Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 183471 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Killers (1981)
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2017, 05:05:52 PM »
Wrathchild
Killers
Iron Maiden
Twilight
Phantom

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2017, 05:50:10 PM »
Killer is the best Iron Maiden album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2017, 05:53:45 PM »
Killer is the best Alice Cooper album.

Killers is a great Iron Maiden album.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2017, 06:14:29 PM »

Haven't heard that one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2017, 06:22:52 PM »
Wratchild! :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #75 on: May 21, 2017, 08:18:18 PM »
I'm getting ahead of myself (and perhaps Mosh will tell us this anyway) but if you believe the scuttlebutt, where else have we heard the Maiden Japan version of "Remember Tomorrow"?
Are you referring to the b-side where they overdubbed Bruce? Not sure if I ever compared the two but I think it would be fairly easy to figure out if that's true or not.

Edit: Yea pretty sure they're the same.

BOOM, this is it.  Originally it was claimed that the b-side to Number of the Beast was recorded on a five-date mini tour of Italy (six if you count a one-off at the Rainbow in London as well) but if you A/B it, it's exactly the same, and you can even hear Di'Anno yell "Thank you!" at the end. 

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2017, 10:15:51 PM »

Nah, I prefer School's Out.  ;D

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2017, 11:08:26 PM »

Nah, I prefer School's Out.  ;D

Billion Dollar Babies is the ultimate AC album, in my opinion. TAC is just inflating something again...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: May 22, 2017, 05:39:56 AM »
Pumped this album in the car like I said I would.  I remember why I never really rated it that highly either.  It could be my least fav Maiden album.  Saying that, it's was still a really great listen and takes me back to my early discovery days of Maiden.

Killers and Purgatory are still two of the coolest Maiden songs.  Purgatory especially is underrated, that's a stellar tune.  Prodigal Son is also something very different and the solo section is incredible, possibly my fav part of the whole album.  Khan is a fun somewhat complex instrumental number which is most welcome too. 

Drifter was one that I never got the love for, and still don't.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #79 on: May 22, 2017, 06:36:52 AM »

I think it's just a high-energy fun song. Definitely not their best writing, but easy to get pumped up listening to it. Probably a good song in a live setting.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: May 22, 2017, 04:11:53 PM »

I think it's just a high-energy fun song. Definitely not their best writing, but easy to get pumped up listening to it. Probably a good song in a live setting.

That's what I always put it down to.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2017, 04:27:19 PM »

That's what I always put it down to.

That was the old set closer for a while, not Iron Maiden.  They would do a singalong of sorts (a version with Di'Anno is on... Live +One if memory serves).  When I saw them in '82 on the Beast On The Road tour, this was the setlist:
1. Murders in the Rue Morgue
2. Wrathchild
3. Run to the Hills
4. Children of the Damned
5. The Number of the Beast
6. 22 Acacia Avenue
7. Hallowed Be Thy Name
8. Iron Maiden
9. Drifter

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: May 22, 2017, 04:38:07 PM »
That's a great set.  Love how Run to the Hills is third in too.  Obviously cause it was a new song, but I wish they did this sort of thing more.  Like how TNOB was the second song on the Fear of the Dark tour, great stuff.  I know Wrathchild is that song most of the time but other classics would be cool.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2017, 07:57:44 PM »
To me Drifter is just easy on the ears. It has a certain "party style" feel that is unique in Maiden's catalog. I just think it totally jams. I have always loved it.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2017, 02:01:03 AM »
I love the beginning of Drifter, the intro sounds quite dark and sinister, especially the very first couple of notes. But then, it turns into a rather ordinary boogie song. It's still good, though.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2017, 10:03:59 AM »
I think there was a thread about dark albums closing with a more uplifting track, Killers is a great example of that. I think it works really well because Drifter is still a heavy track and isn't too musically jarring compared to the rest of the album. Killers is one of the band's darkest and grittiest albums, so I like the contrast in Drifter. It punctuates the album quite nicely. It's also just a great track on its own, slightly goofy lyrics aside.

Also worth mentioning that it was one of the live highlights in the early 80s, before Running Free on LAD changed everything. Not sure how it was left off both Live At the Rainbow and Maiden Japan. Although a live recording was on the b-side to Sanctuary.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2017, 10:17:36 AM »
This thread is responsible for me taking Killers off the shelf and giving it another chance.  I popped it into the car CD player the other day with a new appreciation after reading some of the commentary in this thread.  As the album started off, I began to feel differently about it than I had in the past.  As it picked up, I found myself saying, "Yeah, you know, this isn't half bad.  In fact, I'm kind of liking this.  Yeah, this is actually pretty good.  Yes, YES--this might just start to click.  In fact, I--eh, never mind.  I'm getting bored again.  <eject>"  :lol  Hey, at least I tried.  :dunno: 

*Waits for discussion on the Bruce albums*
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline stargazer18

« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2017, 10:52:48 AM »
I love the beginning of Drifter, the intro sounds quite dark and sinister, especially the very first couple of notes. But then, it turns into a rather ordinary boogie song. It's still good, though.

"Boogie" is the best word I've seen used to describe the Drifter style. Somewhat unique for Maiden for sure.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2017, 04:47:39 PM »
Prodigal Son would rank quite high on my Maiden 100.  That solo section is spectacular, some incredibly tasteful playing in there from H and Davey.

Will echo the disappreciation for Drifter.  I could never get into that.  Killers is a really good album all in all - Ides of March into Wrathchild is a classic 1-2 punch to the throat.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2017, 06:40:46 PM »
Prodigal Son would rank quite high on my Maiden 100.  That solo section is spectacular, some incredibly tasteful playing in there from H and Davey.

Will echo the disappreciation for Drifter.  I could never get into that.  Killers is a really good album all in all - Ides of March into Wrathchild is a classic 1-2 punch to the throat.
One of my favorite Maiden moments.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2017, 12:58:50 AM »
Count me in!  :metal

Killers was a soundtrack through my highschool years. The debut is classic. I also loved the 'softer' side of Maiden, Remember Tomorrow, New Strange World, Prodiag Sons.
But the energy this band put out was unmatched at the time. Can't believe it took me until last year to finally see them live!  :tup to the thread starter!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Mladen

« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2017, 01:32:29 AM »
Speaking of Drifter, it actually might work as a concert closer. If Running free and Sanctuary had their run as last encore songs, Drifter could do it as well. It's not a great song by any means, but it might get the crowd moving with its beat and it is rather uplifting.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2017, 03:19:29 AM »
'Wanna squeeze ya when you hold me tight,
I wanna cuddle up to you tonight'

Yeah, very Metal!  ;D
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2017, 05:28:03 AM »

One of my favorite Maiden moments.

Agree.  They have never done anything that has had the sound or atmosphere quite like.  It's a very original section for Maiden.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2017, 07:08:09 AM »
Speaking of Drifter, it actually might work as a concert closer. If Running free and Sanctuary had their run as last encore songs, Drifter could do it as well. It's not a great song by any means, but it might get the crowd moving with its beat and it is rather uplifting.

I think it works better than Wasted Years

Offline Mosh

« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2017, 10:18:05 AM »
Wasted Years was such a refreshing set closer. Really great choice. Sanctuary is a little anticlimactic IMO. Running Free works fine but I've gotten tired of it. Drifter would work just for being unexpected, but I wonder how much of the audience even remembers that tune.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2017, 10:23:38 AM »
Drifter was played during the encore in 2005.  Wasted Years was a more of an unexpected closer than Drifter would be imo, but I do believe Wasted Years is probably more known than Drifter.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2017, 11:16:48 AM »
I mean more that them even playing Drifter is unexpected. It made sense for The Early Days tour, but I wouldn't expect them to bring it back again.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2017, 11:20:38 AM »
I think Wasted years is the best possible closer. Ever.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2017, 11:36:33 AM »
I used to love Wasted Years (I still do like it) but feel its been over played in the reunion era so I personally would rather not see it at all, but I certainly didn't care for it as a closer last year.  Maybe this summer I'll find a renewed love for it.

I personally think HBTN is the best closer, but if thats not an option to play, I'm cool with Run to the Hills being the end.  At least here in the US where they go nuts for that song.  I'm cool with saving it for the end like most bands do with their big hit. 

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2017, 12:25:30 PM »
'Wanna squeeze ya when you hold me tight,
I wanna cuddle up to you tonight'

Yeah, very Metal!  ;D

Hey, metalheads can be warm and fuzzy just like anyone else. They're just more prone to putting spiked wristbands on their teddy-bears than the average person.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2017, 06:36:54 PM »
I think Wasted years is the best possible closer. Ever.

Same, I thought it was fucking magic when I saw them last year.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2017, 03:11:11 AM »
I really hope some day they could play Empire of the Clouds.... doubtful but can always hope

Offline Mosh

« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2017, 09:16:53 AM »
Getting a bit ahead of ourselves here but that's OK. I think Empire will be played at some point, whether it's by Maiden or Bruce solo. It'll be for a special even though, like a performance with an orchestra.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2017, 09:40:15 AM »
So, um...not to rush anyone or anything...and not to sound like I don't appreciate the effort that goes into these posts, but...next album sometime soon?  :)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."