Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 183503 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Beast Over Hammersmith (1982/2002)
« Reply #245 on: June 04, 2017, 09:55:22 PM »
Going to post Piece of Mind tomorrow. One last note on the Beast era: I'm listening to that Priest bootleg right now and while Maiden killed that opening slot, Priest obviously weren't slouches either. There is one area where it's no contest though: even in 1982 Bruce was an infinitely better frontman IMO. Rob is probably more consistent live as far as pure vocal performance goes though.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #246 on: June 05, 2017, 02:26:01 AM »
Going to post Piece of Mind tomorrow.

Which I love so much that I have already prepared a long review / personal impressions about it. Beware the wall of text!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #247 on: June 05, 2017, 09:17:09 AM »

Going to post Piece of Mind tomorrow.

Which I love so much that I have already prepared a long review / personal impressions about it. Beware the wall of text!  :metal

Ditto!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #248 on: June 05, 2017, 11:12:33 AM »
Just a quick thing regarding The Number of the beast before we move onto another great album - whenever I hear "a reflections of my warped mind staring back at me," it sounds like "my woman staring back at me." A fun little misheard lyric for you there.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #249 on: June 05, 2017, 12:27:20 PM »
I initially thought it was "[something, something] my WalkmanTM staring back at me."  I knew that couldn't be right, but that's what it sounded like, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out the right lyric without looking it up.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: June 05, 2017, 12:33:57 PM »
Just a quick thing regarding The Number of the beast before we move onto another great album - whenever I hear "a reflections of my warped mind staring back at me," it sounds like "my woman staring back at me." A fun little misheard lyric for you there.  :lol

I always hear woman too

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: June 05, 2017, 12:40:16 PM »
Going to post Piece of Mind tomorrow. One last note on the Beast era: I'm listening to that Priest bootleg right now and while Maiden killed that opening slot, Priest obviously weren't slouches either. There is one area where it's no contest though: even in 1982 Bruce was an infinitely better frontman IMO. Rob is probably more consistent live as far as pure vocal performance goes though.

Bruce is no question one of the best frontmen I've ever seen.  His energy is outstanding.  Actually, the whole band is energy personified on stage.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #252 on: June 05, 2017, 12:51:06 PM »

I always hear woman too

Huh... I thought the lyric was "woman". You mean it's not?? I've probably heard that song at least 500 times, and I never knew the lyric was not "woman".

M, you fuckin' wid us??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #253 on: June 05, 2017, 01:35:58 PM »
Piece of Mind (1983)

After taking a short break for Christmas, Maiden went back into the studio in January 1983 to record the next album with yet another new member: Nicko McBrain. With the addition of Nicko, the band’s “classic” lineup was complete. Nicko’s level of technicality and tendency to push the tempo made for a perfect fit in Maiden and allowed for more complex music. Nicko had previously worked as a session drummer and gained some notoriety for playing in Pat Travers band. He was discovered by Maiden when they performed with his French Metal band,Trust. Interestingly, when Nicko left Trust for Maiden, he was replaced with none other than Clive Burr!

To record Piece of Mind, the band entered Compass Point Studios in the Bahamas. This would be the first of several Maiden albums recorded there. Compass Point had a very relaxed environment, being located on an island near a 24 hour bar. The atmosphere comes across on this album, which isn’t nearly as dark as the previous Maiden albums.

Piece of Mind is notable for being the first Maiden album to have a diverse set of writing credits, as opposed to being predominantly Steve’s songs. Number Of the Beast had one song that Steve did not contribute to, Piece of Mind has 3. No longer contractually obligated to Samson, Bruce Dickinson was able to contribute to the album and receive credit. The duo penned Flight Of Icarus and Sun and Steel together, as well as Die With Your Boots On with help from Steve. The Smith/Dickinson songs often featured huge catchy choruses that often made for great singles. Bruce also contributed his first solo song credit with Revelations, a song that took inspiration from Aleister Crowley and an English hymnal. There’s also the obligatory Murray contribution in Still Life.

While Steve Harris may have loosened his grip on the song credits for this album, he certainly didn’t contribute less. His contributions to the album are among Maiden’s best. Where Eagles Dare is the perfect opener which also cleverly showcases their new drummer. There’s also To Tame a Land, Steve’s 3rd epic. To Tame a Land didn’t seem to have the same impact as Phantom or Hallowed, but it’s still a great song that would help Steve prepare to write Rime. Then of course there’s The Trooper, easily the most well known song on the album and one of Maiden’s most popular songs.

This album also acts as a sort of “catch all” for Maiden’s typical lyrical topics. There are songs about war (The Trooper, Where Eagles Dare), literary inspired songs (To Tame a Land), songs dealing with inner turmoil (Still Life), and songs with occult themes (Revelations). In many ways, Piece of Mind is the Maiden album that best embodies their reputation. It heavily utilizes the gallop rhythm, the twin guitar attack, and showcases every member in top form.

The album was originally meant to be titled Food For Thought, but was changed to Piece of Mind when they came up with the idea of lobotomizing Eddie on the cover. The artwork is yet another Riggs masterpiece, but is a more minimalist design compared to Number of the Beast and the two albums that would follow. In addition to the album artwork, Riggs contributed some of his best work to the singles for this album. The Trooper is probably the most iconic Metal image, more recognizable than the album itself. Flight Of Icarus is also very cool. I always liked when the single artwork tied into the album art.

Piece of Mind proved to be yet another success for the band. While it didn’t chart as high as Beast in the UK, it did become the band’s highest charting album so far in the US. It received critical acclaim and won a Kerrang poll for greatest Metal album of all time. Maiden kept getting better and had delivered yet another classic album. The singles, The Trooper and Flight of Icarus, were also hits. Flight of Icarus was Maiden’s highest charting single in the US and The Trooper was another song that managed to get radio airplay for the band. Interestingly, the b-side, a cover of Jethro Tull’s Cross Eyed Mary, also got a lot of airplay.

Piece of Mind is my favorite Maiden album. Not only does it perfectly encapsulate the band, but it also has the best production, the best guitar sound, and of course some of their best songs. The one-two punch of Where Eagles Dare and Revelations is one of the band’s finest moments. It is the perfect blend of accessibility, complexity, and heaviness. Definitive Maiden.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online MirrorMask

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Piece of Mind (1983)
« Reply #254 on: June 05, 2017, 01:43:25 PM »
Nice recap! Piece of Mind is one of my favorite albums of all time, and my Maiden favorite alongside Seventh Son.

The production is stellar, the songs iconic and timeless, Bruce owns the album like a god and Nicko is a very welcome addiction. A perfect album, and yes, I know there's Quest for Fire on it, but it's so amazing that it manages to plently make up for dinosaurs and men walking around together.

I already mentioned the lesser song of the album, but the other one that is overlooked, Sun and Steel, is, well, overlooked for me. Sure, it pales in comparison to the other songs of the album and the other ones of  Maiden's discography, but the song itself is a nice rocker with a good chorus, and the ending ("Life is like a wheeeeeel.... and it's rolling stiiiiiiiillll") is badass.

And since I'm in the bottom half of the album (yeah I'm gonna praise all the songs here), let's remember To Tame a Land, the epic of the album that ends with a great instrumental section, which follows an insanely vocal progression by Bruce. To Tame a Land is also one of the four Maiden songs, in their history, that have claimed at a time the title of their longest song. Phantom of the Opera was the first longest song in Maiden's discography, for obvious reasons, Hallowed is seconds shorted, and To Tame a Land is longer than both. So when Piece of Mind was out, To Tame a Land was Maiden's longest song, a record it held for a year until Rime came along.

My personal opinion is also that if this song was never played live, fans to this day would still want to hear it. This happened with Alex the Great and so people want to hear that song, but if Alex was played and To Tame a Land wasn't, I'm sure we'd have petitions for that song.

Moving backwards from the bottom half, we have the brilliant and beautiful Still Life. I really love this song, pity it wasn't brought back for the Maiden England tours, it's just lovely and somehow unusual for Maiden, but it's damn great.

The first half of the album is filled of course with absolutely wonderful songs, all masterpieces. Maybe out of these songs, Die with your Boots on is the lesser one, but it's still a damn great rocker, and it was fun to hear it live. The two single are exagerately famous, Flight of Icarus whose video welcomed Nicko in the band and the immortal The Trooper.

I don't hear the studio version anymore, but when it's played live, The Trooper is an absolute rocker and a great injection of adrenaline. I will never, ever tire of hearing this song live. Put me in charge of Maiden's setlists, command me to drop all the overplayed classics but one, I will keep The Trooper in the set and I won't even have to think about it (Sorry Halloweed). It's just that great and iconic. Who ho ho ho ho ho who ho ho!

I'm left with the first two songs. Where Eagles Dare has one of the most awesome and memorable drum intros of all time, my favorite one along with, surprise surprise, Painkiller's. What a way to welcome Nicko into the band! also the song has a memorable riff and an insane performance from Bruce. I remember a story about the drum intro - how Nicko came up with a complicated intro that touched all the parts of his kit, Steve was impressed but didn't really like the intro, and asked "Hey, can you do something like this instead?", trying to play it on drums, and Nicko said "Ah, you mean this?", with "this" being the intro we all know and love.

So, 8 songs out of 9 mentioned, which song is left? Revelations. Long rant coming, beware!

I'm old enough to have lived in the cassette tapes era. Back in the mid '90s there was no widespread internet or YouTube or Spotify, so cassette tapes, sometimes copied second or third hand, were the way to discover music.

Back in 1995 I was the passionate experiment of a classmate that turned me first to foreign music and hard rock with Bon Jovi and Guns n' Roses, and then to metal music with Iron Maiden. He had an habit of making compilations, with the proper pacing and so with a good opener, the good balance etc, so the very first bands I discovered (Bon Jovi, Guns n' Roses, Maiden, Metallica), were all thanks to these compilations - it took me some years to finally listen to full albums from start to finish, it was all a "greatest hits" for me.

I still remember my classmate making eventually 4 mix tapes of Iron Maiden for me, and another one of his habits was to save the "best" song for last, he even marked it with a little star on the handwritten tracklist. On the first cassette tape, the "star" song was Revelations... and boy, he was right!

The song itself, the lyrics, Bruce's absolutely wonderful performance ("She came to me with a serpent's kiss, as the eyes of the sun rose on her lips, moonlight catches silver tears I cry")... that was it. That was when I fell in love with Bruce's voice, with Iron Maiden, and with heavy metal in general.

Bon Jovi's and Guns n' Roses' hard rock already paved the way for heavy music for me, and I'm sure I would have became a metalhead one way or the other, but that's the way it happened: falling in love with Revelations (not that I disliked the other songs of the compilation but that was my favorite) started the avalanche effect that made me a lifelong Iron Maiden and then heavy metal fan.

Revelations, while still being a very great song in itself, holds the record of being symbolically the most important song in my musical formation, and symbolically also my Maiden favorite song as well. And the album that has this song is wonderful and one of the best things ever happened to mankind! :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #255 on: June 05, 2017, 01:57:03 PM »
Somebody else who appreciates the greatness of WED!  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #256 on: June 05, 2017, 02:07:31 PM »
Great intro post, Mosh. And M-Mask, I enjoyed reading your post immensely.

I have so many great memories of Piece Of Mind. This was the first Maiden album that came out when I was already a fan. I remember the local radio station premiering Flight Of Icarus and calling my friend, ..."Did you hear that??". I thought it was a bit short, but cool nonetheless. I bought the tape the first weekend it was available (bought Riot's Narita at the same time.) Brought it back to my friends house and I recall being blown away by To Tame A Land, with all its weird lyrics. I must say that it's a great late night tune.

Nicko's intro to Where Eagles Dare is amazing and he really makes a grand entrance, not just the intro, but through the entire song. It's like one long drum solo. In fact, the beginning to Where Eagles Dare is my phone's ringtone.

Piece Of Mind became the soundtrack to the summer of '83. It was the summer between my freshman and sophomore years of high school. The sound, which is amazing, never fails to reach my inner 14 y/o self.

My first concert was Def Leppard on June 25th, 1983, but on August 27th, 1983, I would see the mighty Iron Maiden for the first time. More on that later..

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #257 on: June 05, 2017, 02:28:22 PM »
I got into Maiden late, but yeah, Piece of Mind is in my top-3 for sure. The production and songs are top notch. Killer original post.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #258 on: June 05, 2017, 04:48:54 PM »

I always hear woman too

Huh... I thought the lyric was "woman". You mean it's not?? I've probably heard that song at least 500 times, and I never knew the lyric was not "woman".

M, you fuckin' wid us??

I think you guys are the ones messing with us.   There *was* a lyric sheet in the original release.......some of us read those things.   :angel:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #259 on: June 05, 2017, 04:53:23 PM »
I don't remember if my cassette had lyrics. I also know all of the songs on Live After Death had lyrics on that sleeve. Still, I know I've never bothered to read them. Not to TNOTB song, anyway. I've always thought it was "woman". Always.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #260 on: June 05, 2017, 04:56:39 PM »
How does that lyric even make sense?  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #261 on: June 05, 2017, 05:15:44 PM »
Not sure. I just went with it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #262 on: June 05, 2017, 06:23:46 PM »
A copy of my ticket stub:

$11.50!!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 12:35:53 PM by TAC »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #263 on: June 05, 2017, 06:26:56 PM »
Re: TAC's comments about Nicky's drumming on WED. I watched some YouTube covers of that song, seems as complicated as DT stuff. Crazy.

Offline stargazer18

« Reply #264 on: June 05, 2017, 06:28:19 PM »
Great intro post, Mosh. And M-Mask, I enjoyed reading your post immensely.

Agree - nice write ups.

Offline stargazer18

« Reply #265 on: June 05, 2017, 06:34:48 PM »
I haven’t listened to this album in years and only after one spin did I realize what an excellent album this is. In some ways I think it makes The Number of The Beast better if only because you realize that it wasn’t a one-off and the band could make a worthy follow up. My own opinion is that Piece is slightly better, collectively both singles are better and the longer songs continue to showcase the depth of songwriting in the band.

Where Eagles Dare starts the album off with a short burst of drums from Nikko before the rest of band enters in. I’ll admit that the song structure is somewhat repetitive but it never reaches a point where it drags on. The lyrics tell the story of a daring rescue of a captured US general, held captive in a castle high in the Bavarian Alps, late in the Second World War. Bruce’s vocals really carry this tune. This song was new to me when I first heard the album (I had already heard those that were included on LAD) and I was impressed with this opening track.

I knew Revelations from LAD and the live version matches the sound and feel of the studio version pretty well. Bruce’s vocals sound better but that is to be expected. Written by Dickinson, it was clear that he too could write some excellent music that was both powerful and diverse.

The first single off the album was The Flight of Icarus and I have to agree with Bruce that this song needs to be taken slow and steady. Local radio here in the Midwest played this song occasionally and it’s great to sing along to.

Die With Your Boots on finishes side one. I know it’s included on LAD but this song is just….okay. I’ve listened to album four times and I can honestly say this is the least interesting song on the album for me.

Side two opens up with The Trooper – a top 10 Maiden song for me. Everything from the blistering guitar intro that quickly transforms into the trade mark galloping Maiden sound to the crafty lyrics detailing the story of an unfortunate British Calvary soldier in the Battle of Balaclava. The actual event would only six weeks later be memorialized in the poem "The Charge of the Light Brigade.” The lyrics themselves don’t hint to the correlation with the poem and here is where MTV steps in to clarify the situation. The video is standard issue Maiden for the time with video of the band performing interspersed with movie clips but it is book ended by excerpts from the famous poem at the beginning and end.

Still Life immediately follows the backwards message and is another favorite off this album. It begins with a simple bass line overlaid with a catchy guitar melody. Bruce enters in with some hushed vocals for a few lines before rest of the band joins in. The tune is a solid rocker and to me the rhythm behind verses power the song along.

I’ve always enjoyed Quest for Fire even though it really isn’t that memorable. It’s a straight ahead rocker for Maiden with a catchy though simple chorus. It’s pretty short and in the days of cassette tapes it was just easier to let it play and not skip ahead.

Sun and Steel is lumped into the same category as Quest for Fire. I always listened to it though my interest was really getting to the last track (think cassette tape). Like Gangland, my favorite part is the two guitar harmony in the middle of the song before the solo.

Like the previous album this one ends with an epic and what a glorious one it is. One of the most underrated songs in their discography. When I discovered Maiden and knew they typically placed a “long” song at the end of the album I was anxious to hear it and was blown away by this track. The quiet build up at the beginning with the “hum along to” lead guitar melody ends with a burst of gong while the rest of band joins in. Harris’ lead bass is prominent at this point and never relents the rest of the song. The guitar melodies really impress me in the song and they’re complimented nicely by the bass.

Top Tier
Where Eagles Dare
Revelations
The Flight of Icarus
The Trooper
Still Life
To Tame a Land

Second Tier
Die With Your Boots On
Quest for Fire
Sun and Steel

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #266 on: June 05, 2017, 06:40:20 PM »
Quest For Fire catches a lot of flack. I bet it could've made a decent instrumental on par with Losfer Words.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #267 on: June 05, 2017, 06:54:26 PM »
I get all the love for Nicko in WED (and well deserved), but what about that solo??  With the sound effects?   KILLER!   The only song that doesn't really cut it for me here is... Quest For Fire.   Filler.

Cool "Where Eagles Dare" story:   I saw Maiden this tour as well - New  Haven Coliseum - with Coney Hatch (sucked) and Fastway (AMAZING!) opening.   So in between Fastway and Maiden, we were on the side looking down on the side- and backstage area, and in front of us was a small desk, almost like a small soundboard, and lo and behold, there was Bruce talking to one of the crew! In shorts and a leather jacket looking cool as crap.  So my friend John and I yelled down, and he looked up, nodded and waved! Yay.   So, the show starts, the opener is "Where Eagles Dare", and we see Bruce run out past the desk where he was before... and his mike doesn't work!  He starts singing anyway but looks PISSED, and makes his way back towards that desk, and I swear (and my friend confirms this) we could hear him singing ACOUSTIC over the band!   And at the end of the first verse, we could hear him yelling at the crew to fix the mic.  He goes back out and about halfway through the first line, it comes on (also confirming that he was singing live without the mic).  He played with a lot of aggression that night, at least early in the show, and it showed.  He's a beast. 

FYI, they played "To Tame A Land" and, in reference to our discussion before, the show ended with Drifter (Iron Maiden ended the main show).

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #268 on: June 05, 2017, 07:16:18 PM »
The guys in the Classic Hard Rock Thread know that from time to time, I'll post pics of my old concert programs.

Here is the World Piece Tour concert program that I bought on August 27th, 1983, at the Cape Cod Coliseum.

The picture of Steve with the blue lighting on page 8 is one of my all time favorite shots of him. Looks so young in that pic. And YES, there's a Pete Way sighting too!!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 12:50:31 PM by TAC »

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #269 on: June 05, 2017, 07:24:29 PM »
Yeah, I've really come to love Piece of Mind over the years. It's not quite a perfect album, as it does have one of the band's biggest stinkers ever in Quest for Fire and Sun & Steel is also kinda iffy, but practically everything else is outstanding. I even dig Die With Your Boots On a lot and its silly, infectious chorus. :lol

I think a special shout out should probably go to Still Life. That's always been one of my favorite songs from the band and I think it rarely gets any recognition from folks. I love how surreal and creepy that song is. Bruce especially turns in a great vocal performance, sounding quite unnerved and troubled.

In my book, PoM is probably tied with Seventh Son of a Seventh Son as the classic era's best album. I tend to prefer the icy, mystical mood of Seventh Son and all of its prog-y synths on a personal level, but there's no arguing against the fact that this album is a masterpiece in the heavy metal genre and one of the greatest works to ever come from Iron Maiden.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #270 on: June 05, 2017, 07:57:35 PM »
Been enjoying lurking and reading this thread - thought it was time to say something!   ;D

Definitely think that PoM is a great album, altho there are some spotty tracks on it too. Surprised that Mosh didn't mention that this was the first album of Maiden's to not have a title track!

But the big reason why I wanted to post was regarding Revelations. My introduction to Maiden was Live After Death (quickly followed by Somewhere in Time, their new album at the time), so those versions of those songs were all well imprinted in my brain long before I heard their studio counterparts. And I gotta say, listening to Revelations on PoM is a real downer for me, even to this day because. it. plods. along. so. slowly. I love the much more brisk pace they played the song on LAD. Am I the only one who thinks this?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #271 on: June 05, 2017, 08:17:48 PM »
But the big reason why I wanted to post was regarding Revelations. My introduction to Maiden was Live After Death (quickly followed by Somewhere in Time, their new album at the time), so those versions of those songs were all well imprinted in my brain long before I heard their studio counterparts. And I gotta say, listening to Revelations on PoM is a real downer for me, even to this day because. it. plods. along. so. slowly. I love the much more brisk pace they played the song on LAD. Am I the only one who thinks this?

I think if all you know is the live version, I totally get that. I was very familiar with KISS Alive long before I heard The Originals.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #272 on: June 05, 2017, 08:34:38 PM »
In other hand... the live version of Flight of Icarus IMO totally kills the great atmosphere of the studio version, which I think is far superior.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #273 on: June 06, 2017, 01:05:53 AM »
In other hand... the live version of Flight of Icarus IMO totally kills the great atmosphere of the studio version, which I think is far superior.

But it has that immensely catchy "Let it go!!!" from Bruce in between the first verse!

About Revelations, as I explained in length above, the studio version for me is a masterpiece as it is. But I get that if you first hear it live, it can seem slower.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #274 on: June 06, 2017, 02:31:51 AM »
I'm so happy more people heard "woman" in The Number of the beast.  :lol

Piece of mind is a classic. Yeah, Die with your boots on and Quest for fire are a bit too silly for me, but regardless, the rest of the album is pretty fantastic. To tame a land is one of their underrated epics and one of their all time best songs. The Trooper, Still life, Revelations and Flight of Icarus are amazing as well. I also have a really soft spot for Sun and steel, a very catchy, quick tune.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: June 06, 2017, 05:25:11 AM »
Piece of Mind was always the more forgotten album of the Bruce Dickinson golden era IMO.  Solid all round and To Tame A Land is so diverse and underrated for Maiden and showed their slightly progressive side too.  Sun and Steel and Fire I don't skip, yeah, they don't stack up to the rest, but they are solid enough.  Where Eagles Dare is a monster.

I kind of like that live version.  Love H's backups.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #276 on: June 06, 2017, 07:50:16 AM »
My favorite Iron Maiden album. I first got this on cassette. I rode my bicycle everywhere with my earphones on playing this album over and over.

I was in the garage band with my buddies and of course we played Flight of Icarus.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #277 on: June 06, 2017, 07:51:18 AM »
The production is so cool on it. Especially the vocals and the bass. You can really follow Steve through every song. The guy is a machine.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #278 on: June 06, 2017, 07:54:41 AM »
Some of you probably know it already, but the entire album was covered by the "Hand of Doom orchestra":

https://play.spotify.com/album/070711TFefYDrolFSeTVcQ?play=true&utm_source=open.spotify.com&utm_medium=open

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #279 on: June 06, 2017, 08:17:51 AM »
I almost got into Maiden with this album.  Almost.  This was the time when I was just starting to get into rock/metal, and there was a kid I knew who hung out at the local arcade where I spent a lot of my time that talked up this album quite a bit and basically said it was the greatest thing ever.  I remember being in record stores a few times after that and almost buying it, even though I hadn't heard it.  Sadly, I didn't.  But since really discovering Maiden a few years back, it has become one of my favorites.  Really good album.  In some ways, I wish DT would have covered this one instead of Beast. 

Oh, and I like Quest for Fire just fine.  Come at me.  :bringiton: