Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 185111 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: No Prayer On the Road (1990 - 91)
« Reply #840 on: July 24, 2017, 08:45:31 PM »
A friend of mine had a bootleg from that tour called Live at Paul Ricard, which was awesome.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #841 on: July 24, 2017, 08:47:50 PM »
I remember that.

I taped the Providence show. Bruce greets the crowd, "How you doing Rochester?". WTF??  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #842 on: July 24, 2017, 08:57:05 PM »
January 25, 1991
Civic Center
Providence, RI

And the New York Event shirt bought at the Brendan Byrne Arena in NJ.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #843 on: July 24, 2017, 08:59:29 PM »
Awesome pics! I love the artwork around this tour. The poster is awesome and the backdrops were so cool.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #844 on: July 24, 2017, 09:05:56 PM »
That Live at Wembley soundboard bootleg it wonderful.  I'd love a pro shot show form this tour, seems like an absolute cracker.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #845 on: July 24, 2017, 09:07:52 PM »
They obviously taped some of the shows - isn't there a live video of Bring your daughter?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #846 on: July 24, 2017, 09:13:13 PM »
Awesome pics! I love the artwork around this tour. The poster is awesome and the backdrops were so cool.

This is actually one of my favorite tours. Dave was like a new person. You can tell, even today, that Dave really likes Jannick when they are on stage together.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #847 on: July 24, 2017, 09:36:32 PM »
They obviously taped some of the shows - isn't there a live video of Bring your daughter?
Yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean the whole gig was filmed. A video bootleg exists of the same gig that Stranger In a Strange Land was recorded at and you can see that the film crew only came out for two songs (Stranger and Iron Maiden). Was probably similar for all music video shoots.

That being said, video recording had come a long way in the 90s and bands were recording more often. I would not be surprised if Wembley was filmed, maybe that Holy Smokers gig too.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #848 on: July 25, 2017, 01:17:20 AM »
Too early for me to attend it, but all things considered and looking back at their history, it would have been quite nice to see such a "stripped down" tour! not that I ever complained about their bombastic productions, but this particular tour must have been a rarity all things considered.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #849 on: July 25, 2017, 06:51:42 AM »
I'm kind of surprised by the positive reviews of this tour.  I just didn't have anything to go on other than most people didn't like the album as much and with a stripped down show, figured people didn't enjoy the shows as much either, but I guess not!  That's cool they had some new life in them for this tour.  Nice pics again TAC.  Did Bruce get booed for calling out the wrong town?  I have a Van Halen bootleg where DLR does that as well.   :lol

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #850 on: July 25, 2017, 07:02:16 AM »
I would have loved to see that kind of a stripped-down Maiden show.  I pretty much did with the Ed Hunter tour, though that also featured their current stage-setup, but with less frills.

Also, I saw Kiss once in Champaign, IL, which is 2 hours/120 miles south of Chicago.  Peter Criss came out to sing Beth and said "How are you doing Chicago," and received some boos.   After he finished, Paul Stanley came back to the mic and just said "we're going to buy him a map."   :lol

As amazing as Bruce is, he's not immune to the occasional mix-up, so I wouldn't begrudge him for that, though it is somewhat maddening when artists can't keep the cities that they're in straight.  I think that's why some bands put the names of the cities on the setlist.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #851 on: July 25, 2017, 07:16:20 AM »
Well, I wouldn't ask anyone to remember the details of all cities like Alice Cooper does in Wayne's world (  ;D ), and I understand tour is just an alienating experience where you jump from the stage to the bus and from the bus to the stage, but yeah, at the very least know the damn place said bus stranded you in, shouldn't be such an impossible task  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #852 on: July 25, 2017, 07:28:34 AM »
I'm kind of surprised by the positive reviews of this tour.  I just didn't have anything to go on other than most people didn't like the album as much and with a stripped down show, figured people didn't enjoy the shows as much either, but I guess not!  That's cool they had some new life in them for this tour.  Nice pics again TAC.  Did Bruce get booed for calling out the wrong town?  I have a Van Halen bootleg where DLR does that as well.   :lol

I thought the wall of Marshall amps looked bad ass. It was also the first time I noticed the guys going to the back line to tune between songs. Just thought that was cool. Maybe they're not actually tuning, but it looked cool.

Right before Die With Your Boots on, he screams out "How the fuck are you Rochester?". He seems to immediately know he fucked up and goes "Shit........huh.......it's been a long time isn't it, you know.."  Oddly less than a minute earlier before the last chorus of Wrathchild he says "Providence, come on".

Before No Prayer, he talks about him and Jan playing The Living Room the previous year and that they "had a great time".

Also, I saw Kiss once in Champaign, IL, which is 2 hours/120 miles south of Chicago.  Peter Criss came out to sing Beth and said "How are you doing Chicago," and received some boos.   After he finished, Paul Stanley came back to the mic and just said "we're going to buy him a map."   :lol
Love Paul!

We get that a lot in Mansfield, which is in the middle of nowhere, halfway between Providence and Boston. Iron Maiden has always taken the time to call out Providence, but Bruce generally refers to it as Boston or Massachusetts. He also calls out Mansfield too. Bands will also give Worcester a shout out as well from time to time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: The First Ten Years (1990)
« Reply #853 on: July 25, 2017, 10:49:43 AM »
My version of the b-sides was not in a box, but as two-CD versions of the main albums.   So my copy of "Iron Maiden" has a second disk with "Sanctuary", "Burning Ambition", "Drifter (Live)" and "I've Got The Fire (Live)". 
Right - those were the 1995 reissues on the Castle label. AFAIK, those were released domestically in the US, as I recall picking up some of them in a Musicland or some other generic music store chain. Interesting thing about the bonus CD for Live After Death was that it had Losfer Words, Sanctuary and Murders in the Rue Morgue instead of "side 4" from the original album. I wish they'd reissue LAD once again and finally include those tracks as well (properly sequenced in the setlist (as well as "side 4"), even tho I know they weren't part of the Long Beach shows) since there's plenty of room on the second CD. Ah well.

I'm traveling today, but I'll check it when I get home... the subsequent release of Live After Death (around the time of the "Enahnced CDs" and when they first put "Total Eclipse" back on "Number...") have the fourth side.  So you need two versions, but you can get the whole set.

I love that fourth side (from Hammersmith).

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #854 on: July 25, 2017, 03:50:48 PM »
Just had a listen to the album. Mother Russia was a bit of a wtf moment as the intro is very reminiscent of Yngwie's Devil In Disguise intro, released very close together.

Offline stargazer18

« Reply #855 on: July 25, 2017, 06:52:34 PM »
This would be my last Iron Maiden concert until Brave New World. The 90’s were a busy decade for me as I began a full time job and going to college part time at night. I was not expecting the ultra stripped down stage show or the band members hitting the stage in black leather jackets and denim. The show was pretty good and the set list filled in a few more classics that I had yet to see live up to this show.

Intro - "633 Squadron" theme
Tailgunner
Public Enema Number One
Wrathchild
Die With Your Boots On
Hallowed Be Thy Name
22 Acacia Avenue
Holy Smoke
No Prayer for the Dying
The Clairvoyant
2 Minutes to Midnight
The Trooper
Heaven Can Wait
Iron Maiden

Encore:
The Number of the Beast
Bring Your Daughter... to the Slaughter
Run to the Hills
Sanctuary

Wrathchild, Die With Your Boots On, 22 Acacia Avenue and Sanctuary were new to me and I was satisfied when I left that I was able to add them to my list of songs I’ve seen played live.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #856 on: July 25, 2017, 07:45:19 PM »
Didn't they play Prisoner on a few dates?

Man, Adrian's solo on Prisoner is so good... I can't imagine what Jannick could have done with it.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #857 on: July 25, 2017, 09:01:41 PM »

I really think the stripped down show was the right move. The downside of huge stage shows is that it creates a disconnect with the audience and, if someone in the band isn't feeling it, it's very easy to hide behind the stage production. You always get an energetic show with Maiden, but I think this tour served as a reminder to the band of why they gained such a massive following in the first place.

Didn't they play Prisoner on a few dates?

Man, Adrian's solo on Prisoner is so good... I can't imagine what Jannick could have done with it.
Yea it was played on the last European run and at a few dates the previous year.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: The First Ten Years (1990)
« Reply #858 on: July 26, 2017, 02:16:30 AM »

Live at Wembley: This is a soundboard recording of one of the Wembley gigs and is among the best Iron Maiden bootlegs. The audio quality is fantastic and it almost sounds like an official release. The show is incomplete, but most of the important songs are there. The only glaring omission is Bring Your Daughter, but luckily it was well represented on live albums later on. Definitely don’t miss out on this one.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5unqrwbnt7bf2dk/AADgwUbM2OdNBOkrhK4JkynFa?dl=0

Fabulous bootleg, thanks for mentioning it. Listened on my bike ride this morning. Enjoyed Bruce's banter. Shame it's incomplete.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Mosh

« Reply #859 on: July 27, 2017, 07:08:13 PM »
Moving on to Fear tomorrow or Saturday, but one last thought on the tour. I can't emphasize enough how good Bruce sounded on this tour. This was the beginning of him really developing as a musician, culminating in a trilogy of maybe his greatest vocal performances (Accident of Birth, Chemical Wedding, Brave New World).

The interesting thing is that it seems at some point on this tour he stopped caring. There are some recordings from later on in the tour where he doesn't sound as good. And his banter seemed a bit different, less enthusiastic maybe. It seemed he wanted to stretch himself as a musician and an artist, but felt he needed to do that outside Maiden. Maybe he didn't realize that yet, but it became clear on the next tour. I look forward to reading more about this in his upcoming book.

Also the stage looks huge. Maybe it's the barebones thing, but it does look like they have a lot more space to work with.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #860 on: July 27, 2017, 07:33:49 PM »
It's been a long time since I did a bootleg run of this tour. The only show I listen to is the Providence show. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #861 on: July 27, 2017, 07:46:58 PM »
Moving on to Fear tomorrow or Saturday, 

:metal
Let's get on with the awesomeness that is....Fear Of The Dark!! :metal :metal

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #862 on: July 27, 2017, 08:24:54 PM »

The interesting thing is that it seems at some point on this tour he stopped caring. There are some recordings from later on in the tour where he doesn't sound as good. And his banter seemed a bit different, less enthusiastic maybe. It seemed he wanted to stretch himself as a musician and an artist, but felt he needed to do that outside Maiden. Maybe he didn't realize that yet, but it became clear on the next tour. I look forward to reading more about this in his upcoming book.

Maybe the "official" story is different, but I can't help but thinking he already wanted to leave (and the band knew about it) when they recorded FOTD.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #863 on: July 27, 2017, 08:28:04 PM »
I think he informed the band of his departure before the Real Live Tour.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #864 on: July 28, 2017, 01:04:50 AM »
We'll never know for sure, but if I recall correctly, the "official" version is that when Fear of the Dark was into writing he was still into it, and that he realized over the first leg of the tour that he wanted to leave, informing them before the second run which basically was turned into a farewell tour.

I still remember a quote from godknowswhere of him saying something like "Why it's so hard doing it night after night? and maybe you realize the reason is... you don't want to do it anymore".

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #865 on: July 28, 2017, 07:38:46 AM »
Moving on to Fear tomorrow or Saturday, 

:metal
Let's get on with the awesomeness that is....Fear Of The Dark!! :metal :metal
Isn't sarcasm supposed to be in "green" on this forum?   

I kid! I kid! (Not really...)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #866 on: July 28, 2017, 08:17:23 AM »
Fear Of The Dark is awesome and that is NOT sarcasm. Sure we could trim a couple three tracks from it but I maintain the album is 8 tracks deep.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #867 on: July 28, 2017, 08:54:37 AM »
Fear Of The Dark is awesome and that is NOT sarcasm. Sure we could trim a couple three tracks from it but I maintain the album is 8 tracks deep.

I know we are skipping ahead, but I dig Fear of the Dark. I probably wouldn't go eight-deep, but certainly six. I need to re-listen. It has been a while.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #868 on: July 28, 2017, 09:47:49 AM »

Totally agree.  I'll expand more once we reach that point.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #869 on: July 28, 2017, 12:20:31 PM »

Yup

Offline Mosh

« Reply #870 on: July 28, 2017, 08:07:06 PM »
Fear Of the Dark (1992)

With their first world tour as a new band under their belts, Iron Maiden were energized going into the next album. The new lineup was stable and Janick could be involved in the creative process. Improvements were also made to Steve’s Barnyard studio to improve the sound (with assistance from Martin Birch). The band decided to continue the raw sound, but also reintroduce elements of their classic sound. The synthesizers were eased back in and the more experimental side of Maiden wouldn’t be rejected in the same way as on No Prayer For the Dying. In some ways, Maiden were going to attempt to combine the best elements of both sides. This album also showed Steve Harris taking a more active role in the production and marks the first time he receives a producer credit on a Maiden studio album.

Of course this album is best remembered as being the last to feature Bruce Dickinson (before his return in 1999), but Bruce’s decision to leave didn’t occur until later. In fact, Bruce insists that he was 100% still into the band at this point. In fact, the morale was very high going into Fear Of the Dark. While the musical landscape had changed, especially in America, Maiden were still enjoying their usual amount of success in the UK. Janick had breathed new life into the band, they had their first UK #1 single with Bring Your Daughter To the Slaughter, and the tour was a success with many highpoints. Steve Harris even felt like Fear Of the Dark would be a new beginning for the band.  If No Prayer was Maiden adjusting to a change, Fear Of the Dark would show a more comfortable and confident Maiden.

It does seem like the band had experienced a sort of creative renaissance, as Fear of the Dark was their longest album to date and their first double LP length album (although CDs were the primary format at this point so it wasn’t considered a double album). At 12 tracks, it remains to this day as the Maiden album with the most songs. It could also be argued as the band’s most eclectic album, running the gamut from straightforward Hard Rock to Prog and everything in between. It even contains a power ballad. Say what you will about the album, but they were definitely at least attempting to take Maiden to new places.

Arguably the most important addition to Fear Of the Dark is Janick Gers’ as a creative force. On No Prayer he is very much a hired gun; his playing is more reserved and he didn’t write anything on the album. Janick truly comes into his own as a writer and performer on this album. His solos are more distinctive and he contributes to 5 of the 12 songs on Fear. Having worked with Bruce as a writing partner on his solo album, it was natural for the two to collaborate yet again on Fear. In fact, Wasting Love is actually a leftover from Tattooed Millionaire. This isn’t hard to believe when you listen to the track, which is the closest Maiden has come to a power ballad. It definitely would fit more on Tattooed Millionaire than a Maiden album, but then again it also fits the eccentricity of Fear Of the Dark.

The duo contributed two more songs to the album: Fear Is the Key and Be Quick Or Be Dead. Both songs (as well as Wasting Love) show a continuation of the more “socially conscious” Maiden that really came out on No Prayer. Fear Is the Key deals with the AIDs epidemic and makes reference to Freddie Mercury who died a year earlier (“nobody cares til somebody famous dies”). Be Quick Or Be Dead deals with corrupt politicians, specifically Robert Maxwell who was entangled in a banking scandal at the time (he can be seen strangled by Eddie on the single artwork). The song is a raucous opener that almost borders on Thrash Metal. It also marks the second time the album opener wasn’t written by Steve (this wouldn’t happen again until The Book Of Souls).

Janick Gers also collaborated with Steve Harris on two songs: Weekend Warrior and The Apparition. These songs also happen to be among the album’s most controversial. Weekend Warrior shows a more American styled Hard Rock sound while The Apparition is a very unusual tune that contains a 70s tinged synth break and no chorus. Both songs frequently fight for the place of weakest Maiden song (the recent Maidenfans ranking shows the two at the very bottom). Weekend Warrior also has a peculiar lyric, dealing with football hooligans. It’s a topic Steve is obviously passionate about, although it seems like an odd subject for a Metal song. On the other hand, despite all of its other quirks, The Apparition is your standard Harris lyrical affair.
After collaborating for the first time on No Prayer, Bruce and Dave gave it another shot with two more songs. Dave seemed to be having an increase of creativity during this period, contributing more than one song for two albums in a row. The first song, Chains of Misery, is another point of controversy in the Maiden catalog. Very similar to Weekend Warrior in its Hard Rock vibe, especially with the gang vocals in the chorus. Most would agree that the other attempt by the and was far more successful. Judas Be My Guide stands as one of the album’s hidden gems. It’s a heavy track that is stylistically not that far removed from Public Enema Number One. It’s actually probably one of the more “traditional” sounding songs on the album.

Of course the rest of the album is dominated by the usual slew of Harris tracks. Five songs were written exclusively by Steve and stylistically they’re really all over the place. From Here To Eternity is an oddity and feels more like an AC/DC song than a Maiden song. It almost seems like Steve wanted to write his version of Bring Your Daughter, or maybe he wanted to appeal more to the American audience since the previous two albums underperformed there. It does contain a “back to the roots” element in that it revisits an old topic for the band: Charlotte the Harlot. The song tells the story of Charlotte hitching a motorcycle ride with the Devil. The Fugitive and Childhood’s End are fairly straightforward, with Childhood’s End being another track that addresses a real world topic.

While Steve’s other contributions are inconsistent at best, he delivers the goods with what are considered by many to be the highlights of the album: Afraid To Shoot Strangers and the title track. Both songs harken back to the earlier progressive Maiden but, unlike Mother Russia and No Prayer For the Dying, Steve fully commits to his epic side. Afraid To Shoot Strangers deals with the Gulf War and is probably the earliest example of the “Modern Maiden” format of a slow soft intro followed by an explosive middle section and instrumental. This song contains a massive buildup. The title track has of course become a staple at concerts and is probably still their most famous post-80s track. Revisiting the studio version is always disorienting as I’m sure most fans have grown used to the crowd singing along with every note.

Fear Of the Dark was yet another divisive album for fans, but its most controversial aspect may actually be something that has nothing to do with the music itself: the cover. Starting in the 90s, Maiden began accepting artwork from other artists. The idea was to “update” Eddie for a new decade and take the character in different directions. When it came time to select the artwork for Fear Of the Dark, they had more options than what Riggs presented. Consequently, Riggs’ design was rejected in favor of artwork submitted by Melvyn Grant. Grant would create several more covers for the band and is the next most frequent contributor to Maiden artwork after Riggs. The decision to work with other artists was yet another step in a change of Maiden’s image compared to the 80s. Eddie did go on to evolve a great deal in the 90s and Fear Of the Dark was the first major step in the evolution. The “Tree Eddie” is controversial, but ultimately it was the right decision. Riggs was clearly less interested in doing work for Maiden, so it only made sense to let other artists try their hand at the character. Iron Maiden’s covers are often described as having a “comic book” quality to them and very few comic books feature the same artist for the entire run. Riggs’ submission for Fear Of the Dark did surface recently and, in my opinion, it only reaffirms the fact that Maiden were right to go a different direction.

Riggs did provide the artwork for the Be Quick Or Be Dead single, though. So he wasn’t completely cut off from Maiden. Strangely, Be Quick Or Be Dead is the only single from the album to feature Eddie on the cover. A rare move for the band to have an official release without Eddie on the cover, yet two of the three singles from this album are without Eddie.

Fear Of the Dark marks the end of yet another era for the band. The next album would feature a new singer, a new producer, and an even more peculiar cover. But it didn’t feel that way for them at the time. Fear Of the Dark was yet another success for the band and became their third #1 album in the UK. Where many other Metal bands were floundering around this time, Maiden were still keeping strong at home. They continued to decline in the US, making it their first album not to be certified gold. It did have a respectable chart performance at #12 though.

Fear Of the Dark and No Prayer For the Dying are often grouped together for their stylistic similarities and being the only two albums to feature this particular lineup. For many they represent low points in the band’s discography, and the band seems to feel the same way given their lack of attention to the era. Fear Of the Dark is a much more daring album than No Prayer, but in some ways that works to the album’s detriment. However it can also be seen as a necessary stepping stone for greater things. The band’s massive following in South America actually started around this time and some of the stylistic elements found especially in Afraid To Shoot Strangers and Fear Of the Dark remain in the band’s sound to this day. In some ways, Steve was right that this was a new beginning for the band, but maybe not in the way he intended.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Fear Of the Dark (1992)
« Reply #871 on: July 28, 2017, 08:26:00 PM »
yay. Fear Of The Dark!!

After the debacle of No Prayer, I was quite curious about Fear when it came out. Well leading off with Be Quick Or Be Dead, it was clear that this would be a much better album. Be Quick is an absolute monster of an opener. I remember it being played on the radio, in fact.

First off, I'll start this off with Fear's two major problems. First, as with No Prayer, what the hell happened to Bruce's voice? Not sure if he wasn't taking care of himself, vocally at the time or what, but these two albums were steps back, especially this one.
And there is way too much filler here. Generally chalked up to the first album in the "CD age", there was more time to fill, but this album is in need of editing. With a little trimming, this makes a damn fine 40-45 minute album.

Side A:
Be Quick Or Be Dead
Afraid To Shoot Strangers
Fear Is The Key
Wasting Love

Side B:
The Fugitive
Childhood's End
(Chains Of Misery)
Judas My Guide
Fear Of The Dark

I trim From Here To Eternity and The Apparition, which I do think is pretty neat, but a total B side if there ever was one. I go back and forth on Chains Of Misery.

I realize that Fear Is The Key is universally panned, but I have always loved it. I find it a very different type of Maiden song. I feel it's a total nod to Deep Purple, and I love how at 3:10, the guitars lead you out of a cool instrumental part and into what seems to be the most controversial part at 3:25. To me, Bruce is going full on Ian Gillan here. This is how I've always heard this part, and I actually think in that vain, it's kind of cool.

I also love Childhood's End. I've seen that one panned as well. I don't get it. Nicko's toms take my breath away every time. Love the solo section in that song too.

And Wasting Love is fantastic. Jannick's solo is beautiful.

And the title track...I distinctly remember rolling down my windows and BLASTING this. This is the most intense Maiden song there is, and it sits at #2 in my rankings.

Well, this may be a bit controversial, but using the desert isle argument, I'm likely taking Fear Of the Dark over Powerslave and Somewhere In Time.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 08:31:04 PM by TAC »

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #872 on: July 28, 2017, 08:57:57 PM »
Another awesome read! Thanks Mosh!! I have really grown to appreciate FOTD over time. When it was released I hated it, and kept wanting another Powerslave or 07h Son. But even with a band like Maiden, who operate within a certain "framework", the only way is forward. The only songs I liked when the album came out were Be Quick, From Here to Eternity, Childhood´s End and the title track. Afraid to Shoot Strangers did start the "slow intro with a build up and fast tempo solos" pattern, one which they would repeat way too many times during their career and even after the ressurgence with today´s lineup. This song was a highlight of the tour, but in hindsight, they drank too much of that fointain in the years to come. This was the first tour I saw them live, and the opener was UK´s Thunder. They were SERIOUSLY booed off the stage in the show I saw in Rio.

One slight correction I should make to Mosh´s post is that Maiden´s fandom in South America started a few years before that, when they played their first Rock in Rio, to an estimated audience of 250 thousand people, sandwiched between Whitesnake and Queen. That´s right, during the height of their popularity in the World Slavery Tour, Maiden OPENED for Queen!!!

Another thing I should mention from that period is that they were prohibited from playing in Chile during the "Fear of the Tour", due to protests by the catholic church there. So I guess the "En Vivo!", released years later, is sort of Maiden giving the middle finger to the church and making amends with the Chilean audience somehow.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #873 on: July 28, 2017, 09:10:19 PM »
  The only songs I liked when the album came out were ......, Childhood´s End ...

Yes, chalk another up for Childhood's End!

Offline njfirefighter

« Reply #874 on: July 28, 2017, 09:28:23 PM »
I always liked this album and still do. I pull this one out quite often. I actually always liked "The apparition" myself.