Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 183484 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Fear Of the Dark Tour (1992)
« Reply #945 on: August 05, 2017, 09:46:54 AM »
I thought TNOTB in the second spot was a great place for it.

I have never thought of this as a greatest hits tour. Seemed the usual new album based set list. Probably need to get home to get more into it instead of on my phone.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #946 on: August 05, 2017, 10:10:06 AM »
TNOTB is way better earlier in the set than towards the end IMO. They opened with it at my first Maiden gig in 2003, great way to start the show.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #947 on: August 07, 2017, 08:06:55 AM »
I still don't agree with it, but reading this, I now sort of get why the band keeps going back to the same songs from the earlier albums (Wrathschild is an obvious example, as is The Trooper).   

If I was the leader of that band, and given the reaction to the recent albums, I would've made DAMN sure that the touring wasn't compromised one bit.   It was the 90's, so they were probably still making decent bank off the releases, but their legend was made live.   I can't see that legend being as strong based on half-assed versions of 22 Acacia Avenue one year, and a half-assed version of Quest For Fire another year...  if you're going to go down fighting, go down with your best weapons, and for better or worse, that's "Hallowed..." and "Trooper" and so on.   

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #948 on: August 07, 2017, 12:35:58 PM »
I still don't agree with it, but reading this, I now sort of get why the band keeps going back to the same songs from the earlier albums (Wrathschild is an obvious example, as is The Trooper).   

If I was the leader of that band, and given the reaction to the recent albums, I would've made DAMN sure that the touring wasn't compromised one bit.   It was the 90's, so they were probably still making decent bank off the releases, but their legend was made live.   I can't see that legend being as strong based on half-assed versions of 22 Acacia Avenue one year, and a half-assed version of Quest For Fire another year...  if you're going to go down fighting, go down with your best weapons, and for better or worse, that's "Hallowed..." and "Trooper" and so on.

I completely understand your point. But imagine the fan reaction/enthusiasm when they pull the occasional rarely played song out for a tour. I remember people being excited when they heard that Children of the Damned was going to be played on this last tour. Mixing it up a little seems like it would keep things fresh, and add to the excitement if those chose the right songs to do it with.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #949 on: August 07, 2017, 12:43:59 PM »
Fresh for the fans and the band.  I doubt they want to play all the same songs constantly just as much as the fans dont always want to hear the same songs.  It's a balance and sometimes IM's done it well and othertimes not so well.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #950 on: August 07, 2017, 12:51:36 PM »
Honest question:  is that really true?  Look, I get that I am the guy that wants to hear "Total Eclipse" and "All In Your Mind" and it isn't going to happen unless and until I can book Maiden to play my daughter's wedding, and even then, it'll probably cost me extra.   But when I was at the Barclay's center two weeks ago, at least where I was, those people couldn't give a fuck less whether it was "Wrathschild" or "Another Life", "The Trooper" or "Sun And Steel".   With that high level of energy, commitment, it seems to me more and more that it is less about WHAT they play and more about HOW they play it. 

Now, the one caveat is, when Bruce gets tired of singing "FOTD" and starts phoning it in, all bets are off.  But he didn't phone in a single minute in the concert I saw, and with that level of investment, I would have gladly listened to him deliver Neal Diamond's Greatest Hits. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #951 on: August 07, 2017, 01:08:03 PM »
Well I think Alexander the Great is a good example for this.  That's the only "epic" IM haven't played live.  There's a solid fan base for that song.  Yet it doesn't get played live.  I think it's part because the band knows a large amount of the fan base is not going to react to that song. 

They swapped Brighter Than A Thousand Suns for Wratchchild during one tour.  They said it was due to Nicko struggling, but I think we all know the real reason is more likely that the fans didn't react to that song like they do for Wrathchild.  It's a reason why that song got mixed in for this tour as well.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #952 on: August 07, 2017, 01:12:52 PM »
Wrathchild it's their filler song for whenver another song doesn't work. They've done it some times already in recent history. You think you're finally rid of it and it pops up again in the next leg, ugh.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #953 on: August 07, 2017, 01:26:36 PM »
Honest question:  is that really true?  Look, I get that I am the guy that wants to hear "Total Eclipse" and "All In Your Mind" and it isn't going to happen unless and until I can book Maiden to play my daughter's wedding, and even then, it'll probably cost me extra.   But when I was at the Barclay's center two weeks ago, at least where I was, those people couldn't give a fuck less whether it was "Wrathschild" or "Another Life", "The Trooper" or "Sun And Steel".   With that high level of energy, commitment, it seems to me more and more that it is less about WHAT they play and more about HOW they play it. 

Now, the one caveat is, when Bruce gets tired of singing "FOTD" and starts phoning it in, all bets are off.  But he didn't phone in a single minute in the concert I saw, and with that level of investment, I would have gladly listened to him deliver Neal Diamond's Greatest Hits.

No doubt they've been able to maintain a great level of energy in their performances. Bruce alone is worth the price of admission every time I've seen them. But I've seen the air go out of a venue with their song selection on two occasions. One of those occasions was because they were only playing newer songs throughout most of the set. That was the last time that I seen them, and the tour that Dream Theater were opening up for them. It was an unfortunate thing in my opinion, because I think that the reunion material is as good as their classic era, but I doubt that it's as popular with the fanbase overall.

The other time was on the Somewhere Back in Time tour when they played FOTD. It was an overall flawless concert, but the song wasn't from that era, and I think that people were hoping for a "hidden gem" so to speak.

One of the most enthusiastic shows(from an audience standpoint) that I've been to was their early days tour when they were playing songs exclusively from the first 4 albums. From observation, it seems like most of the fanbase is familiar with, and loves a lot of the early material. But the band only pulls out Wrathchild and Iron Maiden on most tours. I think that something like Remember Tomorrow would be really well received, or Killers and Phantom just to name a few.

For me, it adds a little bit of spice to a show if a band pulls out something good, but unexpected. I don't fault them for sticking with their strengths, but they were good enough to play those other rare songs very well in recent years. It's a shame that they ignore that great music most of the time.

Note: Yes, I realize that I'm making a lot of generalizations about the fans, and I certainly don't mean to speak for everyone. It's just a product of my observations for the most part, and some of my own wishes as a long time fan as well.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #954 on: August 07, 2017, 01:37:32 PM »
The other time was on the Somewhere Back in Time tour when they played FOTD. It was an overall flawless concert, but the song wasn't from that era, and I think that people were hoping for a "hidden gem" so to speak.

I wonder what possessed them to include that song. Did the vast majority of the fan base said "Well, the Early Days tour was great but damn, we didn't get Fear of the Dark"? would anyone have complained about the lack of Fear of the Dark in a tour about the '80s? they had a setlist full of wonderful classics of the time they became the biggest band in the world but still they felt they needed to throw in that song? geez, they know and we know they'd play it until the end of time, just give it a rest when it's classics time, and then have people longing for it for the next tour.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #955 on: August 07, 2017, 01:49:32 PM »

I wonder what possessed them to include that song. Did the vast majority of the fan base said "Well, the Early Days tour was great but damn, we didn't get Fear of the Dark"? would anyone have complained about the lack of Fear of the Dark in a tour about the '80s? they had a setlist full of wonderful classics of the time they became the biggest band in the world but still they felt they needed to throw in that song? geez, they know and we know they'd play it until the end of time, just give it a rest when it's classics time, and then have people longing for it for the next tour.

I'm not sure, I know lots of people didn't like it in the setlist, but I am yet to go to an IM concert where that song does not excite the fan base including both SBIT shows I went to.  It didn't fit, but it still worked in the live setting. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #956 on: August 07, 2017, 01:51:36 PM »
I need my computer!! >:(

Two more days!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #957 on: August 07, 2017, 10:22:11 PM »
In spite of its being overplayed, (which does wear on me a bit)....I don't think anyone can deny that FOTD is the last IM *****CLASSIC****** live song.   As in, I'm not talking "cult favorite", but (like it or not) it is up there as being with The Trooper, RTTH, 2MTM, Hallowed....etc etc.   

I had lost interest in IM after being initially disappointed with SiT.  (Typical American 16yr old...."synths are for pussies" attitude).    But I was working at a CD shop when "Best of the Beast" came out.   That live version (which I believe is taken from ARLO) is just freaking STUNNING the first time you hear it.   Its one of those songs that makes you wish you were there....it actually makes you FEEL like you are there. 

There is something magical about that song when it is played live. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #958 on: August 07, 2017, 11:16:34 PM »

I'm not sure, I know lots of people didn't like it in the setlist, but I am yet to go to an IM concert where that song does not excite the fan base including both SBIT shows I went to.  It didn't fit, but it still worked in the live setting.

I was toward the back of the pavilion at Blossom just outside of Cleveland for that tour. At that show the place went quiet at the beginning of the song. The crowd did eventually join in, but there seemed to be a little bit of shock when the song began.

The later tour with DT opening was also at Blossom. The crowd was very quiet that evening, and I'm not certain, but I think that's the last time IM played in this area. I sometimes wonder if the lack of enthusiasm by the crowd that last time is one of the factors that has kept them away. It's a shame, because I'd love to see them on every tour, but I can't travel great distances to see a show and justify it financially.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #959 on: August 08, 2017, 06:47:12 AM »
I had lost interest in IM after being initially disappointed with SiT.  (Typical American 16yr old...."synths are for pussies" attitude).    But I was working at a CD shop when "Best of the Beast" came out.   That live version (which I believe is taken from ARLO) is just freaking STUNNING the first time you hear it.   Its one of those songs that makes you wish you were there....it actually makes you FEEL like you are there. 

That was the recording that got me into the song as well, which came from A Real Live One.  I had no idea international audiences sang the melodies and riffs like that, so the live version blew me away completely.  It's a fantastic live song, and every time I've seen them, the crowd really gets into it.

For a long time I listened to only Live at Donnington, but a handful of years ago, I started to enjoy A Real Live One a lot.  This thread brought me back to Live at Donninton, which is a nice change of pace.  It's nice to have a full show from this tour.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #960 on: August 09, 2017, 12:11:50 AM »
Looking at the patterns in the setlists up until this tour, it does seem like they experimented to figure out with what worked and what didn't. Some songs that rarely get played today, such as Children Of the Damned or Die With Your Boots On, actually got a really fair shot during the 80s. The songs that are staples today have endured for a good reason. By 1992 they knew what the cream of the crop was live and what got the best reactions.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Mosh

« Reply #961 on: August 12, 2017, 05:04:20 PM »
A Real Live Tour (1993)

Following the end of the Fear Of the Dark tour, Maiden took a short break. The idea was to take a few months off for Steve Harris to put together A Real Live One, and the band would go back out on the road for what was effectively a second leg of the tour. However, the tour was given added significance when, during the break, Bruce Dickinson announced he would be leaving the band at the end of the tour. What was originally going to be a sort of victory lap for another successful tour became a farewell tour for Bruce. It was to be a very brief run taking place exclusively in Europe for a period of just over 2 months. It also included a handful of UK dates, although it was still a far cry from the usual UK itinerary.

Being an extension of the Fear Of the Dark tour, the stage production was pretty much the same as before. The setlist was similar but with some added “classics” from the band’s early albums. Songs that hadn’t been performed since 1983 or earlier, such as Prowler and Remember Tomorrow were back in the setlist. Other songs which had been in and out of the set over the past few years, such as Where Eagles Dare and Wasted Years, were also included. If the 1992 tour wasn’t a “greatest hits” 1993 certainly was.

Over the years, Maiden have earned a reputation as a band with virtually no publicized drama or infighting. A Real Live Tour was the closest they ever got to that point. While the band remained professionals on stage, Steve and Nicko in particular were very candid about Bruce’s decision to leave. Steve felt that Bruce was no longer putting effort into his performances unless he knew they would be recorded for TV or radio. Nicko made similar comments in addition to voicing a feeling of betrayal. On the other hand, Bruce repeatedly claimed that he was having a blast on stage and that there was no friction between the band. There are a lot of bootlegs from this tour so luckily the fans can be the judge here.

Unfortunately, a full show from A Real Live tour has not been released by the band. Raising Hell technically counts, but it is more of a one-off than a part of a tour. Some recordings from the tour appear on A Real Dead One, so the band definitely at least has audio in the archives. There is a TV broadcast from Milan on this tour, but it’s not a full performance. Still worth watching to see how this tour compared to the previous visually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKxsLkMgdNI

A Real Dead One (1993)

The sequel to A Real Live One, A Real Dead One was supposed to be released shortly after but was delayed until the end of the tour. This turned out to be a positive as Steve was able to add the rarities played on the 1993 tour. The result is a mixture of songs from both A Real Live Tour and Fear Of the Dark tour.

Where A Real Live One focused exclusively on the post-Live After Death era, A Real Dead One focuses on songs from before Live After Death. While only four of the twelve songs didn’t appear on the classic live album, A Real Dead One doesn’t feel like a retread of Live After Death. It was recorded 8 years later with a different lineup and, as a result, the songs have a different feel. It also continues the raw sound of A Real Live One with the songs being recorded at different venues.

The tracklist is especially interesting because, being a compilation, it once again does not have the typical flow of a Maiden concert. Number Of the Beast had never been a concert opener, and the typical encore tracks Sanctuary and Running Free are in the middle of the album. Like A Real Live One, unless you’re reading the back of the CD case, it’s an unpredictable selection of songs.

A single was released for A Real Dead One, Hallowed Be Thy Name. It was to be the last single released with Bruce in the band and, appropriately, features Bruce being murdered by Eddie on the cover. You might remember Paul Di’Anno meeting a similar fate in an alternate artwork for Maiden Japan years earlier. The b-sides to the single are outtakes from the tour that didn’t make it on A Real Dead One: Wasted Years and Wrathchild. Wasted Years is of particular interest because it’s a signature Adrian Smith song being performed without Adrian in the band, and of course Janick takes the solo.

Raising Hell (Recorded 1993, released 1994)

Raising Hell is probably the strangest thing Maiden has ever done in their career. It was recorded on a soundstage in the UK’s Pinewood Studios for a pay-per-view TV event (remember those?). The performance itself actually took place a couple months after the last show on the A Real Live One tour, so the band were already searching for a new singer and Bruce was working on his solo album. While Raising Hell is seen as Bruce’s final farewell, it’s almost like a mini-reunion before they went their separate ways.

If a pay-per-view Maiden event recorded in a TV studio wasn’t unusual enough, the gig was topped off with a collaboration with British magician Simon Drake. Drake performs magic tricks in between and even during the band’s performance. There are props, special effects, and overall it’s the most theatric Iron Maiden concert.

The setlist is mostly based on A Real Live Tour but with some tweaks. The concert was edited to change some of the songs around, so it’s a different experience than listening to a bootleg from the tour. Unfortunately, most of the rarities from the tour weren’t included in this video, with the exception of Transylvania. I’m not sure if Remember Tomorrow, Prowler, or Where Eagles Dare were actually performed, but they aren’t on the video. The best way to describe it is a shuffled version of the Fear Of the Dark setlist with some minor additions.

The performance itself has received mixed reviews with fans and is generally not regarded as one of their best moments. Tensions within the band were at a high, especially since Bruce was beginning to take shots at Maiden in interviews. Steve has recalled being furious at Bruce during the concert and it’s obvious that they are avoiding each other in the video. Bruce also seems bored and is clearly done with Maiden. Most fans agree that the magic portions are a distraction at best and cheesy at worst.

A VHS of the performance was released in 1994, probably to fill the gap of what would be one of Maiden’s quietest years. A DVD was released later on and can be found pretty cheap. It’s worth watching for the historic significance and for the novelty, but is probably the worst live video the band has released.

Bruce’s Departure & Closing Thoughts On the 1990-1993 Lineup
It’s hard to say what the catalyst was for Bruce leaving Maiden. He’s never really given a straight answer and there are multiple possibilities. The most likely explanation is that he continued to discover other interests outside of Maiden and eventually realized he was being held back. In the time since Seventh Son, Bruce wrote two books, released a solo album, and received his pilot’s license. Like Adrian a few years earlier, it was better for everyone involved for Bruce to leave if he wasn’t 100% into it.

Despite the negativity mentioned earlier, Bruce’s departure is widely considered one of the amicable splits in Rock history. There was very little drama within the band during the breakup and Bruce remained on their label and management during his solo career. Steve and Nicko were clearly unhappy with Bruce’s performances toward the end, but for the most part everybody acted like adults. The dynamic was mostly the same through the 90s, with the two camps occasionally taking small jabs at each other, but they were also often complementary and never resorted to pettines. This is at least partially the reason why they were able to reunite not long after.

Coincidentally, around the same time Bruce decided to quit Maiden, Martin Birch announced that he would be retiring after 10 years of working almost exclusively with Maiden. Birch had actually wanted to retire earlier but was so satisfied with the Maiden partnership that he hung on for a few more years. Steve Harris was becoming more involved in the production process, so Birch felt comfortable leaving it in his hands. As a result, A Real Live/Dead One and Live At Donington were both entirely produced by Steve. With Bruce and Martin Birch out of the picture, Maiden were truly heading into uncharted waters.

Maiden took 1994 off to search for Bruce’s replacement, making it the second year with no live performances or studio releases. Steve used the vacancy as an opportunity to take Maiden in a different direction. He was adamant that the new vocalist would be an unknown British vocalist and not a Bruce Dickinson clone. Blaze Bayley was actually Steve’s first choice. Blaze and Maiden knew each other from the No Prayer On the Road Tour where Wolfsbane opened for Maiden. Blaze was reluctant at first, so the band went through audition tapes to no avail. Eventually they were able to convince Blaze to audition and he was accepted into the band. It wouldn’t be until late 1995 when audiences had their first chance to hear the new band, as Maiden decided to take their time with the next album. It was, after all, one of the most critical moments of their career. Many were questioning their ability to survive the 90s so it was important for the next album to be a strong artistic statement.

We’ll talk about The X Factor next Friday, but stay tuned for a quick write up on Balls To Picasso a few days before.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: A Real Live Tour (1993)
« Reply #962 on: August 12, 2017, 06:07:18 PM »
I remember really liking A Real Live One. I played it a lot. And I was looking at the US dates of that first leg. It's a lot more shows than I remember. I thought they played Canada and the West Coast. I was surprised to see some mid America dates. They never made it back to the Northeast, unfortunately.

I was heavy into bootleg trading during this time. I remember enjoying the Montreal boot a lot.
Also, on video, there was a great boot from Toronto. I can't seem to locate it on Youtube, but the Oslo show is one of my all time favorites. This show is awesome!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STAGBsL8jK0&t=1961s

I like A Real Dead One for the rarities. I remember reading a two word review of the album.
Iron Maiden-A Real Dead One..."No kidding!".

I've never really bothered with the '93 shows. I actually bought the Pay Per View of Raising Hell. Problem was, I was away that weekend. I believe it was a Saturday night. I set my VCR to record it. When I got home I was so pissed!! It didn't record. And I got billed for it!!
Anyway, it might be the most cringeworthy thing I've ever seen the band do. I cannot even watch the concert. And the magic show?? WTF??

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #963 on: August 12, 2017, 10:52:44 PM »
"Bruce would make a country album if he thought it would sell." - Steve Harris
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #964 on: August 13, 2017, 02:31:26 AM »
Well, the production and Bruce being not really into it are two things that fans usually don't like about the Real Live / Dead one albums, but in indsight, the idea of having two companion releases, one for the post-LAD stuff and one for the early years, was quite good, certainly more innovative than the later DVDs with the "Current tour setlist and who cares if Trooper, Iron Maiden, Fear of the Dark and 666 are still in it" approach.

I've seen videos here and there of Raising Hell, but never the whole thing.  I always thought of it as the last concert of the tour, I never realized it was almost an afterthought and therefore a "mini reunion" when the parting of the ways already happened.

When I was being introduced to Iron Maiden, I remember hearing as well the "Bruce sang good only in important gigs" thing, so it's probably something that got quite widespread around even in the very early days of the internet.

Also I didn't know that Blaze was essentially handpicked, and that he himself had doubts (Steve, if someone feels they can't sing for Maiden, just take their heed  :biggrin: ), I thought there was a regular audition process, and Blaze in the end won also helped by the fact that he was british.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #965 on: August 13, 2017, 03:00:28 AM »
The live releases from the early 90s is my least favorite live stuff of theirs. It's not my favorite Maiden line up, the concerts don't sound that great and the albums they promoted weren't their best, so the choice to put the accent on the greatest hits was a desperate move. Even those hits have already been released in better performances.

Raising hell is a mess. I had it on the DVD but decided to give it away since I realized I had never watched it as often as Rock in Rio, Flight 666 and even Death on the road.

Anyway, such an ugly era for the band. Bruce was right to walk away and go into more adventurous, interesting solo career, and Maiden definitely needed a refreshment, which was perfectly provided by the brilliant Blaze Bayley. I'm looking forward to discussing that era, but bring on Balls to Picasso first.  ;)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: August 13, 2017, 04:10:41 AM »
Going back to Live at Donington, that is one of my fav Maiden releases for nostalgic reasons.  When I discovered Maiden a managed to get a few of the cd's at a local second hand cd store.  They had some VHS's and Donighton was there.  It was my first live experience with Maiden and I was blown away.  I use to get home from school and watch the whole thing every single afternoon.

I never had a problem with Bruce's vocals over these years.  To me, Bruce is one of those singers that on a bad night, are still good. 

Raising Hell is cheesy but enjoyable.  So raw and very sloppy, but I love watching Dave on this one.  He's seriously playing like it might actually be the last time Maiden play again.  Love it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #967 on: August 13, 2017, 05:45:07 AM »
Funny you mention Dave. I actually feel bad for him on Raising Hell.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #968 on: August 13, 2017, 11:39:17 AM »
One thing about A Real Dead One: the version of Where Eagles Dare is shorter than the studio one. I remember hearing it for the first time and thinking "nooooooo!!!! Why did they mess up with this song???". And the solos in that version sound awful...

Offline jammindude

« Reply #969 on: August 13, 2017, 11:49:50 AM »
One thing about A Real Dead One: the version of Where Eagles Dare is shorter than the studio one. I remember hearing it for the first time and thinking "nooooooo!!!! Why did they mess up with this song???". And the solos in that version sound awful...

This really irritated me too.   Where Eagles Dare is instantly in my top 5 pre-synth Maiden songs, and I was so excited that a live version was finally getting an official release.   I was profoundly disappointed in the result. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #970 on: August 13, 2017, 12:00:46 PM »
I've never heard that live version. Did they just cut parts of the song out?

Offline Mosh

« Reply #971 on: August 13, 2017, 12:12:03 PM »
They just play it insanely fast.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #972 on: August 13, 2017, 01:37:40 PM »
Here's the version I'm referring to: https://youtu.be/tPfxj0TK-vQ

The whole section of "Bavarian Alps that lay all around they seem to stare from below" is cut. And what Jannick does at 03:04 is why I don't like him. He just ruins this song by doing that...to me, when he does this it sounds like he's taking a piss.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #973 on: August 13, 2017, 03:33:18 PM »
Funny, I always quite liked what Janick did on that one.

Funny you mention Dave. I actually feel bad for him on Raising Hell.

All he wants to do is play and you can see he thinks there's a chance with Bruce moving on that nothing is certain and could in fact be the end.  He shreds his heart out on this one. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #974 on: August 13, 2017, 04:01:52 PM »
I don't mind Jannick did there on ARDO's Where Eagles Dare.
Lots of moving parts on that track.

I seriously never thought that.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #975 on: August 13, 2017, 09:31:07 PM »
A Real Dead One is awesome for the rare songs, before the Eddies Archives box set came out, this was all we had.

Raising Hell was one of the first 3 DVD's that I ever bought in early 2000/2001 when I got my first DVD player.   Gladiator, Metallica's Cunning Stunts and Raising Hell.  Pisses me off to see Gladiator in the $5 bin now, when I paid $24 for it back then.  I had some bootleg Maiden videos from the BNW tour, and saw them in 99, but this was my first of their official live video releases.  Finally, something digital, something where I could skip through by pushing a button and not fast forwarding or rewinding a VHS tape.  I loved that video, even with the stupid magic crap...until I got Rock in Rio.

A few years ago, I sold a bunch of CD's and DVD's and had no regrets about getting rid of Raising Hell.  Not with the live cd's from this tour - A Real Live/Dead One, Live at Donnington.  That's enough for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #976 on: August 14, 2017, 04:43:07 AM »
I don't mind Jannick did there on ARDO's Where Eagles Dare.
Lots of moving parts on that track.

I seriously never thought that.

Besides the usual Janick like roughness, the solo he constructs for the song is actually really really good.  Janick gets slammed for rushing his solos and playing all over the place as fast as he can without purpose, but here, he comes up with something more thought out and fitting and he still cops it.  Bloke can't win.

Offline efx

« Reply #977 on: August 14, 2017, 05:43:25 AM »
I have a special place for a real live one as they pulled the performance of ATSS from the Stockholm show I was at. The last tour with Dickinson was really interesting setlist wise. Was great hearing Prowler and Transylvania live.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #978 on: August 14, 2017, 07:01:58 PM »
I like what Janick did with Where Eagles Dare. I wouldn't want it to replace the studio version, but I enjoy when they change things up. It's a solid solo too.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #979 on: August 14, 2017, 07:07:21 PM »
Not that any band with Steve Harris needed anymore of it, but there's a certain genuineness and honesty about Jannick.