Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 184611 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Fear Of the Dark (1992)
« Reply #910 on: July 30, 2017, 08:53:17 PM »
Blaze was great with Wolfsbane before joining MAiden as well. He was just an ill fit. Again, we´ll get to that when Mosh addresses Bruce leaving and Blaze joining, but why did they do a "global search", receiving tapes from everywhere, and decided to go for such a weird choice, is still beyond me. Judas was equally criticized when Rob Halford left, but at least Tim could sing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #911 on: July 30, 2017, 09:00:50 PM »
I cannot sing.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #912 on: July 30, 2017, 09:06:10 PM »
Blaze was great with Wolfsbane before joining MAiden as well. He was just an ill fit. Again, we´ll get to that when Mosh addresses Bruce leaving and Blaze joining, but why did they do a "global search", receiving tapes from everywhere, and decided to go for such a weird choice, is still beyond me. Judas was equally criticized when Rob Halford left, but at least Tim could sing the older material by his band

FTFY

Blaze could sing, as other people can attest to.   He just doesn't have the same range as Bruce and was never suited for Maiden for that reason.   He was NEVER going to be able to do Bruce's material justice.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #913 on: July 30, 2017, 09:08:10 PM »
Exactly, jammindude. Thank you for fixing/expanding my post. Why chosing a guy who couldn´t do the previous material justice, if they had the intention of continuing to play those songs? My opinion - not based in any fact whatsoever: Blaze was a manager´s choice.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #914 on: July 30, 2017, 09:28:23 PM »
Getting back onto Fear because I'm sure there'll be plenty of talk regarding Blaze in the next couple of albums which I'll certainly jump in on, but I listened to Fear again this morning and it still sits in my top 5 Maiden.

I have never really had an issue with Bruce's vocals on this or No Prayer, nor have I really given it much thought to be honest.  Perhaps for me, everything this guy touches turns to gold but I have no issues with his voice here.

On another note, I have put the 1990-2010 best of (can't remember what it's called) in the car today for something different and this is a really really odd compilation.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #915 on: July 30, 2017, 10:38:19 PM »
To be honest I really never liked Fear Of The Dark so much. Of course, it has got some classics like Afraid To Shoot Strangers, Wasting Love or title track which has been played everywhere so many times that I'm almost puking when I hear it  ::) My favourite 3 Maiden albums are Somewhere In Time, Powerslave and Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, and Fear Of The Dark isn't in my top 5 Maiden records...

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #916 on: July 31, 2017, 12:42:01 AM »
FOTD is the Bruce Maiden album I never listen to anymore. I was 16/17 at college when it came out and it was on constantly in my car at home. It was the new Maiden! It had to be great! But I slowly realised, as it failed to grow like all the others, it really wasn't.

I love Judas My Guide. Be Quick Or Be Dead could be awesome but the miserable flat production and mix kills it. (The drums sound nice though.) Wasting Love is an out of place cracker and the title track is nearly great but kind of naff, in my opinion. Still, an amazing riff. ATSS is ok.

It's the sound of a band losing its identity and shooting wide of the mark to me. And I think that's mainly just bad luck. Bruce just doesn't sound good trying to be "rock". And neither do Maiden. They have SUCH an identifiable, unique sound that other styles just don't fit in. They have a kind of crusty, stiff-but-loose, folky English vibe that is actually weird as fuck. For a band this influential and imitated, none have ever managed to touch it, and it's hard to say why. The parts where they're more typically Maiden also are low on here (The Assassin).

So yeah. Great artwork. But a bad one for me.  :lol
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #917 on: July 31, 2017, 08:14:03 AM »
So yeah. Great artwork.

I've always liked the Fear of the Dark art - I like when Eddie transforms a little bit, and isn't just a character with a new outfit (oh, let's put him in a military uniform with a rifle this time....), or is in a new situation. 

The Riggs version seems really disjointed.  It's hard to tell what Eddie's up to.  Whereas the official art to me is much more creepy. I've been out late at night in the dark and always wonder what could be lurking in the shadows - it really captures the album title, rather than Riggs' version of a bad dream.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #918 on: July 31, 2017, 08:18:27 AM »
Stadler, you don't get a Deep Purple vibe from Fear Is The Key?

Funny you say that; I just edited my post.  I read that reference (I forgot it was you that said it!) and as I listened to the album again last night I forgot what song you meant and I IMMEDIATELY thought "Yeah, he's right; "Be Quick or Be Dead" DOES sound like Purple!". 

There are a couple of nods on there to DP, which isn't bad, and isn't to be a surprise, since Gers played with Gillan, Dickinson's favorite album is "In Rock" (or one of them) and they wrote, almost two albums of material (for TM, the b-sides, and a couple songs that found their way to FOTD). 

All good with me, since Purple is one of my favorite bands EVER (I even like Slaves and Masters).   

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #919 on: July 31, 2017, 08:32:05 AM »
I saw Janice with Gillan. I was a bit disappointed as I alwAys liked Bernie Torme and was expecting to see him.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #920 on: July 31, 2017, 09:31:23 AM »
Thanks for another great write-up, Mosh!

I have to admit, I am not as familiar with No Prayer and FotD as I should be. I know the latter's title track, as it is played regularly. But I'm going back and re-discovering these albums. I enjoy FotD quite a bit. It's a continuation of that stylistic shift for sure, at least vocally, but given the time period, I don't find it surprising. Air Raid sirens were falling out of favor. I mean, look what Anthrax did by switching to John Bush.

Anyway, I enjoy FotD quite a bit, but there are many other Maiden records I reach for before I get to it, and that's saying something.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #921 on: July 31, 2017, 04:01:56 PM »
Having another listen now, and bloody hell, how did I never notice the total Deep Purpleness of Fear Is The Key? Even the soloing is in Blackmore country. Bruce is doing Gillan, the riff is Perfect Strangers-esque.

The whole album is a lot better than I remember and I don't think I gave this album a fair go at the time, or since. Apart from The Apparition, that's shit.

And I'd never noticed that Riggs didn't do the cover, because its Maiden and he just did.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 04:08:35 PM by Lowdz »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #922 on: July 31, 2017, 04:09:30 PM »
So I'm going to drop out of sight for a few days, so I asked Mosh if I could jump his Fear Of The Dark Tour post.

So during the Seventh Son Tour Post, Mosh mentioned the L'Amour's show. My college roommate and I made a pact that if they ever played a club like that again, we must be there.
Well, when we found out they were going to do a pre tour show at The Ritz, it was a slam dunk.

It was an awesome day for many reasons that I won't bore any of you with, but I remember getting to the Ritz early to get a good spot. Once we went in, we got right down to the stage. Of course this meant that we had to stand there for some local no name band.
But once Maiden hit the stage, I was in absolute awe. Seeing them in that venue, that close, I mean, I had been very close in previous arena tours, but this was a club. They blew me away.

I do have pictures, unfortunately not many. When the film was developed, they ruined a good portion of it. You can see the effects on one of these pics with Bruce and Steve. Plus, I got a lot of unfocused pics just due to how it was down there.

Also, if you've seen the boot of this show, you can see my flash going off right down near Dave's side.

Oh..and that no name opening band?

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #923 on: July 31, 2017, 04:10:22 PM »
Having another listen now, and bloody hell, how did I never notice the total Deep Purpleness of Fear Is The Key? Even the soloing is in Blackmore country. Bruce is doing Gillan, the riff is Perfect Strangers-esque.

That's what I'm here for, brother! :)

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #924 on: July 31, 2017, 04:13:22 PM »
Tim, is it the picture where Steve is turned green that you're talking about? It almost looks like the effect of stage lighting.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #925 on: July 31, 2017, 04:16:21 PM »
Tim, is it the picture where Steve is turned green that you're talking about? It almost looks like the effect of stage lighting.

The green is due to the lighting, but you can see the wrinkle of the film right through Steve.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #926 on: July 31, 2017, 04:32:38 PM »

The green is due to the lighting, but you can see the wrinkle of the film right through Steve.

Yeah, I notice that now. Very odd. If you still have the pictures and would like to have them fixed I can give it a shot. I used to work for a company fixing photos with Adobe etc... PM me
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #927 on: July 31, 2017, 04:43:42 PM »
Thank you. Those are pretty much the only decent pics I have of the show. Lots were unfocused and I cut off a few heads..

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #928 on: July 31, 2017, 06:52:06 PM »
So this was the infamous DT and IM show, so cool.  Sucks most of the pics didn't come out, but you got a couple and the memory of a sick show. 

I'm not sure I have much to add to the FotD discussion.  I'm not crazy about the album.  I like it better than NPftD but that's not saying a whole lot.  There's a few really solid songs here that can hold their own to IM's other material, but there's also a handful of some of the worst songs in IM"s catalog.  (I'm talking FotD, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Be Quick of Be Dead vs. The Apparition, Chains of Misery, Fear is the Key).  The rest is mostly average material and not strong enough to make this album come anywhere close to my top 5.  I'd actually put it 3rd from the bottom.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: No Prayer On the Road (1990 - 91)
« Reply #929 on: August 03, 2017, 02:25:12 AM »

When it came time to select the artwork for Fear Of the Dark, they had more options than what Riggs presented. Consequently, Riggs’ design was rejected in favor of artwork submitted by Melvyn Grant... Riggs was clearly less interested in doing work for Maiden, so it only made sense to let other artists try their hand at the character.

Riggs had been under contract to produce the artwork for Maiden - this is somewhat unusual in the music business. His contract expired after NPFTD, no great conspiracy. Both the band and Riggs wanted to explore different options. The artists they've used since have all been on a freelance basis - the usual music biz way. Riggs has very publicly stated he didn't think the band were paying him enough given the contribution his artwork made to their image.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #930 on: August 03, 2017, 11:48:14 AM »
Great shot of the sign above the venue, TAC. I've been around for years and this is the first time I noticed it says TheaTR.  :lol

No photos of that opening band?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #931 on: August 03, 2017, 12:31:15 PM »
I didn't take any. I was so afraid of getting busted with my camera. It was all about Iron Maiden. But I will say that it took less than 30 seconds of DT before my jaw was on the floor. They blew me away.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #932 on: August 03, 2017, 12:36:54 PM »
I imagine 1992 DT upstaging 1992 Maiden big time, similar to Maiden opening for Priest and Kiss in the early 80s.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #933 on: August 03, 2017, 12:40:19 PM »
I didn't take any. I was so afraid of getting busted with my camera. It was all about Iron Maiden. But I will say that it took less than 30 seconds of DT before my jaw was on the floor. They blew me away.

Man, I would have loved to have seen this (the show, not your jaw). Sure, Maiden was in a bit of a downward, but they still were incredible. And DT, on Images.  :hefdaddy

Man. That would be like me seeing Queensryche on the Mindcrime tour as a headliner with Fates Warning in tow on the Perfect Symmetry tour, or No Exit. Man.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #934 on: August 03, 2017, 01:15:08 PM »
I imagine 1992 DT upstaging 1992 Maiden big time, similar to Maiden opening for Priest and Kiss in the early 80s.

Well except that nobody upstages Iron Maiden. Pretty sure Dream Theater did not make a bigger impression than they did on me, but I never have once even considered that they upstaged Maiden. This was a great Maiden show. The boot has long been around. They were great.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #935 on: August 03, 2017, 04:03:12 PM »

Well except that nobody upstages Iron Maiden. Pretty sure Dream Theater did not make a bigger impression than they did on me, but I never have once even considered that they upstaged Maiden. This was a great Maiden show. The boot has long been around. They were great.
Very true. I'm not even really dissing Maiden, but DT were a young hungry band then and had a lot of onstage energy. And of course they also had the songs. I'll look for the boot this weekend but I'm assuming they played most of I&W?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Mosh

« Reply #936 on: August 03, 2017, 04:06:22 PM »
I've been pretty busy this past week and with school starting it's not going to get easier, but I still want to keep regular updates going. I'm going to try and work ahead in the next few days. Ive also decided I will split the next tour into two entries. Technically they're two different tours anyway, though the stage and set list were similar. There are also (technically) four releases associated with the next two tours, so it'll give everyone time to check it all out. After that we'll talk about Balls to Picasso before coming back to Maiden for The X Factor.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #937 on: August 04, 2017, 01:57:54 AM »
Mosh, the DT boot is called Maiden Voyage.
Set list:
PMU
UAGM
Met Pt1
AFIL
LTL

I've been pretty busy this past week and with school starting it's not going to get easier, but I still want to keep regular updates going. I'm going to try and work ahead in the next few days. Ive also decided I will split the next tour into two entries. Technically they're two different tours anyway, though the stage and set list were similar. There are also (technically) four releases associated with the next two tours, so it'll give everyone time to check it all out. After that we'll talk about Balls to Picasso before coming back to Maiden for The X Factor.

Balls To Picasso is Part 1 of my Bruce epiphany.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #938 on: August 04, 2017, 04:22:45 AM »
It's a shame the conversation has dried up a little over the last two albums but then that tells its own story, I suppose.

Taking of stories: I became a Maiden fan a few months after the release of Fear of the Dark. Actually, it might have been in the August/September before the release. I remember the circumstances well enough, just not the exact time. It's confused in my mind because I originally left home to attend university in September 1991 but quit the course and returned to start a new one a year later. But I remember receiving virtually the entire back catalogue from a chap I'd attended primary school (between the ages of 5-11/12 here, depending where you live) with and only stayed in occasional contact with in the intervening years. David. David Winter, that was his name.

I was a relative latecomer to metal at around the age of 15. And music itself, actually, finally becoming interested in very late 1986. In 1987, I attended my first concert: Madonna at Wembley Stadium, followed by Michael Jackson, same venue, a year later. Several months before seeing Michael Jackson, I'd got into Richard Marx (stop smirking!) and he acted as my gateway, really, into music with a rockier edge. Not long after discovering Richard Marx (although it seemed an eternity later at the time), I remember queuing outside the room for double physics when Nicholas Russell (who had a really cool sounding dressed-in-black big brother who worked in music in London) was stood there brandishing the vinyl of Poison's Open Up and Say ...ahh! (stop smirking!). My attitude towards any type of metal at the time was one that I imagine you'll recognise: it was all screaming and no melody.

"Okay, if it's so good, lend it to me!", I demanded.

He did. And two sides of vinyl later, my world had changed. I couldn't believe how melodic the music was and how it much I felt like it spoke to me (hey, you know what it's like being a bag of testosterone at that age!).

I digress a little.

So there I was getting into metal but, to me, Iron Maiden was this goofy looking band with an ugly lead singer who had these awful faux-operatic tones. Seventh Son had not long since been released meaning Can I Play with Madness and The Evil That Men Do had been riding high in the charts, and videos had been shown on Top of the Pops (old British music show that everyone used to watch on a Thursday night at 7:30). Both songs and both videos were awful to me.

Anyway: back to David Winter a couple of years later (although, again, it really surprises me it was only a couple of years. Strange how slow time is when you're growing up and experiencing so many things for the first time, isn't it?), shortly before leaving for university. I don't recall how we got in contact again but I think it must have been when I popped into one of my favourite haunts at the time, a record shop called Record House, and, much to my surprise, David was behind the counter. We must have exchanged contact details because shortly after he got in touch (this was in the days before mobiles, of course).

"So, uh... I can get you CDs cheap, if you like!"
"Oh, wow. Okay! What, anything at all?"
"Yeah! Just let me know what you want."
"Erm... well, maybe I should try some Iron Maiden!"
"Okay, I'll get you them all eventually, might take a few weeks."

And he did. I worked through the entire back catalogue in just a few weeks. Much to my amazement, I found myself liking the music, particularly the earlier albums. And that ugly singer really wasn't so ugly after all. And he could sing! I remember being really surprised at The Phantom of the Opera. Its intro had been used as the soundtrack to a Lucozade (sports drink/ill people drink, can't remember if it's available outside the UK, horrible stuff) advert in the early 80s (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBetudbtRto) but, like many I suppose, I never knew the origin or significance of the piece. So when I heard it on an album for the first time, my mind was blown.

I never looked back after that.

David probably did, though. A year or two later, I heard he'd been imprisoned for theft while working at Record House :blush

Thinking about it again, Fear of the Dark must have been the first Iron Maiden album I bought myself, and it must have been around the time of release. I recall enjoying it then, and I still enjoy it now. In fact, despite having retained a keen interest in Iron Maiden since the early 90s, and having been a frequent poster in the Iron Maiden newsgroup (newsgroup... haha! That'll puzzle younger members here!) back in the day, it's come as a bit of a surprise that so many people don't really like the album. Further it's really surprised me just how unpopular Weekend Warrior and The Apparition are! I always thought they were quite different for Maiden and all the better for it. I guess being British, with football hooliganism being as big a deal as it was in the 80s, I never found the lyrics for Weekend Warrior to be anything other than perfectly reasonable unlike just about everyone else. And The Apparition? Well, I liked its odd feel and structure.

Well, that post took longer than I imagined it would. Just ended up thinking about days gone by, nice memories, and tapping out a train of thought. But hey, hopefully that Lucozade advert will be new to some of you ;D
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 04:29:43 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #939 on: August 04, 2017, 04:48:14 AM »
Tried to post about No Prayer, but it got lost somewhere. I liked the opener, Tailgunner and Holy Smoke, after that it took a serious nosedive for me, liked Runs silent, run deep well enough and Public Enemy no I. Hated Bring your daughter...etc. And I quite liked the artwork.

Fear is a different story as I loved the artwork very much and it was the first studio double from them. Liked most of the tracks, but some tracks just seemed forgettable to me (Wasted Love, Weekend Warrior) loved the titletrack and the much mentioned Judas, be my guide. After this album though....I lost Maiden out of sight for a couple years, let's just say.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Mosh

« Reply #940 on: August 04, 2017, 09:52:59 PM »
Fear Of the Dark Tour (1992)

In early ‘92, Maiden were approached to headline the Donington Monsters of Rock festival for the second time. A historic moment, as the only other band to headline twice was AC/DC. Since they had to work their schedule around the festival again, the tour started in the US. However, true to the tradition of the last few years, they put on a few small gigs before officially starting the tour. The first show was in the UK under the name of Nodding Donkeys (after the b-side: Nodding Donkey Blues). They then visited Iceland for the very first time en route to New York for the Ritz performance that TAC has already given his account on. The Fear Of the Dark tour was one of the band’s most adventurous and there’s actually a ton to talk about here. I’m probably not going to get to update this again until Wednesday at the earliest, so I recommend everyone take their time going through all the releases and YouTube clips discussed.

The Stage
Similar to Fear Of the Dark’s concept of maintaining the raw sound established on No Prayer while subtly reintroducing elements of the band’s more progressive side, Maiden put a little bit more into the stage production for the tour. The backdrop of artwork drapes and the row of Marshall amps remained, but stage decorations were added to match the creepy nighttime vibe of the album artwork. Some shows featured a bat-winged Eddie at the top of the rafters. There were also the usual two appearances of Eddie, once as a walk on and the second time as a massive head with two hands behind the drum riser. The elaborate floor design also returned keeping with the night time theme. It wasn’t the spectacle of the band’s 80s tours, but it was a still less bare-bones than the previous tour. Additionally, there was a more elaborate lighting rig this time around.

The Setlist
The Fear Of the Dark tour was probably the first time a Maiden show didn’t really have an obvious focus on a single album. Only five out of the twelve songs from Fear of the Dark were performed. Powerslave and Somewhere In Time were the last albums to only have five songs performed on the tour, but the songs were longer on those albums and were centerpieces of the shows. The Fear of the Dark songs were shorter and didn’t really seem to be the focus of this show. There was no gauntlet of new songs like on the No Prayer tour. Instead, they were spread out and mixed with the “classics”. Personally, I think a lot of that has to do with them starting the tour in the US. The album wasn’t very successful there so it made sense for them to not put as much emphasis on it as they normally would. When it was time to take the production to Europe, they were probably so comfortable with it that it didn’t seem necessary to add new songs.

It was also a predictable selection of songs: the three singles (including the album opener) and the two Harris epics. Overall, this tour seemed like the first time an album was getting the shaft. Still, it wasn’t necessarily a setlist dedicated to the band’s “Golden Years”. There were two songs from No Prayer performed, Tailgunner and Bring Your Daughter To the Slaughter were included the beef up the 90’s representation.

The Seventh Son of a Seventh Son album also made a return after being completely disregarded on the previous tour. Three songs from the album were performed: The Clairvoyant, The Evil That Men Do, and Can I Play With Madness. These three songs would go on to be the “staples” from the album.

The rest of the setlist featured the usual suspects. By this time the band had definitely settled on a “typical” Maiden setlist. While the previous tours would often trade out songs from various albums (for example, Die With Your Boots On instead of The Trooper in 1988), less adventurous setlist choices were being made as it became clear what the live favorites were. This is not necessarily a bad thing though. The last tour had a narrow focus, featuring No Prayer and Number of the Beast in particular. The setlist for Fear Of the Dark, on the other hand, is much more balanced and you really get a taste of every album. From that view, it’s a good retrospective of the band’s career up until this point, the way the World Slavery Tour was 7 years earlier.

The Tour
The tour proper began in Canada with Corrosion of Conformity and Testament as the opening acts. The tour was very short, lasting just a little over a month. It was their shortest run in the US as a headline act. This wasn’t an overnight shift, Maiden were seeing a decline in the US since Seventh Son as the American public moved on to other styles of music. As a result, the tours continued to get shorter. The band also just wasn’t touring as heavily as in the 80’s.

Where Maiden weren’t getting the same reaction in the US that they were used to, their popularity in other areas continued to grow. The band’s next stop was their first tour in South America. They had visited before for the legendary Rock In Rio 1985, but had never toured there. They were greeted by huge crowds and some of their biggest performances ever. Fortunately, the South American tour was captured on video with a TV broadcast of their Argentina performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJkNETPUSlg

Next it was time to return to Europe for Monsters of Rock. There were a few warm up shows and then it was time for Donington. Their return to Donington was triumphant and in some ways better than in 1988. The rest of the lineup wasn’t quite as strong, mainly featuring Skid Row, Slayer, and WASP. Still, Maiden put on a great performance and were clearly energized by the warm welcome from their home country as well as being fresh off a successful South American run.

The highlight of the show was undoubtedly the return of Adrian Smith, who joined them for Running Free. At the time it was a nice reunion and great to see them still on good terms, but looking back of course it’s also a historic moment as it’s the first performance of the current three guitar lineup of Maiden. A foreshadowing moment.

The performance was broadcast on radio and TV and immortalized with a live VHS and CD release, which I will discuss further later on. However, unlike the 1988 Monsters of Rock, Donington was not the only location where Maiden were broadcast. Their appearance at the Italian Monsters of Rock a few weeks later was also broadcast. This was a much stronger lineup, featuring Black Sabbath, Pantera, and Megadeth among others. The broadcast, which is only missing the opener, is a nice alternate look at the band’s European run. This show was also the source of Heaven Can Wait on A Real Live One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bxI0I75190

Following the European tour, Maiden conquered new territory again with their first visit to Central America. Like South America, the band were greeted to a largely untapped market and discovered a huge fanbase there. There’s yet another TV broadcast for this tour, this time in Mexico City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsd1zeJTIFo

Maiden wrapped up their Fear Of the Dark tour with some short runs in Australia and Japan. This marked the first time the band visited Japan two tours in a row. On the other hand, this was their first time in Australia since 1985.

Spanning 4 continents and several never-before-visited countries, the Fear of the Dark tour ended up being the band’s most extensive tour so far. They bucked their usual touring schedule for the first time and explored new markets. While their popularity in America may have been waning, it was hard to be worried for the band’s future after such a successful tour everywhere else in the world.

You may be wondering about the UK tour. For the first time in the band’s 13 year touring history, there was no UK tour. This was the beginning of a series of controversial decisions by Maiden to favor the festival circuit over a full UK tour. The band would tour the UK again, but these tours would be less frequent and with only a few shows in the future.

Official Releases
One reason I want to split this tour and the accompanying releases is to give some context on how they were released. They probably seem mostly redundant to a lot of fans, but there are some key differences. A Real Live One was the first live release from the Fear Of the Dark tour and also the first officially released live album since Live After Death. There was Maiden England, but the CD version wasn’t released until 1994 as a limited bundle with the VHS. Live At Donington was almost an afterthought, not being released until the end of 1993 and with not much emphasis put on the CD. So with that in mind, a single CD live album focusing entirely on material from 1986 and later was actually quite smart.

So with that out of the way, we move on to:
A Real Live One (1993)

This is the result of Steve Harris compiling what he felt to be the highlights of the Fear of the Dark tour. Instead of selecting one show, Steve combined various recordings from throughout the European tour. He also focused exclusively on material from the latest four albums, so fans were treated to the first officially released recordings of songs from No Prayer and Fear Of the Dark, as well as some selections from Heaven Can Wait and Seventh Son, of particular interest due to the presence of Janick Gers. As previously mentioned, Maiden England wasn’t yet available on CD, so none of these songs had appeared on a live album yet. They were also soundboard recordings, so it’s a much more raw sounding album, more akin to b-sides than Live After Death. It may not be polished, but it does capture the band’s energy and there is more crowd presence.

The raw sound was pretty off putting to a lot of fans and it’s questionable whether Steve truly picked the best performances. I have a soft spot for this (along with A Real Dead One) personally and I actually reach for it quite a bit when I’m in the mood for 90s Maiden. I like that it’s not polished and that it just captures the band in their normal touring mode, as opposed to a special performance like five nights at Long Beach. It also has a nice track list. Since it’s a compilation of various performances and focused on a particular era, Steve was able to mess with the sequencing a bit. The typical setlist tropes aren’t there and you’re not getting the 80s staples, so it’s a fairly unpredictable listen. Overall, it’s a nice way to punctuate the last two tours.

Live At Donington (Recorded 1992, Released 1993)

(Original limited CD cover)

(1998 Remastered cover)

The band decided to make their second stop at Donington the official video for this tour. A CD was given a limited release with a plain white cover (meant to resemble a bootleg), but it wasn’t given a wide release until the entire catalog was remastered in 1998. So, at the time, Live At Donington was meant to be the visual document of this tour and A Real Live/Dead One was meant to be the audio document. Where A Real Live One is a compilation of various performances, Live At Donington gives a better look at what a show on this tour was actually like, in terms of the order and flow of the setlist. It also gave a look at the band’s new stage show and the larger than life crowd at Donington.

The video was once again directed by Steve Harris and is probably the first example of his seizure-inducing editing style. Not only is it filled with quick edits, but it also annoyingly switches between color and black and white. Honestly, I haven’t watched it more than once or twice, the edits make it completely unwatchable for me. It is also the last Maiden video that has not yet been released on DVD. It’s not certain as of yet when the DVD will be released, but, given their usual pattern of archival releases, it’s reasonable to expect it very soon. Hopefully it’ll be reedited to at least be fully in color. Because there is no official DVD release of this, I recommend sticking to the CD, which is still in print and on spotify, and for videos check out one of the TV broadcasts from this tour. Obviously the audio video quality won’t be as good, but it’s still better than what we got with the Live At Donington video.

Next week: A Real Live Tour, featuring A Real Dead One, Raising Hell, and the departure of Bruce Dickinson.

Offline Mladen

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Fear Of the Dark Tour (1992)
« Reply #941 on: August 05, 2017, 03:11:51 AM »
Interesting. I never realizedA Real live one and A Real dead one weren't released at the same time. Great write up all around.  :tup

I once saw the plain white version of Live at Donnington in a local store but resisted buying it. I'm not sure how rare it is, honestly.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #942 on: August 05, 2017, 05:02:20 AM »
Another awesome read! I have a few things to add:

1) they played Die With Your Boots On ONCE during that tour, on the show in Argentina;

2) The stage floor had roots from the FOTD tree.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: August 05, 2017, 06:23:55 AM »
I once saw the plain white version of Live at Donnington in a local store but resisted buying it. I'm not sure how rare it is, honestly.

It's not particularly rare (on CD). You can pick up a copy for around £15.

Vinyl is a different matter, though. Probably looking at a couple of hundred pounds.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #944 on: August 05, 2017, 07:35:37 AM »
As usual, an interesting read!  :tup

I agree that for the first time ever, the tour seemed more like a "greatest hits" tour, even though as usual the latest album still had more songs than the rest. At least they did the unprecedented move of sticking The Number of the Beast right at the second song, all in all they never had, before or after, this attitude or throwing a fan favorite classic right at the beginning.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!