Author Topic: Chris Cornell dead at age 52...  (Read 21412 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Chris Cornell dead at age 52...
« Reply #105 on: May 19, 2017, 03:50:58 PM »
    Being on the East Coast - and thus not being there at the "creation" - I always felt that Nirvana was "Grunge for the masses" - the over the counter, pink sweet tasting antibiotic you get when you're a kid - and Soundgarden (and The Mother Love Bone) was the potent, mainline, need-an-IV-drip, and it burns when it goes in antibiotic they give you in the hospital when you don't have time for niceties.

Other than Back Hole Sun, I couldn't name a single Soundgarden song, but I agree with what you say. From here, Soundgarden just looked like a band that you had to respect. They were a working band doing it the hard, but right way.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2017, 03:53:41 PM »
Black Hole Sun was never really one of my favourites to be honest.  It's a shame that's what they were noted for when they had so many better and heavier songs.

Jesus Christ Pose yesterday in the car was just heavy as fuck, what a song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #107 on: May 19, 2017, 03:56:40 PM »
Black Hole Sun was never really one of my favourites to be honest.  It's a shame that's what they were noted for when they had so many better and heavier songs.

Well, even I knew that it wasn't in the style that defined them. I did see them twice on Dec 5 & 6, 1991 opening for GnR. They worked it pretty good.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: May 19, 2017, 04:10:48 PM »

Well, even I knew that it wasn't in the style that defined them. I did see them twice on Dec 5 & 6, 1991 opening for GnR. They worked it pretty good.

Didn't mean you guys, just the general masses really. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #109 on: May 19, 2017, 04:13:59 PM »
When it comes to Soundgarden, I am general masses.

But it's not unlike other bands that have big hits, like KISS with Beth.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2017, 04:18:17 PM »
When it comes to Soundgarden, I am general masses.

But it's not unlike other bands that have big hits, like KISS with Beth.

Don't sell yourself short Tim.  ;D

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2017, 07:10:09 PM »
I'm still in shock over this... I've been a big fan of Cornell since I was a kid back in the 90's. Superunknown will always be one of my favorite albums of all time.  :sadpanda:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2017, 08:43:06 PM »
Anyone who has never heard their cover of Smokestack Lightning from Ultramega OK, please remedy that soon. The ending from Chris is unbelievable
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2017, 08:53:55 PM »
As expected, there's an absolute FLOOD of Soundgarden/Cornell shows on Dime.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2017, 09:23:54 PM »
Seems the dude was taking benzodiazapines, as a ton of us do. I was unaware but there are a variety of circumstances where benzos have been known to cause suicidal ideation. Overdose, withdrawal and combining with alcohol all qualify. His wife's statement is that they're mystified as to why he might have killed himself, but noted that when she spoke with him he was fucked up on Ativan. It would be a pretty tragic thing if a side effect of his meds caused him to do this.

And I want to point out that I'm not suggesting that drugs killed him. Quite the contrary. A whole lot of people take professionally prescribed anti-anxiety meds. As a rule they're very well tolerated and generally safe.

And an added observation, if he really wanted to kill himself, an overdose of benzos is about the best way to do it. If I'm not mistaken some states are executing people via a massive dose of midazolam. If he had a bottle full of lorazapam there's no reason whatsoever the he would have hanged himself.
I hate that we have to go through another one of these situations where we desperately wait for the toxicology report. But the statements today from his wife Vicky really put a new spin on this. I'm just so deeply saddened by this whole thing. This is by far the worst "celebrity death" that I've dealt with. I had trouble with David Bowie, but I was an absolute mess yesterday, and I choked up again today when I read her statement.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #115 on: May 20, 2017, 12:17:26 AM »
This definitely sucks big time and it's even worse to hear of the situation surrounding his death.

I grew up listening to Soundgarden and while they were by far my favorite band, Audioslave's self titled got me through a lot of my formative years and I can remember listening to Hypnotize for hours on end on repeat. I loved singing along to that shit, especially since my voice just dropped around the time I got into them and I could hit those notes.  :lol Funny, great, pure memories. Didn't listen to him much in the recent decade but they were a big part of getting me into the alt/rock scene and formed a good bit of my musical journey.

Listening to the S/T now. Sad. Rest easy you groovy, groovy son of a bitch. :sad: :-\

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #116 on: May 20, 2017, 12:45:31 PM »
    Being on the East Coast - and thus not being there at the "creation" - I always felt that Nirvana was "Grunge for the masses" - the over the counter, pink sweet tasting antibiotic you get when you're a kid - and Soundgarden (and The Mother Love Bone) was the potent, mainline, need-an-IV-drip, and it burns when it goes in antibiotic they give you in the hospital when you don't have time for niceties.

Other than Back Hole Sun, I couldn't name a single Soundgarden song, but I agree with what you say. From here, Soundgarden just looked like a band that you had to respect. They were a working band doing it the hard, but right way.

Tim,

Honestly, do yourself a favor and pick up the Badmotorfinger album. Or if you want to listen to some songs first:

Jesus Christ Pose
Outshined
Room a Thousand Years Wide

If you like those, you'll love the album.

Back in 2001, I interviewed Kelly Gray (then of Queensryche, but he gained fame producing Candlebox's first record). We were sitting in the Frontier Room in Seattle, and were talking the whole "grunge" phenomenon. He said that Nirvana was "the pop version of grunge, if anything." He and his buddy Scotty Heard (ex-Slave to the System) mentioned Green River, and a bunch of other acts.

Soundgarden, at least to my ears, was the perfect hybrid between grunge and traditional hard rock and metal. Badmotorfinger was their most "metal" record, and not surprisingly, my favorite (I just picked up the Super Deluxe Box Set this morning). Alice in Chains, to me, was not a grunge band. They were a hard rock and metal band who just happened to latch on to the grunge era and appeal to audiences. But they weren't really "grunge."

Anyway, Cornell was just such an amazing talent. I mean, as a singer, very few guys could wail with the best of the old school tenor guys, and then switch gears completely and become a soul singer, and then, oh by the way, screw it, lets be a great pop singer. Cornell could do it all. And as a writer, he was just so...unique. Really diverse. I was (and am) a big fan. His solo albums wouldn't be your thing, Tim, but man, the guy was just so deep.

Just a tragic loss...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #117 on: May 20, 2017, 12:55:40 PM »

Soundgarden...Spoonman? Fell on Black Days? Blow Up The Outside World? Outshined?

Audio Slave was amazing as well.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #118 on: May 20, 2017, 01:23:44 PM »
I didn't mind the Audioslave debut but I thought the following two albums were really bland.

Cochise is a great song though.

Offline j

« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2017, 03:20:23 PM »
RIP, although I can never be totally surprised by stories like this, this one came close.  One of the best voices ever in rock music.  Made some really great stuff with both his main bands and solo.  Feel sorry for his family.

And an added observation, if he really wanted to kill himself, an overdose of benzos is about the best way to do it. If I'm not mistaken some states are executing people via a massive dose of midazolam. If he had a bottle full of lorazapam there's no reason whatsoever the he would have hanged himself.

Mostly agree with the first part of this post which I didn't quote, I think you're probably spot on.  But to actually OD on lorazepam is much less likely; it takes a LOT to cause respiratory depression (a debatable topic on its own) and the LD50 is some enormous dose that it's highly doubtful any individual would be in possession of.

-J

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2017, 03:23:07 PM »
When I have Insomnia really bad - I sometimes got 10mg Diazepams.

I was always told not to take them for more than 3 days in a row.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2017, 09:23:21 PM »
https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/2017/05/18/chris-cornell-final-performance-detroit-soundgarden/330051001/

I'm sure most have seen segments of the available youtube clips of the Detroit performance.  They are hard to watch for various reasons (especially 'Slaves And Bulldozers/In My Time Of Dying')
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: May 21, 2017, 06:05:21 AM »
I really can't bring myself to watch any of the final concert yet.

Just reading about how he infact killed himself is just awful.  This whole thing is just tragic.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #123 on: May 21, 2017, 07:46:13 AM »
Last night I just listened to everything that came up from him on YouTube.  Could NOT hold myself together.  One of my favorite songs was "Say Hello to Heaven" but I wasn't even going to attempt to listen to it.  In fact, I don't know if I will be able to ever again.

"Say Hello 2 Heaven" broke me. I could not hold it together while I listened to that. It was almost the same with "Hunger Strike". Just a hell of a fucking sad loss.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2017, 12:07:45 PM »

Mostly agree with the first part of this post which I didn't quote, I think you're probably spot on.  But to actually OD on lorazepam is much less likely; it takes a LOT to cause respiratory depression (a debatable topic on its own) and the LD50 is some enormous dose that it's highly doubtful any individual would be in possession of.

-J
I stand corrected. I really thought benzos were considered a good L pill, but those are some high LD50s. Also mistaken about its use in executions. They're using pentobarbital in the 1 drug protocols, and midazolam is only used as the anesthetic for 3 drug executions.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #125 on: May 21, 2017, 02:39:02 PM »
Just showed up in my Google feed, DT did a Soundgarden tribute at the Bucharest show:

https://youtu.be/Xy1ezqxuT9I

I personally don't think it's particularly good, but everybody will draw their own conclusions.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2017, 03:16:39 PM »
Just showed up in my Google feed, DT did a Soundgarden tribute at the Bucharest show:

https://youtu.be/Xy1ezqxuT9I

I personally don't think it's particularly good, but everybody will draw their own conclusions.
I kinda have to agree with the comments on youtube.. how can he forget the lyrics on a tribute, specially when it is just one song..

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2017, 03:18:58 PM »
I am sorry, but those YT comments are silly.  He is getting ripped for forgetting a line from a song he NEVER sings?  It was likely a tribute they decided to do the day of the show.  Some people need to get a grip.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2017, 03:25:05 PM »
There are a variety of people wanting to pay tribute to him that really shouldn't try. Dude had a pretty unique voice and more often than not you're going to sound bad trying. Best effort is that Klinghoffer dude from RHCP. Best tribute I've seen is U2 and Aerosmith who both had the good sense to not try. They both rolled tape of BHS with pictures of him and let the audience sing along to begin their sets.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2017, 03:31:49 PM »
  Best tribute I've seen is U2 and Aerosmith who both had the good sense to not try. They both rolled tape of BHS with pictures of him and let the audience sing along to begin their sets.
Wow, that's cool.

Who cares? Jeez. It's the thought that counts isn't it?

I am sorry, but those YT comments are silly.  He is getting ripped for forgetting a line from a song he NEVER sings?  It was likely a tribute they decided to do the day of the show.  Some people need to get a grip.

Yeah, fuck them!

My question would be...why would DT do a tribute to Cornell? I've never heard them even comment on the guy, or Soundgarden. When John Lord died, it's not like they through together some Deep Purple, which at least they have in their repertoire.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2017, 04:30:58 PM »
Seen so many tributes to Cornell by all kinds of bands and artists and some more surprising than others.
Train did an awsome Black Hole Sun:

https://youtu.be/Msfag1w6uYA

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2017, 04:31:06 PM »

Wtf dude, are you seriously giving me major flak for thinking it's not a particularly good tribute?

I **personally** feel it neither captures the spirit of the song, nor is it good that James didn't bother learning the 5 lines necessary. It's not the end of the world, it's simply not a good tribute.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2017, 04:38:58 PM »

My question would be...why would DT do a tribute to Cornell? I've never heard them even comment on the guy, or Soundgarden. When John Lord died, it's not like they through together some Deep Purple, which at least they have in their repertoire.

They are contemporaries, forming in the mid-1980s and hitting it big in the early 1990s. I think they came from a generation with the same angst, which DT tapped in Awake.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2017, 04:45:51 PM »
I agree with rumbo. Yeah, it's a nice thought but when you forget the lyrics (it's not the whole song, it's the verse and chorus, which aren't hard) and replace it with "forgot the fucking words" and "shit" at the end, you're better off not doing a tribute. It just seemed in bad taste.

But then again, I'm sure Chris Cornell would laugh if he was in the room.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #134 on: May 21, 2017, 04:52:48 PM »

Wtf dude, are you seriously giving me major flak for thinking it's not a particularly good tribute?

I **personally** feel it neither captures the spirit of the song, nor is it good that James didn't bother learning the 5 lines necessary. It's not the end of the world, it's simply not a good tribute.

Chill man, I'm not giving you "major flak". I'm just saying that it's the thought that counts. Everything doesn't need a critique.

I agree with rumbo. Yeah, it's a nice thought but when you forget the lyrics (it's not the whole song, it's the verse and chorus, which aren't hard) and replace it with "forgot the fucking words" and "shit" at the end, you're better off not doing a tribute. It just seemed in bad taste.

OK, I follow that.

I still don't understand why Chris Cornell would move them to do something like this?

I do have some cynical thoughts on this, but it has nothing to do with the performance.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2017, 04:57:16 PM »
Could have been worse. Before his ill-advised attempt at Outshined Dave Mustaine had to tell a guy SHUT THE FUCK UP, ASSHOLE!   :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #136 on: May 21, 2017, 04:58:38 PM »
Wasn't Cornell an option for MP when he considered replacing JLB?

Could have been worse. Before his ill-advised attempt at Outshined Dave Mustaine had to tell a guy SHUT THE FUCK UP, ASSHOLE!   :lol
:lol

I didn't know that happened
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #137 on: May 21, 2017, 05:09:41 PM »
Wasn't Cornell an option for MP when he considered replacing JLB?

When was that? I don't remember reading that.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #138 on: May 21, 2017, 05:10:17 PM »
If you cannot take the time to learn the lyrics to a 5 minute song to homage someone, better not to do it at all.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #139 on: May 21, 2017, 05:29:38 PM »

I still don't understand why Chris Cornell would move them to do something like this?

I do have some cynical thoughts on this, but it has nothing to do with the performance.

As I said earlier, I think it's because Chris is from their generation. As Mike Portnoy said in his tweet:

"Wow...this one is shocking. Chris Cornell was one of the benchmark vocalists of our generation...devastating loss"