgot what they wanted to say and lost their train of thought, or whatever misses the point of what they were doing.  Where someone thinks enough of the deceased that they want to pay their respects, intention is everything and execution means very little.  These tributes, to me, are the same thing.  Any critique or criticism for whatever reason just seems, well, inappropriate and misplaced to me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #173 on: May 22, 2017, 01:41:37 PM »
I feel I should apologize. I think my comments came across as much more belligerent than I meant them.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: May 22, 2017, 01:45:22 PM »

Some great songs there, I'd suggest checking out Like Suicide, it's long been my favorite Soundgarden song. Mind Riot and Head Down are way up there for me too.

'Like Suicide' is on a disc, but...well....I did not want to list it, if you know what I mean.....