Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 184430 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: World Slavery Tour (1984 - 85)
« Reply #420 on: June 16, 2017, 08:21:43 PM »
Awesome!!

You reminded me. In the liner notes, there was a timeline of an average day for the road crew. When I was in college, I took Public Speaking, and one of my class "speeches" was setting up a stage for a rock concert, and I used Live After Death as my source.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #421 on: June 17, 2017, 01:27:28 AM »
* I remember Dave and Adrian going up on the back risers during Hallowed, like they do On Live After Death. I remember that visual.

It's so simple, but it's such a striking visual, especially with that harmony happening - one of my favourite moments from LAD. I can only imagine what it was like to see that live!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #422 on: June 17, 2017, 07:29:12 PM »
I remember seeing this picture in a magazine a few months before I saw the show. I could not believe how awesome the stage looked and I remember getting goosebumps right in the magazine store looking at it. It's so awesome, it ended up making the album sleeve.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #423 on: June 17, 2017, 07:29:21 PM »
*double post*
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 07:12:54 AM by TAC »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #424 on: June 17, 2017, 11:08:02 PM »
The World Slavery tour is one of the few from that era that I remember very well. I think it was the 4th or 5th show I'd seen and was certainly the biggest spectacle, and would be for many years. The golden sarcophagus splitting open to reveal Eddie was just stunning. I had pretty good connections back then so we had great seats and the whole thing really seemed larger than life. Along with with the great seats we got passes to go back after the show. Wandering around the back of the arena we got to stand next to Eddie's head. The big mummified one in the pictures TAC is posting. Not quite as tall as me at 14, but still pretty damn big. That we didn't take pictures of us with it is one of the things that still haunts me after 30 years.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #425 on: June 18, 2017, 08:43:53 AM »
I saw this tour!

Nah, kiddin', I just saw its "rerun" in 2008  ;D I was just a little kid back then, but this is the tour that made history for sure. A landmark tour and live album, the template for an heavy metal show and a live album, really.

I remember watching the VHS that the same schoolmate that introduced me to Maiden lent me, and it was simply amazing to see such a show. I wonder what must have been to see it live back in the day! And I also agree about the insanely hectic tour schedule, it burned out everyone and especially Bruce, but they earned their rightful place in history with this tour.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #426 on: June 18, 2017, 08:54:47 AM »
  I had pretty good connections back then so we had great seats and the whole thing really seemed larger than life. Along with with the great seats we got passes to go back after the show. Wandering around the back of the arena we got to stand next to Eddie's head. The big mummified one in the pictures TAC is posting. Not quite as tall as me at 14, but still pretty damn big. That we didn't take pictures of us with it is one of the things that still haunts me after 30 years.

Wow, that's awesome!!

Bart, who opened? WASP?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 09:17:20 AM by TAC »

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #427 on: June 19, 2017, 10:41:51 AM »
Mosh, Tim,

Thanks for all the info and imagery. I didn't even know about Iron Maiden yet. In 1985, I had yet to really discover a lot of music. It wouldn't be until 1988 or 1989 that I heard of Maiden, and then it was 2000 before I saw them live. But having become a huge fan, I love seeing all of this.

Trying to add a little to things, Queensryche was the opener for those Radio City Music Hall shows.

January 17, 1985    NYC, NY    Radio City Music Hall - https://anybodylistening.net/1-17-85.html
January 18, 1985    NYC, NY    Radio City Music Hall - https://anybodylistening.net/1-18-85.html
January 19, 1985    NYC, NY    Radio City Music Hall - https://anybodylistening.net/1-19-85.html
January 20, 1985    NYC, NY    Radio City Music Hall - https://anybodylistening.net/1-20-85.html
January 21, 1985    NYC, NY    Radio City Music Hall (cancelled)
January 23, 1985    NYC, NY    Radio City Music Hall (cancelled)
January 24, 1985    NYC, NY    Radio City Music Hall (cancelled)

(links showcase four stubs - one from each show - for Maiden)

>>>I have listed here a seven-show run with the last three canceled. Mosh, are those dates and cancellations correct? Obviously, the first four are good, as I have ticket stubs for them and info. But did Jan. 21 happen?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #428 on: June 19, 2017, 11:00:21 AM »
Right the last three dates were cancelled.

There's a picture of Steve in a QR shirt that's probably from early 84 so I'm assuming he was aware and a fan of them very early on.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #429 on: June 19, 2017, 11:30:43 AM »
I saw this show in the winter of 1984. I remember it being a work night, general admission, and the stupid Salt Palace had booked them into one of the smaller theaters so the show had sold out almost immediately. Why they didn't put them in the arena and sell more tickets is a mystery never solved. I wasn't expecting too much but it was amazing how they made that tiny stage feel like a huge production. Most of the classic elements were there but not the risers. I was never able to force my way to the front but I clearly recall having a great view for Rime of the Ancient Mariner and just being spell bound by it.

I'm pretty sure this was the last time I saw them live, too. Shame.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Art

« Reply #430 on: June 19, 2017, 02:51:21 PM »
Live After Death is the best metal live album of all time to me.

Unfortunetly i was too young to see this legendary tour.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #431 on: June 19, 2017, 02:53:20 PM »
Right the last three dates were cancelled.

There's a picture of Steve in a QR shirt that's probably from early 84 so I'm assuming he was aware and a fan of them very early on.

They were on the same label. It could've been a label pairing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: June 19, 2017, 07:54:55 PM »
I love this live album and the whole sound of it is brilliant.  Love how perfectly seperate Davey and H's guitars are.  As a young teenager learning the guitar, I would spend my hours day after day after school playing through the songs pretending to either be Dave or Adrian by panning the speakers and just playing others parts.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #433 on: June 19, 2017, 08:05:48 PM »
I literally came in to post how awesome the mix is with Dave in the right channel and Adrian in the left.

As a young teenager learning the guitar, I would spend my hours day after day after school playing through the songs pretending to either be Dave or Adrian by panning the speakers and just playing others parts.

That's awesome!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: June 19, 2017, 08:18:17 PM »
I literally came in to post how awesome the mix is with Dave in the right channel and Adrian in the left.

As a young teenager learning the guitar, I would spend my hours day after day after school playing through the songs pretending to either be Dave or Adrian by panning the speakers and just playing others parts.

That's awesome!

It's so cool playing the other harmony parts on songs like Trooper and Hallowed.  And playing say Adrian's solo for the trooper than just the rhythm when Dave kicks in, good stuff.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #435 on: June 20, 2017, 06:23:18 AM »
Only going to react to Live after Death, because that's all I own, except for the 12" inches that were pulled off the album.
I eagerly awaited this album and it's safe to say, it didn't disapoint. The thing with live albums is, that the really good or great ones are a combination of great performances and great audience atmosphere/reaction. I never new Martin Birch was the producer that also did Deep Purple's Made in Japan, but that being one of the very first live albums I ever owned and heard, it made total sense. Having been a performer in bands for over thirty years I know of the perils of recording live. Either the equipment sucks or bums out, or the performance is flawed or lackluster (perfect sound and a shitty performance or a 'dead' audience, yeah, been there, but also: great performances captured by glorious 'mono' handheld walkmans...yeah been there as well!). Plus imagine my huge disapointed when I found at KiSS's Alive was studio-doctored. With Maiden off course, you know the show will be great, it's just a matter of the singer being at the top of his game and the audience being 'getting into it'. With this one, everything fell into place.

Once Churchill's voice starts up with the airplanes in the background, you know its on. Then the quickfire one-two punch of Aces High/2 minutes to Midnight and you're right in the thick of it. Then the first stellar song: Revelations oh, the atmosphere! Then Flight of Icarus and this is probably the definetive version of the song they recorded. Strangely Number of the beast isn't all that special on this recording, but Powerslave, Hallowed be thy name and Rhime of the Ancient Mariner all made up for that. When the closer 'Running Free' (of the Long Beach concert, that is) hits, I'm already exhausted of rocking out. Bruce is at his best here. 'But thusday  didn't do it, Friday didn't do it, Saturday didn't do it, Long Beach! This is your chance to fuck up my hearing for good!" Dam near fucked up mine in the process, I'll tell ya that!

The Hammesmith portion is a nice bonus, but Long Beach is where its at.
Live after Death is a classic live album and Always will be. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #436 on: June 20, 2017, 07:06:33 AM »
I forgot this before; Live After Death to me is the perfect example of when and how to do a live album. Sure, nowadays you find entire concerts on YouTube and many bands release live albums on a whim, Maiden included, but LAD was coming at the right moment, documenting a massive world tour, and as it has been said it serves as a live greatest hits of that time. A defining moment in history cemented for all the world to see!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline stargazer18

« Reply #437 on: June 20, 2017, 10:25:53 AM »
This was the current album when I became a fan and I knew enough listening to it that I needed to "quickly" get their entire discography! I will say that when I  listen to the studio version of Revelations I'm always disappointed in not hearing the Mother Fu@#$er at the end!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #438 on: June 20, 2017, 11:49:59 AM »
This was the current album when I became a fan and I knew enough listening to it that I needed to "quickly" get their entire discography! I will say that when I  listen to the studio version of Revelations I'm always disappointed in not hearing the Mother Fu@#$er at the end!

Or the "Let it go!" in Flight of Icarus  :metal

Offline Mosh

« Reply #439 on: June 20, 2017, 08:14:55 PM »
I have mixed opinions on LAD. I get its historic importance and it's a great live album with an awesome setlist, but 30 years later there are a lot more live albums to choose from, including two (IMO superior) live albums from the 80s. So it's far from the album I reach for when I want live Maiden.

I would love an official release of the Hammersmith gig. They released the important parts of it, but I'd still like to hear the show in its entirety. Bruce sounded better on the Hammersmith tracks and the setlist is far superior.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #440 on: June 20, 2017, 10:10:13 PM »
  I had pretty good connections back then so we had great seats and the whole thing really seemed larger than life. Along with with the great seats we got passes to go back after the show. Wandering around the back of the arena we got to stand next to Eddie's head. The big mummified one in the pictures TAC is posting. Not quite as tall as me at 14, but still pretty damn big. That we didn't take pictures of us with it is one of the things that still haunts me after 30 years.

Wow, that's awesome!!

Bart, who opened? WASP?
WASP opened. After the show, when we're waiting for the band to come out, we grab a couple of beers and sit next to two groupie chicks who were so far out of our league we must have seemed like ants to them. While we're foolishly trying to hit them up Chris Holmes came in and took them away. In the process of rescuing them he greets us, "Hey boys. Hows it goin tonight?" which was more than either Bruce or Nicko had to say to us.

In retrospect we would have much rather been at WASP's backstage meet and greet. Only Bruce and Nicko came out and didn't really have much to say or do. Signed some autographs and that was about it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #441 on: June 20, 2017, 10:12:22 PM »
I have mixed opinions on LAD. I get its historic importance and it's a great live album with an awesome setlist, but 30 years later there are a lot more live albums to choose from, including two (IMO superior) live albums from the 80s. So it's far from the album I reach for when I want live Maiden.

I would love an official release of the Hammersmith gig. They released the important parts of it, but I'd still like to hear the show in its entirety. Bruce sounded better on the Hammersmith tracks and the setlist is far superior.
LAD suffered for Bruce being overworked. It was great to hear for those of us that saw it, and it's a fine live album, but overall I agree with you. Don't know if you're going to mention it, though as thorough as you're being I reckon so, but Behind The Iron Curtain was a much better representation. The band is the band, but Bruce sounded much fresher.
E.F. Benson

Offline Mosh

« Reply #442 on: June 20, 2017, 10:32:44 PM »

LAD suffered for Bruce being overworked. It was great to hear for those of us that saw it, and it's a fine live album, but overall I agree with you. Don't know if you're going to mention it, though as thorough as you're being I reckon so, but Behind The Iron Curtain was a much better representation. The band is the band, but Bruce sounded much fresher.

I did mention it, but it might've gotten buried being at the end of the page (some cool pics from TAC too): https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=50220.msg2328236#msg2328236

Behind the Iron Curtain is a better performance from Bruce, I would love to hear a full show from that tour released some day (also because there's a rumor that Back In the Village was played at some of these shows).

I also love the performance on Rock In Rio. Everyone sounds great and you can tell the band is feeding off the crowd's energy. One of their most energetic performances.

Also, I'm going to watch the DVD tomorrow but, if my memory is right, Bruce sounds better on the album compared to the video.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #443 on: June 21, 2017, 06:10:15 AM »

I totally understand and don't really disagree. It is not my favorite live Maiden album. But they have so many live albums to choose from, and they're all excellent.

LAD suffered for Bruce being overworked. It was great to hear for those of us that saw it, and it's a fine live album, but overall I agree with you. 

Honestly, I've never listened to Live After Death, and ever had a critical thought towards the vocals. It's a live album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #444 on: June 21, 2017, 06:13:35 AM »
Mosh, speaking of Bruce, will you be listing his solo albums as part of this too?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #445 on: June 21, 2017, 06:47:55 AM »

Wow, that's awesome!!

Bart, who opened? WASP?
WASP opened. After the show, when we're waiting for the band to come out, we grab a couple of beers and sit next to two groupie chicks who were so far out of our league we must have seemed like ants to them. While we're foolishly trying to hit them up Chris Holmes came in and took them away. In the process of rescuing them he greets us, "Hey boys. Hows it goin tonight?" which was more than either Bruce or Nicko had to say to us.

In retrospect we would have much rather been at WASP's backstage meet and greet. Only Bruce and Nicko came out and didn't really have much to say or do. Signed some autographs and that was about it.

"Hey boys, how's it going" is rock star for "Hey boys, this is how a man does it.   I'm going to have more sex in the next 26 minutes - with both of these women - than you will have until you are AGE 26.  Maybe longer.   Ladies, I'm here now.   Come with me."

Haha.   (I'm just kidding with you, of course.  I have a vaguely similar story about Kiss as well.)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #446 on: June 21, 2017, 06:53:48 AM »
"Hey boys, how's it going" is rock star for "Hey boys, this is how a man does it.   I'm going to have more sex in the next 26 minutes - with both of these women - than you will have until you are AGE 26.  Maybe longer.   Ladies, I'm here now.   Come with me."

:rollin

Totally!

Offline Mosh

« Reply #447 on: June 21, 2017, 08:03:29 AM »
Mosh, speaking of Bruce, will you be listing his solo albums as part of this too?
absolutely

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #448 on: June 21, 2017, 08:15:16 AM »
Great. I find what he did outside of Maiden was very interesting. I mean, that's stating the obvious right, but to this Maiden fan, his solo stuff really helped shape how I truly felt about him. More on that later..

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #449 on: June 21, 2017, 08:19:33 AM »
absolutely

:metal :metal :metal

Offline Mosh

« Reply #450 on: June 21, 2017, 12:05:39 PM »
Yea I'll do Bruce's albums for sure, probably also the first two Blaze albums, some Adrian Smith stuff, and of course Steve Harris' album.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #451 on: June 21, 2017, 12:13:15 PM »
I asked about the Bruce albums because my opinion on Bruce changed over time. And it was one of his solo albums that convinced me of his true value to the band.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #452 on: June 21, 2017, 06:56:07 PM »
I asked about the Bruce albums because my opinion on Bruce changed over time. And it was one of his solo albums that convinced me of his true value to the band.

If we're of the same mind-set, Accident of Birth and The Chemical Wedding are two of the greatest metal albums ever recorded.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #453 on: June 21, 2017, 07:18:41 PM »
My Bruce epiphany did not happen with either of those.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: June 21, 2017, 07:54:11 PM »

You're not going to tell are you?

CW my number 1 album of all time, just came along at the right time and still knocks my socks off.  Skunkworks I rate really highly too, amazing album that one.