Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 184566 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Piece of Mind (1983)
« Reply #280 on: June 06, 2017, 08:26:16 AM »
In some ways, I wish DT would have covered this one instead of Beast. 

Isn't Portnoy on record agreeing with you? he only picked Number of the Beast because it was more popular.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #281 on: June 06, 2017, 08:36:34 AM »

Isn't Portnoy on record agreeing with you? he only picked Number of the Beast because it was more popular.

I wouldn't say "more popular."  I don't remember his exact wording, but I think the reasoning was more along the lines of Beast being the more "definitive," classic Maiden album.  And I would agree with that.  I think it made more sense for them to do Beast.  But subjectively, in terms of which album I personally like more, I would have preferred POM.  I think that's basically where Portnoy was coming from as well.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #282 on: June 06, 2017, 05:37:54 PM »
Fantastic album and excellent write ups about it.  I find myself in the mood to listen to this album more than Number of the Beast.  It just seems that every time I listen to Piece of Mind, you find something new that you didn't hear or notice before.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #283 on: June 06, 2017, 07:57:54 PM »
Cool stories everyone.

Stadler, nice to see some love for the WED solo section. It might be Dave Murray's finest moment for me. The atmosphere of the section is unlike anything Maiden had ever done or would do after. The whole song is extremely cinematic and arguably their greatest opener. I easily prefer it to Aces High.

Quest For Fire is a decent song. I agree that it would've been better received as an instrumental. The lyrics are a little goofy and the vocal melody doesn't do much, but musically the song is just as good as anything else on the album. Love the guitar harmonies and solos. Like I said, Piece of Mind is my favorite Maiden album. But if I was to pick one flaw, I would say that it doesn't end as strongly as it starts. Unlike Beast, which starts fairly lackluster and then builds up until the end with Hallowed, Piece of Mind starts off insanely strong and then kinda burns out by the end. When I was younger, I turned the album off after Still Life. I've come to appreciate the last three songs more since, but they are overshadowed by everything else. Even To Tame a Land, which is a great song, doesn't come close to WED, Revelations, Still Life, or The Trooper.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: June 06, 2017, 08:29:38 PM »
Yea, great write ups.  Great album, Where Eagles Dare was certainly a song that really drew me into them.  I've always liked Sun and Steel, Quest For Fire however always felt like the bad song which I felt like appeared on almost every Iron Maiden album.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #285 on: June 06, 2017, 08:31:33 PM »
I wonder if I can convert cassette to cd?  I would have a surprise for the next album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: June 06, 2017, 09:54:16 PM »
The only thing that always bugged me was during the slow verses on Revelations, there seemed to be a loud clicking and sort of a skipping sound that seemed out of time and out of place.  I think it was just fret and pick noise from the guitars though.  Anyone else know what I'm referring too?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #287 on: June 06, 2017, 11:16:46 PM »
At the end of each stanza, one of the guitars hits a note on the offbeat, is that what you're referring to? I always liked that touch.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #288 on: June 07, 2017, 01:39:18 AM »
Piece of Mind was as wonderous album for me. At the first tones out of the speakers it felt familiar but also very different. First things that I noticed was the inside coverphoto (taken after a night of heavy drinking? Everyone looks like they're about to be sick) plus, off course the new drummer who is very present right from the start.
The songs are great, the sound is fantastic, the artwork is very different, but great, and yet, like someone else has mentioned, POM is an album that is often 'forgotten' about when mentioning their best albums. Everyone mentions NOtB, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time, but almost no-one ever mentions Piece of Mind. Which is a shame really, because there is a LOT to enjoy! This album cemented Maiden's name in the hardrock/heavy metal community. Their star was rising, ever upward. Who'ever, whatever, wherever you are...... Up the Irons!
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you΄re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #289 on: June 07, 2017, 03:08:50 AM »
Let me just chime that to say that Piece Of Mind might be my favorite Maiden record.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #290 on: June 07, 2017, 03:44:41 AM »
I like to see such a universal praise of the album. Sure, maybe it's not everyone's very favorite, and some may not like all the songs completely, but I've yet to find one that actually dislikes Piece of Mind and doesn't care for it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #291 on: June 07, 2017, 04:09:49 AM »
I love this album, one of my favourite Maiden albums. Nicko is on fire and I love his energy in WED.
As mentioned, I also prefer the slower studio version of Flight of Icarus compared to how they usually play it live.

As said many times before, why isn't To Tame a Land a regular on their setlist??
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #292 on: June 07, 2017, 04:31:06 AM »
It was when the album was new, and then it disappeared, like many of the epics of the albums that get played only in the tour they belong to. Phantom and Halloweed were the only exceptions, and Rime of the Ancient Mariner survived into the Somewhere in Time tour.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: June 07, 2017, 05:41:35 AM »
At the end of each stanza, one of the guitars hits a note on the offbeat, is that what you're referring to? I always liked that touch.

Nah, I just had a close listen and it's nothing like I thought it was.  I think it's just reverb or something, nevermind.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: June 07, 2017, 06:34:59 AM »
Okay, I've been wondering this since I acquired Beast Over Hammersmith on its release: does anyone else notice Bruce's strange, slightly plummy, and almost mockney, accent when he speaks? It's always leapt out at me. Most curious!
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #295 on: June 07, 2017, 06:43:36 AM »
Finally caught up.  Somehow I missed seeing the start of this thread in May, and then just needed to carve out a couple hours to read and catch up.  So, bit of a long post here...

The Di'Anno albums - I didn't get them until much later into my Maiden voyage.  They didn't start out too well for me, but have aged very nicely.  Some real gems in there.  Like JJ said, they are sufficiently metal enough to listen past the punk style.

NOTB
My favorite Maiden album - virtually flawless (especially when you swap Gangland with Total Eclipse).  Hallowed is my #1 Maiden song of all-time.  I don't have enough superlatives for this album.  Run To The Hills was the first Maiden song I ever heard - probably at 15 yrs old (and through the video - Tim... thanks for posting that.  It was still getting regular rotation up here on Much Music into the late 80s.  Gave me chills to watch it).  For me, it's one of those songs that invokes  the feelings that I had the very first time I heard it - like a shadow, that feeling is always with me when I hear it.  Jaw dropping.  Everything about it was like nothing I'd ever heard before - the vocals, the drum fills, the solo, the galloping bass.

Fun story... in the late 80s, for a few years in a row, me and a few buddies would make a weekend road-trip to Boston after exams in May.  We'd drive all night on a Friday, go to a bunch of CD shops and spend a shit-ton of money on CDs, get all lathered up at Faneuil Hall, more shopping on Sunday and drive home Sunday evening.  One time, around 5am Saturday morning, RTTH comes on, and our driver at the time is air-drumming his way through every fill - to the point that we're making a turn on a winding and hilly road, and he almost takes us over the edge - BECAUSE HE HAS TO FINISH THE DRUM FILL!!!  Buddy in the passenger seat was luckily not napping, and had to yank the wheel to get us back on the road.

This is definitely the flagship album in their discography.  No doubt about it.  Some may argue that it isn't their "best", but it is their flagship.

PoM
As has already been implied, Nicko made an impact in the first 15 seconds of the album.  His work on the Where Eagles Dare is unreal, and a noticeable step up from Clive.  This was actually my first Maiden album, and for me there isn't a weak track on the album.  I love them all.  Song-for-song, it's their most consistent album imo.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #296 on: June 07, 2017, 08:17:35 AM »
Piece of Mind is definitely the forgotten Maiden album in my collection.  I always play the others, but due to this thread, I've been playing the crap out of it over the last week.  Right now, it's the only Maiden album I'm in the mood to listen to, which is nice for a change.  It's easy to forget how awesome the first 5 songs are, all in a row.  After Trooper, the album starts to drop off for me, which may be why I don't listen to it as often as I should.  Though with my recent binge, I'm starting to enjoy those later songs a bit more than usual.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #297 on: June 07, 2017, 08:41:04 AM »
and yet, like someone else has mentioned, POM is an album that is often 'forgotten' about when mentioning their best albums. Everyone mentions NOtB, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time, but almost no-one ever mentions Piece of Mind.

???  Really?  From my experience, it always seems to get a ton of love, and deservedly so.  I guess it just depends on who you talk to. 

One time, around 5am Saturday morning, RTTH comes on, and our driver at the time is air-drumming his way through every fill - to the point that we're making a turn on a winding and hilly road, and he almost takes us over the edge - BECAUSE HE HAS TO FINISH THE DRUM FILL!!!  Buddy in the passenger seat was luckily not napping, and had to yank the wheel to get us back on the road.

:lol  I can picture that type of scenario playing out with several different groups of friends from my younger days.
"What were you thinking?!  You need to keep your hands on the wheel!"
"But the fill wasn't done yet!"
It's a wonder boys survive past our early twenties.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mosh

« Reply #298 on: June 07, 2017, 10:51:56 AM »
Well NOTB is their breakthrough album, Powerslave was attached to a massive tour and live album, and SIT has earned a cult status among hardcore fans. Piece Of Mind is "just" another classic album. I don't think it's forgotten as much as there isn't much to talk about with it compared to some of the other albums.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #299 on: June 07, 2017, 11:46:38 AM »
Well NOTB is their breakthrough album, Powerslave was attached to a massive tour and live album, and SIT has earned a cult status among hardcore fans. Piece Of Mind is "just" another classic album. I don't think it's forgotten as much as there isn't much to talk about with it compared to some of the other albums.

Fascinatingly enough, Piece of Mind and Seventh Son both seem to be the two big favorites for the band as far as their classic era material goes, especially for Steve.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online Mladen

« Reply #300 on: June 07, 2017, 11:54:38 AM »
I find this to be very true.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #301 on: June 07, 2017, 02:14:54 PM »
Piece of Mind is the album I go to when I want an entire album fix of Maiden. I don't know if I'd call it my favorite (I have difficulty picking favorites) but it's certainly had more spins than the rest. I love, love, love Still Life. I wish Murray penned more tunes.

As great as Maiden is, I still like this cover of The Trooper better.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #302 on: June 07, 2017, 02:23:44 PM »
 :lol

That chick looks just like Dave Murray!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #303 on: June 07, 2017, 02:30:04 PM »

Now we know what the cut-out is for in the top of a strat.

Oh, and "that chick" is Nina Stauss of...

wait for it...

Alice Cooper's band!  :omg:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #304 on: June 07, 2017, 02:38:30 PM »

Now we know what the cut-out is for in the top of a strat.

Some great camera work by Cesar!
Is that her? Yes, I knew that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #305 on: June 07, 2017, 02:55:13 PM »
Knew exactly what that was gonna be before I clicked it. I was wondering how much longer it was going to take for someone to post that. Gregg doesn't disappoint. Iron Maidens is playing here locally later next week. Just about 20 mins from the house. Date night with mrs.jingle perhaps?

Good lord!  iOS auto-corrected mrs.jingle to "mets.jongler"  :lol :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: June 07, 2017, 02:56:20 PM »

Knew exactly what that was gonna be before I clicked it. I was wondering how much longer it was going to take for someone to post that. Gregg doesn't disappoint.

*bows*

BTW, as "titillating" as Nina and Courtney are... my favorite part of the clip is the vocalizations from the dork behind the camera.  :lol
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 03:02:02 PM by Podaar »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #307 on: June 07, 2017, 03:08:02 PM »
Just adding that POM probably has at least 3 of Bruce's best vocal performances - actually the first 3 tracks come to think of it. IMO

The only major bummer for me on this album is inaudible bass drums.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #308 on: June 07, 2017, 03:53:19 PM »

I wouldn't say "more popular."  I don't remember his exact wording, but I think the reasoning was more along the lines of Beast being the more "definitive," classic Maiden album.  And I would agree with that.  I think it made more sense for them to do Beast.  But subjectively, in terms of which album I personally like more, I would have preferred POM.  I think that's basically where Portnoy was coming from as well.
Just to verify: PoM is his personal favorite album, so that's why he would've wanted to do that one. However, he knows it is more obscure and that NotB is the most well known of their albums (I guess you could say "most popular" but also "definitive") which is why it was ultimately chosen.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #309 on: June 07, 2017, 07:55:55 PM »
I kinda have to disagree with Portnoy's reasoning. I really doubt that many people in a Dream Theater audience would've heard NOTB but not Piece of Mind. It's either both or neither IMO. Anyone familiar with Beast but not POM probably wasn't enough of a fan to particularly enjoy DT doing a cover of it anyway.  Sure NOTB might be a safe bet, but by even playing a whole album by another band they were already guaranteed to alienate some fans, so why not go all out? Piece of Mind is way closer to prog territory than Beast and as far as lineups go, I'd much rather hear Portnoy doing Nicko's drum parts than Clive's.

I also wouldn't call Piece of Mind obscure by any stretch. If that is a concern going into this thing, then you really have to consider your audience and ask why they're covering a whole Iron Maiden album in the first place.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #310 on: June 07, 2017, 08:00:43 PM »
But the iconic album is TNOTB. I totally get what he is saying.

I'd much rather hear Portnoy doing Nicko's drum parts than Clive's.

I agree with you there.

I also want to add that the last minute or two of To Tame A Land is.....exquisite. Amazing touch on the end of that track.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #311 on: June 07, 2017, 08:51:12 PM »
The way that part builds up is incredible. A great example of Steve Harris taking a lead bass role, something he doesn't really do anymore.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #312 on: June 07, 2017, 09:59:24 PM »
The way that part builds up is incredible. A great example of Steve Harris taking a lead bass role, something he doesn't really do anymore.

I'm getting ahead of myself here, but this comment reminded me of Blood on the Worlds Hands from TXF.   Arry's intro just freakin rules.   Man that album kicks ass.   It almost aggravates me that some people wont even spin it because....no Bruce.   :\

PoM was my first "new album" as a IM fan and I wasn't disappointed.   What's weird is that I dont think it was released as a single....but my local rock station KISW played Still Life as "the first new track from the new Iron Maiden album".  I remember waiting by the radio because they had announced it was coming and I recorded it on cassette.   So ya, I was excited. 

Probably my favorite IM album.  And I love every track.   Yes....even QFF.   To me, the weakest track is Die With Your Boots On.  I still like it, but it was the ONLY track that I was disappointed that it got included on LAD.  I mean, I don't remember now what the full set list was...but I would have taken almost any other song from any of the other albums but that one.   Heck, I know they played Losfer Words, and I would have preferred that to DWYBO. 

That break down riff in Where Eagles Dare is one of the coolest riffs Ive ever heard in my entire life.  Ive heard some people say it's boring, and I couldn't disagree more.   They could have played that whole section over again and taken the song to 8 minutes and I wouldn't have complained.   That was my favorite thing on the entire album to air guitar too.    And Nicko's drumming behind it really adds emphasis.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #313 on: June 08, 2017, 05:39:39 AM »
I was thinking more and more about the Where Eagles Dare solo section, I think it's great for "fake drumming" too... the whole section is addtictive and both complex but easy to remember. I agree with those that say it's pefect as it is and that the buildup to the final reprise of the verses is excellent.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #314 on: June 08, 2017, 05:56:46 AM »
I always got the feeling 'Somewhere in Time' was the most forgotten album of the classic run, even the band themselves don't tap into it much for live sets.

I like POM.  But I think i'm odd in that I personally think each of the albums from the classic run (NotB > SSoaSS) got slightly better.