Author Topic: Are Pop Lyrics Getting More Repetitve?  (Read 1278 times)

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Are Pop Lyrics Getting More Repetitve?
« on: May 12, 2017, 08:39:55 AM »
I went from clicking this by accident to reading every word. Quite fascinating.

https://pudding.cool/2017/05/song-repetition/

« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 08:52:47 AM by Chino »

Offline ChuckSteak

Re: Are Pop Lyrics Getting More Repetitve?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 09:30:29 AM »
I don't like this guy, but I agree with the content of this video and I think it sums up what pop music is nowadays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP0wuwJBdMI

Zappa is also on the video :p
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 09:38:30 AM by ChuckSteak »

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 09:45:57 AM »
I don't like this guy, but I agree with the content of this video and I think it sums up what pop music is nowadays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP0wuwJBdMI

Zappa is also on the video :p

I usually hate these kind of youtubers, but that was a pretty good video. Hit a few very good points.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 11:15:38 AM »
I don't need to hear that " I'm in love with the shape of you " song any more.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 03:06:49 PM »
How many songs rhyme swagger with Jagger? There's your answer.

Which is NOT the same as the grotesquely overused fire with desire. The former is way too specific.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2017, 04:31:48 PM »
Saturday, Saturday, Saturday
Saturday, Saturday, Saturday
Saturday, Saturday, Saturday night's alright

(they really aren't, you just perceive it more often because a lot of crap from 30 years ago hasn't survived but you're assaulted with all the bad repetitive stuff of modern times so it just seems like it's worse but really it isn't.)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 09:32:48 AM »
And I say, even if it is, "so what?"    How many of us consciously listen to a song for unique information?  And isn't it all "repetitive" by definition once we are listening to it a second (or third) time anyway?   I know for me, I'm usually looking for some emotional response from the music I listen to, and if it's a long string of unique text (say, a Marillion song) or a bunch of repetitive bits (say, an Iron Maiden song or Kiss song) so what?   Does it connect?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 03:24:08 PM »
And I say, even if it is, "so what?"    How many of us consciously listen to a song for unique information?  And isn't it all "repetitive" by definition once we are listening to it a second (or third) time anyway?   I know for me, I'm usually looking for some emotional response from the music I listen to, and if it's a long string of unique text (say, a Marillion song) or a bunch of repetitive bits (say, an Iron Maiden song or Kiss song) so what?   Does it connect?

Well it means nothing overall since it's just music, but I think this is interesting because it provides a statistical way of making the claim that "pop music is repetitive".  It actually seems like it's true from this analysis.  Doesn't make the music any different, just shows that there's actually a way to provide evidence to the claim.  Kind of shows that repetiveness sells too.  Maybe Iron Maiden have been onto something all these years  :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 03:38:46 PM »
I feel like most people in this thread didn't actually read the article, because the headline is really just a jumping off point for some interesting analysis, not making any sort of judgment call on the songs themselves.

I really liked the article, and the presentation of the data itself was just brilliant. Nice clean website, too. Five stars.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 03:46:44 PM »
I really liked the article, and the presentation of the data itself was just brilliant. Nice clean website, too. Five stars.

Agreed, the website was really nice while scrolling down and showing/manipulating the data.  Really cool.  I honestly had never even thought about this before until I read it, mostly because of Stadler's "so what?" was kind of always how I felt about pop music.  Who cares about how basic/repetitive it is, if people enjoy it, so be it, but it is cool to see an actual analysis about it.