Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 183485 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Somewhere In Time (1986)
« Reply #525 on: June 26, 2017, 03:18:42 PM »
Only Caught Somewhere in Time had a chance, as I said earlier it was a great choice to open the encore of the Somewhere Back in Time tour, but they didn't realize yet the massive success it would have become, ensuring therefore a high demand for Maiden England, and they chose to pack the set with Seventh Son songs instead.
AND Fear of the Dark, which had NO reason whatsoever to be in that setlist. They should've had another SiT song in there, but noooooo, put in FotD for the umpteenth time.   :censored

I'd add that Afraid to Shoot Strangers had no reason to be in that setlist either, but it was a pleasant surprise so I'm not complaining.

Also, is that true about HCW?  I think I'd rather that than Wasted Years for this tour only to switch things back up., but that does make sense from a crew perspective.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #526 on: June 26, 2017, 03:20:27 PM »
Only Caught Somewhere in Time had a chance, as I said earlier it was a great choice to open the encore of the Somewhere Back in Time tour, but they didn't realize yet the massive success it would have become, ensuring therefore a high demand for Maiden England, and they chose to pack the set with Seventh Son songs instead.
AND Fear of the Dark, which had NO reason whatsoever to be in that setlist. They should've had another SiT song in there, but noooooo, put in FotD for the umpteenth time.   :censored

I'll always remember when they played it at my show. From the slow counting in I was dead sure it was Hallowed, mentally starting the song in my head, and when I realized it was Fear of the Dark I spent the entire intro, I kid you not, complaining to my buddy who was there with me "No!!! No!! why??? what does it has to do with the '80s?? why", all the time, really. I just accepted and went along with it only when Bruce started singing.

They should have had more courage in dropping that song. With such a stellar show and stage set, nobody would have walked away saying "Meh, they could have kept Fear of the Dark instead". And it would have been a welcomed returned in the "normal" tours.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #527 on: June 26, 2017, 03:22:23 PM »
Also, is that true about HCW?  I think I'd rather that than Wasted Years for this tour only to switch things back up., but that does make sense from a crew perspective.

Yes, can't remember the interview or forum I've read it, but I clearly remember stumbling upon this passage, of the band choosing to end with Heaven Can Wait to homage Bruce's battle with cancer, but the crew pointing out that during the last song they're already starting to tear down the set, and having to care for all the backstage passes and extras on the stage was too much work.

Then probably since they were already on a SIT mode anyway, they'd figured Wasted Years was a good as a closer as any, probably they had already the mindset "this time around we don't close with the usual Run to the Hills or Running Free".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #528 on: June 26, 2017, 03:28:03 PM »
I'd add that Afraid to Shoot Strangers had no reason to be in that setlist either, but it was a pleasant surprise so I'm not complaining.
Ha! I was referring to the Somewhere Back in Time tour, not the Maiden England tour, but good point! I'll say this, the inclusion of FotD and the lack of more SiT material in the Somewhere Back in Time tour are the only reasons I did not go see them on that tour. When I saw the setlist, I was so pissed that I vowed not to give them my hard-earned cash, and I didn't. A little of me regrets it now since I was unable to see the original Somewhere on Tour show, but not too much. They should've just done exactly as they did for the 2005 early days tour (where FotD *was* dropped from the set, and you can be sure, it wasn't missed!)
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #529 on: June 26, 2017, 03:34:59 PM »
Ha! I was referring to the Somewhere Back in Time tour, not the Maiden England tour, but good point! I'll say this, the inclusion of FotD and the lack of more SiT material in the Somewhere Back in Time tour are the only reasons I did not go see them on that tour. When I saw the setlist, I was so pissed that I vowed not to give them my hard-earned cash, and I didn't. A little of me regrets it now since I was unable to see the original Somewhere on Tour show, but not too much. They should've just done exactly as they did for the 2005 early days tour (where FotD *was* dropped from the set, and you can be sure, it wasn't missed!)

Wow, too bad you skipped it for that one song. I do agree that it would've been fine to drop it for that tour at least.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #530 on: June 26, 2017, 03:58:25 PM »

Wow, too bad you skipped it for that one song. I do agree that it would've been fine to drop it for that tour at least.
It was definitely a primary reason, but also because of them only having 2 songs from SiT in the setlist! I mean, c'mon. The tour is more or less named after SiT, dontcha think they could've included 2 more songs, dropping FotD and maybe one or two of the other extremely overplayed "perennial favorites" that are played at every single show (looking at you, NotB, IM, RttH, 2MtM)?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #531 on: June 26, 2017, 04:04:29 PM »
I think that tour they could not drop the big hits because of the large amount of complaints about the lack of hits from the previous tour for AMoLaD.  Not saying FotD is one of those though.  That definitely could and should have been dropped for that tour. 

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #532 on: June 26, 2017, 04:49:16 PM »
Pretty sure Maiden England was planned already by the time they did SBIT. Rod Smallwood plans things way in advance. The presence of post-Powerslave songs was more that they already did a tour focusing on the first four albums and just adding 4 songs from Powerslave probably didn't seem like enough. I always saw Moonchild as being a preview for the next tour. Like the post-credits scenes in movies that hint at what's next. That being said, I wish they would've pulled more from SIT than Seventh Son. We all assumed a Seventh Son themed tour was coming and the presence of so many songs from that album kinda lessened the excitement of Maiden England IMO. Instead of Moonchild and The Clairvoyant, I would've preferred Caught Somewhere In Time and Sea of Madness. Or even something from the first four albums that was missed on the previous tour.

Heaven Can Wait is probably my least favorite on the album, but there's so much good instrumental stuff on there. So many great harmonies and solos. Speaking of which, the unsung hero of SIT is really Dave. He plays some of his greatest solos on this album. I would say this and SSOASS were his peak as a player.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #533 on: June 26, 2017, 05:00:46 PM »
Pretty sure Maiden England was planned already by the time they did SBIT. Rod Smallwood plans things way in advance. 
Yes, I agree, which makes Moonchild for CSiT all the more perplexing.
I know you'll get to the tour Mosh, but I've been listening to boots from the Somewhere On Tour since the late 80's and CSiT just never sounded right. The harmonized guitars before the verses just sound weird. I've been listening to Loneliness, and they pulled that harmony off just fine. Maybe they were worried about being able to pull it off. If anything, the addition of Janick should've been able to help that.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #534 on: June 26, 2017, 05:12:31 PM »
Instead of Moonchild and The Clairvoyant, I would've preferred Caught Somewhere In Time and Sea of Madness. Or even something from the first four albums that was missed on the previous tour.

Defiintely, Flight of Icarus should have been played, but if not that, even some repeats from the previous tour would have fit better like Where Eagles Dare. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #535 on: June 26, 2017, 05:20:08 PM »
Instead of Moonchild and The Clairvoyant, I would've preferred Caught Somewhere In Time and Sea of Madness. Or even something from the first four albums that was missed on the previous tour.

Defiintely, Flight of Icarus should have been played, but if not that, even some repeats from the previous tour would have fit better like Where Eagles Dare.

Or Stranger In A Strange Land. How that one was missed, I have no idea.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #536 on: June 27, 2017, 01:19:22 AM »
Well, they played that song in the 1999 reunion tour, dropped it because Adrian Smith had to miss some dates for the death of his father, and felt the set flow better without it and didn't bring it back when Adrian returned.

So they probably thought "It didn't work back then, it surely won't work now".

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #537 on: June 27, 2017, 01:55:22 AM »
Disappointed by the lack of appreciation for The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner in this thread. It's one of my favorite Maiden songs. Great melodies, great harmonies and great solos. I don't care for the subject matter/lyrics, but the music is awesome.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #538 on: June 27, 2017, 02:26:02 AM »
The funny thing is, in my (fogged, granted) memory SSOASS came BEFORE Somewhere in Time. I bought it after reading another review in the magazine I mentioned before (OOR, the same one that was really responsible for even getting me into Maiden, after reading their revier for Killers). In the review they mentioned the rhythm section 'being all over the place' which somehow I took for being a bad thing. So somehow, when I bought it, I expected an album that would turn out to be terribly rhythmically unstable or something. I remember hearing the first track and humming along, going 'this isn't so bad, is it?' and then the next track and the next, feeling the excitement grow with every track. I think the first 'wow' moment came pretty quick with 'wasted years' and 'Stranger in a strange land' thinking of the firs 'wow, these guitars sound pretty damned good! and about the latter: 'This sounds EPIC!'  :biggrin: In fact the whole album sounds terrific, its probably one of the best sounding metal albums out there. Off course the cover already was fantastic to behold, with al its hidden messages. I didn't think the guitar synts were  a bad thing at all. The only two tracks that didn't do much for me were Alexander the Great (althoug I appreciate it a little more nowadays) and The Lonelyness Of The Long Distance Runner' which I still don't like to this day.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #539 on: June 27, 2017, 03:12:12 AM »
Disappointed by the lack of appreciation for The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner in this thread. It's one of my favorite Maiden songs. Great melodies, great harmonies and great solos. I don't care for the subject matter/lyrics, but the music is awesome.

Not crazy over the song, but I love the "I've got to keep running the course" section. Just like Heaven Can Wait, there's a single section of the song that stands out above the rest for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #540 on: June 27, 2017, 05:26:02 AM »

It could be my favourite song on the album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #541 on: June 27, 2017, 06:23:31 AM »
Loneliness just doesn't breathe. It has lots of cool parts, but they all just seemed pushed together. And lyrically, it sticks out like a sore thumb on the album.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: June 27, 2017, 08:36:25 AM »

I really like this song.  It's a bit cheesy on the lyrics, but still a fantastic song.  It just happens to be kind of in the middle of the pack on a strong album though.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #543 on: June 27, 2017, 09:09:18 AM »

I really like this song.  It's a bit cheesy on the lyrics, but still a fantastic song.  It just happens to be kind of in the middle of the pack on a strong album though.

When I was listening to the album yesterday, I was thinking about this too. Great music and great performance but the subject just isn't metal, is it.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #544 on: June 27, 2017, 01:57:53 PM »
Still my favorite, and still the best set of solos recorded by them.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #545 on: June 27, 2017, 05:37:59 PM »
Loneliness just doesn't breathe.

To be fair, sometimes it's hard to catch your breathe when you're running long distances...
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #546 on: June 27, 2017, 05:54:51 PM »
Haha. I thought of that, like maybe it was written that way. I've been listening to the live version this week, and I can't help but feel how gassed Nicko must be at the end of the song.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #547 on: June 27, 2017, 06:57:28 PM »

I love that song. Really solid and really memorable, for me at least.

And stupid ass me thought for years that a "long distance runner" was like a time traveling cop or agent going through time on assignment or something, and the loneliness he felt while pursuing this wild life. I don't know what crack I was smoking, but you should have seen my face when I finally found out that it was literally about a guy who runs long distance  :lol   I guess I had blade runner on the mind or something  :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #548 on: June 27, 2017, 07:01:09 PM »
Your version is so much more interesting.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #549 on: June 28, 2017, 12:31:37 AM »
I returned to Somewhere In Time last night, and especially Long Distance Runner. It's not as bad as I've always considered it, there are some cool parts in it, but I'd still rank it last on the album. Simply because the other tracks are even better (the old case of 'the ugliest of the supermodels').
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #550 on: June 28, 2017, 03:58:46 AM »
The strat of me falling out of love with Maiden. Up to this point they had done no wrong. It isn't even the use of guitar synths, I was quite looking forward to it as a new texture, and really I wouldn't have noticed they were there if I hadn't read about it.
The songs, on the whole, just didn't do it.
I like the title track, Wasted Years, Deja Vu and Alexander. The rest I couldn't care whether I heard them again.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #551 on: June 28, 2017, 05:32:21 AM »
Loneliness just doesn't breathe.

Therefore, they nailed it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #552 on: June 28, 2017, 05:54:19 AM »
A runner that doesn't breathe? He's a gonner, dude.  ;D
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #553 on: June 28, 2017, 07:12:41 AM »

I love that song. Really solid and really memorable, for me at least.

And stupid ass me thought for years that a "long distance runner" was like a time traveling cop or agent going through time on assignment or something, and the loneliness he felt while pursuing this wild life. I don't know what crack I was smoking, but you should have seen my face when I finally found out that it was literally about a guy who runs long distance  :lol   I guess I had blade runner on the mind or something  :P

Until today I've always understood this song as a big metaphor for the loneliness of the "blade runner" from the movie. Really, this thread is amazing (and that song still is very good)! :heart :heart :heart ;D
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Mosh

« Reply #554 on: June 28, 2017, 07:49:03 AM »
Long Distance Runner is in the same category as Alex and Heaven Can Wait for me. Most of the vocal parts seem rushed and bring the song down but some of Maiden's best musical moments are here. So many great harmonies and solos. Somewhere In Time is seriously one of Maiden's best guitar albums.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Mladen

« Reply #555 on: June 28, 2017, 10:19:08 AM »
Loneliness is fantastic. It contains some of their best guitar harmonies ever, and melodically it's very over the top, which I enjoy a lot. There's so much melody crammed into it. The beat itself is very furious, Bruce's vocals are manic as well, there's plenty of stuff that gets me going in this song.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #556 on: June 28, 2017, 10:57:01 AM »
About the lyrics being only about some long distance runner, I think there's a deeper meaning behind it. It seems the lyrics were inspired by this short story:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Loneliness_of_the_Long-Distance_Runner

Source (in portuguese):
 https://beasttrooper.blogspot.com/2009/10/analise-loneliness-of-long-distance.html.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #557 on: June 30, 2017, 09:34:47 PM »
Loneliness is fantastic. It contains some of their best guitar harmonies ever, and melodically it's very over the top, which I enjoy a lot. There's so much melody crammed into it. The beat itself is very furious, Bruce's vocals are manic as well, there's plenty of stuff that gets me going in this song.

I'm a runner, and what I choose Somewhere in Time as my soundtrack for a race, this bit always hits the right spot: "must be so determined and push myself on" (and Adrian's solo comes in)

Offline Mosh

« Reply #558 on: June 30, 2017, 09:59:48 PM »
Somewhere On Tour (1986 - 1987)

Weeks after finishing the new album and just a little over a year since the end of the World Slavery Tour, Maiden were on the road again. This time they insisted on an 8 month tour, as opposed to the 11 and a half months. The tour started again in Eastern Europe, starting with Yugoslavia and working its way through Poland for a return behind the Iron Curtain. They then went on their usual route of a full blown UK tour followed by the rest of Europe and then the USA. Unlike the World Slavery Tour, there were no stops in Australia or South America and the US only got one leg (although it lasted 4 months and they went pretty much everywhere). The tour finished in Japan, including an appearance at the legendary Budokan.

While Maiden cut back on the tour dates, they did not scale back on their stage show. Topping the last tour was going to be a challenge, but Maiden delivered once again. They adapted the album artwork into a futuristic/space themed stage with light-up backdrops and a drum riser that looked like a spaceship. The centerpiece of the show was the inflatable Eddie, whose head emerged below the drum kit, causing it to elevate toward the top of the stage. His arms rested at the front of the stage, serving as platforms for Bruce and Steve. Of course there was also a smaller walk-on cyborg Eddie. This was probably the best walk-on Eddie yet and very closely resembled the one on the artwork.

As usual, the setlist was heavy on the latest album. Five out of eight songs were performed from the new album for most of the tour. A sixth, The Loneliness Of the Long Distance Runner, was performed at the first date but was immediately dropped. This was also the first tour in which the Harris epic from the latest album was not played. Alexander The Great was surprisingly left off the setlist. Instead, they performed Rime again. The other highlight of the show was a guitar duet performed by Dave and Adrian. The Dave Murray guitar solo was a staple for Maiden’s concerts in the 80s, but this was the first time Adrian Smith joined him in the solo spot and the last time any sort of guitar solo was included in the set. The atmospheric duet culminated with a rendition of Walking On the Air from the animated adaptation of Raymond Briggs’ The Snowman. Trivia question: Maiden would take influence from the work of Briggs again in their history. Name that song.

Other highlights included the return of Phantom Of the Opera as a mainstay in the set, the return of Where Eagles Dare, and Children Of the Damned. By this point in the band’s history the setlist staples have mostly been established and the structure of the set has been solidified.

Unfortunately, Somewhere On Tour is infamously undocumented. Since Maiden had just invested in a high budget live album/video, Rod Smallwood found it unnecessary to record the next tour. The result is the first Maiden tour with absolutely no officially released material. No live album, no live video, no live b-sides. The only official footage can be found on 12 Wasted Years in short clips, including the Stranger In a Strange Land video which was recorded in Sheffield. This is especially unfortunate because, in addition to not having a document of the stage show, much of the Somewhere In Time album was forgotten after this tour, so there are no officially released recordings of those songs.

Thankfully there are bootlegs, including some professionally shot footage. The bootlegs with the best sound quality were actually filmed, which is nice considering there are no officially released SIT shows. Since they are all on youtube, I’m not going to upload any audio bootlegs this time around as there’s really no need. Here are the three essential videos from the tour:

Sheffield: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd0ElWAZY2A

This is actually the show where the Stranger In a Strange Land video was shot. You can see the cameras during that song and during Iron Maiden. Sadly it looks like the film crew didn’t capture the rest of the set. Anyway, this bootleg was filmed by an audience member but the sound actually comes from a soundboard recording, so it’s actually probably the best sounding boot from this tour.

Paris: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrciOJY4CM8&t=3476s

Philly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1EE-YR4fi4 (incomplete)

These two shows are both pro-shot. I really don’t understand why they didn’t officially release one of these for the Maiden England DVD. They show a clip of Paris in the documentary on that DVD so they definitely have it in their possession. It’s not the highest of quality but it’s better than nothing. 

Online MirrorMask

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Somewhere On Tour (1986 - 87)
« Reply #559 on: July 01, 2017, 01:14:17 AM »
Indeed it was weird that Alex wasn't played and that they kept a mammoth song like Rime. Otherwise I agree that, all things considered, this is the "lost tour" and that it would have been nice to have clearer video memories of the giant Eddie head and it's hands.

I said I was a quite knowledgeable Maiden fan but I have to admit I don't know the other Briggs inspiration. What I remember from this tour is a comment from Bruce about how he wanted his stage clothes to look like he was a space hunter, got on Mars, killed some alien lizards and made pants out of it  :biggrin: