Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 184341 times)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Brave New World Tour/Rock In Rio (2000-01)
« Reply #1470 on: November 05, 2017, 03:30:44 AM »
Bruce's compilation was my introduction to his solo stuff. I bought it the same year. I like the two new tracks on it, Broken is the best of those.

And Rock In Rio is just epic all around.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Mladen

« Reply #1471 on: November 05, 2017, 03:39:52 AM »
Once again, tremendous write up.

I love the Rock in Rio DVD. I'll go out on a limb and say Steve's editing is awesome. The chaotic nature makes it especially exciting and very rock and roll. I'm happy Bruce's speech was cut out, not because of its vulgarity, but because it wasn't one of his better ones. His rants throughout this particular tour are extremely angry, yet make a fantastic point. I've always thought THIS was his best rant EVER:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u23zzyggOzQ

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy  :hefdaddy

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1472 on: November 05, 2017, 04:11:30 AM »
Another thing worth mentioning is that during Sign of the Cross there was a stage prop that failed, and therefore it's not shown on the DVD. I think Bruce was supposed to be nailed to a cross which was set on fire, or something like that...did anyone see this work on that tour?

I did. I remember all too well the "Metal 2000" tour, Maiden headlined the Gods of Metal festival in a stadium near Milan and second on the bill were Demons & Wizards (side project of Iced Earth and Blind Guardian's masterminds), there were also Dark Tranquillity, Sentenced and Edguy.

it was not so dramatic as you said - for all the tour, Bruce simply pretended to be nailed to a prop cross that was slowly rising during the intro to Sign of the Cross, and then he would just jump back on the platform right above Nicko to sing the song. He was not "nailed" (he just had the handles) nor the cross was ever set on fire - he simply pretended to be hung on the cross while it was slowly rising.

Indeed on Rock in Rio there was an accident and I still have somewhere the bootleg where you can actually hear the poor guy hurt from whatever happened screaming  :o

The concert I've seen was great of course, I was surprised to see Brave New World, the title track, played so early in the set, and was pleasantly surprised to see both Sign of the Cross and The Clansman in the set.

This is a recording of the show I've seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEXhWNcu3Jk

And I think it's in this tour that Bruce started developing the habit of jumping the monitors in front of him, he was doing that quite a lot in the early years of the reunion, by now he kinda slowed down and does it only once or twice  :D

About his greatest hits, I don't think the two new songs are bad sounding, and they're both kickass. Silver Wings is an awesome opener, and Broken is gorgeous too. The compilation is indeed a nice collection of good songs from his albums, and rarities.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 04:23:03 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1473 on: November 05, 2017, 06:08:20 AM »
I saw this tour as well, and it was a great show. I thought the setlist was fantastic. Sign Of The Cross, The Clansman, and Dream Of Mirrors all in one set? Great!

I don't listen to the live album nearly as much as I should. That version of The Clansman is epic. I also rarely watch the video. It's not my favorite. The editing, though not as bad as Death On The Road, is still putrid.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1474 on: November 05, 2017, 09:12:10 AM »
I had been a fan of the band since the mid 80's, but this is the first tour that I seen them live. It was at the Blossom Music Center in the Cleveland, Ohio area. Halford and Queensryche were the openers with Halford playing first. Which is really a shame, because they played a far superior set than QR. In fact, I remember there being some pleasant surprises in Halford's set at the time, but I can't remember exactly what they were. I think that he played a song or two from Sad Wings of Destiny, though. (Maybe Tyrant?)

I remember Maiden being absolutely brilliant that night. Nicko was very impressive. There was a slight hickup in the middle of Hallowed Be Thy Name, and he really held the band together through the mistake, and got them back on track. I also remember Bruce bitching about the state of music in his rant. If I remember right, he made fun of Nirvana which went over really well with the crowd.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1475 on: November 05, 2017, 09:26:53 AM »
Setlist.fm doesn't have your show but from the other setlists of Halford's tour yes, Tyrant was played. Badass song!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1476 on: November 05, 2017, 09:32:38 AM »
I have a bootleg with Running Wild, Jawbreaker, and Stained Class.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1477 on: November 05, 2017, 09:47:43 AM »
Bruce talks about the 'Three Tenors of Metal' project in his book. He wanted Ronnie James Dio and Halford,  Management wanted Geoff Tate because he would be more recognisable to 'the kids'. Bruce had one meeting with Tate. They didn't get along and couldn't agree to, well NOTHING. Scratch that project. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1478 on: November 05, 2017, 09:55:02 AM »
Bruce talks about the 'Three Tenors of Metal' project in his book. He wanted Ronnie James Dio and Halford,  Management wanted Geoff Tate because he would be more recognisable to 'the kids'. Bruce had one meeting with Tate. They didn't get along and couldn't agree to, well NOTHING. Scratch that project.

So THAT's the reason why nothing came of it? DAMN!!!

And to think that now Geoff Tate did that, with the two replacements of Bruce and Rob... geez.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1479 on: November 05, 2017, 09:58:27 AM »
Oh man...Bruce, Halford and Dio on the same tour???? How awesome would that be?

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #1480 on: November 05, 2017, 10:22:05 AM »
I have a bootleg with Running Wild, Jawbreaker, and Stained Class.

The more that I think about it all those songs seem like they were part of the set. That band was absolutely fantastic.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1481 on: November 05, 2017, 06:13:50 PM »

Ugh....bloody Tate.  Dio, Halford and Dickinson together would have been just incredible.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1482 on: November 06, 2017, 07:33:28 AM »
Rock in Rio is incredible.  My only gripe was that they copy and pasted Bruce's vocals onto the crowd participation parts.  Other than that, I think it's a perfect live album, with an incredible setlist.  Bruce's vocals are at their best here, as well. 

Before the album and DVD were released, I had traded for a couple of bootlegs from the tour, which I missed because I was away at college and I believe it was a weeknight show at home in Chicago.  It's the one of the two concerts that I really kick myself for missing based on the lineup.  Halford, Queensryche, and then Maiden?   :metal   So I used to watch the bootlegs and I at least got to see the cross being used during the show.  After I got the DVD, it's one of the only things I watched for years.  Hence my love for this period of the band - I was so obsessed with Brave New World and Rock in Rio. 

It's awesome that this tour spawned two amazing live albums - Rock in Rio and Halford's Live Insurrection. 

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1483 on: November 06, 2017, 07:50:34 AM »

Man, I feel awful for Bruce on that. If memory serves me right, he originally wrote the title track off of "Tyranny of Souls" to be a song where he'd be singing along with Halford and Dio all together, with each of them effectively being one of the Three Witches from MacBeth (which is what the song is about). For whatever reason, it didn't work out and he sang the whole song by himself.

Goddamnit, Tate.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1484 on: November 06, 2017, 08:05:36 AM »
RiR had a huge impact of the beginning of my IM fanboyism.  Fear of the Dark was just an unbelievable track with the crowd and energy.  I used to really enjoy watching the DVD as well, the fast cuts didn't bother me much in my college years, but as I got older I found it harder and harder to watch and enjoy.  However, that makes no impact on my enjoyment of the album.  Just amazing performances of the Blaze songs as well.  I would say I enjoy this moreso than LAD, but maybe it has to do with this being my intro live album to the band.

As for the Bruce and Dio stuff, I just started reading his book and was picking up on these tidbits as well especially his love of performing including mentioning a few times early that he would perform Macbeth.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1485 on: November 06, 2017, 08:22:28 AM »
Blaming Tate is the popular thing to do but I don’t think it was really his fault. First of all, Rod was the one who didn’t want to work with Dio. Secondly, from what I’ve heard in interviews (haven’t got that far in the book), Bruce kind of scrapped the project before it really got anywhere. He wrote Tyranny of Souls, realized he’d need to write 10-12 more songs in that style for it to be a project that could be recorded/toured on, and then shelved it.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1486 on: November 06, 2017, 08:23:37 AM »

Man, I feel awful for Bruce on that. If memory serves me right, he originally wrote the title track off of "Tyranny of Souls" to be a song where he'd be singing along with Halford and Dio all together, with each of them effectively being one of the Three Witches from MacBeth (which is what the song is about). For whatever reason, it didn't work out and he sang the whole song by himself.

Goddamnit, Tate.

Now you got me thinkling how awesome Ronnie would sound on the song.

Bruce: When shall we three meet again?
Halford: In thunder, lightning, or in rain
Dio: When the hurly burly's done...

Damn, I can almost hear it in my head.

And speaking of Bruce and his passion for MacBeth: he actually agreed to do an album about it, with none other than Arjen Lucassen. However Arjen was too excited about it, shared the news too soon, and Bruce was annoyed by it and pulled out (at least this is how I remember it went down). Another pity.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1487 on: November 06, 2017, 01:33:03 PM »
No as far as memory serves, Rod nixed that as well.  At least we got the Ayreon track Into the black hole out of it.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1488 on: November 06, 2017, 01:59:48 PM »
Which pissed off Tobias Sammet 'cause Arjen could get Bruce. And Arjen is pissed off at Tobias anyway 'cause he got Alice Cooper for Avantasia, they're each other's dream  ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1489 on: November 06, 2017, 02:38:53 PM »
RIR is awesome.  I love the DVD and the setlist, and I never had an issue with Steve's editing.  The only negative is Bruce vox cut in over the singalong parts.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1490 on: November 06, 2017, 02:42:51 PM »
Also want to add that the two Bruce solo songs, Broken and Silver Wings are among his best songs IMO. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1491 on: November 06, 2017, 02:45:43 PM »
Also want to add that the two Bruce solo songs, Broken and Silver Wings are among his best songs IMO.

Yeah, Silver Wings is Aces High 2.0 IMO.  Both great songs.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1492 on: November 12, 2017, 11:05:11 PM »
Air Raid Tour (2002)

With the exception of the Clive Burr one offs, 2002 was to be a year of no Maiden activity. Bruce Dickinson stated that Maiden would transform into a more off and on affair, as opposed to the constant stream of activity throughout the 80s and much of the 90s. With Maiden on hiatus, Bruce decided to play the European festival circuit. In a bit of a surprise move, the backing band was not going to include the Accident of Birth/Chemical Wedding lineup that brought Bruce’s solo career so much recognition in the late 90s. Instead, Bruce went with Alex Dickson and Chris Dale from the old Skunkworks band plus a second guitarist and new drummer. The tour would give Bruce a chance to send a message that even though he was back in Maiden, he still had a solo career and material that he was dedicated to.

The setlist was probably among his more well rounded since the Accident era. Where The Chemical Wedding and Accident of Birth tours heavily focused on his latest material, the Air Raid tour was more of a career retrospective. Both Broken and Silver Wings were played from the Greatest Hits album as well as a couple songs from Skunkworks (after being ignored since the tour for the album). Of course there were some Maiden covers, mostly material that hadn’t been played by Maiden in years, such as Revelations, The Prisoner, and Flight of Icarus. Bruce also performed Bring Your Daughter To the Slaughter, a song that began life as the catalyst for Bruce’s solo career. There was even a cover of Tom Jones’ Delilah (Bruce sang the song on a British TV show in the late 90s).

The tour was very short at a mere six gigs, so unfortunately there isn’t much in the way of bootlegs or pro shot footage. As far as I know, there are no soundboards or pro shot footage of the tour. The fan shot videos are pretty spotty, although they can be found easily on YouTube. Normally I’d include a bootleg, but honestly I have a bootleg of every show on this tour and none of them sound that good. PM me if you really want something, but you might as well go on youtube and check out what’s there.

Eddie’s Archive (2002)

In the early 00’s, collectible box sets were pretty popular. The rare content and memorabilia was an effective way of persuading people to buy a physical product when it was becoming increasingly easy to pirate music. Some of these boxsets were ripoffs, not being much more than an overpriced best of album. Some contained rare material, some had a bit of both. Eddie’s Archive was Maiden’s box set and contains material that, to this day, can’t be found anywhere else. Housed in the metal tin was a shot glass, a scroll depicting the Maiden family tree, and three double albums. I will go over each album individually.

Beast Over Hammersmith

This CD was actually already discussed as part of the Beast On the Road tour, but it’s worth mentioning again as it is really one of their best live albums. An uncut concert from 1982, features most of the Number of the Beast album, Total Eclipse, and several songs from the Di’Anno era that aren’t on any other live album. It’s worth mentioning that this was released before the Early Days DVD which included a video excerpt of the same performance. Until the release of Eddie’s Archive, it could only be found on low quality bootlegs.

Best Of the B-Sides

As the title makes clear, this is a collection of some of the band’s most memorable b-sides from over the years complete with liner notes from Rod Smallwood discussing every track. The songs are presented in chronological order so it serves as a nice history of the band up until 1999. You hear how the band’s sound has evolved even though most of the content is made up of covers. The only time the b-sides were released in CD format was on The First Ten Years collection and the Castle reissues of the discography that are now very rare. So this is a good way to get most of them in one shot.

I intentionally talking much about the band’s b-sides so that there would be stuff to discuss when we got to this compilation, but Maiden were one of those bands who really gave the fans their money’s worth with singles. Very rarely would a b-side be simply another track from the album or an alternative version of the a-side. That being said, the band also never wrote more than they needed for an album. If a song wasn’t good enough for the album, the band typically didn’t record it. For that reason, most of the b-sides are covers which also provides insight on the band’s influences.

There’s a lot of interesting stuff on here. Covers of Cross Eyed Mary and King of Twilight that turn the originals on their head, a cover of A Rainbow’s Gold (which contains lyrics that were used on Hallowed Be Thy Name), and some early recordings that were never on a studio album. For me, the most interesting b-sides are the ones from Somewhere in Time and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son. As mentioned earlier, the band rarely wrote songs for b-side use, but 1986-1988 was an especially creative period. Sheriff of Huddersfield and Black Bart Blues are both original tunes which, despite not being serious at all, are pretty strong for b-sides. The former is a tribute to the manager, Rod Smallwood, and the latter is a tale of life on the road. For the Somewhere In Time b-sides, they also recorded some songs from Adrian and Nicko’s The Entire Population of Hackney project. Among them is Reach Out, which features Adrian on lead vocals. Also from the Seventh Son era are two re-recordings of songs from the debut: Prowler and Charlotte the Harlot. These two were unexpected due to the band not typically redoing old songs and the ultra polished sound of Seventh Son is a stark contrast to the sound of the debut. Charlotte the Harlot is also a song that was never performed live with Bruce (and remained that way until 2005), so this was the first recording of him singing it.

In the 90’s, the covers were lighter on the prog rock side and more along the lines of traditional hard rock of bands such as Led Zeppelin and Free, which fit the more stripped down sound of those albums. They covered Montrose for the second time with Space Station No. 5 and, with Blaze in the band, finally did their own take of UFO’s Doctor Doctor. There are a few more originals in the 90s. Two of the three songs that were left off of X Factor are included here (Justice of the Peace and Judgement Day). Going back a couple years, there’s also Nodding Donkey Blues which is (to my knowledge) the first recording that is credited to the whole band. It’s also Nicko McBrain’s second writing credit (the first was also a b-side: Mission From ‘Arry). They also recorded a parody of Roll Over Beethoven called Roll Over Vic Vella, a tribute to Steve’s personal friend and assistant.

The remainder of the album consists of live recordings. There’s a recording of Drifter with Paul on vocals and Remember Tomorrow with Bruce on vocals (which is actually Bruce singing over the Maiden Japan track. There are also two rare live recordings with Blaze, Blood On the World’s Hands and The Aftermath, both recorded in Gothenburg. Finally, there are two recordings from the Ed Huntour: Futureal (which was only played with the current lineup on that tour) and Wasted Years.

As mentioned earlier, this is just a selection of the best b-sides, although they did a pretty good job getting most of the essential ones. The only glaring omissions for me are their cover of Massacre and Mission From ‘Arry. After 2003 Maiden pretty much stopped doing b-sides and any b-sides that were released were just live tracks. That being said, there is probably enough for another double album and, with that in mind, here is my “Rest of the B’Sides playlist for a reference of the other essentials (there’s still stuff missing but it’s mostly live songs that have been released on several live albums):

Disc 1:
1: Sanctuary (1979 Metal For Muthas)
2: Wrathchild (1979 Metal For Muthas)
3: I’ve Got the Fire (live recording with Paul on vocals)
4: Phantom Of the Opera (live 1980)
5: Women In Uniform (not a b-side, but also not widely available on CD)
6: Total Eclipse (included on the most recent release of The Number of the Beast, but should be here for completion sake)
7: Mission From ‘Arry (legendary recording of an argument between Steve, Nicko, and Bruce)
8: Murders In the Rue Morgue (Live at Hammersmith 1984)
9: Losfer Words (Big ‘Orra) (Live At Hammersmith 1984, also the only officially released live recording of this song)
10: Massacre (Thin Lizzy cover)
11: Bayswater Ain’t a Bad Place To Be (8 minutes of Blues and the band screwing around in the studio with acoustic guitars)
12: No Prayer For the Dying (Wembley 1990, the only officially released live recording of this song)
13: Public Enema No. 1 (Wembley 1990, the only officially released live recording of this song)
14: Holy Smoke (Wembley 1990, the only officially released live recording of this song)
15: The Assassin (Wembley 1990, the only officially released live recording of this song)
16: Hooks In You (Wembley 1990, the only officially released live recording of this song)

Disc 2:
1: Wasted Years (Germany 1993)
2: I Live My Way (the third X Factor reject)
3: Virus (again not a b-side but is only available on the out of print Best Of the Beast)
4: The Wicker Man (Radio edit)
5: The Nomad (Alternate mix)
6: Blood Brothers (orchestral mix)
7: Pass the Jam (2003 studio jam)
8: More Tea Vicar (2003 studio jam)
9: Dance of Death (orchestral mix)
10: Paschendale (orchestral mix)
11: Journeyman (electric version)
12: Hocus Pocus (Focus cover from 2006)
13: Space Truckin’ (Deep Purple cover from 2006)
14: Tush (Unreleased ZZ Top cover from 2006)

The BBC Archives

This is a compilation of various recordings that were broadcast on the BBC. This CD captures four different performances, two with Paul on vocals and two with Bruce on vocals. Of the three albums included on Eddie’s Archive, this is the least essential and is probably for hardcore fans only. The two Bruce recordings are from tours that already have full length live releases with arguably better setlists and performances (Beast Over Hammersmith and Maiden England). That being said, it’s a nice treat especially for those who are fond of those particular eras. For fans of the Di’Anno era, this just adds to the small amount that’s already out there. The best part of this album is actually the expansive liner notes, written by Radio 1 producer Tony Wilson. They go into great detail on the significance and history of each gig.

The first set of recordings is a studio performance from 1979. This is perhaps the most historically interesting recording on the album because it features the lineup of Paul Di’Anno, Steve Harris, Dave Murray, Doug Sampson (drums) and Tony Parsons (guitar). These are the only officially released recordings with Parsons on guitar and are worth checking out for that alone. The song selection isn’t anything too exciting, but the unique lineup gives these familiar songs a different vibe.

The rest of Disc 1 is made up of Maiden’s legendary performance at Reading 1982. Where Beast Over Hammersmith was recorded very early in the Beast On the Road tour (the album hadn’t even been released yet), Reading took place at the end of the tour after the band had made runs through Europe and North America. The album had proven to be a hit, the new lineup was successful, and Reading served as a sort of homecoming or victory lap for the band. With Beast On the Road already part of this collection, it might seem redundant, but it is one of the band’s most memorable performances. That being said, it is not a complete performance and is more like a highlight reel. Although it is missing the encore where they were joined by members of Blackfoot to perform a cover of Tush.

Disc 2 turns the clock back a couple years to 1980 where the band performed at Reading for the first time. This predates Live At the Rainbow by a few months and is from when Dennis Stratton was still in the band. The only other live recording with Stratton is Live At the Ruskin Arms on The Early Days, which was from earlier in the year. Not much else to say about this one, it does have a rare performance of Killers with the alternate lyrics and Stratton on guitar.

The final recording is an excerpt of the band’s legendary headline performance at Donington 1988. It’s good to finally have some of it, although it’s not much compared to the far superior Maiden England. Of course it’s also incomplete, although 3 additional songs (The Prisoner, Heaven Can Wait, and The Clairvoyant) were released on The Clairvoyant single, so a good chunk of this performance has been released in different forms. Like Reading 1982, it’s somewhat redundant if you already have Maiden England and is mostly appealing for its historic significance.

Overall the BBC Archives is a decent release that manages to catch several live recordings that were heavily bootlegged and requested by fans. I would’ve preferred the complete Donington, Reading, or even something else entirely such as Hammersmith 1984 or Wembley 1990. BBC Archives is interesting, but it’s one of those albums that you only really need to listen to once.

Visions Of the Beast (2003)

While we’re on the subject of archival releases, released in early 2003 was a DVD that collected all of Maiden’s music videos up until that point. They had released several video compilations on VHS, the last one covering everything up to Fear of the Dark. This DVD includes all of those videos plus the ones that came after and some alternate/unreleased cuts such as the “Football” version of Futureal and an alternate version of Man On the Edge. It also has a video for Afraid To Shoot Strangers with Blaze Bayley on vocals, which was one of his better renditions of the Bruce era material. As extras, there are also animated videos for six songs. Of course all these videos are now on YouTube (most, if not all, uploaded by the band themselves) so this release is fairly obsolete. But we can use it as an excuse to discuss the band’s videos in general.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maiden might not have been actively touring or recording from 2001 to early 2003, but the Maiden PR machine was certainly moving at full speed with all the archival releases (there was also another greatest hits release, Edward the Great, but there’s nothing on there worth mentioning). There was certainly an element of the band taking advantage of their new status as a “legacy” act in a way that they consciously avoided during the Brave New World cycle. They had proven that their priority was the future, but now there was a chance to look back and give fans some rare goodies from the 80’s. But that too was now over with and soon it would be time for Maiden to look forward again with what is the most divisive album of the reunion era. Stay tuned for Dance of Death!

Online MirrorMask

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Eddie's Archive + More (2002 - 03)
« Reply #1493 on: November 13, 2017, 01:35:31 AM »
Excellent recollection, as usual!  :tup

Eddie's Archive was indeed a nice treat. This boxset serves as a next generation version to the collection of singles, the ones with the Listen with Nicko sessions. I agree that Maiden (pity they stopped) have a collection of B-sides probably more interesting than the actual original output of many bands out there.

And let me express my regret for not having seen Bruce live, I had a friend at Wacken calling me to let me hear snippets of Back from the Edge and Revelations (symbolically my favorite Maiden song, since it's the one that made me fall in love with Bruce's voice and therefore Maiden and therefore heavy metal in general) but that was just a consolation. Would have loved to be there!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1494 on: November 13, 2017, 04:33:38 AM »
I remember getting Eddie's Archive when it came out for XMas.  It's glorious, worth every cent.  Still have it in perfect condition.  Beast Over Hammersmith is worth the price alone.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1495 on: November 13, 2017, 06:15:00 AM »
In case there are any collectors out there interested in acquiring Eddie's Archive, there are two versions: the original release comes with a blue insert, the re-release with a red insert. Additionally, the family tree in the re-release is unnumbered.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1496 on: November 13, 2017, 06:26:16 AM »
Since I converted my cd collection to digital in 2010, I sold my original copy of Eddie's Archive a few years ago on ebay.  I think it went for $80-90, which was fine for me.  I don't remember what I paid for it originally.  It just sat around in a closet, so while the collector part of me really misses having it, I have the cd's archived ( :biggrin:) on my computer.  I love Beast Over Hammersmith, and the b-side compilation is fun at times. 

I used to watch Visions of the Beast all the time when I got that...until Youtube popped up and I can find almost anything I want on demand.  I prefer watching live videos over official music videos, so I really don't watch much of the classic Maiden videos anymore, and I believe I sold this around the same time that I purged some of my collection a few years ago as well.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1497 on: November 13, 2017, 09:18:26 AM »
Excellent write up as usual Mosh.

Eddies Archive is a beautiful set, but I only got it a few years ago.  I'll admit the price I paid for it was ridiculous, but it was totally worth it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1498 on: November 13, 2017, 03:04:59 PM »
I love the story of how I bought Eddies Archive.  There are two versions of this by the way, the original limited edition with a numbered family tree and blue inside of the box, and the re-release with the red inside and no numbering.  I didn't know this, but was happy to find out I own the original numbered box.  I was in college at Penn State and obsessed with IM with my roommate.  We bought all the albums together and would listen after classes together.  Experiencing new albums at the same time often and just growing into IM together.  My father came up to visit me one weekend and there was a record store near campus that he would always want to go to when he visited to pick up a random vinyl to add to his collection.  I thought to myself, if any store would have Eddies Archive, it would be this one.  So when I went to the store with my family, I searched the entire store for Eddies Archive.  The store was not organized very well, maybe one of the last mom and pop music stores when I think about it (it's not there anymore  :( ).  Well I couldn't find it, I was upset.  My dad found what he wanted and as he was paying at the register, I look to the left and behind the register, ontop of stacks of various CDs, sat an Eddies Archive set.  I was sooo happy.  I asked how much, I forget the exact amount but I think it was $110 or $120.  I didn't have that much money on me, but I called my roommate said go to the bank and get this immediately since I had to leave with my father to do something else I forget.  Later that night I got home and we took shots from the goblet  :yarr  When we left college I won a game of war to keep all the IM stuff we had collected, including the CDs, Eddies Archive, and a couple flag posters we hung in our living room (which now hang in my basement). 

As for my feelings of the CDs in the box set.  I think the b-sides are mostly terrible.  I don't listen to it at all.  I find the Blaze era b-sides the best and most interesting.  The Live at Hammersmith CDs are amazing though.  The uniqueness of the box set and that live concert made the set worth the purchase.

Also, totally wish I got to see one of those Bruce solo shows from that small tour.  That set list was awesome.

Edit: to add, when my roommate went back to the store to buy Eddies Archive, I was told (and still get told this story form my roommate) that the cashier yelled to someone in the back "Hey, we finally sold Eddies Archive!"  :lol
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 03:10:42 PM by cramx3 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1499 on: November 13, 2017, 07:15:49 PM »
Eddie's Archive is a great collection. Beast Over Hammersmith is fantastic, and having all of the B sides in one spot is convenient.

As Mosh said, I hate half show compilations. The full Donnington or Reading would've been much better.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #1500 on: November 13, 2017, 07:36:48 PM »
I´m not sure those songs are on the "Best of the B Sides", but they´re definitely worth a mention:

Juanita
Communication Breakdown (Zeppelin cover)
I´m a Mover (Free cover)
Kill me Ce Soir (Golden Earring cover)
All in Your Mind (Stray cover)

I´m pretty sure that on Juanita, That Girl and Reach Out, Adrian plays bass too.

Online Mladen

« Reply #1501 on: November 14, 2017, 08:01:47 AM »
Beast over Hammersmith is pretty cool. And some of those B-Sides truly are great.  :metal

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1502 on: November 14, 2017, 10:11:36 AM »
I agree with el Barto; full sets or nothing.   It's a festival; we know it's warts and all.

I am a huge fan of the Maiden b-sides, though, and I am sort of bummed that the two-disk set is incomplete.   I have a complete set of the Castle Remasters (which have the bonus disks with the b-sides).   "Total Eclipse" is one of if not THE favorite song in the Maiden catalogue, and while I wouldn't put "covers" in my list of "favorite Maiden songs", but All In Your Mind is up there, as is the Nektar song(s) (it's a medley), and Cross-Eyed Mary.  I have them all on my iPod, grouped as "Studio" and "Live" and I do listen to them often.   

"We're gonna put it on a CD!"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1503 on: November 14, 2017, 11:06:12 AM »
I never cared for Cross Eyed Mary...very clunky.

I've Got The Fire is where it's at!

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1504 on: November 27, 2017, 09:04:36 PM »
First of all, thanks everyone for your patience. This has turned out to be one of the busiest semesters I've had and generally the past few months have been the busiest I've been in my life. Not to make excuses, but this has had to take a back seat lately. The good news is that things should be winding down within the next couple weeks so expect a couple more delays and then maybe back to weekly updates. No promises though. Anyway, on with the show:

Dance of Death (2003)

Maiden kicked off 2003 by announcing some tour dates and entering the studio for work on their next album. Pleased with his work on Brave New World, the band reenlisted Kevin Shirley, although this time the album would be recorded at home in England. They booked a studio in London, their first time recording in the city since The Number of the Beast.  In usual Maiden fashion, the group opted not to take the safe route of retreading the accessible straightforward material on Dance of Death but to instead further pursue that album’s more experimental and progressive side. As a result, Dance of Death is one of the band’s more adventurous albums and features many firsts for the band.

Among these firsts was Nicko McBrain’s first writing credit on a Maiden album, after being in the band for 20 years. Nicko came up with the lyrics, vocal melodies, and a bass line which he presented to the entire band. When Nicko presented the song, he used the classic Steve Harris method of playing the riffs on acoustic bass while humming the tune. The band remarked that he sounded strangely like Steve and Steve even jokingly suggested that Nicko play bass on the recording. Nicko also received help from Adrian who helped with the bridge and chorus. Additionally, Bruce is credited on the song but his exact involvement has never been explained. The song, which is about the moral dilemma over cloning humans, drew some small controversy among fans for being too preachy. Other than that though, New Frontier is a typical Maiden rocker and not bad for a first song. It was never played live though and today only seems to be remembered because Nicko wrote it.

Another major first on the album was the band’s first all acoustic song. Journeyman, the album’s closer, is one of two songs by the Smith/Harris/Dickinson partnership. It was originally written with acoustic guitars but, as was the case with all their songs, it was rearranged for electric guitars and recorded that way. Ultimately the band was unsatisfied with the result and the suggestion was made to record the original acoustic version. The new recording came out much better and is what made it onto the album. They had songs that featured prominent acoustic guitars before, namely Prodigal Son and Como Estais Amigos, but both songs featured some heavy sections with electric guitars. Journeyman was 100% acoustic. The electric version was released later on the No More Lies EP. Journeyman was a nice surprise after 10 pretty heavy songs and is probably the closest Maiden have come to writing a ballad. Ballads can be risky business in Metal bands, but this particular ballad came with surprisingly little controversy. Most fans seemed to embrace the experimentation and the song remains as one of the album’s most memorable moments.

The other Smith/Harris/Dickinson track marked yet another first: Nicko McBrain’s first use of double bass pedal. For those unfamiliar with Nicko’s drum technique, he was always strongly opposed to using the double bass and gained a reputation for having ridiculously fast single pedal technique. His first major obstacle actually came the moment he joined the band when Steve presented him with Where Eagles Dare. It was uncertain whether Nicko would be able to handle the song’s tempo using a single pedal bass drum but, after hours of careful practice, he was not only able to do it, but he was able to start the show with it on the Piece of Mind tour. Nicko was presented with another tricky bass drum part 20 years later with Face In the Sand, but this time he ended up having to record it with a double bass pedal. Nicko voiced discomfort with playing the song and, consequently, it was never played live. It is a strong effort though with lyrics from Bruce that reflect on the media coverage of various events, specifically the Iraq War which had started while the band were working on the album.

If it is not already apparent, Adrian Smith had a much greater hand in this album compared to Brave New World, where he intentionally took a backseat. Where he only contributed two songs to the previous album, Adrian has a writing credit on 5 of the 11 songs on Dance of Death, including the lead single: Wildest Dreams. Much like The Wicker Man, which was also penned by Adrian (with the help of Bruce and Steve) and was also a lead single, the song is a musical callback to the hits of the 80s such as Flight of Icarus and Can I Play With Madness. It’s upbeat, energetic, and features a live-ready singalong chorus. Wildest Dreams is very similar in style to The Wicker Man, although it was written by Smith and Harris rather than Smith/Harris/Dickinson.

The last Smith contribution, Paschendale, is a stark contrast to the accessible Wildest Dreams with its epic length, sudden stops, and extended instrumental section. Prior to Paschendale, Adrian was mostly known for the more commercial side of Maiden, but in the spirit of the album’s experimentation, he decided to attempt an epic. The song began with the haunting intro and developed from there. Adrian then found a book on the battle of Passchendaele and presented it to Steve for lyrical inspiration. The result was one of the band’s proggiest and most dramatic songs ever. It is a song that is still held in high regard among fans and the band members themselves. In his new book, Bruce claims it’s the only thing on Dance of Death that is at the same level of quality as Brave New World.

Paschendale is not the only epic or dramatic piece on the album though. Also included is the epic title track, written by Steve and Janick. At 9 minutes, it’s the longest song on the album and was conceived around an acoustic idea by Gers. Janick came up with the bulk of the song and, in a similar story to Paschendale, presented Steve with inspiration for the lyrics from the classic film The Seventh Seal. However, unlike Paschendale, the source material only provided the initial spark of inspiration. The song itself is entirely from Steve’s imagination, possible a story from his dreams. Together, both Paschendale and Dance of Death mark a return to the storytelling epic that was more common in the 80s with songs such as Rime of the Ancient Mariner and To Tame a Land. Musically, the song seems to be a progression of what Janick was doing on Dream of Mirrors, but this time the acoustic guitar plays an even more prominent role. Not only is Dance of Death one of Maiden’s most dramatic songs, it’s also one of their most melodic and is another highlight of the album. If there was still any doubt about Janick’s place in the band, Dance of Death shatters it.

While he didn’t contribute quite as much as on Brave New World, Dance of Death continues to show Janick’s prominence as a songwriter. Not only did he contribute the title track and album centerpiece, but he also contributed a couple classic sounding Maiden rockers. Both songs are collaborations with Bruce and Steve and they each represent the more accessible side of the album. One of these two songs, Gates of Tomorrow, is widely considered to be among the weaker points of the album. It’s a generic fast paced rock song in the vein of Wildest Dreams or The Mercenary, but not quite as memorable. The lyrics, penned by Bruce, can take on multiple meanings, although it is most likely about the uncertain future that awaited with the advent of the Internet. Maiden were pretty on top of the technology at the time, being one of the first bands to have an official website and also embracing music downloads early on (more on that later). For a more successful collaboration by the trio, there’s Montsegur. This is another short rocker that came primarily from Janick with some rearrangements by Steve and a lyric by Bruce. It’s a song filled with catchy riffs and melodies, including a recycled guitar harmony from Bruce Dickinson’s solo track, Born In ‘58.

Dave Murray also contributed two tracks which had become normal for him at the time, although he contributed three songs to Brave New World. The first song, Rainmaker, was a collaboration with Bruce and Steve although the song was primarily written by Dave. Dave came up with the main riffs, melodies and chord progressions with Steve adding some melodies before Bruce wrote the lyrics. Bruce heard the opening melody that Dave came up with and stated that it reminded him of raindrops, hence the concept of Rainmaker. The second Dave song was Age of Innocence, which was just a collaboration with Steve. Once again, Dave came up with most of the music while Steve helped piece things together and also added the lyrics. Age of Innocence is one of the more controversial songs on the album for a number of reasons. The first is the lyrics, which, similar to New Frontier, were criticized for being overly preachy and even showing Steve’s age. Steve wrote the song about his feelings in England at the time, that he felt like the judicial system was failing and his kids weren’t safe growing up there. The song was also criticized for its bridge which featured Bruce almost rapping. That being said, the song is also praised for its highly melodic guitar parts and chorus. Overall, Age of Innocence is a good example of Dance of Death’s more experimental side: it works in some areas and not so much in other areas.

As usual, Steve remained very prolific on this album contributing to all but one track (New Frontier). Like Brave New World, his solo contributions weren’t quite as numerous since there were so many other writers in the band that he wanted to make room for. Only one song is credited entirely to Steve and that is No More Lies. No More Lies is the typical reunion era Maiden track: long soft intro followed by a heavy buildup with a huge climactic (if not repetitive) chorus. The lyrics are also classic Steve, dealing with a person who knows he is close to death. Steve has said that the person in the song could be Jesus and that there are references to the Last Supper, but it is meant to be relatable for anyone.

The album was recorded in the same style and fashion as Brave New World, although this time they captured some video footage of the recording so fans were able to get better insight into the modern Maiden recording method. The documentary, which was included on the DVD release for the tour (Death On the Road), was the first time fans got a significant look at the band in the studio. Maiden were known to be very secretive about those things, so the Dance of Death documentary was a real treat. It only really covers the recording of Montsegur and Paschendale, but it’s better than nothing. As seen in the documentary, the band worked very quickly. An entire day would be spent on one song and they would go from rough rhythm tracks all the way to a rough mix of the final song by the end of the day. The band was recorded live, with Dave and Janick sharing a recording booth, Adrian in his own booth, Bruce in his own booth, and Nicko and Steve in the center room. Kevin Shirley used a minimalist approach to instrument set up, contrary to most producers and audio engineers. Rather than spend days on end crafting the drum sound or messing with microphones, he opted for a more “plug in and play” approach which very much pleased the band.

Using Kevin Shirley’s quick style of recording, the sessions were finished in a month. The album was mixed and ready to go by May, although it wouldn’t be released until September. It’s not entirely clear why the release was delayed. Whether there was an unintentional delay or the band decided to hold off so that they could do a “classics” setlist for the festivals and North America. Regardless, the shows were booked even before the band started recording, and, in Summer 2003, Maiden hit the road again for their first full scale tour in 2 years.

Give Me Ed Til I’m Dead Tour (2003)

As previously mentioned, the summer 2003 tour was actually announced before the band had even entered the studio. In late 2002, Maiden began announcing some European summer dates and before long a full scale tour was planned, including a run in North America. The European shows were also going to be largely in the festival circuit. Later on it was revealed that the tour would be a “greatest hits” setlist and was going to be about having fun. This marked the beginning of a pattern that still exists to this day: album tours are to be alternated with “greatest hits” tours. They started as being simple and brief but continued to grow as the were unsurprisingly extremely popular. The tour also served as a way to build hype for the new album. The band performed Wildest Dreams as part of the setlist and at every concert Bruce encouraged fans to record the song and post it on the internet on the condition that they buy the album when it comes out. Maiden’s attitude toward this was a stark contrast to the general industry opinion at the time, as Metallica were currently in the middle of a high profile lawsuit against Napster and most artists were on Metallica’s side. Maiden realized that it was a losing battle for the music industry and that the best course of action was to use it to their own advantage, which is exactly what they did for Dance of Death.

The rest of the setlist was a career retrospective that featured a healthy amount of material from each era. This time, every album was represented with the exception of Killers and The X Factor. The usual suspects were included, but there were also some songs that hadn’t been played in years. The big comeback was Revelations, which hadn’t been played since the World Slavery tour in 1985. Also included were 22 Acacia Avenue and Die With Your Boots On, two songs that were staples in the 80s but hadn’t been played since the early 90s. The Wicker Man and Brave New World were each played from the previous album and The Clansman was on the menu for the third tour in a row. The encore was one of the band’s more exciting, kicking off with Bring Your Daughter To the Slaughter, which hadn’t been played since Bruce left the band. This was followed by Two Minutes to Midnight which wasn’t typically used as an encore tune. The closer was Run to the Hills, which was welcomed back especially in North America where it was not included on the Brave New World tour setlist. The setlist order was also very interesting. For the first time ever, The Number of the Beast opened the show. Hallowed Be Thy Name was also included very early on, even though both songs were traditionally saved for the end. This made the setlist more exciting and unpredictable.

The stage set was also a celebration of the band’s history, featuring a collage of various Eddie’s that even extended to the background (which shrunk the space normally used for drapes). The Ed Hunter walk on Eddie was finally retired and replaced with a regal Eddie in the style of Edward the Great, the compilation which was released a year earlier. The big Eddie (as well as the Eddie on the poster) was designed after the Visions of the Beast DVD and there was some brain action that brought back memories of the World Piece Tour 20 years earlier. It wasn’t an extremely elaborate stage set, especially compared to what followed, but it fit the theme of the tour perfectly.

As mentioned earlier, the tour started in Europe with the band hitting most of the major festivals including the very first Download festival at Castle Donington. It was the band’s third time headlining Donington after headlining Monsters of Rock there in 1988 and 1992. They also performed again at Rockslide and Graspop, both festivals that they hit on the Brave New World tour. Finally, they performed at Rock Am Ring, which was broadcast on TV and represents the best bootleg of the tour.

Rock Am Ring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHZcwBD6j6U

After finishing in Europe, the band headed across the Atlantic for a month of touring North America. They once again performed at amphitheaters of similar size to what they played on the Brave New World tour, although their popularity was beginning to grow already. Also similar to the Brave New World tour was that North America got a very impressive touring package. This time it was Motorhead and Dio, two legendary groups. On the other hand, North America also got a shorter set. 22 Acacia Avenue was left off the set entirely and several of the shows had three songs dropped due to venue curfews (Heaven Can Wait, Brave New World, and Bring Your Daughter To the Slaughter). Regardless, it was a successful tour that was especially appealing to the nostalgic fans who were mostly interested in hearing the classics.

Also, as a side note, the Give Me Ed Til I’m Dead tour happened to be my first time seeing Iron Maiden. I was a month away from turning 7 and this show made me a Maiden fan for life. I still remember quite a bit of it very vividly, although I’m also lucky that the show was immortalized in one of the better bootlegs from the tour. Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh8aqVDABHg

The tour wrapped up at the end of August and, a week later, Dance of Death was released.