Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 185432 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Fear Of the Dark (1992)
« Reply #875 on: July 29, 2017, 12:24:55 AM »
I actually always liked "The apparition" myself.

Yes! It's refreshingly different for Maiden. Nice, interesting feel to it.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #876 on: July 29, 2017, 12:30:27 AM »
I also love Childhood's End. I've seen that one panned as well. I don't get it. Nicko's toms take my breath away every time. Love the solo section in that song too.

I enjoy Childhood's End. But there's a very recognisable beat - not really a musician so I don't know the proper term - during the verses that's been repeated time and time again on Maiden albums since Fear of the Dark, reaching its most oft-repeated on A Matter of Life and Death (and it's one of the reasons I've never really got along with that album, unlike 99% of the fan base. Lovely double vinyl picture disc, though, which I finally just got around to acquiring!).
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #877 on: July 29, 2017, 04:51:29 AM »
I'll go down the Captain Obvious path to say that that Derek Riggs artwork was far from his best... I'm glad they chose Melvyn Grant's idea.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #878 on: July 29, 2017, 05:03:43 AM »
This album has always been my least favorite of all. I appreciate them trying to take the band in different places, but the places they're going to have long been abandoned and rarely returned to. Wasting love sounds like music glam rock bands gave up on years before it came out, and most of the shorter, rockier tunes are rather average - there are dozens of bands that did this style more justice back in the eighties. The places they went to in the late eighties and late nineties are far more exciting and fresh.

I was also never thrilled about the lyrical direction. As far as I'm concerned, Maiden is great when addressing philosophical topics, being inspired by literature, history and war. Lyrics like Weekend warrior and Childhood's end aren't what I'm in for when listening to Maiden. I might as well read the newspaper. Childhood's end is probably their worst song in my book - the chorus is as uninspired as it gets, and lets not mention their laziest song ending ever.

I enjoy some of the truly inovative or classic Maiden tunes like Afraid to shoot strangers, Fear of the dark and even Fear is the key, though. On a good day, I can actally rock out to From here to eternity as well.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #879 on: July 29, 2017, 05:47:09 AM »
Not the biggest fan of this album but I don't think it sucks either. With so many songs divisive among the fanbase, it feels like they were trying to write more and more stuff to achieve that ultimate greatness that was still lacking aside from the obvious standouts. Like a photographer not being able to take few but very good pics, and therefore taking as many as possible so that in the middle of it all and in the great quantity, there may be something decent.

After Painkiller and Where Eagles Dare, Be Quick or Be Dead has my favorite drum intro. A pity I never heard it live, I saw it however performed by a Maiden cover band that had Dennis Stratton as guest. They were already on stage finalizing the soundcheck, and the singer said "Ok guys, we are ready, are you ready as well? ok? let's go!!!", with the drum intro immediately starting... badass!

The Apparition may be the definitive answer to the question "Can good lyrics save a song alone?"... well, they don't. Out of the songs not played live, Judas Be My Guide would be my favorite, but I always liked Chains of Misery, it has a nice groove and chorus. The Fugitive and Childood's End are also quite good, Weekend Warrior is kinda whacky and I don't find anything wrong with Fear is the Key.

More generally, I could either see reasons why fans would say that this or that song suck, just as I could find something good enough in those songs to somehow appreciate them and not consider them utter garbage.

About the artwork: if there had been any drama about it, I wasn't there to live it. Looking back I consider it a fine cover, and certainly superior to the Riggs one - never saw that one, great find Mosh!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #880 on: July 29, 2017, 06:09:18 AM »
I heard it again this morning on my 8km run, and it has aged well, except for Nicko's snare sound. The Apparition and Weekend Warrior still suck though. I agree that "social commentary" is probably best to be left out of Maiden's lyrics. I really enjoyed listening to The Fugitive, Chains of Misery and Judas My Guide again. The Apparition needed some trimming, lyric and musically wise. Weekend Warrior is an example of them trying to broaden the lyric spectrum, but choosing a theme that's 100% UK related, so what's the point? And I bet that Wasting Love is an attempt to capture some of Guns n Rose's audience - remember that they had just risen to fame during that time.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #881 on: July 29, 2017, 11:51:22 AM »
Lots to respond to here already.

First off, I'll start this off with Fear's two major problems. First, as with No Prayer, what the hell happened to Bruce's voice? Not sure if he wasn't taking care of himself, vocally at the time or what, but these two albums were steps back, especially this one.
Yea, I like the vocals enough on No Prayer but he just sounds awful on this album. It's one area where I do suspect that he wasn't totally into it because it sounds like he's not even really trying on some songs. Then again, the first couple solo albums after Maiden also sound this way, so I think it's more that he was trying something different. The strange thing is he sounds great on the No Prayer tour and parts of the Fear tour. He sings in a more operatic style and is much more consistent than much of the 80s. I don't really understand why he didn't just sing the songs that way on the album.

One slight correction I should make to Mosh´s post is that Maiden´s fandom in South America started a few years before that, when they played their first Rock in Rio, to an estimated audience of 250 thousand people, sandwiched between Whitesnake and Queen. That´s right, during the height of their popularity in the World Slavery Tour, Maiden OPENED for Queen!!!
Of course. Still, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, my impression is that they really flourished in South America during the 90s when the rest of the world was moving away from them. They were touring there for the first time and playing to their biggest crowds.

I also love Childhood's End. I've seen that one panned as well. I don't get it. Nicko's toms take my breath away every time. Love the solo section in that song too.

I enjoy Childhood's End. But there's a very recognisable beat - not really a musician so I don't know the proper term - during the verses that's been repeated time and time again on Maiden albums since Fear of the Dark, reaching its most oft-repeated on A Matter of Life and Death (and it's one of the reasons I've never really got along with that album, unlike 99% of the fan base. Lovely double vinyl picture disc, though, which I finally just got around to acquiring!).
I call it the 3+3+2 rhythm and it has popped up in a few 80s Maiden songs but it really became a regular thing starting on Fear of the Dark. I'm not a huge fan of it either, especially on Fear.

About the artwork: if there had been any drama about it, I wasn't there to live it. Looking back I consider it a fine cover, and certainly superior to the Riggs one - never saw that one, great find Mosh!
I'm not sure if there was drama, but to this day there is a segment of the fanbase who think Riggs needs to be brought back. Yea Maiden's had some missteps with their artwork since the 80s, but bringing Riggs back isn't going to solve anything. Most of his recent Eddie paintings just aren't very good. I will say not using his Futureal artwork was a huge misstep though. His artwork for Flight 666 was also awesome, I suspect they didn't want to pay him for it and that's why it wasn't the cover.

Also, I wouldn't count out Be Quick Or Be Dead being played live again. I could see it being brought back whenever Live At Donington comes out on DVD. They won't do a full tour for it, but it'd be a good song to bring back.

And I bet that Wasting Love is an attempt to capture some of Guns n Rose's audience - remember that they had just risen to fame during that time.
There are a few blatant attempts at appealing to America on this album, Wasting Love being one of them. Steve Harris was very frank about being disappointed in Seventh Son's lack of success in the US.

Fear Of the Dark is by far my least favorite Maiden album. It's the only one I actively dislike. I try to find something to appreciate every time I put it on, but there isn't much on there. I'll quickly give my positives and negatives:

Positives:
Afraid to Shoot Strangers. AWESOME song. The best thing to come out of both albums with this lineup. To me it's proof that much of these two albums is contrived. Steve still had the epic side in him, but for some reason he was holding himself back. One reason the Blaze albums are far superior is that Steve didn't hold back on writing what he wants. You get some of that on Fear too, but it's mixed with songs that are less genuine.

Judas Be My Guide. As I said before, the hidden gem of the album. Love the riffing and it has a fantastic chorus. I'll never understand how this didn't make it on the setlist.

Janick Gers is easily the MVP on this album. He contributes a ton (some good, some bad) and his playing is great. You can tell he has the drive to prove himself as a member of Maiden. I like Wasting Love. Yea it's a blatant attempt at something commercial but if it's a good song I don't care. It's pretty much what I'd expect from a Maiden power ballad, and that's not a bad thing.

As for the negatives:
I already mentioned Bruce's voice.

I'm surprised nobody is talking about the production. It's easily the worst sounding Birch album and probably top 3 worst produced Maiden albums. It's just so thin and lifeless. I do have to vouch for the new vinyl reissue of the album though. It sounds great, songs like Childhood's End and Fugitive have a lot more needed punch. If you want a reevaluation of the album, I suggest giving it a shot. The vinyl reissues are sourced from the 2015 itunes remasters, so maybe the itunes Fear Of the Dark is equally good.

Sorry TAC, but I hate Childhood's End. One of the worst songs. I hate that pummeling beat and the chorus. One of their worst songs.

I'm also actually not a big fan of Be Quick Or Be Dead either. The riff is kinda meh and Bruce sounds annoying.

I don't dislike or like The Apparition. It's a weird track but not horrible.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #882 on: July 29, 2017, 12:20:46 PM »
One more thing on Childhood's End: as soon as I heard that "plumbing" beat I thought of Maiden's cover of King of Twilight, which came out as a B side of Aces High (or was it Two Minutes to Midnight?).

Offline stargazer18

« Reply #883 on: July 29, 2017, 02:54:05 PM »
Can’t offer much to discuss with this release other than my own take which is similar to many posting here.  Like TAC, I was impressed with Be Quick or Be Dead and was expecting something a little bit harder for this album. After the first couple of listens I thought it was a little bit better than No Prayer if only because there were a few stand out tracks as opposed to No Prayer’s tracks which seemed all second tier to me. Fear of the Dark was the first Maiden album to contain third tier, or skippable tracks in my book.

Top Tier:
Be Quick or Be Dead
Afraid to Shoot Strangers
Fear of the Dark
Judas Be My Guide

Second Tier:
From Here to Eternity
Fear Is the Key
Childhood's End
Wasting Love
The Fugitive
Chains of Misery

Third Tier:
The Apparition
Weekend Warrior

To be honest this disc is never the one I reach for when I want to hear some early Maiden.

Thankfully, the best Maiden album of the 90’s was yet to come.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #884 on: July 29, 2017, 03:15:49 PM »
I realized today that Live at Donnington is the only Maiden album I never bought. Then I went to check it out on Google Play, and the setlist really put me off. All songs are already on A Real Live One + A Real Dead One, except for Wratchchild, which has been on countless other live releases. The only other "novelty" on this release is Adrian Smith´s presence in Running Free. But let´s be honest, it´s not really a track where he´s able to display much in terms of ability. So I guess I´ll look into buying it once more 20 years from now... :smiley:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #885 on: July 29, 2017, 04:19:36 PM »
Fear of the Dark was the first Maiden album to contain third tier, or skippable tracks in my book.

Most of their albums still have skippable tracks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline stargazer18

« Reply #886 on: July 29, 2017, 05:35:28 PM »
Fear of the Dark was the first Maiden album to contain third tier, or skippable tracks in my book.

At the time, given their discography up to then, I rarely skipped ANYTHING from them. Now it's different and I do skip a lot, even when listening to classic era stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #887 on: July 29, 2017, 05:46:54 PM »
Lots to respond to here already.

That is probably due to how awesome this album is!  ;D

Mosh, I don't have any issue with the production. Sounds like it rocks.

Sorry TAC, but I hate Childhood's End. One of the worst songs. I hate that pummeling beat and the chorus. One of their worst songs.

This does not even compute. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #888 on: July 29, 2017, 06:16:10 PM »

At the time, given their discography up to then, I rarely skipped ANYTHING from them. Now it's different and I do skip a lot, even when listening to classic era stuff.

Same here. Every time I listen to certain albums from 1994 onwards I find tracks that I didn't even remember they existed.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #889 on: July 29, 2017, 06:31:59 PM »
Fear could use some trimming for sure. But to me, the core tracks on this album are pretty good. I have never gotten sick of listening to this album.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #890 on: July 29, 2017, 10:17:51 PM »
Here we go!

In 1991 or 92, I discovered metal via Metallica and listened to a tape of the black album and nothing else for a year, maybe two.  A friend had a Megadeth cd, and when I eventually got a CD player in 1993, I started getting the first 5 Metallica albums, Countdown to Extinction, and Def Leppard's Adrenalize.  At this time, I also started riding my bike to the library in town and discovered that they LENT OUT TAPES AND CDS!  My mind was blown - I was just getting into metal music, I was 13, maybe 14 and I could go get free tapes and cd's and copy them onto tape.  I couldn't get a job until I was 15, so this was my only way to check out new music.  So I start perusing the cd's and heavy metal tape section.  I experiment with Testament, Queensryche (Promised Land...completely forgot that I tried this album on tape way before I ever got into them) and I find a copy of Iron Maiden's Fear of the Dark on tape.

This album was my introduction to Maiden.  I was only into a few thrash bands and some radio rock, so I had no clue about melody, or melodic singing.  I had no idea who Bruce Dickinson was.  But I loved the immediacy and heaviness of Be Quick or Be Dead, From Here to Eternity, The Fugitive, Judas Be My Guide and the title track.  I actually remember copying about 6-8 songs onto a tape.  Several years later, I picked up Best of the Beast and my love of Maiden went from a handful of song on a mix tape to full-blown fan, devouring the discography over the following years.

About 10 years ago, I discovered more of the deeper cuts on this album.  I absolutely love Childhood's End.  Those guitars are so bad ass in the verses, and then the instrumental run at 2:14 is fucking awesome.  Old school Maiden harmony type riffs lead into the solo.  Fear is the Key is pretty good.  Sure, this album has some clunkers, but I will always love it as the random tape that I found in the library and allowed me to discover the band.  I'm glad that the title track has remained a constant in their set - it's such a great live song.  I get goosebumps hearing the crowd sing the melodies.

PS:  They need to play Judas Be My Guide someday before they hang it up.  That song is so amazing. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #891 on: July 30, 2017, 05:46:00 AM »
It's late and I'm off to bed so I'm not going to go into my thoughts on this album until tomorrow so I don't rush what I'm thinking, but FOTD I'd say is probably a top 5 Maiden album for me.  I'll give my thoughts tomorrow.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #892 on: July 30, 2017, 06:41:23 AM »
Here we go!.......

Grap, enjoyed the read. Love those kinds of stories. Nothing can ever replace being a 13 y/o discovering metal!

It's late and I'm off to bed so I'm not going to go into my thoughts on this album until tomorrow so I don't rush what I'm thinking, but FOTD I'd say is probably a top 5 Maiden album for me.  I'll give my thoughts tomorrow.

That's awesome! I wouldn't go Top 5, but it's a great album that catches far too much grief.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #893 on: July 30, 2017, 09:56:41 AM »
I'm jumping the gun a bit, but I listened to A Real Live/Dead One during my run this morning, and boy, was there a dip in energy....it shows on Bruce's voice that a change was needed. And to think that those versions were hand picked by Harris to represent the best performances of that time...

Offline Mosh

« Reply #894 on: July 30, 2017, 10:08:55 AM »
We will definitely discuss the tour and all live releases related to it next.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #895 on: July 30, 2017, 10:19:52 AM »
Having not bothered to buy the previous album after falling out of love with Maiden over the previous couple of albums, I actually bought this one. It's ok, nothing more than that. Some very good songs dragged down by somewhat by some average ones which makes me less likely to play the album.
I played it the other day and enjoyed it.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #896 on: July 30, 2017, 11:51:18 AM »
At this point I was a HUGE Queensryche fan, was listening to a lot of early Genesis and was on the verge of discovering Dream Theater. Needless to say, I had left IM behind for the most part at this time. I had went from being a huge fan to being completely turned off by Bruce. This is by far his worst work, and until I discovered his solo work that was to come later in the decade, I had completely given up on him. I'm also not a fan of Janick's playing. He would end up writing some of my favorite reunion era songs in later years, but his contributions weren't that worthy at this point in his career. I prefer structure in IM solo sections, and his style is counter to that in many ways.

I've listened to this album a few times this week to refresh my memory of it. It does have some good moments, and those good moments are things that I can see myself coming back to, and listening to on occasion in the future.

Be quick or be dead: Fairly competent opener. Lots of energy from the band. The guitar solos are listenable, and of course I prefer Dave's.

From here to eternity: Fairly catchy chorus. The rest of the song really doesn't do anything for me. The guitar solos are pretty bad.

Afraid to shoot strangers: Bruce has never done this kind of vocal delivery very well. The transition from the opening section to the main body of the song is a little jarring. And yes, I'm saying that on a forum that's dedicated to prog rock/metal. The harmony section between the guitar solos is ok, but those solos are painful.

Fear is the key: This is mostly a good song. I can appreciate the section prior to the guitar solo, but I don't think that it was executed well.

Childhood's end: This song is ok, and Nicko gets to add a little extra flare. The solos are a pile of meh.

Wasting love: Definitely not your standard IM song, but I don't mind this one. As someone else has already pointed out, it's quite a bit like things that other bands had already done by this point, but they do a good job on this one.

The fugitive: I can see the call back to songs that they had already done up to this point in their career, but those songs from before were simply done better.

Chains of misery: I like this song. Nothing very remarkable about it, but that's ok. Good song.

The aparition: Steaming pile of shit part 1

Judas be my guide: Best song on the album. They've never played this live? WTF are they thinking?

Weekend warrior: Steaming pile of shit part 2

Fear of the Dark: I have a special place in my heart for this song. The part of my heart that despises things. This song suffers in comparison to every other epic that they had written prior to this. Yes, I understand how good it works in a live setting. However, that doesn't mean that it's worthy of any of their other epics. One of my favorite concerts of all time was the Somewhere Back in Time tour that they did about 10 years ago, but instead of pulling out a surprise and giving homage to a song from that era that was rarely played (To Tame a Land), or a song that had never been played (Alexander), they chose to trot out this turd. For as much as I enjoyed that show, that was an extremely disappointing moment, and probably made me hate this song rather than simply feel indifferent towards it.

What am I going to do on Monday? Probably not listen to this album  :lol
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #897 on: July 30, 2017, 03:55:57 PM »
I stated before that No Prayer was one of the first three Maiden albums I got and I have always really enjoyed it.  When it comes to Fear of the Dark, I can't quite remember where this album fell into the time and place in the timeline of discovery for me.  When it comes to Maiden, I got into them just before the reunion period so I never really held any judgement or disappointment for any era or album.  Fear I'd say over time has become a top 5 Maiden album for me.

I really enjoyed what the band did and the style on No Prayer so I feel this one is even stronger.  From the opening riff of Be Quick or Be Dead, I knew this was my style of music.  I don't think there is anything specific about this album that makes me rank it so high, I just think it's one I've found myself WANTING to listen to and replay more than most of the others.  This is actually one of my most played Maiden albums. 

In discussion about the production, I always really liked the sound on this one and never had an issue.  The performances are brilliant and the songwriting IMO is varied, creative and even though there are a few weaker moments, it's the band really pushing the boundaries at times.  Fear is the Key gets such a bashing, but have you ever heard Maiden do something quite like it.  Such a brooding atmosphere and I applaud and really really like this one.  Wasting Love, yes, might be the and trying to reach the mainstream, but again, something the band haven't done and a really great ballad.  The Apparition is a structure the band has never used and again, just something new and different.

When I said before about not being sure what the specifics are about this album, I will pinpoint one in the guitar work.  Janick obviously here finds his place compared to No Prayer but Dave absolutely shreds his ass off on this album and I fucking love it.  Chains of Misery might be a standard blusey affair but its something like that guitar solo in the middle that can really change the game, that solo is blistering.  Judas would be a top 15 Maiden song for me and Dave shows his skills all over this.  Again Weekend Warrior might not be their best song, but damn those solos are fantastic.  This would probably be my fav album when it comes to guitar work, I think that's what makes it so good for me.

As for the other songs, I have to defend Childhood's End.  Love the groove, love the main theme with the harmonies over Nicko's toms.  but again it's the middle guitar solo section that explodes.  The solos on this one are freaking brilliant.  And the magic thing is the transition between the two guitar players and the key change.  You almost don't know where Janick exactly stops and Dave comes in.  The way Dave comes in it's like he finishes a lick Janick started then continues on in a higher key, brilliant.

Gotta give a shout to the Fugitive too.  Love the verses here, the stomping rhythms fits the bill perfectly.  And yeah, the chorus is a bit cheesy but I love it.  The solo section is another expansive one with some really tricky shit going on here.  Constant key changes in Janick's solo is really different and gives a great mood.  Maiden really play around here and challenge themselves.

I think what helped this album was the live at Donington 92 video that I also got when discovering Maiden.  I bloody loved that VHS and use to come home from school and watch it every single day.  I ouldn't get enough of it.  Great video.  I really wish they would officially release that one on DVD.

Last thing random to add, the harmonies at 4:19 of Afraid to Shoot Strangers would easily be in the top 5 harmony sections the band have ever done.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #898 on: July 30, 2017, 04:05:58 PM »
Awesome post, Kade. Dead on!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: July 30, 2017, 04:11:59 PM »
Awesome post, Kade. Dead on!

Pretty random though, I know, but I have so many thoughts on this one, I really feel it gets such a bad wrap.  Listening to Judas now, and Dave rips so much.  He's definitely one of the reasons I love this one so much.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #900 on: July 30, 2017, 04:15:23 PM »
I think they certainly have more...not sure what the word is...classic..maybe..albums, but there's a feeling this one gives me when I listen to it that some others don't.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #901 on: July 30, 2017, 04:30:21 PM »
I'm sure everyone has those albums. For me it'd be No Prayer. I've got those with other bands too. Black Clouds and Silver Linings, Kiss Unmasked/Crazy Nights, Diver Down, to name a few. The only band I can think of where my tastes line up pretty much exactly with the general consensus is Rush.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #902 on: July 30, 2017, 06:52:21 PM »
I feel like SUCH the iconoclast here, and I trust that the fact that I've said all this stuff already will save me from accusations of just arguing to be difficult...BUT:

I would take the Riggs cover over the Grant cover any day of the week (I'm assuming it's incomplete, with the white bed).

I don't "love" anything about this album, but I liked the following best:
- Be Quick or Be Dead
- From Here To Eternity (dumb-ish lyrics, but the one song I would actually put this album on to listen to)
- Afraid To Shoot Strangers
- Fear of the Dark

I am endlessly intrigued by "Childhood's End" (which I like but not love) and especially "Weekend Warrior"; musically, the latter is very very different for Maiden, but it is destroyed (for me) by the inane lyrics.  I get what it is about, but that's not why I listen to Maiden.

I think the production is ok, only ok.  I think Bruce - the greatest frontman in metal history - turns in his only subpar performance as a member of the band (contrast that with the way he not only delivered, but EMBRACED and made his own the Blaze material that he has played since rejoining the band).   

The album to me is a rehash; Bruce continues the "Bon Scott" vocals of NPFTD.  The lyrical content is in the same vein as NPFTD.  The cover (and CD booklet) is almost exactly the same as NPFTD (Nicko even wears the same jacket in some of the photos).   

This is Maiden missing the mark, and not at all in the same way that Kiss did with Unmasked or Van Halen allegedly did with Diver Down.   Having said that, it's STILL Maiden, and I won't go as far as to say "IT SUCKS".  It's just not what that band is capable of. 

(In all fairness; I wrote most of this yesterday and then listened to it again on headphones last night while playing PS3, and it wasn't bad.   It wasn't POwerslave (my favorite) but there are flashes of what makes Maiden great.  I see what people mean when they say that Gers brought new ideas to the band.   Someone mentioned "Deep Purple" in relation to "Fear Is The Key", but to me, the real Deep Purple nod is "Be Quick Or Be Dead"; from the opening riff that song could have been on "The Battle Rages On".) 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 08:14:50 AM by Stadler »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #903 on: July 30, 2017, 07:03:56 PM »
I love the album art and also like how its the only one with the vertical band name. The music on the album, not so much. There's some stuff on it that I thoroughly enjoy, like the title track, but the overall album is just so so for me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #904 on: July 30, 2017, 07:17:00 PM »
Stadler, you don't get a Deep Purple vibe from Fear Is The Key?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #905 on: July 30, 2017, 07:56:44 PM »
I feel like SUCH the iconoclast here, and I trust that the fact that I've said all this stuff already will save me from accusations of just arguing to be difficult...BUT:

I would take the Riggs cover over the Grant cover any day of the week (I'm assuming it's incomplete, with the white bed).

I don't "love" anything about this album, but I liked the following best:
- Be Quick or Be Dead
- From Here To Eternity (dumb-ish lyrics, but the one song I would actually put this album on to listen to)
- Fear of the Dark

I am endlessly intrigued by "Childhood's End" and especially "Weekend Warrior"; musically, the latter is very very different for Maiden, but it is destroyed (for me) by the inane lyrics.  I get what it is about, but that's not why I listen to Maiden.

I think the production is ok, only ok.  I think Bruce - the greatest frontman in metal history - turns in his only subpar performance as a member of the band (contrast that with the way he not only delivered, but EMBRACED and made his own the Blaze material that he has played since rejoining the band).   

The album to me is a rehash; Bruce continues the "Bon Scott" vocals of NPFTD.  The lyrical content is in the same vein.  The cover (and CD booklet) is almost exactly the same as NPFTD (Nicko even wears the same jacket in some of the photos).   

This is Maiden missing the mark, and not at all in the same way that Kiss did with Unmasked or Van Halen allegedly did with Diver Down.

Couldn't disagree more about the bolded part. 

I've only seen one performance of Sign of the Cross (I think it was from Rock in Rio) and I thought it felt like Bruce was just trying to get through it....like he didn't really want to be doing it.   Even though *everything* about Bruce is better generally (better voice, better presence, better frontman) I think the song was written with Blaze in mind, and Blaze absolutely *FREAKIN KILLS IT*.     

Now that I think about it though, I've never seen a live performance of Blaze with SotC, I only know the studio version absolutely destroys Bruce's live version.   Maybe some of it is on Steve for doing that thing he always does....speed up a song that doesn't need to be sped up.   I think they do it slightly faster on RiR, and it kills the "brooding" mood of the original.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #906 on: July 30, 2017, 08:33:19 PM »
UPDATE on previous post...

I have since checked out Blaze's performances live and they are very much lacking.   Bruce is still better live than Blaze ever was....even on the Blaze stuff. 

However, as I suspected, some of it is the speed.   The one performance I heard where Blaze sounded pretty damn amazing was on his personal live album "Live as it Gets"....but it's tuned down, and slowed down.   The results are actually pretty cool. 

I don't want to derail the discography thread, but here is that performance for reference purposes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWH6RCcSUvo
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #907 on: July 30, 2017, 08:37:16 PM »
Everything about Blaze was much better after he left Iron Maiden. Kind of like Derek Sherinian after he left Dream Theater.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #908 on: July 30, 2017, 08:42:09 PM »
Kind of like Derek Sherinian after he left Dream Theater.
Great comparison. He took what he learned in Maiden and applied it to music that fit his style better. Lots of respect for the guy from me.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #909 on: July 30, 2017, 08:52:26 PM »
Kind of like Derek Sherinian after he left Dream Theater.
Great comparison. He took what he learned in Maiden and applied it to music that fit his style better. Lots of respect for the guy from me.

Yup, anyone that doesn't have respect for Blaze post Maiden, they just ain't paying attention.