Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 183452 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Number Of the Beast (1982)
« Reply #175 on: May 29, 2017, 08:35:41 AM »
I respect everyone's opinions on this, but I really wish I could properly convey how game changing this album was. If you think they built on it, then fine, I can accept that, but no album they did after TNOTB amazed me like this one did. Everything seemed so original and fresh, and suddenly had every other metal band looking up at them.

No denying this. All you have to do is look at other albums released that year.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #176 on: May 29, 2017, 04:11:02 PM »
So, I'm going to drop this right here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86URGgqONvA

It's the official video to Run To The Hills. It's been ages since I watched it. Man what a great video, and it really appealed to this 13 y/o. This band looked cooler, played better, but never felt intimidating. Funny, but even then, Dave , Steve, Adrian, and especially Clive just looked like a decent bunch of kids. That really appealed to me. And Clive...so joyous. He owned this video.

This was played in heavy rotation in the spring of 1982 on MTV. I grew up in the boonies, lived on a dirt road, and could see the ocean from my house. We didn't get cable TV until late 1985. It may have even been early 1986. But my grandmother lived in the city, and I used to spend the weekends there to watch the MTV Saturday Night Concert. I lived for the once every other hour that Run To The Hills was played.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline stargazer18

« Reply #177 on: May 29, 2017, 05:20:15 PM »
Great write up by OP and great discussion. It’s been like a trip down memory lane listening to all of these albums after having been away from them for a long time. Iron Maiden was MY band for the second half of the 1980’s.

I first heard Run to the Hills on a compilation album of various artists released in 1984 called Masters of Metal. This compilation album was one of my favorite albums from this time period and introduced me to some really great music though, ironically, very little of it could be considered “Metal.” I Liked Run to the Hills though I did not Love it. Like TAC states, I think MTV played a large part in helping this song / video gain as much popularity as it did here in the US.

Not long after I got into the band Live After Death was released. Seeing 5 of the 8 songs on the track listing showed just how prominent this album was to the band and, in fact, there were more songs from Number than either Piece of Mind or Powerslave!

Invaders starts the album off in similar fashion as the previous album in that it’s a fast paced rocker with an interesting lead and rhythm guitar segue into the first verse.  The chorus isn’t my favorite but it’s just catchy enough to keep my interest.  What the vocal melodies lack, the guitars try to make up for and it sounds pretty cool.

I’ve always considered Children of the Damned one of my favorites from this album. Bruce’s vocals are fantastic and being the second song into the album really introduces fans to the difference between Di’Anno and him. This song to me really highlights the ability of Harris to mix and layer the heavy guitars over quieter portions of a song. It ends with an awesome guitar solo and some sing along vocals from Bruce.

The Prisoner was one of the three songs on this album that was NOT included on Live After Death and was a pleasant surprise to me when I first heard it. I was expecting a second tier song but instead its’s another classic. I find the chorus catchy and the guitar work fantastic but the intro was what got my attention. Before this track (and the title track) the only song I had heard with some kind of non-music introduction was Crusader by Saxon. (Crusader is an excellent song WITH an excellent introduction by the way) After an excerpt from a popular British television series Clive enters in with a simple though phenomenally large sounding drum beat. Once all three guitars enter Clive plays off their leads with some cool sounding fills for brief period before the song takes off. Awesome.

22 Acacia Avenue finishes side one of the album. This song needed to grow on me a bit but I really like it now.

By the end of side one you could clearly hear another step forward in the song writing complexity IMO.

Side two kicks off with the title track and what a smoking tune it is! I’ll admit that I was fooled into thinking the introduction was spoken by Vincent Price. If you still weren’t sure about Di’Anno’s replacement, Dickinson’s scream at the beginning this song will eliminate any doubts you have about his abilities.

As I state above, I Like Run to the Hills but I don’t Love it. It’s a song that I listen to in the context of the album and it flows very well but on its own I don’t really listen to it. There are better singles to follow on the next albums.

I lump Gangland into the second tier category on the album. It’s listenable but not very memorable. My favorite part of the song is the dual guitar melody / harmony section in the middle.

Total Eclipse is included on my 1998 reissue and I like this song a lot. It definitely would have made a better song than Gangland but, as they say, hind sight is 20/20.

It’s with this album that Maiden introduce the epic album closer. Hallowed Be Thy Name ends side two with one of the best song’s (some people say THE BEST) of their catalog. For me it’s in their top 10 for sure. For those listening in “Real Time” I can only imagine what it was like after hearing an album of some of their best material ever – ending with such an impressive track.

The album cover was certainly an eye opener and one of their best. I remember the Spencer Gifts store at the local mall had a black light poster of this cover that looked ominous to say the least. I wasn’t allowed to have it….

Ranking

Top Tier
Children of the Damned
The Prisoner
22 Acacia Avenue
The Number of the Beast
Total Eclipse
Hallowed Be Thy Name

Second Tier
Invaders
Run to the Hills
Gangland

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #178 on: May 29, 2017, 07:55:12 PM »
As a kid who grew up with parents who only listened to country and western, you can imagine the impact of this album. My first exposure to Maiden was this on a copied cassette with half of Piece of Mind also added, given to me by a high school friend. That's how we did it back then folks! I'd heard some hard rock previously, but this was next-level stuff. I didn't like PoM as much at first but it ended up surpassing TNoTB for me.

Hallowed
Prisoner
Acacia
Eclipse
Number
Invaders
Hills
Children

Gangland

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #179 on: May 29, 2017, 10:12:41 PM »
I first heard Run to the Hills on a compilation album of various artists released in 1984 called Masters of Metal. This compilation album was one of my favorite albums from this time period and introduced me to some really great music though, ironically, very little of it could be considered “Metal.”
I bet more than half the people in this thread had that tape. Braking the Chains, Rainbow in the Dark, Who's Behind the Door, maybe something from Vandenberg.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline stargazer18

« Reply #180 on: May 30, 2017, 03:55:51 AM »
I first heard Run to the Hills on a compilation album of various artists released in 1984 called Masters of Metal. This compilation album was one of my favorite albums from this time period and introduced me to some really great music though, ironically, very little of it could be considered “Metal.”
I bet more than half the people in this thread had that tape. Braking the Chains, Rainbow in the Dark, Who's Behind the Door, maybe something from Vandenberg.

The actual track listing is:

Black Sabbath    Trashed    
Y & T       Mean Streak    
Dokken            Breaking The Chains    
Zebra        Who's Behind The Door?    
Dio                Rainbow In The Dark    
Krokus       Screaming In The Night    
Kiss               Lick It Up    
Rainbow            Street Of Dreams    
Iron Maiden    Run To The Hills    
Rush       Tom Sawyer    
Triumph             A World Of Fantasy    
Twisted Sister    You Can't Stop Rock 'N' Roll    
Van Halen    Dancing In The Street

I built my CD collection with CD’s from a number of artists above to include most of Sabbath from Born Again to the beginning, Some Rainbow including a greatest hits, Dokken’s  greatest hits, Dio from Dream Evil to Holy Diver, ALL of Iron Maiden, ALMOST all of RUSH,  Triumph’s greatest hits, Van Halen’s greatest hits and a few later CD’s.

There were a ton of these types of albums at the time but this was the one that I always came back to. Both the Y&T and Twisted Sister songs listed are pretty good too but I never ventured beyond what was included on this album from either of the two bands.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #181 on: May 30, 2017, 05:30:17 AM »
I actually remember that album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #182 on: May 30, 2017, 07:28:26 AM »
I don't dislike Gangland, but when I heard Total Eclipse for the first time (I wasn't aware of the 1998 version until much later) it seemed baffling that it wasn't included on the album. Where Gangland is easily the weakest song, Total Eclipse fits the album better and I would say it's stronger than at least half of the other songs.

Are you implying that the version put on the album in '98 is different in some way than the original b-side?  I didn't think they were (other than remastering).    I can check for myself, but I wanted to know what you meant.   "Total Eclipse" for me is a Top Ten Maiden song all time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: May 30, 2017, 07:49:06 AM »
I respect everyone's opinions on this, but I really wish I could properly convey how game changing this album was. If you think they built on it, then fine, I can accept that, but no album they did after TNOTB amazed me like this one did. Everything seemed so original and fresh, and suddenly had every other metal band looking up at them.
AND
It's the official video to Run To The Hills. It's been ages since I watched it. Man what a great video, and it really appealed to this 13 y/o. This band looked cooler, played better, but never felt intimidating. Funny, but even then, Dave , Steve, Adrian, and especially Clive just looked like a decent bunch of kids. That really appealed to me. And Clive...so joyous. He owned this video.

Other than his take on "Total Eclipse" (haha!) I think TAC has this spot on.   You have to remember, there was no internet then, and word of mouth traveled slowly.  There was MTV, but metal bands didn't get played on that much (and if they did, it was an afterthought, late at night).   Maiden at this point was an OPENING BAND, and with one other exception - Def Leppard - I can't remember a band in the typical "45 minute opening slot before an hour and 45 minute headliner" format that arguably had the same or greater buzz than the headliner.   There were easily as many Maiden shirts in the crowd as there were Priest, and that's no knock on Priest (they were riding their biggest album up to that point - and possibly since - with Screaming For Vengeance). 

For all the "satan" stuff - which was geographic - there was no "shtick" with Maiden when you saw them.  It was all iconography (the artwork), not them.    Yeah, they had some of the trappings of "metal" (Bruce's leather studded armbands for one) but they weren't that different from you and I, and if you look back, in metal only AC/DC had that sort of appeal.    DLR was a god.  Kiss looked like freaks.   Priest was all in black leather...  Maiden was meat and potatoes. 

And here's the other thing:  it doesn't surprise me at all that we're having this conversation; the jump from Killers to NOTB was massive, but the other bands that had "hit albums" at that point didn't make that jump.  Other than "singer", what was really that different between "Highway To Hell" and "Back In Black"?   What was the real difference between British Steel/Point of Entry/Screaming?  What was the real different between Difficult to Cure/Straight Between The Eyes?  Blizzard/Diary?   I think that was part of the charm and part of the intangible; you felt like this was "different".  You felt like this was "special". 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #184 on: May 30, 2017, 08:00:22 AM »
If I have to pick a definitive Iron Maiden album, it's Number of the Beast.  So many of these songs have become hits or are classics.  I wish they'd break out 22 Acacia Avenue more often, but at least they've given Run to the Hills a rest every once in a while. 

Hallowed Be Thy Name is the ultimate Maiden song and should be in every set.  They've taken it out here and there and that drives me nuts.  I love when they end the night with it.  The album used to be my favorite/go-to record for a long time until I started getting older and enjoying one or two other classic albums more than NOTB. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: May 30, 2017, 08:06:37 AM »
And here's the other thing:  it doesn't surprise me at all that we're having this conversation; the jump from Killers to NOTB was massive, but the other bands that had "hit albums" at that point didn't make that jump.  Other than "singer", what was really that different between "Highway To Hell" and "Back In Black"?   What was the real difference between British Steel/Point of Entry/Screaming?  What was the real different between Difficult to Cure/Straight Between The Eyes?  Blizzard/Diary?   I think that was part of the charm and part of the intangible; you felt like this was "different".  You felt like this was "special".

You could argue Def Leppard made this same leap at the same time as IM, with High'n'Dry to Pyromania. 

I can't really relate to the discussion of this time period though, still a sperm, but a first IM memory for me that relates to TNotB.... it was the first CD of theirs I purchased, but sort of by luck.  My college roommate and I were digging a greatest hits IM album so we said lets go out to Best Buy and buy an actual album.  They only had two, The Number of the Beast with it's iconic hit songs we knew and Fear of the Dark which the title track live from RiR was featured on the greatest hits album I had.  So we weren't sure which one to get (I had no idea FotD was otherwise a not so good album).  Well my friend put both albums behind his back and I picked a random arm and we left with The Number of the Beast.  We sometimes joke about what would have happened if we got Fear of the Dark instead. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #186 on: May 30, 2017, 08:24:32 AM »

I actually think there was a huge jump from Highway To hell to Back In Black. BiB had a huge production and the songwriting is probably their best ever. I think you can compare HTH to For Those About To Rock, or Flick Of The Switch, but Back In Black really stands on its own.

There was MTV, but metal bands didn't get played on that much (and if they did, it was an afterthought, late at night).   

MTV did not play a lot of metal in 1982. The only videos I really remember were Maiden, Priest, and AC/DC. But those were played fairly regularly. Plus the High n Dry era Def Leppard "live" videos.
Back in those early days they also played a band called Vendetta that was also pretty cool.

You could argue Def Leppard made this same leap at the same time as IM, with High'n'Dry to Pyromania.   

A huge leap. Style, production... And then they blew up on MTV.

Well my friend put both albums behind his back and I picked a random arm and we left with The Number of the Beast.  We sometimes joke about what would have happened if we got Fear of the Dark instead. 
:lol

That's funny. Always go for the early classic!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #187 on: May 30, 2017, 08:37:05 AM »
Thanks Stadler for the additional perspective on that time!

Hallowed Be Thy Name is the ultimate Maiden song and should be in every set.  They've taken it out here and there and that drives me nuts.  I love when they end the night with it.

As far as I know, they never ever took it away from the set for 30 years, it was shelved only for the Maiden England tour(s). And for this current second leg of the Book of Souls tour and only because of a legal dispute.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #188 on: May 30, 2017, 08:57:22 AM »
So, I'm going to drop this right here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86URGgqONvA

Really?  I'm actually kinda surprised to hear that the video had that kind of impact on you, since I was coming to the thread this morning specifically for the purpose of giving props to the album and planning on posting something along the lines of, "no thanks to that silly, atrocious video for Run To the Hills."  :lol  And kind of a shame too, because although it is a pretty good song, I have always had a difficult time enjoying it because I can't get the video out of my head every time I hear it.  One of my problems with Maiden was that I never knew whether or not I was supposed to be taking them seriously after a video like this.  But, hey, if it made you and others fans, who am I to argue?

The other point I wanted to address was the comment in the initial writeup about the punk influence disappearing on this album.  I guess this has probably been addressed adequately by others, but I just wanted to chime in to say that I disagree.  I mean, they definitely changed their sound, and the punk influence wasn't nearly as in your face as on prior albums.  But it is definitely still there and shows itself on a number of songs.  It did get somewhat "swallowed up" by a lot of other things they would have going on in their music that they chose to focus on more, but I don't think it's fair to say that the punk influence vanished.  To my ears, it just took a bit of a back seat.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mosh

« Reply #189 on: May 30, 2017, 09:06:58 AM »

I don't dislike Gangland, but when I heard Total Eclipse for the first time (I wasn't aware of the 1998 version until much later) it seemed baffling that it wasn't included on the album. Where Gangland is easily the weakest song, Total Eclipse fits the album better and I would say it's stronger than at least half of the other songs.

Are you implying that the version put on the album in '98 is different in some way than the original b-side?  I didn't think they were (other than remastering).    I can check for myself, but I wanted to know what you meant.   "Total Eclipse" for me is a Top Ten Maiden song all time.
Nah, sorry that wasn't clear. Total Eclipse is the same on the b-side, but I was referring to the 98 version of the album that included Total Eclipse. My experience with the album was the original capitol CD (which is still the best sounding version of the album IMO).

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #190 on: May 30, 2017, 09:27:10 AM »
Really?  I'm actually kinda surprised to hear that the video had that kind of impact on you, since I was coming to the thread this morning specifically for the purpose of giving props to the album and planning on posting something along the lines of, "no thanks to that silly, atrocious video for Run To the Hills."  :lol  And kind of a shame too, because although it is a pretty good song, I have always had a difficult time enjoying it because I can't get the video out of my head every time I hear it.  One of my problems with Maiden was that I never knew whether or not I was supposed to be taking them seriously after a video like this.  But, hey, if it made you and others fans, who am I to argue?

The other point I wanted to address was the comment in the initial writeup about the punk influence disappearing on this album.  I guess this has probably been addressed adequately by others, but I just wanted to chime in to say that I disagree.  I mean, they definitely changed their sound, and the punk influence wasn't nearly as in your face as on prior albums.  But it is definitely still there and shows itself on a number of songs.  It did get somewhat "swallowed up" by a lot of other things they would have going on in their music that they chose to focus on more, but I don't think it's fair to say that the punk influence vanished.  To my ears, it just took a bit of a back seat.

Well, I was 13 at the time. I knew right away that I preferred my music videos performance based, as in on a stage with their gear, rather than playing on a beach or something. So it had that. They looked cool. So it had that. And as far as the b&w silly footage, that never bothered me. It told me that there was also a fun-ness about the band. It didn't over arch the music or the band's image.

As far as the punk influence, it's there, but just a bit. It does jump in the back seat, and never really returns.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #191 on: May 30, 2017, 09:30:56 AM »

Well, I was 13 at the time. I knew right away that I preferred my music videos performance based, as in on a stage with their gear, rather than playing on a beach or something. So it had that. They looked cool. So it had that. And as far as the b&w silly footage, that never bothered me. It told me that there was also a fun-ness about the band. It didn't over arch the music or the band's image.

I get it.  As to the performance part of it, it is well done.  It's just that the other footage seems so very much off for me.  Hard to say why it gets in the way, since I am definitely not "above" bands doing that sort of thing.  Maybe it's just because (1) the song is about such a serious topic, and (2) the band itself portrayed an image that was so different than what that material would imply, that it just seems so very out of place and takes me out of the moment.  I can't really explain it any better than that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #192 on: May 30, 2017, 09:40:42 AM »
I always thought IM's music videos were pretty crappy.  Granted, that's from watching most 20 years after the fact.  I don't think they made a music video I truly enjoyed until Speed of Light. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #193 on: May 30, 2017, 10:16:24 AM »
They don't have that many great videos. That's never been their forte, for some reason.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #194 on: May 30, 2017, 10:50:46 AM »
Just wanted to add that Dream Theater's cover of Gangland is one of my favorite covers of all time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: May 30, 2017, 11:02:40 AM »
I actually think there was a huge jump from Highway To hell to Back In Black. BiB had a huge production and the songwriting is probably their best ever. I think you can compare HTH to For Those About To Rock, or Flick Of The Switch, but Back In Black really stands on its own.

This is the only part I would quibble with, and not that strenuously, because how do you argue that an album that sold 30 million copies is "the same as what came before", right?   But I mean to say, it's not like HTH and BiB are like The Lamb and Trick of the Tail, or Love Gun and Dynasty.   I can ABSOLUTELY picture Brian singing the SHIT out of "Night Prowler" or "Shot Down In Flames".   

MTV did not play a lot of metal in 1982. The only videos I really remember were Maiden, Priest, and AC/DC. But those were played fairly regularly. Plus the High n Dry era Def Leppard "live" videos.
Back in those early days they also played a band called Vendetta that was also pretty cool.

And Vandenberg!   Don't forget Vandenberg!  (though they weren't really metal). 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #196 on: May 30, 2017, 11:06:37 AM »
And Vandenberg!   Don't forget Vandenberg! 

Can't we please?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #197 on: May 30, 2017, 11:15:29 AM »

I forgot about this album.  Oh the memories.

TNOTB was my gateway to IM.  A neighbor had the album and after listening to it a few times rushed out to buy it.  Then I went back into the first 2 albums.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: May 30, 2017, 11:19:44 AM »
Just wanted to add that Dream Theater's cover of Gangland is one of my favorite covers of all time.

I wouldn't go that far, but I do think it's fantastic.  It's easily one of IM's worse songs to my ears, but DT made it good.  I actually enjoy listening to DT's version of it.  I remember before I listened, thinking to myself, "IM don't play this song, but DT is actually going to play it??" and well I was surprised to find out that they also probably didn't care for the original that much.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #199 on: May 30, 2017, 11:28:23 AM »

Other than Invaders, and maybe Gangland in a small way, I don't really hear it. However, my perspective on the album might be skewed because in my mind that album is a shift in what constituted metal, and when I hear it I just think METAL!!!
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #200 on: May 30, 2017, 11:50:48 AM »
... are like The Lamb and Trick of the Tail,

What and what??

:corn

;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #201 on: May 30, 2017, 01:33:08 PM »
And of course the very stupid "satanic" controversy, I could see people going nuts over the song Black Sabbath, but labeling Maiden satanists for a song that talks about someone being SCARED of a satanic ritual and a line that goes "this can't go on, I must inform the law"?

Okay, I agree with the general point that those who labeled Maiden as satanists back in the day were mistaken.  But that lyric doesn't prove anything.  The lyrics are the song are pretty ambiguous, and there are plenty of lines in it that could easily lead one who doesn't know the band's position on what is about to conclude that it is telling a story that attempts to glorify evil.  You have to remember that, when the album came out, the population as a whole didn't have access to tons of interviews by the band explaining the song, or the history of the band and what they have said about it, etc.  That wasn't the age of the Internet where we now have 30 years or so of history at our fingertips to access whenever we want.  And the band played up to the controversy and embraced the imagery that came with it.  You can't really look back and fairly call the reaction to that album unreasonable. 

But anyway, as far as the album itself, it is pretty strong and consistent.  There are definitely things I enjoy a lot on it and things I enjoy less.  But it is a solid effort all around.  The four-album run of Beast through Somewhere in Time is incredibly strong.  (And, yeah, I know many will want to include Seventh Son in that run as well.  But I don't like that album at all, so I'm not including it.  Too bad.)  Even though one could argue that the reunion era produced a run of albums that is just as strong, this run really set the standard.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #202 on: May 30, 2017, 02:00:42 PM »
Well, people have internet today with mankind's knowledge a click of a mouse away, and still they believe the dumbest stuff anyway  :lol and I don't think anyone who this day considers Maiden satanists (just for hearsay), will be convinced by the clip of the Early Days DVD interviews (I'm sure it's on YouTube) where Steve Harris flat out denies they are satanists when asked point blank. But yeah, I see you point about how back in the day it was way more difficult to spread the word around and get hold of the true position of the band.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #203 on: May 30, 2017, 02:04:46 PM »
And of course the very stupid "satanic" controversy, I could see people going nuts over the song Black Sabbath, but labeling Maiden satanists for a song that talks about someone being SCARED of a satanic ritual and a line that goes "this can't go on, I must inform the law"?

Okay, I agree with the general point that those who labeled Maiden as satanists back in the day were mistaken.  But that lyric doesn't prove anything.  The lyrics are the song are pretty ambiguous, and there are plenty of lines in it that could easily lead one who doesn't know the band's position on what is about to conclude that it is telling a story that attempts to glorify evil.  You have to remember that, when the album came out, the population as a whole didn't have access to tons of interviews by the band explaining the song, or the history of the band and what they have said about it, etc.  That wasn't the age of the Internet where we now have 30 years or so of history at our fingertips to access whenever we want.  And the band played up to the controversy and embraced the imagery that came with it.  You can't really look back and fairly call the reaction to that album unreasonable. 
Just to throw out a different perspective, I was both a Maiden fan and an inmate at a non-denominational Christian school around that time. I can assure you that the lyrics didn't really factor into it in those cases. Certainly if you're talking about Venom, or WASP singing about God knows what, then they'd be cited as an example, but as a rule the problem was with rock music in general. The Bible thumpers would look for excuses after the fact, rarely venturing beyond assumptions based on song titles. If presented with a completely innocuous song they'll fall back upon the tired excuse that if it doesn't glorify God then it's evil. When presented with Christian rock music they go even further back and blame the rhythmic nature of rock music for making us want to *shudders* FORNICATE!
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #204 on: May 30, 2017, 03:56:37 PM »
Always loved the Nicko filled in for Clive for two weeks of the US tour story. It's Maiden's version of "Paul is dead."

Reading through the thread about it at Maidenfans, Nicko talks about being on retainer from Maiden for almost the entire US run. But apparently there has never been any proof of him actually playing a show.

“In the middle of 1982 I had just finished a tour of France with Trust, after which I was actually let go from that band. They didn’t pay me for the work that I finished. Nothing new there. I was sitting at home, and I got this phone call from [Maiden manager] Rod Smallwood. Clive wasn’t doing so well and they asked if I’d consider joining the band. I remember that I was on the phone with Rod for close to an hour, asking him what was going on with Clive. He was explaining things to me and I was defending Clive. Finally, Rod turned round and said, ‘Do you f**king want this gig or not?’ Of course I did, but I didn’t want it under shady conditions. I was then put on a retainer, because they were gonna have a word with Clive. Clive shaped up and got himself back into the band, so I was told that I wasn’t required, and they paid me a month’s severance. A couple of weeks later I got another call because Clive had taken a nosedive again, and I was put back on a retainer. This happened all the way until June of 1982, when they finished their Number Of The Beast tour. That same situation happened three times. It was the third time when things didn’t work out for Clive."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #205 on: May 30, 2017, 04:46:48 PM »
That's awesome.  I had no idea.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #206 on: May 30, 2017, 04:53:48 PM »
interesting story

Offline Mosh

« Reply #207 on: May 30, 2017, 05:55:07 PM »
Yea, next installment will have a bit more on Clive, as it's the official story has changed over the years. Here's a video of Maiden doing a TV performance with Nicko on drums filling in for Clive (notice the Eddie mask): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ThVmRzSAak

Re the music videos: I'm with Bosk on RTTH. One of my least favorite Maiden vids and it always irritated me that it was the only Maiden vid they ever played on the VH1 Metal program. Still, it must've made an impression in the US. I think Maiden have some good vids though. NOTB is a cool video, I like all the monster movie clips. I like the studio footage in Flight Of Icarus (you don't get that stuff often with Maiden), Can I Play With Madness is cool, Holy Smoke is fun, and the clips in Wasted Years are awesome. The videos were really bad during the reunion era IMO. Speed of Light is awesome and Ben Breeg is cool, but all the other videos are filled with cheap animation and seem like afterthoughts. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #208 on: May 30, 2017, 07:04:57 PM »
I didn't realize I'd be in the minority on some of these things. Just wait till we get to Powerslave! ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: May 30, 2017, 07:54:29 PM »
I didn't realize I'd be in the minority on some of these things. Just wait till we get to Powerslave! ;D

If we are talking video clips and Powerslave, that's where my story begins!!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.