Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 185359 times)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: The Chemical Wedding (1998)
« Reply #1365 on: October 13, 2017, 12:35:15 PM »
I think The Chemical Wedding and Accident of Birth are both incredible. I give the edge to Chemical Wedding, not because it's heavier, but there's just something about it. It has this vibe that's there throughout the whole album and just makes it feel like this really cohesive piece of work.

I don't at all think that the music is too heavy for his voice - I think his vocals are perfect for it. But that's down to personal preference.

I do agree that it is the more cohesive work.  It sounds all of a piece, which I like.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1366 on: October 13, 2017, 01:35:01 PM »
Accident Of Birth is a collection of great songs while Chemical Wedding is a complete album.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1367 on: October 13, 2017, 05:44:43 PM »
One thing that sets AOB apart (and this could be a positive or negative depending on who you ask) is it wasn’t as much of a band effort. Adrian was brought in late, some songs were leftovers from other projects, and it was uncertain whether this would be yet another Bruce project that ends after one album. With Chemical Wedding, the entire band is pictured in the booklet, Adrian was involved from the start, and they had a whole tour to settle in and craft their sound.

Everything about TCW is more unified and focused. People talk about how the album feels complete, but even taking just about any song out of context shows a lot of thought and creativity. Some songs on AOB sound more rushed.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1368 on: October 14, 2017, 05:00:19 AM »
I consider Accident perfect the way it is, but I totally see your point, and the reasons behind it. Turning things around, it's almost a miracle that an album that came out of a new band and under a major sign of uncertainty, almost a carrer crisis so to speak, was already that good.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1369 on: October 14, 2017, 08:51:47 AM »
Has Steve or anyone said or hinted that the success of those two Bruce albums were a reason, or part of a reason, to try and get him back in the band?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1370 on: October 14, 2017, 09:36:12 AM »
Has Steve or anyone said or hinted that the success of those two Bruce albums were a reason, or part of a reason, to try and get him back in the band?

I think it was more their lack of success, than the one Bruce was experiencing. Surely it must have not gone unnoticed in the Maiden camp how Chemical Wedding slayed Virtual XI, but even if the reunion had happened with Bruce at his Skunkorks phase, it would have been a success anyway.

It's a parallel however with the Priest reunion - Rob Halford too had a successful metal album, Resurrection, that was considered better than the current Priest offering, Demolition (even though Halford made a more controversial record, Crucible, in 2002 before going back to Priest the year later).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1371 on: October 15, 2017, 03:12:03 PM »
Blaze’s Departure and Reunion

By the end of 1998 it really seemed like Maiden and Bruce were on parallel paths. Bruce was not only making Metal again, but delivering modern classics. Maiden weren’t quite as acclaimed at the time, but Virtual XI had been arguably the most “classic” sounding Maiden album of the 90’s. To some fans it seemed like a reunion was a no brainer. Why continue with Blaze when Maiden could be the ones releasing The Chemical Wedding? Obviously things are never that simple, but it was (and still is) a common sentiment.

The circumstances around Blaze’s departure are still not entirely clear. There’s a lot of rumours and speculation but, in typical Maiden fashion, a detailed account has never really come from the band themselves. It is widely believed that Blaze was dismissed before the reunion was negotiated, which seems likely given his inability to handle Maiden’s rigorous touring schedule. There are also reports that Nicko didn’t like Blaze and convinced Steve to fire him by showing him the soundboard recordings of the previous tour. One thing that seems to be certain: Steve was the last one on board with both Blaze leaving and Bruce returning. As mentioned before, Steve has a lot of pride and bringing Bruce back would’ve been an admission of defeat. Eventually, Steve came around and asked Rod to find out if Bruce would be interested in a reunion. Blaze was let go but with no bad blood between him and Maiden. As mentioned earlier, Maiden’s management assisted Blaze with his early solo career.

From Bruce’s end, a reunion made commercial and artistic sense. Despite having released two great albums that were almost universally acclaimed, he was still performing to smaller audiences than he had with Maiden and the albums were far from big sellers. It was obvious that Bruce could put out the next Number of the Beast (many would say he did) and it still wouldn’t make much of a splash without the clout of the Iron Maiden name behind it. Still, it was a difficult decision. Bruce had a new band with fantastic musical chemistry and full creative control. He also came back with conditions for his return. The first was that when it’s time to make an album, a producer would be involved. To that end, it was also agreed that the goal of a reunion would not be to tour as a nostalgia act the way other reunion tours were often marketed, but to make new music.

The second condition for Bruce’s return was that Adrian would come with him. However, Adrian refused to rejoin if it meant Janick was to be forced out of the band. This led to an interesting prospect: a three guitar lineup. There was actually some uncertainty around this decision, and Steve has stated that Janick would remain in the band if it didn’t work out. Maiden were always a two guitar lineup (save for a brief period in the 70s). There was the possibility that the three guitarists would get in each other’s way or there would be a personality clash. As we all now know, this wasn’t a problem at all.

There was also the question of whether Bruce would be fully invested. As Nicko McBrain once put it, they had been burned by Bruce before. Not only had he left on his own accord, but he phoned in many performances by the end and had taken shots at them in the past. There was every possibility that he would jump ship again given the right opportunity.

Despite these concerns, the band was able to put aside their differences and a reunion was set in motion. As mentioned earlier, it was important for this new lineup to make new music together. This was not to be a nostalgia act. That being said, this reunion had the potential to be huge and passing up the opportunity to at least do a short tour to get people excited about the band again would have been a mistake. So, in the summer of 1999, Maiden hit the road for a short tour. But before we get there, let’s talk about the video game that the tour was in promotion of:

Ed Hunter (1999)

The development phase of Ed Hunter was almost as long as Blaze Bayley’s tenure in the band. The original idea was a game based around Maiden’s music and Eddie called Melt. It was also going to be released for the Sony Playstation, according to a promotional image. The project was announced with the release of Best Of the Beast in the form of a sticker on the CD’s packaging. Eventually, the Melt project was scrapped because, as Blaze put it, the game was “crap.” However, the band were still interested in the concept of releasing a computer game and teamed up with Synthetic Dimensions to begin what would become Ed Hunter. The game’s release was originally going to coincide with Virtual XI, although it faced several delays that ended up pushing the release back to 1999. In retrospect, the most memorable thing about Ed Hunter, other than the tour, was probably how hard the band pushed it in 1998. As mentioned during the album’s entry, Virtual XI was filled with promotional artwork for the new game. The CD booklet was made up of character models, the single artwork came from the game, and even the Eddie used on the tour was modeled after the game. The band also remastered their albums around this time with bonus enhanced CDs that, among other things, included advertisements for Ed Hunter.

Despite the hype, the game itself wasn’t anything particularly special. It’s an “on rails” shooter that takes the player through various Maiden landmarks and album artwork scenes. Like most 3D video games from that time, the game hasn’t aged well at all, although it wasn’t that impressive to begin with. The game didn’t make an impression outside the Maiden fanbase and even the fans didn’t seem too interested. The overabundance in marketing throughout 1998 also probably decreased a lot of interest before the game was even out.

Of course Ed Hunter also doubled as the band’s second compilation album. This time around, the fans were able to vote online for which songs to include on the CD (and by extension which songs would be played on the tour, as the band were only going to play songs from the compilation). This was an idea that was pretty ahead of its time, the internet was still new and bands at Maiden’s level of popularity hadn’t yet figured out how to use it for fan interaction. That being said, there’s always the question of how much say the fans actually had in the album’s final tracklisting. It mostly consisted of the usual setlist staples and didn’t differ all that much from Best Of the Beast. Although many fans also argue that the mass audience really do only want to hear the “hits” over and over again, so the song selection on Ed Hunter helps their point. There were a couple rare tunes though, namely Stranger In a Strange Land.

Today, the only thing that makes this compilation worth seeking out is the bonus track on the US version: Wrathchild ‘99. This version was later released as a b-side but isn’t available anywhere else. While it’s advertised as a new recording with Bruce on vocals, it’s actually just the original Killers recording with re-recorded vocals by Bruce. This is not the first time Maiden have done something like this, ironically the last time was when Bruce first joined the band and they released a “live” recording of Remember Tomorrow with Bruce on vocals. Of course Bruce’s vocals were recorded in the studio over a live recording from when Paul was in the band. In the case of Wrathchild, that song has been played live so many times that yet another recording of it is pretty pointless at this point. The fact that it’s the most interesting thing about this release should tell you how essential Ed Hunter is.

Ed Huntour (1999)

The tour for Ed Hunter actually began shortly before the release of the game, although it didn’t matter because the obvious focus of this tour was the return of Bruce and Adrian. The tour was very brief, lasting just over 2 months and only covering North America and some of Europe (no shows in the band’s home country). It was clearly just a way to introduce fans to the new lineup before the band came back full force with a new album and tour. Some of the venues were the same as on the Virtual XI tour, but the band were already beginning to win back their old audiences and play larger amphitheaters in the States. Unlike previous tours, however, almost all shows sold out or were close to selling out. In New York, the gig at the Hammerstein ballroom sold out in just hours prompting management to add a second night (which also sold out). There was definitely more buzz around the band compared to the last few years.

The staging was about the same size as the Virtual XI tour, since the band were still playing similar sized venues in a lot of markets. Being based around the Ed Hunter game, a lot of the drapes featured the 3D modeled Eddie. The intro tape for the show also consisted of footage from the game with Transylvania being played in the background. The walk on Eddie was the same as on the previous tour but without the soccer paraphernalia. A larger Eddie was also used but with the same Ed Hunter design.

As mentioned earlier, the setlist was selected entirely from the Ed Hunter compilation and supposedly picked by the fans. Just like the compilation, it mostly features the usual suspects but with some nice surprises, namely Stranger In a Strange Land and Powerslave (both songs that hadn’t been played since their original tours). The opener was Aces High, another song that hadn’t been played since 1985, which made sense since it’s probably the best known Maiden opener for being on Live After Death. Songs that were staples in the 80s but hadn’t been played in the 90s, such as Phantom Of the Opera, also made a comeback. The band also gave the Blaze years a fair amount of set time, which was a nice surprise. Most other reunited lineups tend to avoid material that the returning members weren’t part of. Three songs from the Blaze era were played: Man On the Edge, Futureal, and The Clansman. Unfortunately, the former two were played for the last time on this tour. Unsurprisingly, Bruce handled these songs very well, especially The Clansman.

Unfortunately, the tour didn’t exactly go off without a hitch. Just a few dates into the tour, Adrian Smith received news that his father passed away and had to leave the tour to attend the funeral. Since Maiden were used to being a two guitar band, they were able to continue without cancelling any gigs. The result was a brief return of the Dickinson/Gers/Murray/Harris/McBrain lineup of the early 90s. With Adrian temporarily out, Stranger In a Strange Land was dropped from the setlist and was never brought back. Bad luck hit the band again toward the end of the North American leg when Dave Murray broke a finger. This time shows had to be cancelled, marking the third tour in a row where a string of dates in the US were cancelled.

Despite these incidents, the tour was largely a success. The new lineup had a ton of energy and on stage chemistry. The three guitarists were able to coexist without getting in each other’s way. Janick got to continue performing some of Adrian’s old solos and Adrian was able to add new rhythm parts to songs he wasn’t part of. His experimentation with alternate tunings with Roy Z was put to use in songs where he used Drop D to cover the lower end of the guitar frequency range. Dave and Janick covered the mid and high parts of the guitar. The result was a wide guitar sound. There were also parts on the original recordings that featured three guitars and could now be recreated live for the first time. Bruce also settled into his old role immediately and worked the crowd just as fans remembered in the 80s. This time around, however, his singing was more consistent and arguably better than ever. Any doubts about this new lineup were immediately put to rest. Maiden were back and Ed Huntour marked the calm before the storm that was Brave New World. But more on that next week.

This tour is unfortunately pretty light on bootlegs, no soundboards or proshot footage that I’m aware of. The band did record some gigs as they released songs from the tour as b-sides to Brave New World singles, but no full gig has been officially released. It’s especially unfortunate because several songs have not been played since that tour, so it’s the only time this lineup has performed those songs. There is some decent youtube footage though, the best is probably the Gothenburg show (linked below). There’s also footage of the very first show which is pretty low quality, but it includes Stranger In a Strange Land and you can really feel the sense of excitement in the crowd.

Gothenburg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8ghJguBdK0
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Online Mladen

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Reunion/Ed Hunter/Ed Huntour (1999)
« Reply #1372 on: October 15, 2017, 11:50:10 PM »
As far as Blaze's departure goes, I think Bruce was brought back in before Blaze even knew what's going on. I believe he confirmed it in interviews that he was already working on the stuff for his third album with Maiden when he got the news Bruce was back. It makes sense. It wouldn't be smart to let Blaze go before knowing if Bruce was willing to return.

I never got the compilation or the video game. I still see it on sale here and there but I'm not too interesting to purchase it. The tour was fantastic, I'm sure. The set list is great and this is the first time I'm seeing footage of Aces high from the tour. Bruce's performance is loads better than on Live after death.  :metal

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1373 on: October 16, 2017, 02:34:45 AM »
As far as Blaze's departure goes, I think Bruce was brought back in before Blaze even knew what's going on. I believe he confirmed it in interviews that he was already working on the stuff for his third album with Maiden when he got the news Bruce was back. It makes sense. It wouldn't be smart to let Blaze go before knowing if Bruce was willing to return.

On the other hand, I seem to recall from various interviews and bits here and there, that Blaze was first let go, and then Bruce was brought back. Sure, the whole endgame was that, a reunion with Bruce and nothing else, but I believe they decided Blaze wasn't working and Plan B would have been yet another singer, not sticking with Blaze only if Bruce had said no.

Also, check out the extract from Bruce's biography published on Maiden's site - even when he was replacing Paul Di Anno he asked what was going to happen with him, he seems concerned to let someone else lose his job, he wants to come in only when the other person's already gone. And this is totally from memory, I admit, I remember reading an interview with Blaze that he was informed that "the band wanted to try to reunite with Bruce", so when he was let go, Bruce was not already back, at least formally.

What I didn't know, and that I read twice in a short period of time - here and some days ago on another Maiden forum - is that Adrian's presence was "at risk", and that he would have been sacked if things would have not worked out. Steve evidently values loyalty and reliability, and by then Janick was the stable second guitarist, I guess in Steve's eyes Adrian will always be the third.

About the reunion itself - it happened when I still hadn't full time access to the web so I learnt it from a short article in a paper, I remember commenting with my cousin "Buuhuu, they sacked Janick Gers, poor guy", 'cause the short news of Bruce and Adrian returning could have only meant the classic line-up, it was only later that I found out that the band was not a three guitarists, six piece new monster.

Of course I could not miss for the world the reunion show. I won't make a review of it all, but just let me recall the magnificent awesomeness of the beginning. The venue, where DT themselves always play, was packed, filled to the brink; I still think that they oversold it 'cause I never saw it so full on every space of the floor and every seat in the whole building. Megadeth were opening and already with them the air was on fire, but when we were waiting for Maiden to begin, the anticipation was sky high.

Transylvania as an intro already sent everyone crazy, then Churchill's Speech came, the intro to Aces High... and them boom! a red burst of flame kicked off the song, to this day I am still absolutely convinced that I've seen and it was not my imagination that Steve Harris made a big jump to enter the stage, entering first, maybe galvanized by the roar of the crowd. The others follow closely, in the confusion of the beginning I fear I may have missed Bruce coming on stage, but then he arrives last, grabs the mic stand, belts out like a motherfucker the verses to Aces High, and then when the chorus arrive, the whole damn place wins the award for "tearing down the roof" metaphor making a gigantic and bombastic, unison scream:

RUN, LIVE TO FLY
FLY TO LIVE, DO OR DIE
WANT TO RUN, LIVE TO FLY
FLY TO LIVE, ACES HIGH

:metal

It was MASSIVE, to this day I still remember what a huge roar it was. And then after the chorus, Bruce went to the two sides of the stage, he did not say "Scream for me", he didn't wave his hands, he just went there - on the other side, and then on my side - and just stood there, like in a tranquil "'sup guys?" mode, and he was welcomed by yet another huge and bombastic roar. The whole enthusiasm to finally have him back was simply sending everyone crazy by just seeing him.

And the rest of the concert, well, it was basically like that. A more than packed venue sang along with wild joy to every song and every note, it was a triumph, and to  this day, one of the best concerts - both in absolute terms, and by Iron Maiden - that I have attended.

Iron Maiden were back, and they were ready to conquer the world once again :metal

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1374 on: October 16, 2017, 04:11:54 AM »
I remember being in school when I heard about the reunion, during lunch I went straight to the computers in the library and read about it, I even saved the headline from the article and framed it. :blob:

The Ed Hunter tour was my first time seeing Maiden live, such an awesome show and setlist and actually the only time i've seen them indoors which was special.

Btw I didn't realise that the clip was from the venue I saw them at, that's awesome!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:34:37 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1375 on: October 16, 2017, 05:07:47 AM »
The reunion was actually announced on their website, with a counter installed a few days prior hinting that big news was on the way.

I was lucky enough to attend the Paris show on 9/9/99. Met Rod Smallwood under the Eiffel Tower, oddly enough. Wrote a review of the show for the Iron Maiden newsgroup ("what's a newsgroup?") at the time. Will have to dig it out if anyone's interested.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1376 on: October 16, 2017, 05:27:58 AM »
The reunion was actually announced on their website, with a counter installed a few days prior hinting that big news was on the way.

I still remember the headline: "Bruce and Adrian... they're back!!!"

No mention of Blaze Bayley - at his own request.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1377 on: October 16, 2017, 08:39:27 AM »
Wasn't there another stipulation for Bruce's return in the favor of a large sum of money (I recall reading $1 million).  Not sure if any of that is true, but sounds plausible.

Anyway, still before I became a fan, but getting close to my discovery of them and the fact they were playing the Hammerstein Ballroom in NYC makes me so jealous, I really like that venue and would love to see them there.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1378 on: October 16, 2017, 08:44:38 AM »
Wasn't there another stipulation for Bruce's return in the favor of a large sum of money (I recall reading $1 million).  Not sure if any of that is true, but sounds plausible.

Don't know but I'm sure that was part of it.

The problem with Blaze's account is that, while there's no reason to think he's been anything but honest about the whole thing, he himself probably doesn't have the whole story. He didn't seem to know what was going on until they knew they were bringing Bruce back, but my interpretation of the whole thing is that they were going to let him go regardless. It's also worth noting that the tour happened very quickly. I wonder if there was already an Ed Hunter tour being booked before reunion talks, in which case Blaze was going to need to stay on for another year (sort of like A Real Live Tour). But that's all speculation. Either way, I don't see an outcome where Blaze gets to make a third album with Maiden.

As for Janick: Not only does Steve value loyalty, but Janick was also in the band just as long as Adrian. Janick had his detractors, but lets face it, Adrian's presence wasn't going to make or break the reunion. It also took a few years for Adrian to settle back in IMO.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1379 on: October 16, 2017, 09:26:34 AM »
With the reunion Janick was also at the start of his peak as a songwriter in the band.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1380 on: October 16, 2017, 09:35:01 AM »
Yeah, regarding Adrian, I saw the BNW tour, and he still felt a bit out of place then, even with one of his songs being the first single off the new album (Wicker Man).

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1381 on: October 16, 2017, 12:03:05 PM »
Ed Hunter tour was my first time seeing the band. It was actually my second time seeing Bruce and Adrian as I was lucky enough to catch the Accident of Birth tour at the House of Blues.

The Ed Hunter show was at the Aragon in Chicago. It was in July, I believe, in the midst of a brutal heatwave. People were passing out left and right all night. The whole back wall and hallway of the venue was lined with people who had collapsed from heat exhaustion as there was no air conditioning and it remained into the 90's well after dark and the humidity was atrocious. They get to my favorite track, Wasted Years, and as Adrian is playing the intro I notice something strange to my left. I look over and my wife is on the ground. She had collapsed from the heat. Thankfully, the dude on her other side helped me get her back on her feet and I held her up for the remainder of the show.

I remember getting to my car after the show and taking off my shirt. I had to wring it out because it was like a soaked sponge. Just filled with sweat.

Still a great night. I have never been back to the Aragon because I hate it. I've missed a few shows that I would love to see but I just can't stand that place. So many other great venues in this city.

I do have the PC version of the game and the release. I never bust it out. No need to.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1382 on: October 16, 2017, 12:29:59 PM »
Wow, what a horrible experience! Pity that the conditions ruined the wonderful event of seeing Maiden reunited.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1383 on: October 16, 2017, 12:32:34 PM »
Wow that venue sounds like a health hazard

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1384 on: October 16, 2017, 03:40:28 PM »
I still have the 2CD video game release.  The game was pretty shit but a good novelty.  The 2cd tracklist of course is fantastic.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1385 on: October 16, 2017, 03:45:04 PM »
With the reunion Janick was also at the start of his peak as a songwriter in the band.

Yeah, expect a lot of shoutouts to how great Janick's contributions as a songwriter are from here on it. Dude has contributed a large number of the band's greatest songs in the reunion era.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1386 on: October 16, 2017, 04:23:51 PM »
To echo what Professor Peart said, I saw this tour at the Orpheum in Boston on 7/18/99.
Same thing. No AC. Isn't this a Bruce thing??

Anyway, this was literally the hottest I have ever been at a show. I'm not a take my shirt off kind of guy, but I had to. I would run to he bathroom and literally soak my shirt to cool down. My wife actually stood out by the front door talking to this lady ticket taker. It was fucking hot.

Unfortunately, it was one of the shows Adrian missed, but that said, it was one of my all time favorite tours. Seeing them in a theater was beyond awesome. And the setlist was fantastic.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1387 on: October 18, 2017, 12:00:05 PM »
Sadly, I just wasn't into Maiden quite yet. However, that would change, however, with the next entry. I knew absolutely nothing about Ed Hunter, so thanks Mosh. Bring on BRAVE NEW WORLD!  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1388 on: October 18, 2017, 09:43:45 PM »
Ed Hunter tour was my first time seeing the band. It was actually my second time seeing Bruce and Adrian as I was lucky enough to catch the Accident of Birth tour at the House of Blues.

The Ed Hunter show was at the Aragon in Chicago. It was in July, I believe, in the midst of a brutal heatwave. People were passing out left and right all night. The whole back wall and hallway of the venue was lined with people who had collapsed from heat exhaustion as there was no air conditioning and it remained into the 90's well after dark and the humidity was atrocious. They get to my favorite track, Wasted Years, and as Adrian is playing the intro I notice something strange to my left. I look over and my wife is on the ground. She had collapsed from the heat. Thankfully, the dude on her other side helped me get her back on her feet and I held her up for the remainder of the show.

I remember getting to my car after the show and taking off my shirt. I had to wring it out because it was like a soaked sponge. Just filled with sweat.

Still a great night. I have never been back to the Aragon because I hate it. I've missed a few shows that I would love to see but I just can't stand that place. So many other great venues in this city.

Holy fuck was that a hot show.  I remember getting lost from my friends, so I just hung out in one spot.  It was my first time seeing Maiden and I was blown away and madly in love.   :heart   :biggrin:  Seeing them open with Aces High after having listened to Live After Death so many times was incredible, and I loved Bruce's quip that "this next song is not about men in pointy white hats," when they started The Clansman.   :lol

I know a lot of singers prefer to have the air conditioning turned off - the hot, humid air helps the vocal cords (where cool, dry air would make it tougher to sing), but it could be possible that the Aragon just didn't have AC as well. 

I still have my Ed Hunter tour shirt, with the sleeves cut off.  I usually wear it when it's blazing hot outside and I need to wash the car.  The shirt is now 18 years old. 

I obtained a copy of this bootleg from Hamburg and watched it over and over again.  Recently converted it to DVD a few years ago and watched it for the first time in ages then.  Brings back so many memories.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TguoHe72n80

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1389 on: October 20, 2017, 03:23:48 PM »
I was in my basement, and I totally forgot I even had this.

At the show I bought this:

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1390 on: October 20, 2017, 03:29:58 PM »
Nice, mixed in with DT boots  :metal

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1391 on: October 22, 2017, 06:00:22 PM »
Brave New World (2000)

After breaking in the new lineup on the road, it was time for Iron Maiden to get to work on what was sure to be the year’s most anticipated Metal album. It was important for the reunion to not just be a nostalgia trip but a valid continuation of the band with new music. Brave New World needed to be a powerful musical statement that could stand with the band’s classic 80s albums. However, it was also important that the album wouldn’t erase the last 10 years of the band’s musical evolution. For fans who had fallen out of favor with the band during the previous decade, this would be a return to former glories. However, the band had experimented and evolved considerably since then.

To that end, Brave New World was a culmination of that recent experimentation. It was a modern and more progressive Maiden, but with more influence from their early days. Virtual XI had already started the band back on the direction of a more classic Maiden sound and the next album would take it further. In fact, several songs originated from the Virtual XI sessions. The Nomad, The Mercenary, and Dream Of Mirrors were written for Virtual XI but were left off for unknown reasons. Additionally, Dream of Mirrors had lyric contributions from Blaze that were uncredited. Steve Harris had also began writing Blood Brothers during this time but it wasn’t yet finished. As a result, Brave New World sounds very much like a followup to Virtual XI, even more so than a followup to Powerslave or Seventh Son Of a Seventh Son. Still, the “leftovers” even showed considerable development from the material on the previous album.

The formal writing sessions for Brave New World were actually completed before the Ed Huntour. With five songwriters now in the band  and leftovers from the previous album’s sessions, the album came together very quickly. It was also one of the band’s most collaborative efforts. Only song was written by a single member: Blood Brothers by Steve. This was a stark contrast to previous albums where several songs were credited solely to Steve. That is not to say he wasn’t involved in the writing as much, quite the opposite in fact. Steve Harris actually receives a writing credit on every single song for the first time since Killers.

The most prolific writers on the album after Steve were Janick and Bruce who both contributed four songs (two in collaboration with each other). Janick in particular had been contributing more and more since joining the band. Ger’s contributions included Ghost Of the Navigator,  Out of the Silent Planet, Dream of Mirrors, and The Mercenary. As mentioned earlier, the latter two were from the Virtual XI sessions. The Mercenary is definitely a similarly riff driven high energy rocker. Dream Of Mirrors, one of the album’s several epics, is the first of several Gers/Harris tracks to feature prominent acoustic guitar driven sections mixed with the heavier moments. This format has featured on every album since. The lyrics are classic Steve: introverted, dark, with a strong existential bent. The other two songs were written in collaboration with Steve and Bruce. While Bruce and Janick had played on two Maiden albums together before, the Dickinson/Gers/Harris writing combination was a first for this album. The combination was very reminiscent of the classic Smith/Harris/Dickinson combo. In fact, the creation of Ghost Of the Navigator in particular is pretty similar to Can I Play With Madness 12 years earlier. The song began as a collaboration between Bruce and Janick, with the two writing the verses and chorus together before Steve Harris came in and contributed a middle section as well as some of the arrangement. The song gave Bruce a great seafaring vibe so he wrote the lyrics using sailing as a metaphor for life. Finally, Out of the Silent Planet was to be the ultimate combination of old and new Maiden. Bruce conceived the song as Run To the Hills 2.0 and intended it to include Maiden’s old gallop rhythm (something that was mostly absent from recent Maiden). It also had a huge stadium ready chorus with vocal harmonies and a catchy melody. However, always being a fan of long proggy songs, Steve wanted it to start out soft and slowly build to the gallop. Lyrically, the song is based on the film Forbidden Planet and fits in well with the Brave New World theme telling the story of a futuristic battle between human beings and alien invaders (sound familiar?).

Another Bruce contribution was the title track, which was a collaboration with Steve and Dave. The title of the album was actually conceived first by Bruce and the band then he decided to write a song with that title based on the novel of the same name. The writing combination was another first for the band. While Dave had collaborated with both Steve and Bruce separately in the past, this was the first time the three of them wrote a song together. It does seem like a true collaboration too, as it features hallmarks of all three musicians writing styles. The lyrics are filled with Bruce’s vivid imagery, there’s a powerful (if repetitive) singalong chorus from Steve, and the typical soulful guitar driven intro from Dave.

This was an especially big album for Dave Murray, as he had contributed to it more than any Maiden album prior. In the 80s, getting just one song from Dave was a treat. In the 90s, he stepped it up a bit by contributing up to two songs per album (with the exception of X Factor where his sole contribution was cut). On Brave New World, Dave got three writing credits. In addition to Brave New World, he wrote two more songs with Steve. Incidentally, both songs are among the band’s more unique. The album closer, The Thin Line Between Love and Hate features many unconventional moments such as vocal harmonies during the verses. There are soulful guitar solos and melodies throughout from Dave with some heavy riffing tastefully mixed in.  The Nomad is another epic that features Eastern sounding riffs and a mysterious lyric. It has also been the source of controversy as the middle instrumental section was, to put it lightly, “lifted” from Life’s Shadow by Beckett. Attentive Maiden fans will recognize the band name as the original performers of A Rainbow’s Gold, the song Maiden covered for the b-side to Two Minutes To Midnight back in 1984. Lyrics from that particular song were also borrowed for Hallowed Be Thy Name, although in that case it was just a couple lives. In the case of Nomad, an entire section of music was inserted into the song. The whole Beckett issue has become a source of controversy recently when a lawsuit was filed against the band for plagiarism. I won’t get into all that for two reasons: The first is that it’s not really relevant to The Nomad, the focus is more on Hallowed. The second is that it’s an ongoing issue that has yet to be resolved.

Of course the last songwriter on Brave New World was the returning Adrian Smith. Compared to Bruce, it seemed to take him more time to settle back into the group. By the end of his stint with the group, Adrian was a primary songwriter and was also a huge influence in the band’s creative direction. In many ways, Janick had filled this role since then and Steve had also increased his influence after giving Bruce and Adrian more room toward the end of the 80’s. As a result, Adrian takes a bit of a backseat on the album. He doesn’t perform as many guitar solos and only contributed two songs (the only other albums to feature less than two Smith songs are Killers and Powerslave). That being said, his two contributions did not go unnoticed. The Wicker Man is a triumphant album opener the harkens back to the band’s most memorable 80’s rockers and is one of the only post-Fear Of the Dark songs to receive classic status. This song also featured the Smith/Harris/Dickinson combination which had last produced Can I Play With Madness and The Evil That Men Do, so there is a sense of the album being a continuation of where 80’s Maiden left off. A perfect way to kick off the album and another decade of Maiden. Adrian’s second contribution was a collaboration with Steve Harris. This was an interesting partnership as the only song Steve and Adrian wrote together without Bruce was 22 Acacia Avenue (Bruce doesn’t receive credit on The Prisoner but he did contribute to the song). This is another classic sounding track with a heavy Thin Lizzy influence, although it never got the same amount of attention as The Wicker Man.

Upon completing the writing for the album, the band recorded demos and then shifted their focus to the upcoming tour. They intentionally avoided working on the songs during the tour so that they could be fresh again when the band went into the studio. Also being fresh off a successful tour, the band hoped to channel the energy into the album to give it a live feel. This was also the intention of Virtual XI, although Brave New World would be better executed in many ways. One reason for its success is the presence of an outside producer. One of the conditions for Bruce’s return was that Maiden would work with a producer again instead of being produced by Steve. Each member was then asked to give five recommendations for a producer and the group eventually decided on Kevin Shirley. It was also decided that the album would not be recorded in Steve’s barn, the way the previous albums were, but rather a professional studio in France. The addition of Kevin Shirley also brought a new recording method. Since they wanted to capture their live sound, the band would be recorded live in the studio rather than the traditional way of recording track-by-track. The album also used a basic recording setup. Where it previously took the band multiple days just to set up the guitars and drum sounds, everything was set up to the point where recording began on day one. Despite the minimalist approach, Brave New World was still more polished sounding than the recent Maiden albums but with the live energy that was not present in their 80s output.

The live setup really enhanced the band’s performances, as it helped them recreate their natural environments. There was a liveliness to the album’s sound that hadn’t been present in years. Bruce turned in one of his greatest performances with the band, something he largely credits to Kevin Shirley as well as the fact that he was able to develop his singing outside of Maiden. Despite the fact that Maiden tended to record more than 2 guitar parts in a track anyway, the presence of three guitarists was still felt. There were three part harmonies, heavier rhythm parts that filled a larger frequency spectrum, and an overall larger guitar sound. Nicko also turned in a great performance on the album after a slew of phoned in performances during the Blaze years.

For the album artwork, Maiden again took inspiration from their past and enlisted Derek Riggs. Derek had done work for the band throughout the 90s, although this would be his first time since No Prayer For the Dying that his artwork made the cover. However, the cover is only half Derek. The Eddie in the sky design is Riggs, but the futuristic city design was created by Steve Stone. Since Derek usually doesn’t work with computer graphics, this design is really unlike anything else he’s done.

Finally, after months of hype the band released the first single: The Wicker Man. This was the perfect introduction to the album as it was probably the closest thing on the album to classic Maiden, although it still sounded fresh too. It’s also unique in that the radio promo featured additional vocal parts in the chorus, the only time Maiden has recorded  a “single version” of a song. A few weeks later, the album was released. Maiden celebrated the release by doing a radio special on Eddie Trunk. I usually don’t include bootlegs in the album write ups, but this one is pretty cool. It features interviews with Bruce and Steve and in studio performances of The Wicker Man, Wrathchild, and The Trooper. You can tell there’s a lot of excitement both from the band and the fans. The album was unsurprisingly a huge success. It was a top 10 entry in the UK and top 40 in the US (the previous two albums barely made the top 200). It was also a #1 album in Sweden. It also received a great fan response, being praised as a return to form for the band that didn’t rely too heavily on recreating the past. Doubts of the reunion could finally be put to rest. This was modern Maiden, a new lineup with a new, but still familiar, sound. The past few years of artistic and commercial turbulence were finally starting to pay off. The biggest reason for the album’s success is that they didn’t try to create Powerslave 2 but instead continued on their natural musical evolution. 17 years later, Brave New World is widely regarded as a classic album with the band still performing several songs from it to this day. It’s hard to think of a more triumphant musical statement. 

Radio special: https://www.dropbox.com/s/64siyyyhmbtb6um/Iron%20Maiden%20-%202000-06-01%20-%20Brave%20New%20World%20Radio%20Special%2C%20SFX%20Radio%20Network%2C%20Eddie%20Trunk%20%26%20Stash%2C%20London%2C%20England%20-%20Brave%20New%20Rehearsals%20%28official%20tracks%20removed%29%20%2835.02%29.zip?dl=0

The Wicker Man

Out Of the Silent Planet

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Brave New World (2000)
« Reply #1392 on: October 22, 2017, 06:18:02 PM »
A great read, Mosh.

Obviously I got this as soon as it came out. Here's what I personally felt about it. I was really apprehensive. I wish I could foresee what was to truly become of the Reunion Era, but in a way, I was untrustful of the longevity and success of what would come. Bruce had just put out two monster albums, and I felt like this was a personal step back. I thought, if Bruce leaves to go back to his solo career, then BNW is really an outlier. I know he said during the Ed Hunter show that this would not be a one off, but really, how could you know? I think..I know this really stood in the way of my enjoyment of BNW.

I remember really liking The Nomad and loving The Thin Line. I guess the best I could say was that I enjoyed the rest. But I was just way too apprehensive.

I am still not sure how they got the bass drum on Dream Of Mirrors. I know Nicko is famous for his fast right foot, but c'mon. I know repeated choruses are a thing with the Reunion Era, but I hate the whole "I only dream in black and white" part. It is way too repeated. Otherwise DoM should be a monster track, and for some reason I never see it mentioned with the other Reunion Era epics.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1393 on: October 22, 2017, 06:24:14 PM »
Great album. Although, nowadays I only play The Thin Lines Between Love and Hate, and The Wicker Man.

The added verses in The Wicker Man make the chorus that much more better. Oh how I was disappointed when I bought the album and those vocals never appeared. Also, The Wicker Man is one of the few Maiden songs I first liked when I was 10-11. My uncle's band did a fantastic cover of it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Mladen

« Reply #1394 on: October 23, 2017, 01:04:50 AM »
Otherwise DoM should be a monster track, and for some reason I never see it mentioned with the other Reunion Era epics.
I, however, see it WAY too often. Don't get me wrong, it's a great song, but there are several better reunion era epics.

The first several songs have always been my favorites on the album. I go back and forth with the rest of it - some of the moments are great, some are either dragged or underwhelming. As a result, Brave new world is my least favorite album of the reunion era, but it's still pretty great.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #1395 on: October 23, 2017, 01:26:26 AM »
I love Brave New World so much, still one of my favorite metal albums all these years later!

BNW was pretty much my introduction to Maiden. I was visiting my friend, maybe a year after BNW had come out. I don't remember all that well.. But he had a copy of Rock in Rio, which had quite a few songs from BNW in the setlist. We had that cd on repeat the entire afternoon, and i remember thinking that this is the best rock band i have ever listened to! :biggrin:

I was quite young, and had never heard of Maiden before..

So, about a year later i was visiting a record store in my hometown. I bought a Toto album since i had listened to that band all my life. But i also went to the metal section and found all these different Maiden albums. I ended up buying Seventh Son and Somewhere in Time, because i loved the cover arts. But i also bought BNW, since i recognized a lot of the songs from listening to Rock in Rio.

Still to this day, my top three Maiden albums are Seventh Son, Somewhere in Time and BNW!

So that's my little story, but i really think it's one of their best albums. And that's not just nostalgia talking!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1396 on: October 23, 2017, 01:53:06 AM »
Excellent write up, to which I have nothing to add if only my personal tastes about the album.

In indsight it was the best reunion album that they could possibily do. They had to relearn to walk before flying again, so to speak, looking back this feels almost like a "new" debut album for the six pieces line-up: all the trademarks of the following albums are there, but they would eventually go on to even more progressive and unusual lenghts.

All the songs are great, I was very satisfied with the album when I got it. Some repettive choruses here and there but that was to be expected. The Wicker Man, Ghost of the Navigator, Blood Brothers, Dream of  Mirrors and The Nomad are all fantastic tracks. Love also the slow intro to Brave New World and the oddball that is Out of the Silent Planet. Pity they rarely played it live, and never played at all The Nomad, it's a fantastic and unusual song for Maiden (but not for Beckett fans I guess).

I still also have the CD singles, The Wicker Man came with a toaster and Out of the Silent Planet in a digipack with a poster.

Not my favorite of the reunion era all things considered, but I like it a lot and I don't find anything wrong with people loving it even more than me. The only real complaint? that absolute generic Arial font on the back cover, what were they thinking in the graphics department?  ;D

Online Mladen

« Reply #1397 on: October 23, 2017, 02:04:28 AM »
I still also have the CD singles, The Wicker Man came with a toaster and Out of the Silent Planet in a digipack with a poster.

Was this supposed to be a poster or a coaster?  :lol

I agree about the font on the back cover, such a lazy choice to make.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1398 on: October 23, 2017, 02:07:35 AM »
Lyrically, the song is based on the film Forbidden Planet and fits in well with the Brave New World theme telling the story of a futuristic battle between human beings and alien invaders (sound familiar?).

I always assumed it was based on the Sci-Fi book "Out of the Silent Planet" by CS Lewis...

A great album, and a stunning return to form. The Nomad and Thin Line are two of Maiden's most under-rated songs IMO.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1399 on: October 23, 2017, 02:12:35 AM »

Was this supposed to be a poster or a coaster?  :lol

Looool! too much confidence in knowing a word, that in reality I didn't know. I meant a coaster. The round thingie to use beneath a glass.  ;D