Author Topic: Gene Simmons Solo?  (Read 1825 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Gene Simmons Solo?
« on: May 11, 2017, 02:26:30 PM »
So, Gene Simmons is doing a handful of shows, without makeup and without Kiss, in conjunction with a touring comic convention (or something like that).  He's played I think three show now, and it's a pretty good setlist.  Some old favorites - Deuce, RnRAN, Calling Dr. Love - some obscure Kiss tunes - Charisma, Parasite, Goin' Blind - and some solo songs - Radioactive, See You Tonite.   I found out he's playing the Trocadero in a GA show on June 2.   I figure, STUB HUB! because Gene "God of Thunder" Simmons is certainly going to sell out a club; it'll be pandemonium!    Long story short, I just went on the Troc site today and tickets are still available.   

General hatred of Kiss notwithstanding, his voice is intact, he's never done a solo tour/show before this, it's a small place (1200 seats), and the setlist is high quality (if you're a Kiss fan).   18 songs, and NUGGETZ!

Why is this not sold out?  Am I missing something? 

Offline PowerSlave

Re: Gene Simmons Solo?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 02:30:49 PM »
I don't think that he's endeared himself to too many people outside of his role in KISS. I always thought that Family Jewels didn't exactly put him in a flattering light at times.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 02:35:15 PM »
I don't think solo concerts by members of Kiss are in high demand.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 05:57:33 PM »
This seems about right, and eventually he'll probably sell most of those 1200. At the average KISS concert, what percentage of the 12k in attendance are actual KISS fans, as opposed to people who want to go and see the spectacle and hear RaRaN? How man of them would even know what The World Needs a Hero is if he played it? The big group won't bother with this and the smaller one will. This happens all the time with people doing solo gigs. I saw Bruce (with Geezer Butler opening) play to ~300 or so in a club. Casual fans don't think it's the same and don't recognize the opportunity. It's just the way it works. Personally, I don't think the fact that he's an asshole factors into it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 01:34:53 PM »
I would go. I saw Paul Stanley at Toads Place in New Haven in 89 and it was an awesome show in a tiny room.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 03:30:25 PM »
And now he IS 89 :neverusethis:

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 04:05:09 PM »
This happens all the time with people doing solo gigs. I saw Bruce (with Geezer Butler opening) play to ~300 or so in a club. Casual fans don't think it's the same and don't recognize the opportunity.

Last time Bruce toured solo I missed it because I still hadn't a proper internet access and I simply wasn't informed in time about the concert. I've had a huge luck with concerts over the years and I've seen everyone I want to see, I really have no regrets, but THAT one still stings a bit. A Bruce solo show would be very high on my list of concerts I want to see, probably on the podium. And I won't miss for anything in the world another solo show from James LaBrie, should he ever tour solo again and come back here. And I know I'm in the minority in thinking like this...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 04:56:10 PM »
I saw Paul Stanley at Toads Place in New Haven in 89 
I went to the West Hartford show. Fantastic!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 07:27:47 PM »
So, Gene Simmons is doing a handful of shows, without makeup and without Kiss, in conjunction with a touring comic convention (or something like that).  He's played I think three show now, and it's a pretty good setlist.  Some old favorites - Deuce, RnRAN, Calling Dr. Love - some obscure Kiss tunes - Charisma, Parasite, Goin' Blind - and some solo songs - Radioactive, See You Tonite.   I found out he's playing the Trocadero in a GA show on June 2.   I figure, STUB HUB! because Gene "God of Thunder" Simmons is certainly going to sell out a club; it'll be pandemonium!    Long story short, I just went on the Troc site today and tickets are still available.   

General hatred of Kiss notwithstanding, his voice is intact, he's never done a solo tour/show before this, it's a small place (1200 seats), and the setlist is high quality (if you're a Kiss fan).   18 songs, and NUGGETZ!

Why is this not sold out?  Am I missing something?

Ticket prices?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 07:36:16 PM »
Ticket prices are usually how much it costs to attend the concert.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 07:38:22 PM »
Ticket prices are usually how much it costs to attend the concert.  ;D

I see what you did there -- again.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2017, 09:18:56 AM »
A typo, as the Trocadero is in 'PA'. 

A really gorgeous facility.  Oddly, my wife and I were staying across the street when it hosted a national barbershop competition, so we checked it out.  But I digress.

Tickets are $38-299.  I can see this being somewhat the same as if Brian May and Roger Taylor didn't tour as 'Queen+...'

There are so many other issues with Gene, where I see why this isn't creating much interest.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2017, 09:44:24 AM »
A typo, as the Trocadero is in 'PA'. 

A really gorgeous facility.  Oddly, my wife and I were staying across the street when it hosted a national barbershop competition, so we checked it out.  But I digress.

Tickets are $38-299.  I can see this being somewhat the same as if Brian May and Roger Taylor didn't tour as 'Queen+...'

There are so many other issues with Gene, where I see why this isn't creating much interest.

Typo?   "GA" meant "General Admission".    And for clarity, there are only two levels:  $38 for General Admission, and $299 for the meet and greet.   I lived in Philly for about five years (about four blocks from the Troc for about half of that time) but never saw a show there.  Several at the TLA (including Fish and Chickenfoot), but asshole or no, I'm still a little amazed by this.  Having said that, I forgot about the Paul and Bruce shows, so maybe that's part of it.   I'll reap the benefits, though.  I'll try to get there early and be up close as I can. 

Practice for the Maiden show, which I'm expecting to be a full-on sporting event.  I'm already doing pull-ups with a chain around my ankles (like Ben Affleck in "Superman vs. Batman").  Haha. 

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2017, 02:58:27 PM »
Sorry, I read it as 'Trocadero in a GA (Georgia) show'.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!