Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 185120 times)

Online Mladen

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Somewhere Back In Time (2008 - 09)
« Reply #1645 on: January 15, 2018, 11:07:38 AM »
The fact that Caught Somewhere In Time was not played was very disappointing.

And Flight 666 is simply amazing. I know people that aren't into Iron Maiden that think it's great.
Here's my favorite scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beW-gcjYxHw
That might be my favorite scene in the movie as well. I almost cry every time I see it, too.

My buddy's favorite scene, on the other hand, is the one with dogs humping in Mexico.  :lol

This era was an amazing time for me, since it was the first tour I saw Maiden on. Serbia was the only European country the band performed in in 2009, if I remember correctly, so the year before we were rather skeptical that we would see the band any time soon. It was such a pleasant surprise and an exciting time. Before the gig, we hunted down the guys and found out which hotel they were staying in and eventually got Steve Harris to take photos with us. Needless to say, my hands were shaking. Imagine an 18-year-old, seeing his favorite band for the first time, having the opportunity to take a photo with a legend. It was killer.

Both the Flight 666 documentary and the concert footage are spectacular. Probably the best video release the band had ever come up with. Lets not forget how awesome the documentary on Live after death is - some of the stories crack me up, especially the explanation of Mission from 'Arry, the boys being mischievous in Canada and Bruce's rant on reality shift.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1646 on: January 15, 2018, 11:48:33 AM »
Nice experience cramx3!!! Seeing Maiden front row must be one of those unforgettable experiences that words can't properly describe  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1647 on: January 15, 2018, 12:48:29 PM »
I have nothing to compare to these memories, except those I've related back a few pages about seeing them as an opening band, and on their first headline tour.  It's awesome how this band is not only still around, but still creating "Greatest Moment of My Life" events after 35 fucking years.    AMAZING. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1648 on: January 15, 2018, 05:09:12 PM »
Awesome pics Cram!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1649 on: January 16, 2018, 01:30:35 AM »
I have nothing to compare to these memories, except those I've related back a few pages about seeing them as an opening band, and on their first headline tour.  It's awesome how this band is not only still around, but still creating "Greatest Moment of My Life" events after 35 fucking years.    AMAZING.

It's three generations or four by now. Come May, it will be 20 years since my first Maiden concert. When I started seeing them, I was a n00b that had missed Bruce's tenure in the band, and even if I don't remember such a thing, it could have well happened to have met someone at the concert saying "10 years ago I saw the Seventh Son tour", with me going "wow". Now in July I will see them again and there might be some 20 years old or younger who will see Maiden for the first time, and would look in awe to ME if I'd say "You know, ten years ago I saw them redoing the World Slavery tour show with the egyptian backdrop and everything".

Really impressive when you think of it! how many boybands or pop wonders have risen and fallen during just a couple of tour cycles of Maiden? how many Spice Girls carreers can you fit into Maiden's one?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1650 on: January 16, 2018, 07:10:10 AM »
Yeah man... my daughter is THREE years old and she wants to see Maiden next time, "as long as you protect me from the monster, dad!"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1651 on: January 16, 2018, 09:03:26 AM »
I showed my 16 year old some footage from the "Live After Death" video, and since she has an affinity for that kind of stuff (Egypt and what not) she wants to see a Maiden show.  I told her they don't tour the pyramid, but when I showed her a clip of the big floating head from the recent tour, she said "no, that'll work".   

Plus, I feel like I have to show her certain things; it's my job as a parent to make sure she knows Zeppelin, knows Floyd, knows the Beatles, sees Kiss live with the makeup... whether she likes them or not is not the point, it's music history.  I feel like seeing Bruce Dickinson live is in that category. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1652 on: January 16, 2018, 01:43:11 PM »
I showed my 16 year old some footage from the "Live After Death" video, and since she has an affinity for that kind of stuff (Egypt and what not) she wants to see a Maiden show.  I told her they don't tour the pyramid, but when I showed her a clip of the big floating head from the recent tour, she said "no, that'll work".   

Plus, I feel like I have to show her certain things; it's my job as a parent to make sure she knows Zeppelin, knows Floyd, knows the Beatles, sees Kiss live with the makeup... whether she likes them or not is not the point, it's music history.  I feel like seeing Bruce Dickinson live is in that category.

I took my 14 y/o to see Maiden this summer. He's not into them, but was curious about the whole thing. He was more than will to don the attire. What was cool to me was that I saw Maiden when I was 14!
After the show, he asked me what the singers name was, and remarked how sweaty he was and how much energy he had.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1653 on: January 16, 2018, 01:52:27 PM »
thats awesome

My gf was over yesterday morning and knocked over my Ed Force One model I have which lead to a discussion about what Ed Force One was.  I've talked to her a lot about it before, but usually in random comments.  She was really amazed by the whole thing, including Bruce Air.  Like how awesome is that?  What other band can offer something like that? 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1654 on: January 16, 2018, 02:05:47 PM »

I took my 14 y/o to see Maiden this summer. He's not into them, but was curious about the whole thing. He was more than will to don the attire. What was cool to me was that I saw Maiden when I was 14!
After the show, he asked me what the singers name was, and remarked how sweaty he was and how much energy he had.

I saw Sabbath at that venue this past summer (or was it two summers ago?  The End tour.). I love seeing shows there.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1655 on: January 16, 2018, 02:09:03 PM »
If you can get in the first few section it's a great place to see a show.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1656 on: January 18, 2018, 09:00:13 AM »
I don’t know if this was mentioned while talking about Bruce solo shows and bands, but I’ve only discovered this now:
https://www.facebook.com/craigblundelldrums/posts/1577622962327482
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1657 on: January 18, 2018, 06:28:15 PM »
Who the F is Craig Blundell?

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1658 on: January 18, 2018, 06:36:59 PM »
Who the F is Craig Blundell?

:D :D sorry, because there's of a lot of fans of Steven Wilson here, I thought Craig didn't need introduction. Craig is touring with Steven the last 2 years (I think) and recorded 4 tracks on his last album.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1659 on: January 18, 2018, 06:38:32 PM »
Who the F is Steven Wilson?  ;D

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1660 on: January 18, 2018, 10:43:40 PM »
Nice to read all the fond memories! I especially like hearing about those who have taken their kids to see Maiden. Really cool how its become a family affair. Some really cool pictures too. I was not able to see the Somewhere Back In Time tour. That's one I really regret missing.

It angers me to no end that they pretty much blow off that album, being my favorite of their's, and one that has a great number of tracks - especially the title track and all of Adrian Smith's submissions. I would hope one day they'd finally give this album it's due, but as you said, it looks like any hope for that to happen is gone. I just wish someone would beat some sense into Steve so that he'd include more of the deeper cuts from that album as well as other tracks from their catalog that have been cast aside.
Actually I'd guess Steve is not the reason for SIT being ignored in the setlists. It was revealed recently that the setlist is primarily decided by Bruce, Steve, and Rod Smallwood. It's no secret that SIT was not a good period for Bruce and I get the impression that he doesn't really care for most of the album. It is also more of a cult classic, maybe not so much something the casual fans would recognize, so I doubt Rod is pulling for anything on there. Furthermore, I could also see Adrian being hesitant to play some of the songs because it's so hard to replicate the sound of that album and he's known to be a perfectionist. He also had a huge hand in the sound of that album, more so than any other Maiden album.

==========================

Anyway, lots to discuss here. First my general thoughts on the tour: Like I said, I wasn't able to attend. However I do remember this being the first tour where I was really tuned into what they were doing thanks to the internet. I eventually discovered the official Iron Maiden forum (the free one which no longer exists) and this great platform called YouTube was starting to become a game changer for live concert videos. I remember watching a ton of fan shot footage of the tour. I especially remember being surprised that not only were they playing Moonchild, but it was with the acoustic intro. That seemed different. I hadn't discovered setlist.fm yet so I pretty much found out they played it by finding a video of it on YouTube. There were also regular updates on the website and lots of news footage of the plane. It was a really exciting time.

That being said, among the reasons I regret not getting to see the tour, the setlist is not one of them. I can think of maybe two Maiden setlists since the reunion that were truly underwhelming. SBIT is one of them and the second is coming later. I have a hard time complaining because a lot of the set really was a treat, but it just felt like they didn't dig as deep as they could've. The promotional material really made it seem like they were going to focus heavily on Powerslave, Somewhere in Time, and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son, but unlike the Early Days tour they pretty much went with what you'd expect from those albums. Even Moonchild wasn't that exciting because I always assumed (perhaps naively) that a Seventh Son themed tour would come eventually. It was a nice surprise, but they really should've done something from Somewhere In Time. There were just a lot of missed opportunities. Even Stranger In a Strange Land would've been good. I also think of all the tours since 1999, this was the best time to do something really out of left field. Losfer Words would've been cool or even a song from Powerslave that was never played live. In the grand scheme of things, the only thing that makes this era worth going back to is Rime of the Ancient Mariner, and even that is probably going to be played live again before they retire. The Early Days and Maiden England both had several songs that were obviously only going to be played on that tour and then probably never again. SBIT had none.

It's still fun to see the band's energy and the passionate fans they were playing to. Maiden really start to feel larger than life again on this tour and, like I said, it was an exciting time to be a fan.

Flight 666 is OK. I have to say a lot of it is actually kind of boring. This isn't really anybody's fault, Sam Dunn did a great job on it and it's pretty much what you'd expect with a documentary about Iron Maiden. And therein lies the problem. They're all pretty quiet guys for the most part and lead relaxed lives offstage. It starts to feel repetitive after awhile. Watch them ride the plane, watch them get mobbed by fans, watch them get ready for the gig, watch them perform a bit, watch them drive back to the hotel, and repeat. There are some moments of sight seeing and leisure time but I just didn't find it that interesting. The best parts are the performance footage (which you might as well watch the bonus DVD for) and the footage of the fans. Seeing the passionate fans around the globe is definitely the highlight of the film and that never gets old.

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1661 on: January 19, 2018, 01:12:58 AM »
I still remember a quick interview with Bruce after the reunion and he was asked his thoughts about the albums, when asked "Somewhere in time?" the answer was "No thought in particular!"

So I agree with Mosh when he says that it's hard to play songs off an album which are hard to replicate to begin with, and with the lead singer that was absolutely uninterested in the recording of that album (because of his burnout from the World Slavery Tour and the rejection of his ideas for the album).

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1662 on: January 19, 2018, 01:24:11 AM »
The setlist was predictable, but other than one song (FotD), it was an amazing show. In fact, I rank this show very highly out of all of the concerts that I've been to over the years. Mosh, it's a shame that you missed it. I think that you would have really enjoyed it.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online Mladen

« Reply #1663 on: January 19, 2018, 10:32:25 AM »
In the grand scheme of things, the only thing that makes this era worth going back to is Rime of the Ancient Mariner, and even that is probably going to be played live again before they retire. The Early Days and Maiden England both had several songs that were obviously only going to be played on that tour and then probably never again. SBIT had none.
I don't think Rime of the Ancient Mariner will ever be played again.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1664 on: January 19, 2018, 11:08:41 AM »
I'd say it's possible.  If they do a final tour, they would almost have to pick at least one of their epics to be the centerpiece of the set.  It's possible it would be Rime.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1665 on: January 19, 2018, 11:52:03 AM »
Just a counter argument for the setlist... the original one was way more predictable. Sure, it had all the very best songs they had to offer at the time so it doesn't matter, but it was very formulaic: two new songs, Piece of Mind songs, more new songs, climax songs to finish and classic anthems for the encore.

What I would change in the Somewhere Back in Time setlist? well, obviously Fear of the Dark with literally anything else, with the seven minutes song slot available used for Phantom of the Opera (nah, scrap that, it was played in the Early Days tour and would have been in Maiden England - play 22 Acacia Avenue instead, which wasn't played in the Early Days and was played at some dates back in 1984-85) or Caught Somewhere in Time, which would have been a nice encore opener, but then we would have never gotten Moonchild with the live and acoustic intro...

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1666 on: January 19, 2018, 08:35:44 PM »
Just a counter argument for the setlist... the original one was way more predictable. Sure, it had all the very best songs they had to offer at the time so it doesn't matter, but it was very formulaic: two new songs, Piece of Mind songs, more new songs, climax songs to finish and classic anthems for the encore.

World Slavery? Definitely not the most exciting 80's set, although the setlist for the European tour was more exciting than what ended up on Live After Death. Songs being rotated in and out such as Murders in the Rue Morgue and Children of the Damned, plus five new songs (including Losfer Words). It was a bit of a let down after 7 songs each from Number of the Beast and Piece of Mind, but at least Powerslave and Rime ate up a huge chunk of set time. One more Powerslave song would've been nice, but other than that I can't really complain too much about it.

I would've dropped Fear of the Dark, maybe for Phantom, but they ended up adding Phantom on the 2009 leg anyway and Fear of the Dark still stayed. Instead of Moonchild I would've done something from SIT, Caught Somewhere In Time would've been perfect for this tour although even Stranger In a Strange Land would've been an improvement. Finally, something else from Powerslave. Losfer Words would've been fine, but Flash Of the Blade is perfect for the three guitar lineup.

I'd say it's possible.  If they do a final tour, they would almost have to pick at least one of their epics to be the centerpiece of the set.  It's possible it would be Rime.
In the grand scheme of things, the only thing that makes this era worth going back to is Rime of the Ancient Mariner, and even that is probably going to be played live again before they retire. The Early Days and Maiden England both had several songs that were obviously only going to be played on that tour and then probably never again. SBIT had none.
I don't think Rime of the Ancient Mariner will ever be played again.

My thinking is that, like Rush, they won't do a "farewell tour" but it'll be pretty obvious when it's the last tour. They will probably want to play Rime one last time. I could even see it appearing on the upcoming Legacy of the Beast tour.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline stargazer18

« Reply #1667 on: January 20, 2018, 06:59:53 AM »
I became a fan right after the World Slavery Tour came through my city. I didn't check out the set list before the show but figured I might get a chance to see a few more classics live to add to my list. It was a great show, well attended and the crowd seemed to really be into it. Bonus for me was seeing Aces High, Powerslave and Revelations live as I had not seen them play these before. Sadly, Piece of Mind only had two songs represented, the Trooper and Revelations. I would have gladly seen them replace Fear of the Dark with, say, Where Eagles Dare or even the Flight of Icarus.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1668 on: January 20, 2018, 12:38:53 PM »
SBIT was the first time I saw Maiden, in 09.  I had been a fan since before I started primary school, so like 3 or 4 years old.  I was not disappointed, but I would've taken any setlist at that point.  It was their first time here since 92 or something ( I would've been two years old).  We got the second leg, so no HCW Moonchild, Clairvoyant or Revelations, but I was extremely happy with Phantom and COTD (although, they came back for TBOS and played COTD, so that was kind of a bummer).  I'd still kill to see Revelations live.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1669 on: January 29, 2018, 08:25:01 PM »
Update is coming, hopefully this week. Like the albums being discussed, these writeups are getting longer and more detailed. At the same time, school is starting back up and things are getting busy again. Thanks again for the patience.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1670 on: January 29, 2018, 08:27:18 PM »
All good. Take your time, Josh.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1671 on: January 30, 2018, 01:06:17 AM »
All good. Take your time, Josh.

Indeed! Also, not that I really did it so far, but the wait for the updates often inspired me to try to revive the discussion with other details or memories. You can never run out of things to discuss with a band like this  :hat

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1672 on: January 30, 2018, 08:57:15 PM »
The Final Frontier (2010)

After spending two years looking back, it was time for Maiden to move forward yet again with their fifteenth studio album. Shortly following the Somewhere Back In Time tour, the band went to Paris to write the album. The first thing that was conceived for was actually the title, which came from Bruce Dickinson. Toward the end of the tour, Bruce suggested to Steve that they call the next album The Final Frontier due to the rabid speculation it would inspire.The title would also lend itself to a sci-fi theme that the band had explored previously in its history. It would be new but familiar territory, a theme that would seem to dominate the making of this album.

Nearly the entire album was written and rehearsed in Paris. The songwriting partnerships found on A Matter of Life and Death seemed to carry over with Steve Harris having a writing credit on every song (including one song entirely credited to him) and Adrian Smith contributing a huge bulk of the music. In fact, Smith has his largest contribution ever on a Maiden album with six out of the ten songs having his name attached. Janick Gers has writing credits on two songs, one short rocker and one epic, while Dave Murray’s sole contribution is the epic The Man Who Would Be King. Bruce provides lyrics on four songs (ironically not the title track), which is close to his normal contribution on a Maiden album. 

The band had two weeks in Paris to write the album and mostly worked off demos that were brought in by the guitar players. The rehearsals proved to be very productive with the band being able to run through 7 of the 10 songs by the end. The band meant to rehearse The Man Who Would Be King as the eighth song but, unfortunately, the Paris sessions came to an abrupt stop when Janick cut his hand on a door. He was rushed to the hospital and had to undergo surgery on his hands and fingers, meaning the rehearsals would have to come to an end. The remaining two songs were The Alchemist and When the Wild Wind Blows, which had not yet been completed by that point.

Once Janick recovered, it was off to the studio to record with Kevin Shirley once again at the helm. This time, the band decided on a familiar setting to record the album: Compass Point Studios in the Bahamas. Compass Point, of course, was the location where countless classic albums were recorded, including Piece of Mind, Powerslave, and about half of Somewhere In Time. The band felt that by visiting a familiar location, they would settle in quicker and be more comfortable overall. As it turned out, the studio was seemingly exactly as they had left it in 1986. It was recorded in the typical quick modern Maiden format of devoting just a day to each song. A few days were spent setting up the recording room and then the band quickly began work starting on Coming Home and ending with When the Wild Wind Blows. After basic tracks for each song were recorded, guitar solos, harmonies, and other embellishments were cut. Finally, with the help of Michael Kenney, Steve Harris recorded some synth lines to top it all off. Although Bruce was present in Nassau during the recording, he ended up redoing all of his vocals at Kevin Shirley’s home studio in California after the production wrapped up.

Musically, The Final Frontier is very much a continuation of where the band was headed with A Matter of Life and Death. The prog rock influence continues to grow to the point of almost becoming the dominant style. By this point, even several members of the band (as well as Kevin Shirley) began to describe Iron Maiden as a Progressive Rock band rather than a Metal band. There’s still debate among fans over exactly how to describe the band, but it’s largely agreed that The Final Frontier is the proggiest album since Somewhere In Time. Despite having such a prog influence, there’s very little on the album that is actually new ground for Maiden. Nearly every song is reminiscent of something Maiden had done before. The Talisman features an extended acoustic opening similar to The Legacy, the title track is a short rocker in the mold of every opener since Futureal, and Starblind continues the combination of psychedelic sounds and heavy riffing found in Lord of Light. That’s not to say there isn’t anything new here, however. On this album the band experiment with backmasked tracks in The Man Who Would Be King, more layered arrangements throughout, and of course there’s the highly experimental album intro which is unlike anything they had done before. That being said, on the whole, The Final Frontier serves as a sort of summary of the modern Maiden sound. A punctuation mark to the last ten years.

While there were many rumors that The Final Frontier would be another concept album, or another album with a running theme like A Matter of Life and Death, this was ultimately not the case. Unlike its predecessor, The Final Frontier is very lyrically diverse. There are songs about alchemists, pilgrims, current events, and, of course, space. That being said, there are recurring themes that appear on the album, such as death and the afterlife. Although these are themes that tend to crop up in every Maiden album, so it doesn’t seem like there was a deliberate focus on anything in particular. It is worth mentioning, and members of the band have said as much, that as they get older and the end of their long career draws nearer, these things are naturally on their mind more often and show up more in their lyrics.

While a running theme isn’t apparent in the lyrics, there is an obvious pattern in the sequencing of the songs when looking at the track lengths. On this album, the short songs and the long songs were grouped separately. It almost has the vibe of a double album (although the actual sequencing on the vinyl version does not follow this). The Final Frontier starts with short accessible tracks that in a lot of ways resemble classic Maiden before switching gears entirely to the more progressive and dense epics. This was a controversial move. Some fans liked the division and the way the album was essentially in two “parts”, while other fans found the album to get tedious in the second half and would’ve preferred shorter tracks to balance it out. Regardless of the sequencing, there is more of a balance between short and long songs than there was on A Matter of Life and Death, in addition to a wider variety of musical and lyrical content. So it’s safe to say that The Final Frontier has something for almost every Maiden fan.

On the more accessible first half of the album, there’s a nice blend of heavy hitting rockers, ballads, and more matured mid paced tunes. This portion of the album is also heavily dominated by Adrian Smith, with four of the five songs having Smith in the credits. The album opener is technically two seperate pieces, as the ellipses in the title implies. Satellite 15 is perhaps the most experimental thing the band has ever released. Most of what you hear on the piece is actually a demo created by Adrian Smith, complete with bass synthesizers and drum machines. Adrian’s original intention was for Maiden to eventually record the demo as a band, as was always the case, but Steve decided he liked the atmosphere of the demo and insisted that they keep it. Being a notorious perfectionist, Adrian was against the decision but was ultimately overruled. So Bruce recorded the vocal passages and no other changes were made. This was another controversial aspect of the album as the piece is quite obviously a demo. The drum machine even has a very audible “skip” during the finale. Most fans seemed to enjoy it though and it was exciting to hear Maiden doing something different with what was possibly their most daring opening to an album.

On the total opposite end of the spectrum, the proper title track is exactly what fans have come to expect for a Maiden opener in 2010. Another collaboration between Adrian and Steve, The Final Frontier is a driving rocker in the vein of the last three Maiden openers. This time the song almost has a 70s classic rock vibe with the simple guitar riff and mid paced tempo. The lyrics obviously have a sci fi theme to them, describing the thought process of an astronaut who is about to die alone in space. While Satellite 15 describes pure panic, The Final Frontier shows the protagonist reaching the stage of acceptance of his fate.   

The other three short songs that Adrian brought in really run the gamut of the more straightforward side of Maiden. One of the three, Mother of Mercy, has the feel of a leftover from A Matter of Life and Death. It features a solo intro followed by heavier steady paced verses and a soaring chorus, a structure that was found on much of the previous album. To add to that, Steve Harris’ lyrics are about a soldier of war and broach many of the same topics found in songs like These Colours Don’t Run and For the Greater Good of God. The final two featured the classic Smith/Harris/Dickinson combination. El Dorado, the album’s lead single, is one of the most classic Maiden sounding tracks that this lineup has produced. It prominently and shamelessly features the classic Maiden gallop that had become a sort of rarity in the band’s modern output. The instrumental section also features an intense guitar tradeoff that includes all three players as soloists. The lyrics, penned by Bruce, describe a conman selling his “snake oil’, seemingly inspired by scheming politicians and the fairly recent stock market crash of 2008. Coming Home takes things in an entirely different direction, being a subtle ballad filled with guitar harmonies, 80s styled back-to-back solos from Dave and Adrian, and aviation themed lyrics from Bruce. Prior to Dance of Death, ballads from Maiden were fairly rare, now they had three albums in a row with ballads. Coming Home marks a pretty clear progression from Journeyman and Out of the Shadows with prominent acoustic guitars and a huge live ready chorus.

The last of the album’s short songs is one of Janick’s two contributions to the album. Just like on A Matter of Life and Death, Janick brought in a short rocker and an epic with an extended acoustic intro. The rocker was composed in a similar way to The Pilgrim, with Janick bringing in a demo that was then arranged into a song by Steve, but this time Bruce contributed the lyrics. The title for the song was originally The House of Dr. Dee but then changed to The Alchemist, with no relation to Bruce Dickinson’s solo song of the same name. Bruce had an instrumental demo to work with and came out with a song about John Dee, a mathematician who had a particular interest in alchemy. It’s a subject that was studied extensively in The Chemical Wedding, but Bruce takes this particular song in a completely different direction. There is less discussion of alchemy and more recounting of the character’s life. Musically, The Alchemist is probably the most straightforward song on the album (it is also the shortest). It’s a fast paced riff driven rocker that is reminiscent of Janick’s contributions in the 90s. It is a nice way to close out the first half of the album before things get proggier and less accessible.

The “epic” side of the album kicks off with two more Smith compositions. Both Isle of Avalon and Starblind came from Adrian’s own demos that were subsequently worked into full songs with Steve Harris. Both are also arguably the proggiest tracks Maiden have ever recorded. Both feature sudden and unexpected shifts in dynamics, long exploratory guitar solos, and odd time signatures. The instrumental section to Isle of Avalon even sounds like something Rush would’ve come up with. Although both are very unique, Starblind feels like a continuation of the style that Steve and Adrian developed on Lord of Light, the song has also been compared to Infinite Dreams. The two songs also seem to mirror each other lyrically. Steve wrote the lyrics for Avalon and Bruce wrote the lyrics for Starblind. The former details Celtic myths of immortality while the latter takes a more agnostic approach describing the lack of an afterlife.

Following these two heavy hitters are a pair of epics from the other two Maiden guitarists (one from each). The Talisman is Janick’s second contribution to the album and is a collaboration with Steve Harris. Musically, the song drew a lot of comparisons to The Legacy. Both feature an extended acoustic intro followed by heaviness, Both are in the key of D and make great use of alternate tunings. The comparisons really end there though, as The Talisman is clearly its own entity. Where The Legacy’s intro had a nursery rhyme feel, The Talisman is much darker and plays more like a sea chanty. When the song gets going, it’s far heavier and much more fast paced than The Legacy. Also unlike The Legacy, once it gets heavy it stays that way for the remainder of the song. The song is also lyrically far removed from The Legacy and is actually closer to The Pilgrim in that regard. The song details a group of pilgrims travelling by ship. This time Steve decided to describe their struggles on the ship and their near failure, somewhat similar to A Salty Dog by Procol Harum (a song that Steve was no doubt influenced by in some way or another). Despite being a 9 minute epic with an extended acoustic opening, The Talisman is one of the heaviest and most energetic songs on the album, making it an obvious choice for the live set.

From Dave Murray comes one of his most ambitious Maiden contributions: The Man Who Would Be King. It is one of the most complicated songs on the album, with many different moving parts and guitar melodies. It also contains some sonic experimentation, most notably a backwards guitar solo from Dave. The idea to backmask the guitar solo came from Kevin Shirley. When presented with the idea, Dave, a big Jimi Hendrix fan, loved it. There was much speculation about what this song would be about before the release of the album. Some pointed to a film of the same name starring Sean Connery, others pointed to the Dio song of the same name, and some pointed out that perhaps it’s linked the final line in Revelations. Ultimately, none of these theories were correct. Steve’s lyrics instead cover the plight of a man who has committed murder and his subsequent quest for redemption. 

The album closes out with the obligatory Steve Harris epic. When the Wild Wind Blows is a song that Steve actually began working on back in the 90s, but it was never completed. Years later, he dug out an old demo and sought to finally complete it. The other members of the band themselves didn’t get to hear the final product until it was completely recorded. When it came time to record, Steve presented the song in separate parts. They would learn a small part of the song, cut it, and then move on to the next part. Kevin Shirley was then left with the task of reassembling the recordings into a single coherent recording. The result was an eleven minute monster epic that became the band’s third longest song, behind The Sign of the Cross and Rime of the Ancient Mariner. It was also their third to surpass the 10 minute mark. Needless to say, expectations for this song were especially high prior to its release. It seemed to meet those expectations for the most part, although it did catch many listeners off guard by being so straightforward. The song stays at a consistent tempo and dynamic for the most part, foregoing complex musical sections and sudden unexpected shifts in favor of simply letting the music accompany the story. It was a surprisingly Dickinson approach to songwriting. The lyrics are indeed a central part of this song, being a storytelling epic in the vein of Dance of Death and Rime. The song is based on the 1986 animated film When the Wind Blows, about an elderly couple who try to survive the fallout of a nuclear bomb. Unlike songs like Rime or To Tame a Land, the source material here only serves as inspiration for the initial idea before Steve takes it in his own direction. It is without a doubt one of his most emotional lyrics and features some of his most effective storytelling. It’s a more than appropriate way to close out the album and was accepted by many fans as the band’s swan song if this was to be the band’s final album (of course that was not the case).

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1673 on: January 30, 2018, 08:57:36 PM »
Part 2
At a whopping 76 minutes, The Final Frontier pushed the boundaries of a single CD and was Maiden’s longest to date. It was also among their most musically and sonically complex. Consequently, the post production process was going to be more complicated than usual. Many parts had to be redone (including the vocals, as previously mentioned) and the mixing process required extra care to detail. Typically the mixing is handled by Kevin Shirley and Steve Harris with little to no input from any of the other members. However, since he had so much involvement in the writing of the album, Adrian was more present this time around. This led to a few disagreements, being that Adrian is a perfectionist who prefers a polished sound while Steve and Kevin typically opt for a raw “live” sound. According to Kevin, Adrian was mostly happy with the mix but toward the end suggested several tweaks, to the point where Steve eventually put his foot down and asserted that the album was finished and it would not be remixed. While he has never explicitly voiced dissatisfaction with The Final Frontier, interviews from that time period make it fairly obvious that the album would’ve been different had he been in charge instead of Steve. But as usual, Steve makes the final decisions in the band. The album was mastered three times, but once again Steve decided that he preferred the “unmastered” version so the album was ultimately released exactly the way it was heard in the studio without any added EQ or compression.

The album was completed in March, with plenty of time for release ahead of a Summer tour, but Maiden instead decided to take the Dance of Death approach and release the album after the summer tour. Dates for various European festivals as well as one of the band’s most extensive North American tour ever were announced in early 2010 along with the title of the new album and a glimpse at the new Eddie. As Bruce Dickinson intended when he suggested the title to Steve Harris, the title set off a firestorm of speculation in the online Maiden communities. While the press release didn’t indicate that The Final Frontier would be the band’s last tour or album, fans still wondered if this would be the case. To add to these rumors, an interview with Steve Harris had circulated where he stated that he always imagined that Maiden would record fifteen albums, and The Final Frontier was to be that fifteenth album. It’s still unclear whether he meant that or was just being humorous. When finally asked about their longevity directly, the band members were characteristically cryptic in their answers. They typically stated that while they did not intend on retiring or making The Final Frontier their last album, they were reaching old age and would have to quit at some point whether they like it or not. No promises were made, but the door clearly also wasn’t being shut on anything. Eight years, one album, and soon to be three tours later, there still seems to be no clear end in sight for the band. 

A week before the start of the tour, a more detailed press release was put out with the album artwork and a free download of a song from the album, El Dorado. The album artwork was done by frequent collaborator Melvyn Grant, his third album cover for the band. This time Eddie took an almost unrecognizable monstrous form, which drew some criticism from purist fans. On the positive side, it had the classic comic book feel of the 80s covers, which was a welcoming sight (it’s ironic that Melvyn was initially selected back in 1992 because Maiden were trying to move away from that comic book style). The single artwork for El Dorado took the comic book vibe even further by emulating the cover of a comic book. Despite having its own artwork, the single for El Dorado was never given a physical retail release, making The Final Frontier the first Maiden album not to have a physical single or b-sides. While it was disappointing not to have new Maiden b-sides, it was a sign of the times to go completely digital apart from the actual album. The release of the single and album artwork was punctuated by the band’s appearance on the classic radio program Rockline later that day, where they took questions from fans and discussed the new album and tour. With the Maiden hype machine back in full swing, they were ready to hit the road again.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1674 on: January 30, 2018, 09:00:09 PM »
The Final Frontier Tour Leg 1 (2010)

Like the Gimme Ed Til I’m Dead Tour, The Final Frontier tour was meant to promote the album before it was even released. The tour proved once again that Maiden were no longer a band who toured to promote albums, but an a band that made albums to promote their tours. Unlike Gimme Ed, however, the setlist would not be a “greatest hits” that spanned their entire career. Considering the band had just finished a tour that focused almost exclusively on the 80s, it wouldn’t make sense to do that twice in a row. Instead, in typical Maiden fashion, they made the controversial decision of focusing the setlist on the reunion period. Since the band hadn’t done an extensive USA tour during a new album cycle since Brave New World, this would be the first time most American fans got to experience many of these songs live. However, since most American fans didn’t care about Maiden’s output post 1988, the reception was rather mixed. Many fans complained that Run To the Hills and The Trooper were absent and that the majority of the setlist was made up of songs they didn’t know. On the other hand, hardcore fans and fans of their new material were thrilled. The opening night in Dallas featured 11 songs in a row all from 2000 or later, followed by just five “classics” (Fear of the Dark, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Iron Maiden, The Number of the Beast, and Running Free). Unfortunately, Brighter Than a Thousand Suns was immediately dropped following this song and replaced with Wrathchild, as the band felt a more energetic song was needed there. Anyone who attended this tour could immediately understand their reasoning, as much of the audience was already clearly bored by this point in the set, even though it was only two songs in. This was not the only change made to the set. For the first few dates of the tour, they switched back and forth between Paschendale and Dance of Death, before eventually settling on Dance of Death for the rest of the tour. This made the Dallas show very special, as it was the only show that featured both songs before they were dropped (and they haven’t been played since).

The rest of the setlist had a decent balance of songs from all three of the reunion era albums. The show opened with The Wicker Man and Ghost of the Navigator, invoking nostalgia for the now ten year old Brave New World. Also from Brave New World were the title track and Blood Brothers (which was dedicated to the recently deceased Ronnie James Dio). Brave New World was the most represented album on the set, which made sense as it was still probably the most revered and well known reunion era album. Next was Dance of Death, which had three songs performed at each show. In addition to the previously mentioned rotation of Paschendale and the title track, the band performed No More Lies and Wildest Dreams. Finally, three songs were initially performed from A Matter of Life and Death but this was narrowed down to two after Brighter Than a Thousand Suns was dropped. These Colours Don’t Run and The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg were predictable choices, with one being a single and the other being one of the song’s more live friendly and accessible tracks. Of course El Dorado was also performed to give fans a taste of the upcoming new album.

The stage set was one of their most elaborate. It was designed as a space station complete with light up backdrops and giant radio towers. There were also drapes that depicted the new artwork to go along with the album, in addition to the older artwork drapes. The initial leg of the tour featured just one Eddie, designed after the album cover, who came on stage with his own guitar, turning the three amigos into the four amigos.

Following the USA tour, the band did some additional dates in the European festival circuit. Even though European audiences tend to be more receptive to the band’s newer material, it was still a risky move to skip the classics in favor of the new material since they were performing in front of festival crowds and many casual fans. Maiden were always a band that stuck to their guns, and this was no exception.

Those who experienced this short tour got a very special experience. Nothing from this tour was ever officially released and there were many songs that have not been played live since (and likely will never be played live again). Further, to this day not a single song from A Matter of Life and Death has appeared on a live release. In some ways this was a more interesting set than 2011, so it is unfortunate that it was never immortalized. For those who like modern Maiden, this tour was a must. It also served as a nice reminder that, despite the success of the Somewhere Back In Time tour, Maiden were still about new music and moving forward, not becoming a nostalgia act.

Like the first leg of the A Matter of Life and Death tour, no professionally shot footage exists and bootlegs are extremely sparse. Unlike the first leg of the AMOLAD tour, there also isn’t anything in the way of soundboard bootlegs. So the well is pretty dry on the 2010 tour, which is unfortunate because, again like the AMOLAD tour, it was a very unique setlist that deserved to be immortalized. That all being said, I’d like to point your attention to two full length videos on YouTube. Neither are fantastic, but this is a classic case of “beggars can’t be choosers.” The first is from an early show on the tour, one of the few where Paschendale is present.  It’s probably the best sounding video of the tour, although that isn’t saying much. Most of the video is taken from the screens so you get some nice shots. The next is Madison Square Garden, which has a notably worse sound, but it’s also taken from the screen feeds and is the closest thing to a “proshot” video from this tour. On the other hand, Dance of Death is present instead of Paschendale.

San Antonio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xVFxGLHfhc&

Madison Square Garden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVe1uoRCa5k&

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1675 on: January 30, 2018, 09:00:45 PM »
The Final Frontier Release (2010)

The Final Frontier was actually released while the band were still on tour (although no additional songs from the album were added to the setlist). Also released while they were on tour was a music video for the album’s title track. The Final Frontier music video was released with heavy hype and was probably their most cinematic and high budget ever. It featured a story, CGI effects, and even dialog. The music video also served as the premier of the title track to The Final Frontier (minus Satellite 15).

About a month later, the album was finally released. The Final Frontier became the second album to have a deluxe edition in addition to the standard version. This time, the deluxe “Mission Edition” came in a steel box and included access to web content. Those who purchased this version could put the CD into their computer and access exclusive web content, including a flash game, a selection of wallpapers, and a short interview on the making of the album. The interview was nice but not nearly as insightful as the documentaries that were made for the previous two albums. The idea of hosting the bonus content online was an interesting one and yet another example of Maiden trying to stay with the times, but ultimately it was probably one of their more ill advised ideas. The website that hosted the bonus content has since been taken down, which renders the “Mission Edition” pretty much worthless, other than the different packaging. It also means that the documentary is no longer available, although luckily it was uploaded to YouTube (not by the band).

The decision to delay the album until after the first leg of the tour must have been effective as The Final Frontier became one of the band’s most successful albums to date. At every show on the Summer tour prior to the band performing El Dorado, Bruce announced that a new album was coming and asked that the fans get it to #1. It worked and the album reached #1 in 21 countries, including their home in the UK. It was their fourth UK #1 after Number of the Beast, Seventh Son, and Fear of the Dark. The album did astonishingly well in the USA, peaking at #4 on the Billboard chart which was their highest charting ever in the USA. The success of the album was a testament to the band’s unusual longevity and ability to maintain their relevance 30 years into their career. Fan reception was also mostly positive. Those who enjoyed the band’s increasingly proggy direction were thrilled with The Final Frontier and those who felt that the songs on A Matter of Life and Death were a little too plodding were able to appreciate some of this album’s shorter songs. The Final Frontier seemed to have something for everyone.

The album even brought some mainstream attention to the band, likely bolstered by all the press they were receiving on the Somewhere Back In Time tour. El Dorado later won Grammy for “Best Metal Performance.” For most fans and even the band, this distinguishment was not that meaningful, but it was still exciting to see Maiden finally being given much deserved recognition. The band also made the rare move of releasing a promo single exclusively to radio: Coming Home. The song didn’t receive any airplay that I’m aware of, but the single release showed an unusual amount of mainstream confidence from the band. It certainly showed that they put more worth into their new music than many of their contemporaries.

The Final Frontier Tour Leg 2 (2011)

On the heels of The Final Frontier’s release, a proper world tour was announced for the following year. The band would once again travel with Ed Force One piloted by Bruce Dickinson, but this time the plane would be redecorated to fit the The Final Frontier theme. The tour was also give the nickname “Around the World In 66 Days” as a reference to the length and scope of the tour. Like the Somewhere Back In Time Tour, the use of a plane to carry the band and crew would allow them to visit new locations and regions that were typically ignored by the band. The tour kicked off in Moscow before a short run through Indonesia and then down to Australia. It was the first time Australia got to experience two Maiden tours in a row. The band then hopped around the globe, going from South Korea to Italy to South America. They were supposed to make a stop in Japan but were unfortunately caught in the middle of the devastating earthquake and were forced to detour at the last minute. All this was documented in a documentary included with the DVD for this tour, which will be discussed later. The tour then closed off with a run through Europe and, finally, a much awaited tour of the UK which was their most extensive in quite some time. It was still nothing compared to the UK tours that they embarked on in the 80s, but it was a solid run compared to other recent UK tours.

The stage set was more or less the same as the previous leg, but with some additions. The Satellite 15 intro tape came with an accompanying video, new drapes based on the album artwork and images from the booklet were added, and there was also a second Eddie. This new Eddie was a large inflatable in the vein of the Virtual XI and Somewhere On Tour Eddies. That being said, the Eddie wasn’t present for the entire tour as there was no way to fit in the cargo on the plane. It was used on the European tour when the band switched to a traditional bus tour and it was also shipped to South America for the shows being filmed.  Of course the walk on Eddie from the previous leg was also present at all the shows.

As is the case with any Maiden tour, there was a lot of speculation leading up to the tour about the setlist. This tour had an extra amount of speculation due to the fact that the last Maiden album was played in its entirety. Would playing the entire new album live become a tradition going forward? Even if not, it was always exciting to try and guess what songs would be played from the new album. Leading up to the tour, the band tempered expectations in interviews. Bruce gave an interview where he said they would perform “four or five” new songs but definitely not the entire album. This was somewhat disappointing, especially the prospect of playing just four songs. In the end, five songs were selected, which was still the smallest selection of songs since the Fear of the Dark tour (which also only had five songs played). On the other hand, among these songs were the two longest on the album: The Talisman and When the Wild Wind Blows. The Talisman was a song that members of the band routinely hinted at in interviews and When the Wild Wind Blows was an obvious choice being the Harris epic. Of course El Dorado was also expected as it was the single and played on the previous tour, and Maiden almost always play the album opener. Coming Home was another expected selection as members of the band frequently voiced their fondness for it and it had become an instant favorite among fans. Overall, it was one of their more predictable selections.

The rest of the setlist was made up of songs throughout their career with a heavier emphasis on the “classics.” Three songs from the reunion era carried over from the previous tour: Dance of Death, The Wicker Man, and Blood Brothers. All of the classics from the previous tour were still present with the addition of 2 Minutes To Midnight, The Trooper, and The Evil That Men Do. In other words, they stuck to the usual suspects. Surprisingly, however, Run To the HIlls remained out of the setlist.

The 2011 portion of the tour was another success for the band and showed that the popularity of Somewhere Back In Time was not a fluke, but a continuation of what was now over 10 years of momentum. Each tour was bigger than the last and even with a tour that was dedicated to mostly new material, people were still flocking to Maiden shows. The Flight 666 concept grew even larger and continued to expand the scope of an Iron Maiden tour. Fortunately, this was all immortalized a year after the start of the tour with the release of. . .

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1676 on: January 30, 2018, 09:01:00 PM »

En Vivo! (2011)

Pleased with their work on Flight 666, the band once again recruited Sam Dunn and his crew at Banger Films to chronicle the 2011 Final Frontier tour. Also likely as a reaction to the footage shot in South America on that tour, the band decided to record the next DVD there. Shows in Buenos Aires and Santiago were selected for filming with the band ultimately deciding to use the Santiago performance. In some ways, and the cover artwork reflects this, En Vivo would be a sort of successor to Rock In Rio. It would capture the band’s ability to still command huge crowds, it would show the dedication of their South American fans, and it would show that there was still an emphasis on moving forward artistically. The video would be the band’s most monumental to date, utilizing 22 HD cameras, an octocam, and, to the praise of Maiden fans everywhere, not edited by Steve Harris. It’s quite easily the most high quality footage that has been released of the band and captures them once again at the top of their game.

As usual, the DVD has its share of bonus features including the music video for The Final Frontier, a short featurette on the making of the video, and a documentary. Titled Behind the Beast, this documentary is a sort of sequel to Flight 666. It chronicles the tour yet again although this time there is a heavier emphasis on the behind the scenes. Technical aspects such as staging, set up, and sound are all given attention here. The documentary also inadvertently captured a historic moment when Maiden were forced to deter away from Japan after the country was hit by a devastating earthquake.

The DVD seemed to receive mixed reviews from fans. It’s definitely not bad, but, other than the songs from the latest album, there’s nothing here that isn’t already present on other live releases. Comparisons to Rock in Rio were naturally made with some still preferring Rios and others actually deciding that En Vivo surpassed it. The HD quality of the video is certainly a huge mark in En Vivo’s favor. Personally, I would say that this is essential if you are a fan of The Final Frontier and want to experience those songs live, otherwise there are more essential Maiden DVDs out there. Regardless, Maiden is still one of the greatest live acts in Rock history and this DVD is no exception, so it’s always worth checking out.

Online MirrorMask

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: The Final Frontier (2010 - 11)
« Reply #1677 on: January 31, 2018, 02:14:22 AM »
Massive undertaking from Mosh, echoing in a sense all the work the band put into this release! I didn't know about the incident with Janick during the recordings, it's always nice to find other Maiden fans even more educated in the details of the band than me, since I usually follow everything they do and say :tup I guess I'll discuss just the album and save my comments for the tour for another post, to avoid a wall of text.

About the album... I liked it then and I like it now, even though when the competition is so high (see all the other reunion albums), it's inevitable that even a beautiful model would look relatively plain compared to even hotter models. I love all the reunion albums so picking the "worst" would still mean picking a Rolls Royce instead of a Ferrari, but just for a slight margin, I'd say that The Final Frontier loses just for a tiny bit against the other albums.

Still, it's packed with great songs. Not a fan of Satellite 15, but I appreciate the daring move to do something so different. The only thing that annoys me is how they didn't split the track on the CD, something I immediately did the moment I ripped the album on my computer. The Final Frontier is as catchy and energetic as any other album opener, and even though he didn't write the lyrics, "Do more in my life than some do in ten" is kind autobiographical for Bruce.

Coming Home has haunting and poetic lyrics, and I make it a point to always hear it whenever I'm flying. Departing at sunset with a plane and going through the "Curving on the edge of daylight 'til it slips into the void" stanza is magical. Such powerful and evoking lyrics, as "Flown the dark atlantic over mariners stormy graves".

My favorite of the epics is Isle of Avalon. Second best song ever that Maiden never played live (The first is Empire of the Clouds). Actually the Alchemist - Avalon - Starblind sequence is the best portion of Maiden music that was never played live. Alternate history scenario: since all it takes is just one song to define the theme of the album and tour (See Powerslave, only song about Egypt on the album), what if Isle of Avalon would have been the title track and the whole thing would have gotten a celtic theme and vibe? maybe cheesy, but interesting for sure.

On the other hand, I consider The Man that Would Be King the least interesting epic of the entire reunion era. Where the Wild Wind Blows is good, but I think that it shoots everything at the beginning, with that catchy "jumpalong" section, and then it just drags and plods until the end, where the climax is only lyrical, but not musical. From 3 minutes or whatever onwards, there's nothing as fast or catchy as the initial melody, and that's kinda a letdown.

While I also appreciate the little experiments here and there, I feel the album doesn't really present anything new. Forget about Satellite 15 and reorganize the tracklist this way:

The Final Frontier
Eldorado
Mother of Mercy
The Alchemist
Isle of Avalon
Coming Home
The Man who Would be King
When the Wild Wind Blows
Starblind
The Talisman

What do we have? energetic opener, slightly longer and more classic song, brooding song about war, fast paced song, epic with a long buildup intro, balladish song, somehow bluesish epic, longest epic of the album penned by Steve, somehow psyschedelic epic, and epic with an acoustic intro.

It's the exact same tracklist of A Matter of Life and Death, only Brighter doesn't really match up. The formula was starting to wear thin and it's good they changed it up with The Book of Souls.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1678 on: January 31, 2018, 05:45:46 AM »
The Talisman is one of their best songs from the reunion albums. Could very well be one of their best ever, in fact, for me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1679 on: January 31, 2018, 07:46:10 AM »
Overall I think The Final Frontier is their weakest reunion album. It has some real gems on it though. I still hate the long opening intro.

This was the tour where I saw Iron Maiden for the first time. And the icing on the cake was that Dream Theater was the opener. One of the best shows I've ever seen and a great setlist.