Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 183543 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)
« Reply #630 on: July 07, 2017, 04:09:41 PM »
What's so bad about calling it imgur? ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #631 on: July 07, 2017, 07:29:20 PM »
I should add that Only the Good Die Young has a VERY rare thing on a Maiden song: a Steve Harris solo!!!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #632 on: July 07, 2017, 07:40:23 PM »
That is such a cool moment. All around an overrated track. I definitely get what TAC is saying that it seems like an anticlimactic ending, another epic afterwards would've been cool, but as a song itself it's awesome. Also one of Bruce's strongest lyrics.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #633 on: July 07, 2017, 07:44:12 PM »
It's a great song. No doubt. Needs a prechorus though. Yes that bass solo is awesome!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: July 08, 2017, 12:29:05 AM »
It's a great song. No doubt. Needs a prechorus though. Yes that bass solo is awesome!

Never thought about that, but great call.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline stargazer18

« Reply #635 on: July 08, 2017, 08:43:24 AM »
In 1988 I remember the talk at the time was how bands like Iron Maiden were softening up. Up and comers like Metallica, who gained a huge cult following with the release of Master of Puppets in 1986, were said to be the new force of metal and were continuing down the path of harder music in a similar vein as bands like Maiden had done just a few years earlier. Most of this newer metal didn’t appeal to me though Master of Puppets is an outstanding album. By this time I had already begun to explore other bands such as Rush, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin so I had diversified my tastes a bit. I wasn’t so committed to Maiden keeping the same sound that many others at the time wanted them to do.

My friend who went to the SIT concert with me was a huge Motley Crue fan and had already seen his favorite band soften their hard edge a bit while they went down the path of glam by the time Girls, Girls, Girls was released in 1987. He also had MTV (I didn’t) so after seeing the debut of Can I Play With Madness he told me the inevitable had occurred: Maiden have gone commercial. I liked the song a lot and still do even though it does (for Maiden) have that catchy chorus that really screams for radio play.

Like SIT I listened to this cassette twice the night I got it. From the first listen I liked most of the songs. It took me a while to get into Infinite Dreams and The Prophecy but in time I will say they are both enjoyable. And that acoustic guitar into – that was something different for Maiden! I too found the chorus on the Title Track somewhat disappointing but there’s enough going on to make up for this shortcoming.

I listened to this disc twice before posting and I think it is an excellent end to the 80’s for this band. The fact that the concept is somewhat weak doesn’t bother me a bit.

I don’t think there’s any filler on the album and rate all songs as top tier! I attribute at least some of this to the diversity of writing credits on the songs. Everyone but Nicko contributed.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: July 09, 2017, 04:54:07 AM »
I don’t think there’s any filler on the album and rate all songs as top tier! I attribute at least some of this to the diversity of writing credits on the songs. Everyone but Nicko contributed.

You say this like it's a rare thing.

Offline stargazer18

« Reply #637 on: July 09, 2017, 05:12:53 AM »

I'll clarify "At the time, this album featured a larger diversity in writing credits than previous albums." This is more commonplace in the reunion era.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #638 on: July 09, 2017, 05:16:44 AM »

I'll clarify "At the time, this album featured a larger diversity in writing credits than previous albums." This is more commonplace in the reunion era.

Fair enough, but really POM had all four contribute, Powerslave had only no Dave and SIT had no Bruce, and that was only because Bruce had gone troppo from touring and his song ideas were shot down.  But I see what you're saying.

Offline stargazer18

« Reply #639 on: July 09, 2017, 06:53:01 AM »

Fair enough, but really POM had all four contribute, Powerslave had only no Dave and SIT had no Bruce, and that was only because Bruce had gone troppo from touring and his song ideas were shot down.  But I see what you're saying.

Next time I post I'll finish my coffee first AND reply on my PC instead of my tablet! In the process of responding to your statement about the diversity being a rare thing I somehow erased most of my response. To save time when I retyped my response I shortened my original thought and left out some pertinent info.

Moving on.

This album was the first to see the Smith/Harris/Dickinson combo show up as well as the Harris/Dickinson combo. Mosh notes these in his write up but I wanted to say that for a fan of the band at this time it didn't go unnoticed. The diversity here is at the song level, not the album level as a whole.

This album definitely has a different feel than any of the others before or after it. As a side note, In the Run to the Hills biography Harris states that this album and Piece of Mind were his two favorites of the 80's and that he was disappointed that it didn't do better here in the US than SIT.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #640 on: July 10, 2017, 05:41:25 AM »
Man... why do I let myself get behind in these threads - a month!  9 pages!  That was a lot of reading.

Powerslave ... Rime is #2 song in Maiden discog for me.  Flawless.  Given how I started my Maiden listening journey (more later), PS falls to the bottom of the 80s pile.  Like had been repeatedly mentioned, the bookends are all brilliant, the middle is mostly forgettable - probably because I spent so much time with the 'big 4'.

Somewhere in Time ... So clean, so polished.  I always felt the production was a gargantuan leap forward.  Don't know why, just how I felt.  So many fantabulous solos!  Without a doubt my favorite album cover, and the only album I have on vinyl.  It was my second album buy from IM (first was 7th Son on CD), and since CD's were hella expensive in 1988, I opted for the vinyl for SiT.

Seventh Son... This was my first Maiden album, purchased shortly after it's release, followed by me getting the entire Bruce-era back catalog - to those that remember Columbia House Record Club, I can thank them for this (I believe it was part of my first 6-pack order).  To call it a "full concept album" is a stretch - for all the reasons listed already.  And I'm not sure I'd call the opening of Moonchild an indication that "we're in for something special"... something "different", certainly.  I guess I'm kinda weird in that I don't like the 2nd part of Moonchild's opening.  Love the acoustic/spoken intro, but those synths.... So un-Maiden like. 

I thought I was weird in that I really like Can I Play With Madness - at the time, I was very much a glam/classic rock guy, so this song was kinda like a bridge for me to get more into some of the the harder/metal bands like Sabbath, Ozzy, Metallica, and some others.  30 years ago, there was a near revolt against that song for being "too" commercial.  Seems it's aged well for many - unsurprisingly, not for Tim.

Title track contains my favorite instrumental section of Maiden.  The choirs give me goosebumps every-damn-time.  Gotta say, I was :omg: at Powerslave's mention of it being the weakest epic of the 80s. I just really wish Maiden could write a non-repetitive chorus. 

Digression... Tim, you referenced (and we all know) your love for UFO.  I'd love for you to do a discussion thread on them.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #641 on: July 10, 2017, 05:51:20 AM »
   Digression... Tim, you referenced (and we all know) your love for UFO.  I'd love for you to do a discussion thread on them.

Thank you. I've been put up to do an Alice Cooper and UFO one before.  I may at some point. Problem is, I would have to do it right, which would require some major time investment, and the threads might be read by only a handful of guys. Still, both bands' stories need to be told...

I'm laid up on the couch for another week, maybe I'll think about starting to get some text stored. Over the weekend, I have already saved my discussion points for the next 3 Maiden albums and the first two Bruce albums for this thread, plus I have gobs of pics ready to go. So as soon as Mosh opens the 7th Tour, I'll post those.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: July 10, 2017, 09:21:02 AM »
Loving every post in this thread. Excellent curator-like write-ups by Mosh.

Getting ahead of myself but I am dreading the Blaze era being discussed since I am about 99.2% certain that 98.3% of posters are going to absolutely destroy it. I'll be in the 1.7% that either doesn't mind the albums or - gasp! - loves them. But oh boy, the criticism is going to be tough to read :biggrin:
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #643 on: July 10, 2017, 09:23:08 AM »

Getting ahead of myself but I am dreading the Blaze era being discussed since I am about 99.2% certain that 98.3% of posters are going to absolutely destroy it. I'll be in the 1.7% that either doesn't mind the albums or - gasp! - loves them. But oh boy, the criticism is going to be tough to read :biggrin:

There is actually a fair amount of love around here for the Blaze era.  Certainly, enough coming from Australia.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: July 10, 2017, 09:33:02 AM »

There is actually a fair amount of love around here for the Blaze era.  Certainly, enough coming from Australia.

Yea, that album is not hated so badly here including myself.  But looking forward to it, especially from the POV of the fans at the time.  I feel like those people may dislike it the most since they lived through that experience.  Whereas myself listened way later and had a different perspective.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #645 on: July 10, 2017, 09:35:19 AM »

I am planning on listening thoroughly to the era before and during the discussion on those record. I've listened a bunch and own them, but will admit that Blaze's voice just lacks the character and power of Bruce, which hurt Maiden. There are some killer songs on those records that Bruce would have turned into something really special.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #646 on: July 10, 2017, 09:46:50 AM »
I kinda lived through the Blaze era... the moment X Factor came out I was barely starting to listen to Maiden so I consider Virtual XI my first "new album as a fan", and I was young and naive and all the reunions haven't happened yet so it was easier to just accept that Bruce was gone, compared to today when you realize that every reunion is a matter of time, and just one year after Virtual XI Bruce was back so it wasn't that much of a trauma for me.

I didn't live through the upcoming disc, No Prayer, but let's hold our breath for that...
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mosh

« Reply #647 on: July 10, 2017, 09:50:45 AM »
Last thought on Seventh Son: This used to be my favorite Maiden album and revisiting it for this thread reminded me why. It's still probably in my top 3, making it my second favorite 80s album after Piece of Mind. The synths and the overall more produced style comes off better than on SIT and the more collaborative songwriting approach benefits the music in a big way.

Bruce also brings it on this album. Easily among his greatest performances. You listen to songs such as Moonchild, The title track, and the Prophecy and you can tell he's having a great time with the material. It's the peak of his theatricality. His voice has also developed and sounds fuller and all around more powerful. Where he was the weak link (imo) on Somewhere In Time, he's easily the MVP of Seventh Son.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #648 on: July 10, 2017, 09:53:41 AM »
Well, on SIT he was surely burned out, but the vocal lines didn't help him either.

RUUUUUUUUUUUUN ON AND OOOOOOOOOOON
RUUUUUUUUUUUUN ON AND OOOOOOOOOOON

CAUGHT SOMEWHERE IN TIIIIIMEEEEEEEEEEEE
CAUGHT SOMEWHERE IN TIIIIIMEEEEEEEEEEEE

That after a gazillion of words spit out in the verses like with Heaven can Wait and Loneliness.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #649 on: July 10, 2017, 10:07:14 AM »
Last thought on Seventh Son: This used to be my favorite Maiden album and revisiting it for this thread reminded me why. It's still probably in my top 3, making it my second favorite 80s album after Piece of Mind. The synths and the overall more produced style comes off better than on SIT and the more collaborative songwriting approach benefits the music in a big way.

Bruce also brings it on this album. Easily among his greatest performances. You listen to songs such as Moonchild, The title track, and the Prophecy and you can tell he's having a great time with the material. It's the peak of his theatricality. His voice has also developed and sounds fuller and all around more powerful. Where he was the weak link (imo) on Somewhere In Time, he's easily the MVP of Seventh Son.

Yup, I love this album. Seventh Son continues a lot of what I like about Somewhere in Time, but generally improves upon it by and large and Bruce's input injects a stronger vocal and lyrical work here.

I adore the title track off this album. Probably my favorite prog epic of the 80s era. When I first got into the band, I never thought I'd ever get the chance to see them play this song live. So imagine my excitement when they announced the Maiden England tour a few years ago and when I heard those opening chords live for myself.

Just an amazing song and album.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #650 on: July 10, 2017, 10:26:27 AM »
This Maiden album took met the longest time to get into. I loved Somewhere in Time and again went tot my local record store to buy it when it was released. The guy behind the teller took the cover from me (to get the inside cover and record to put it into the sleeve, that's how they sold records back then....never mind) and said: "you're one of the few that is actually buying it". What he meant was: you're one of the few to actually buy it aftre listening to the first track or two (which is also what you did back then, you listened for a bit, said: 'I'll have this, thank you!' or 'Nah thanks, it's not for me' and then proceed to either pay for it or not. I got what he meant though, because after listening to the first track and a half or so, I was in a state of doubt, which was a first for a Maiden record. That whole acoustic intro, I couldn't make heads nor tails of it.

Anyway I'm glad I did decide to buy it, but I wasn't convinced for about after the fourth time of playing it all the way through. It took a bit longer to land, this one. I mean, the sound was there, the superb playing was there, Bruce's fantastic vocals were there, but it was like they said: 'Hold on, we got something a little different for you this time, take some time to really listen to this.'

I got the fact that it was somewhat of a concept-album (but what the flippin' heck is it about?) but it wasn't as readily Obvious as say, Mindcrime, what the concept was. They actually made you work for it to figure it out.

It actually took me probably some years to really fully appreciate this album, but I'm glad I decided to stick with it. I mean, I immediately liked Moonchild, The Clairvoyant, can I play with madness and Heaven can wait. But the rest took a bit longer.

From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #651 on: July 10, 2017, 10:48:07 AM »
I'm a newer (didn't really invest in the Maiden catalog until the mid-2000s) Maiden fan, and 7th Son took a while for sure. I like it better now than I first did. It's still not in my top-5 for Maiden, but it's just outside (maybe 7th). It's not as immediate, but there is some really good stuff there. I could absolutely see where being a Maiden fan back then, how 7th Son might throw people off.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #652 on: July 10, 2017, 11:04:52 AM »
I'm a newer (didn't really invest in the Maiden catalog until the mid-2000s) Maiden fan, and 7th Son took a while for sure. I like it better now than I first did. It's still not in my top-5 for Maiden, but it's just outside (maybe 7th).

I see what you did there.  :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: July 10, 2017, 11:29:24 AM »
I'm a newer (didn't really invest in the Maiden catalog until the mid-2000s) Maiden fan, and 7th Son took a while for sure. I like it better now than I first did. It's still not in my top-5 for Maiden, but it's just outside (maybe 7th).

:rollin

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #654 on: July 10, 2017, 11:36:48 AM »

The Seventh Ranking of the Seventh Album.   :metal

Offline Mosh

« Reply #655 on: July 10, 2017, 01:08:21 PM »
The title track took me time to get into. The instrumental ending always through me off, like where's the rest of the song? Now i appreciate it a lot more and prefer it that way. Especially when you compare it to ATG which has such a lazy ending. I actually didn't realize SSOASS had a very similar structure to TTAL until recently. It seems to take all the great parts of the previous epics the same way Rime did a few years earlier.

Update coming tonight

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #656 on: July 10, 2017, 01:17:32 PM »
Especially when you compare it to ATG which has such a lazy ending.

Thank you. I agree. Rime has a lazy ending too.

The title track took me time to get into. The instrumental ending always through me off,   I actually didn't realize SSOASS had a very similar structure to TTAL until recently. 

I like that arrangement. They resurrected it for The Book Of Souls (the song). I wish they would've used it on parts of The X Factor, especially on a track like The Edge Of Darkness, which could've ended perfectly with "...the genius must die."

Offline stargazer18

« Reply #657 on: July 10, 2017, 05:52:46 PM »
Especially when you compare it to ATG which has such a lazy ending.

Thank you. I agree. Rime has a lazy ending.

Rime has the epic tale, that's all it needs. ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #658 on: July 10, 2017, 05:57:59 PM »
An epic tale, but not an epic tail:D

Offline stargazer18

« Reply #659 on: July 10, 2017, 06:05:25 PM »

Offline Mosh

« Reply #660 on: July 10, 2017, 06:41:49 PM »
I actually like the way Rime ends. The instrumental after the quiet middle section is intense and I find it impressive how they managed to bring it back to the beginning. It makes sense from a storytelling perspective too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #661 on: July 10, 2017, 06:48:55 PM »
The transition out of the instrumental section is good. It's actually something they struggle with, ie..Alexander, The Nomad, The Red And The Black.

But besides that, I find that Rime ends on such a whimper.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #662 on: July 10, 2017, 07:04:42 PM »
I will say it's kinda strange how it doesn't have any sort of outro. It just ends on the final verse. I see what they were going for but a cool final riff at the end would've been welcome.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #663 on: July 10, 2017, 07:45:03 PM »

What is it with you and the ass topic lately?  :biggrin:
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #664 on: July 10, 2017, 08:28:45 PM »

What is it with you and the ass topic lately?  :biggrin:

I'm an ass, maybe?

:neverusethis: