Author Topic: Your Life is in the gutter - what do you listen to???  (Read 868 times)

Offline ronnibran

Your Life is in the gutter - what do you listen to???
« on: May 12, 2017, 06:29:21 PM »
Not sure if I ever started a thread here, so here goes....  I got to thinking, whenever my life is completely in the gutter, or I'm uber depressed, etc...  There are go-to things I listen to almost exclusively.  I'm sure there are others who do the same.  I thought I'd make a thread of it.  This will probably make me sound somewhat of a psycho haha  :lol

Genesis - "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway."  I don't even listen to Genesis that much, but when I simply cannot deal with life, I find this album amazing in helping me escape from reality.  True story.  I have no idea what the album is "really" about, but maybe that's why it works.

Guilt Machine - "On this Perfect Day."  Self explanatory, if you're depressed, you can probably relate to every song on this album.  While it doesn't sound like Ayreon, you can clearly tell that Arjen is playing a bunch of guitar solos.  Great album!

Flotsam and Jetsam - "Better off Dead"  Just the song, not the album.  But a friend introduced me to this song and I listen to it when I'm at my lowest points.

Five Finger Death Punch - if I'm depressed and angry I can listen to this and just not think about anything.

Mr. Mister - "Broken Wings" and "Kyrie" - sometimes my depression is eased with soothing 80's songs.  These are in that category.  They never get old.

Peter Gabriel - various songs from "So".  The 80's music lover in me has a go to for escaping by listening to pretty much anything on this album.

I'm sure there's more, but I ran out of time to dink around on the internet...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Your Life is in the gutter - what do you listen to???
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 06:30:14 PM »
savatage - gutter ballet

i have never actually listened to this but i could not resist

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 07:22:44 PM »
I listen to whatever I feel like listening at the moment. It doesn't have to be necessarily something depressing. The same applies if I am in a happy mood.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 08:17:57 PM »
Either Metallica, Dream Theater, or Avenged Sevenfold. Also, when I need to feel like a teenager again, I'll listen to Sum 41.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 10:46:49 PM »
Honestly? Jackson Browne's Late for the Sky is my usual go-to album when I'm depressed or my life is a total mess.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 04:23:31 AM »
If its totally rock bottom, then I go for Radiohead's Kid A. That's number 1

2. The cure (disintegration)

3. Alice in chains (Black gives way to blue, jar of flies, Unplugged in NY, and Dirt)

4. If the gutter part is mixed with Rage and anger, then I go with NIN- Downward spiral and Broken. That let's me blow off the steam and start coming back. Maybe some Tool and deftones as well.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 04:32:45 AM »
Depends on the kind of gutter I find myself in... music can offer songs specific enough for certain kind of stuff.

For a general "what am I gonna do now" situation, Trans Siberian Orchestra's Epiphany is an excellent 10 minutes venting, to concentrate through music on the difficulty of big choices to do, and the desire to be loved and comforted in time of distress.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 06:22:52 AM »
Honestly? Jackson Browne's Late for the Sky is my usual go-to album when I'm depressed or my life is a total mess.

Great songwriter!

I listen to symphonic tribute to dream theater
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 08:11:40 AM »
Bohren & Der Club of Gore - Black Earth
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .