Poll

What are your favorites of these Iron Maiden songs?

Strange World
11 (4.5%)
Innocent Exile
5 (2.1%)
Twilight Zone
4 (1.7%)
Invaders
14 (5.8%)
The Prisoner
25 (10.3%)
Die With Your Boots On
17 (7%)
Sun and Steel
6 (2.5%)
The Duellists
11 (4.5%)
Sea of Madness
23 (9.5%)
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
14 (5.8%)
The Prophecy
13 (5.4%)
Run Silent Run Deep
6 (2.5%)
Judas Be My Guide
12 (5%)
Look For the Truth
3 (1.2%)
The Unbeliever
6 (2.5%)
Lightning Strikes Twice
4 (1.7%)
The Educated Fool
5 (2.1%)
The Fallen Angel
11 (4.5%)
Montsegur
17 (7%)
New Frontier
2 (0.8%)
The Pilgrim
4 (1.7%)
Out of the Shadows
4 (1.7%)
Mother of Mercy
8 (3.3%)
The Alchemist
6 (2.5%)
When the River Runs Deep
6 (2.5%)
The Man Of Sorrows
5 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Senjutsu  (Read 184482 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Virtual XI (1998)
« Reply #1295 on: September 21, 2017, 10:09:46 AM »
If Steve Harris had written "Rock n Roll All Night" during this phase of his career, he would never got as far as "...and party every day."

AC/DC has infinitely more interesting and well rounded and less monotonous choruses than VXI.

In short: Shark Sandwich
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1296 on: September 21, 2017, 01:51:33 PM »
This album helped me learn how to edit tracks digitally. I liked Angel and the Gambler but couldn't take Blaze repeating the chorus ad nauseum.

I listened to the song several times and made some notes. Then I edited it removing only what I considered to be unnecessary chorus sections. I got the song down to just over 6 minutes long if I remember correctly. Found it much more enjoyable that way.

The album suffered in that it followed The X Factor which was just an excellent album.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1297 on: September 21, 2017, 01:56:16 PM »
I too have an edit version of the song somewhere, skipping completely the slow middle section.

It should have been an instrumental section - just imagine the slow buildup of Sign of the Cross' solo section being marred by "The sign of the cross, the name of the rose" repeated over and over.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #1298 on: September 22, 2017, 02:35:41 AM »
While I do feel this is Maiden's weakest album, it's not all horrible, and improves no end with TAATG removed. It's the keyboards trying to make a "parp parp" horn section sound all the way through it - horrible. The 7" single is at least short, and actually listenable.

The rest of the album is actually OK, but the whole thing feels like Maiden-by-Numbers, as if they're simply going through the motions. The flat production doesn't help either.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1299 on: September 22, 2017, 04:55:43 AM »
Probably their weakest album for me. The Clansman stands out as an incredible track on an otherwise mostly OK album, I don't hate TAatG as much as a lot of people here, but it's definitely dragged out and repeated way too much.

Sure, Maiden had a weak 90s overall, but in the context of where the album came out with Brave New World being the next Maiden album, and the solo albums Bruce was putting out at the time, Virtual XI just isn't that good.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1300 on: September 22, 2017, 08:12:36 AM »
While I do feel this is Maiden's weakest album, it's not all horrible, and improves no end with TAATG removed. It's the keyboards trying to make a "parp parp" horn section sound all the way through it - horrible.

That's actually the part I love the most!   

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1301 on: September 25, 2017, 09:46:45 PM »
Virtual XI Tour (1998)

A month after the release of Virtual XI, Maiden hit the road again. Maiden’s second tour with Blaze Bayley was very similar to the first. They continued to play smaller venues in Europe and, especially, America. They continued to do well in South America though. The setlist also relied heavily on most of the same songs, with the addition of new material. The tour was also cut short in the USA again.

The band’s stage show continued to evolve. Where The X Factour brought back some of Maiden’s more theatrical elements, the Virtual XI Tour took things to another level. This time, the stage was a recreation of the apocalyptic city depicted in the album artwork. The centerpiece, of course, was the giant inflatable Eddie during the band’s title track. Those familiar with the Somewhere On Tour Eddie will recognize it as a similar design. The main difference between the two Eddie’s (other than obviously different designs) was the placement of the hands and head. In 1986, Eddie’s hands were platforms for the band members to stand on and the head came from underneath the drum kit. In 1998, things were simplified quite a bit. Eddie’s head came up from behind the drums and his hands rested vertically at the sides of the stage. Still, it was a bombastic effect and one of the biggest Eddies they’d had in a long time. Of course there was also a walk on Eddie which was based off Ed Hunter and decorated in Iron Maiden football/soccer regalia. That particular Eddie proved to be one of their most enduring, being used three tours in a row.

Prior to the release of the album, the band really talked up how “live ready” it was. Clearly they meant it because seven out of the eight songs were played live. Virtual XI is just one of four albums to have less than 2 songs never played live (the other three being Killers, the debut, and A Matter of Life and Death). The one song not played live, Como Estais Amigo, was probably the only song on the album that didn’t have the typical Maiden live energy. Although it’s a bit of a surprise that they never played it in Argentina. Unfortunately, not all Virtual XI songs survived the tour. Don’t Look To the Eyes of a Stranger was dropped very early on and The Educated Fool was not played at every gig, although it appeared at most shows. Regardless, it was great that Maiden were continuing to fully embrace their new music 20 years into their career. Even if it was perhaps partly due to Blaze’s limitations as a vocalist. Unfortunately, Maiden weren’t quite as daring with their back catalog. The majority of the rest of the setlist was made up of songs played on the previous tour (which were also songs that were features on Bruce’s last tours with the band). Only two new songs from the back catalog were added on the tour: Sanctuary and Murders In the Rue Morgue. The latter was a very cool surprise, having not been played since 1986, however it was unfortunately dropped very early in the tour. While it was a relatively safe setlist, it was pretty long for Maiden standards, Most Maiden shows tend to be 15-16 songs, but the band were playing 19-21 songs on this tour, depending on the gig.

The tour kicked off with an old 90’s Maiden favorite: a secret gig. This time it was in the UK and under the band name The Angel and the Gamblers. This show was historic for the band because it also happened to be their longest ever. The band performed a whopping 26 songs featuring both the regular Virtual XI setlist and 6 of the 7 songs played live from The X Factor (only The Edge of Darkness was left out). The show was basically a combination of the Virtual XI tour and X Factour setlists. It ended up featuring nearly every single song Blaze performed with the band (notice Run To the Hills was never performed with Blaze). According to Blaze, the concert was over 3 hours long and there was even an intermission. Michael Kenney, Steve’s bass tech and live keyboardist, even appeared on stage with the band. Unfortunately, no bootlegs have surfaced of this gig, although there are some pictures to document it.

The tour proper began, as usual, in Europe. The European tour was actually split into two. They spent a month in Europe before heading to the USA and then returned to Europe for more shows. A lot of time during the European tours was spent in Germany, France and Italy. They also had what was probably their biggest tour of the UK since 1990, although it was still a fraction of what they used to do out there.

Unfortunately, the US tour was not much of an improvement from the X Factour. The band, with Dio as an opening act, were once again relegated to smaller venues than they were used to. Although some of the venues were actually a little bigger than before, possibly because of a strong opening act or the beginning of Metal making a resurgence. In fact, some of the venues on the tour dates will be familiar to Dream Theater fans. For example, the band played Roseland Ballroom on this tour. Regardless, it was still a pretty large step down from Radio City Music Hall or Madison Square Garden. Ticket sales were also low. To make matters worse, a large string of dates was once again cancelled. The official reason was Blaze having an allergic reaction to pollen. Two of the dates were rescheduled and the North American leg wrapped up in Mexico.

In another similarity to the previous tour, the band found the most success yet again in South America. However, there were some complications on this part of the tour as well. Two shows were cancelled, the first due to security issues and the second due to political tensions between Chile and Britain. The first show of the tour was also one of the few Maiden shows without an encore. Otherwise, these shows were once again the highlight of the tour. Maiden were playing in stadiums in front of large crowds and most shows were again broadcast around the country.

The performances varied through the tour. Blaze clearly struggled with the two hour shows and the typical grueling schedule of a band at Maiden’s level. It was true that Virtual XI was live ready and the live renditions proved it. The band’s live performances still maintained the energy that much of the album lacked. Still, the tour is probably best remembered for the cancelled dates and Blaze’s eventual dismissal from the band. The inflatables also weren’t the only similarity between the Virtual XI and Somewhere On Time tours. This was also another tour where most of the songs were never played live again.

Two bootlegs from this tour. The first is a soundboard recording from Madrid. It’s early in the tour and features the typical setlist, including The Educated Fool. It’s pretty good quality and the band is in good shape. The second is a TV broadcast of Blaze’s last performance with Maiden. The setlist had been trimmed down quite a bit by then, but you get to see the stage show in a venue that gives justice to its magnitude. Also in typical Maiden style, the tempos have begun to reach a breakneck pace.

Madrid: https://www.dropbox.com/s/00r275mjoxnfk7e/1998-05-19%20-%20Madrid%2C%20Spain%20-%20V1%20%2863.17%2C%2067.30%29.zip?dl=0

Argentina: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA8tFD5UurA&

Next week: The Chemical Wedding, followed by Blaze’s departure and solo career + Ed Hunter

New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline MirrorMask

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Virtual XI Tour (1998)
« Reply #1302 on: September 26, 2017, 01:31:45 AM »
With Virtual XI's tour, begins the story of my Maiden concerts.

Their May 1998 concert in Milan was my first concert EVER - well, technically my father had brought me in the deposit of the milan tramways to see a folk / pop italian band, but I really didn't care for it and didn't pay attention (actually the band has a huge following and they're around since the '60s, they mix pop with the occasional folk and rock, they're a good band in the end, I just didn't care as a young teen for them), so Maiden's was my first "real" concert.

From that moment on, I would see EVERY Maiden tour in Italy, with only 2 exceptions: the Gimme the Ed 2003 summer tour (at the very least, I saw a live streaming of the Nurbugring gig, it's not the same thing of course, but better than nothing), and the 2010 Final Frontier early leg where it was reunion songs galore (which to this day remains sadly the only tour since 1998 that I hadn't seen a full performance of - be it live or, as mentioned before, through a live streaming as it was happening).

All things considered, it was my "worst" Maiden gig, if only for being the only one I saw without Bruce. But of course I liked it back then, and I got the additional bonus of seeing Helloween opening for them. My first time with Helloween as well, another band I would never miss again with every tour.

All setlists reports indicate that the Virtual XI songs were scattered through the set, but to this day I could swear that they played them in pairs: opening with Futureal and Angel, and then after Man on the Edge and Heaven Can Wait, another pair of Lightning and Clansman and eventually the final pair of Collide / Educated fool.

I was a young and shy teen back then, so I still remember asking way back in February, for a May gig, "Can I go to the Iron Maiden concert?", right before leaving with my schoolmates for a school trip to Paris  :D eventually the matter of going to concerts would become "Oh, tomorrow I have a concert I'll go to, bye"  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1303 on: September 30, 2017, 03:13:13 PM »
Well the interest in this probably accurately reflects the interest in the band at the time.  :lol

Thanks for the contribution MirrorMask. Virtual XI tour would be a cool place to start, especially since you got to see their return to popularity.

Still working on Chemical Wedding, going to post something on Blaze's solo career to fill the gap.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1304 on: September 30, 2017, 03:20:02 PM »
Well the interest in this probably accurately reflects the interest in the band at the time.  :lol

That's what I was thinking, I wanted to post "Hey, am I the only one who even bothered back then to see them?"  ;D

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1305 on: September 30, 2017, 03:42:13 PM »
I was 2 during the Virtual XI tour, but looking at the tour dates they were scheduled to play the same venue here in Denver that Dream Theater always plays. It's a great theater and a Maiden show there would've been incredible.

Unfortunately, that was among the cancelled NA shows.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1306 on: September 30, 2017, 04:07:15 PM »
Blaze Solo Albums
In the interest of moving forward with the discussion, we aren’t going to talk in depth about any of the Blaze albums, but I thought I’d open some discussion on his solo career. Here’s some brief comments on his first three solo albums:

Silicon Messiah (2000)

Widely regarded as Blaze’s best solo album and considered by many to be better than anything he did with Maiden. The music is heavier than Maiden and far better suited to his voice. Blaze had also improved as a singer a ton since leaving Maiden and it shows on the album. There are some songs that seem like they could’ve been on a third Blaze Maiden album, but there’s also a lot of un-Maiden stuff and a pretty large Power Metal influence. The album also features a loose theme that deals with technology and singularity. Lyrically it’s a definite progression from Virtual XI.

Upon leaving Maiden, Blaze was allowed to stay on their label to release solo music. This backfired on him in a way when Sanctuary decided to release the album around the same time as Maiden’s Brave New World. I don’t think the management were intentionally trying to sink Blaze’s album, as some have suggested, but it definitely wasn’t a helpful move in retrospect. Silicon Messiah was largely overshadowed by Brave New World. Still, as I mentioned earlier, it’s a fantastic album that is worthy of being in Brave New World’s shadow.

Recommended songs: Ghost In the Machine, Stare at the Sun, Silicon Messiah, Born As a Stranger

Tenth Dimension (2002)

Very similar to Silicon Messiah, although not quite at the same level of quality. The science fiction element remains, although this time it’s more based around quantum physics and space. Tenth Dimension was originally meant to be an all out concept album but the rest of the band were against the idea (despite being marketed as a solo album, they functioned as a normal band).

Despite not being a completed vision, it’s another great album. Blaze continues to improve as a vocalist and a lyricist and you start to realize that he never reached his full potential in Maiden. You also realize that the kind of music Maiden make doesn’t fit him quite as well.

Recommended songs: Kill and Destroy, Speed of Light, Tenth Dimension, End Dream

As Live As It Gets (2003)

A live album. This is actually what I recommend first to anyone looking to get into Blaze’s solo work. It features the best material from his first two albums, some Wolfsbane, and a healthy dose of Maiden. Among the Maiden selections is Virus, a song the band never performed live. Blaze sounds really good and the album is full of energy. Exactly what a live album should be. It was this album more than anything else that made me appreciate Blaze as a vocalist and performer.

Following As Live As It Gets, the original Blaze band experienced some lineup changes. Eventually, the albums started to be released under the Blaze Bayley name. I’m not too familiar with the work he did after Blood and Belief, but some of it is really popular among fans. Hopefully some people here have followed his later career who would be willing to chime in. Otherwise, maybe this is a good start for those who have never listened to his solo work.

Offline Mladen

Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: Blaze Bayley's Solo Career
« Reply #1307 on: October 01, 2017, 05:07:54 AM »
Ooh, nice. Silicon messiah is fantastic and most people think of it as Blaze's best solo album, although I slightly prefer the Blaze Bayley band era (2008 - 2010). However, despite the amazingness of songs like Ghost in the machine, Born as a stranger, Stare at the sun, The Brave and many others, the album wasn't too successful mostly because it was released on the exact same date as Brave new world. So unfortunate.

Tenth dimension is good but I don't like it as much as other people do. The live album that came after it, however, is fantastic. Blaze's vocals on it are mindblowing, as well as on the studio releases. I love his performance on The X Factor, but this is even more impressive.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1308 on: October 01, 2017, 07:01:33 AM »
Virtual XI Tour (1998)

Somehow, I missed this entry.

Anyway, after missing TXF tour, I was quite bummed that Maiden didn't even have a VXI date scheduled for Providence/Boston. I think there was a date in Connecticut, that may have gotten cancelled anyway.
We planned a trip to Arizona in July of 1998. We spent a few nights in Sedona, and then three nights in Scottsdale. Just so happened that Maiden was in Phoenix while we were in Scottsdale. In one of life's great miracles, I talked my wife into going to the Maiden/Dio show at the Celebrity Theater. (We also hit a Diamondbacks game!)

A very small place. Also cool was that Alice Cooper was standing by the side of the stage, not far from us, and even went up for the Heaven Can Wait crowd part. Every miracle though is met with a  :facepalm: and for some reason I didn't bring my camera.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1309 on: October 01, 2017, 01:10:52 PM »
Talk about one time not to bring the camera.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1310 on: October 01, 2017, 01:16:33 PM »
Yeah, we left it at the hotel. The Celebrity was in kind of a shitty area. And of course, this was long before cell phone cameras.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1311 on: October 01, 2017, 01:31:36 PM »
Blaze's two solo albums are excellent, and more fitting for his voice than his two Maiden albums. The first has monster songs: Ghost in the Machine, The Lunch, Silicon Messiah, The Hunger, and Stare at the Sun which is better than anything on Virtual XI minus The Clansman.

Tenth Dimension is also crammed with great songs, as the title track (nice reprise at the end of the album!) and basically everything up until Meant to Be, once again a great melanchonic ballad like The Hunger. Pity the line-up changes would beign shortly after and also a shift in style happened, this band really had potential.

Saw Blaze opening for Helloween in 2001, great energetic show. Opening with The Launch and then going straight into Futureal was a badass move, at one time the lights in the venue suddenly went out but they managed to keep playing. I have a flashback of Blaze concentrated near to the drums to hear better the rhytm because the crowd was so loud. In retrospect, a brilliant opening act.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: October 02, 2017, 04:36:53 AM »
Most of Blaze's solo career is a win.  The first two are just perfect metal and Blood and Belief isn't far behind.  The Man Who Would Not Die would be my fav as it's raw, heavy and has so much energy.  I'm loving Promise and Terror more and more too.  The last two he did was solid and The King of Metal was the only real misstep in his catalog.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1313 on: October 02, 2017, 06:49:44 AM »
Never heard it, Blaze's and also Paul Di Anno solo albums were never in cd player, I will have to change it straight away after reading Your comments about Silicon Messiah.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1314 on: October 02, 2017, 06:51:28 AM »
Silicon Messiah is amazing.  I can't remember when I got it, just that I was in college, so sometime in the late 90's - probably around when I got The Chemical Wedding and got into Bruce's solo career as well. 

I've always loved this album and felt that it represented Blaze much better than the two Maiden albums did.  It's dark, heavy and just a killer straight-up metal record with some Maiden-esque feel (BORN AS A STRANGER!).  The live album is awesome, though I sold it a handful of years ago when I decided to get rid of about 1/4 to 1/3 of my collection.  I kept digital copies though, so I still listen to it often.  This thread gave me the reason to re-engage my enjoyment of Blaze's music, and I ended up buy The Man That Did Not Die a few weeks ago.

Kudos!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1315 on: October 02, 2017, 07:25:39 AM »
Silicon Messiah is amazing.  I can't remember when I got it, just that I was in college, so sometime in the late 90's - probably around when I got The Chemical Wedding and got into Bruce's solo career as well. 

Well, so late '90s that it was already the 00's - Silicon Messiah came out in 2000  :D

I've always loved this album and felt that it represented Blaze much better than the two Maiden albums did.  It's dark, heavy and just a killer straight-up metal record with some Maiden-esque feel (BORN AS A STRANGER!). 

For me the most Maidensque song is Stare at the Sun. Awesome track. And I agree that this album is a better representation of Blaze than his Maiden albums.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1316 on: October 02, 2017, 07:36:12 AM »
Well I didn't feel like looking it up, so I got the years wrong - but I knew it was around that time frame, since I was in college from 1998-2002.    :)

So I bought Silicon Messiah about two years after I got Chemical Wedding.  Doesn't change my enjoyment of the album!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1317 on: October 02, 2017, 07:49:56 AM »
Agree with everyone else. Silicon Messiah is a wonderful album with The Tenth Dimension only behind by a hair. Blood and Belief isn't as good as either of those but is still listenable. The quality drops off a cliff face for me from that point, though, with each album becoming more monotonous in pacing and feel than the last. However, the last two albums have picked up again despite some over the top cheesy faux-operatic vocals. Really must work out the story.

As for the Virtual XI tour, I saw Maiden twice: in Brixton (I lived in Bournemouth at the time and missed the last bus home. Had to spend the entire night in the freezing cold on the streets of London. Sends shivers down my spine even now!), and in Portsmouth later in the tour. I was right down the front in Portsmouth and succeeded in getting my hand caught in Nicko's hairband when I ruffled his hair during the thanks at the end of the show. (I managed to stroke Blaze Bayley's chin once while he was singing during a Wolfsbane show back in the early 90s. Strange but true!) Just looking at the setlist for those two shows, they were identical with the exception of Lord of the Flies and The Clairvoyant being absent from the later show.

Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Art

« Reply #1318 on: October 02, 2017, 10:00:36 AM »
As for Blaze's career, i am a big supporter and Sillicon messiah is an incredible album. Top notch heavy metal.

About the Virtual XI tour, i saw them in Sao Paulo with Helloween opening,and i was also at the cancelled show in Campinas (a city near Sao Paulo)that should've happened a day earlier. I actually remember more about the cancelled gig than the Sao Paulo one. People were in line in front the stadium since the day before waiting for the show (i got there around noon, i think). They let everybody in around 2/3pm and just by looking at the tiny, poor looking stage i thought to myself: "no way iron Maiden is playing this show". It rained all day, and suddenly around 7/8 pm (i think) the PA system announces that the show is cancelled. All hell started to break loose, people started fighting, ripping off the floor (some plastic stuff that was covering the grass of the soccer field), throwing chairs, etc.

Me and my friends managed to sneak off, but outside the police were already launching tear gas and mace at everybody. I went back to Sao Paulo by bus in the same day (it's just one hour away) and the next day i caught the show here. My original plan was to see them 2 times.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 12:46:08 PM by Art »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1319 on: October 02, 2017, 11:31:38 AM »
Wow. Good that you managed to stay out of trouble! Pity it had to come down to that.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1320 on: October 02, 2017, 04:09:47 PM »
I didn't jump on Blaze solo right away. But I eventually caught up, and most if it is excellent.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1321 on: October 02, 2017, 05:35:11 PM »
Never heard it, Blaze's and also Paul Di Anno solo albums were never in cd player, I will have to change it straight away after reading Your comments about Silicon Messiah.

Silicon Messiah is metal perfection.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1322 on: October 02, 2017, 06:47:03 PM »
I got turned onto Blaze's solo music from his live album.  It's really good and it was because of The Virus, my friend really likes that song and found that Blaze had a live album where he performed it so we had to get the album and we found his original stuff was really good.  Which lead to me getting his first three solo albums and all three are great.  I haven't listened to them in awhile and can't say for sure which one I like the most, they are all very strong.  And Blaze does sound so much better on these, it makes those IM albums sound like shit in comparison. 

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #1323 on: October 03, 2017, 07:04:15 AM »
Been following this thread pretty much since it started, fantastic write ups for each one and actually got me to dig out and rediscover my love for Maiden. I do still need to check out the Blaze material just to see for myself how it is but I did give Silicon Messiah a listen after reading the write up and discussion here and was stunned by how good it was. Definitely going to give the rest of his stuff a listen now.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1324 on: October 03, 2017, 07:06:28 AM »
I did give Silicon Messiah a listen after reading the write up and discussion here and was stunned by how good it was. Definitely going to give the rest of his stuff a listen now.

Yay! expect many more great songs, especially on The Tenth Dimension  :tup

Offline stargazer18

« Reply #1325 on: October 04, 2017, 05:55:15 PM »
Falling way behind in keeping up with this thread so I'll keep it to the highlights.

In the summer of 1997 I changed jobs and during the week I was off prior to starting my new job I picked up most of Rush's 80's stuff including Signals, Grace Under Pressure and Moving Pictures. I already owned Hold Your Fire (Love It!) and Moving Pictures. Needless to say my listening time was mostly filled with Rush.

Around this time I also heard Darkside of Aquarius off of Bruce's solo album and was blown away! It was clearly the best thing to come out of him or Maiden at the time. I picked up Accident of Birth at the used CD store for $3 (I was cautious about throwing my money away  :lol) It was a wise purchase.

So when VI was released I picked it up the first day it came out, mostly out of respect for the band that I still highly regarded even if more for what they had done in their 80's glory days than what they had done during the decade of the 90's. But after my first listen I really liked this album. It seemed as though they were making an attempt to capture the kind of sound that made them famous - soaring guitar melodies and catchy choruses.Yeah, The Angel and the Gambler could have been cut back a bit but to be honest I like the first six songs on the disc. Futureal is okay but probably my least favorite of the first six songs. The last two don't do a lot for me. I agree with others that The Clansman is a top shelf song - easily in my top 10 Maiden songs. In hindsight I think the direction that this album went in regards to the soaring choruses really pointed out the short comings of Blaze.

I think my opinion of VI at the time was less critical than others because I had so much other "new to me" music to listen to that my enjoyment was not dependent on the latest CD from them.

What follows is not related to Maiden but is about one of their fellow NWOBHM bands, Saxon. It fits this period in my life so I thought I would share.

I was browsing the local record store and picked up Saxon's latest live release at the time, The Eagle Has Landed – Part II. I was a pretty big Saxon fan and even enjoyed their late 80's stuff that ventured a little into the pop/glam metal area before they too fell out of popularity, even more so than Maiden it seemed. I was really blown away by the songs on this live album especially the ones that they made after 1990. Of course the record store had very few Saxon CD's and none of the stuff made during the 90's.

It was about this time that e-commerce was beginning to become a viable means to purchase stuff via a computer on the Internet. I found an online CD store that had ALL of the Saxon albums in stock so I added Solid Ball of Rock, Forever Free, Dog's of War and Unleash the Beast to my collection. I have to say that while Maiden were plugging along with some hit and miss albums during this time I was mightily impressed with Saxon's output. Like Maiden they too cultivated a sound and took it as far as they could. Not everything is top shelf but I would say 90 percent of the music on the 4 albums listed above is good to great. Needless to say I purchased Metalhead when it came out in 1999 and even though about half is just okay the other half is excellent as well.

I lost interest with Killing Ground but have read (but not heard) that some of the albums released in the 2000's are pretty good to great.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1326 on: October 08, 2017, 08:41:51 PM »
Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding (1998)

Released just 4 months after Virtual XI, The Chemical Wedding marked the first time Maiden and Bruce Dickinson were in direct competition. Maiden were going back to a more traditional sound with Virtual XI and Bruce was finally embracing his Metal side again. There was no question that the two camps were running a parallel course.

Accident Of Birth was a critical and commercial success for Bruce, outselling Skunkworks by a pretty large margin and receiving universal acclaim. As such, it only made sense for Bruce to use the same musicians and further develop the sound of Accident of Birth for the follow-up. The Chemical Wedding was however not to be a retread. This time the music was heavier, darker, and more progressive.

The Chemical Wedding is also unique for being the closest Bruce has come to making a concept album. The initial inspiration came from the paintings and poems of 19th Century artist William Blake. Bruce has stated that he frequently visits bookstores for art books and his inspiration for music often comes from images. His first exposure to Blake’s work came in the form of album artwork for Death Walks Behind You by 70’s progressive rock band Atomic Rooster. The album’s cover, which was Blake’s painting Nebuchadnezzar, also found its way inside the packaging for The Chemical Wedding. William Blake’s estate was so impressed with Bruce’s lyrics that they allowed him to use the work, along with all other Blake paintings, including “Ghost Of a Flea” which was used as the album cover. Other pieces used include “Satan Smiting Job With Sore Boils” and “The Good and Evil Angels”. Eddison, the puppet from Accident Of Birth was left out of this album, as Bruce felt that the album was “too heavy” for him.

However, the real inspiration was not from Blake’s paintings. Bruce was also enamored with Blake’s poetry, adapting it for spoken word interludes between songs on the album, performed by prog rock legend Arthur Brown (another one of Bruce’s childhood heroes). He also used Blake’s poem “And Did Those Feet” in the bulk of the lyrics for Jerusalem and based Book of Thel on the poem of the same name.

That being said, The Chemical Wedding is still not purely a concept album. It is heavily based on Blake’s work and alchemy, but there is no story or central theme that binds the songs together. Instead, it would be more accurate to compare its lyrical content to Dark Side of the Moon. Each song is centered around a theme that can be tied with other themes on the album. In this case, the theme is alchemy. According to Bruce, “This one is about alchemy and specifically the poetry of William Blake which is very much based on the philosophy of alchemy.” The alchemy themes are most apparent in the title track, The Tower, and The Alchemist. Gates of Urizen is about two brothers separated at birth and Trumpets of Jericho explores the idea of the Biblical Battle of Jericho failing.

The music on The Chemical Wedding is appropriately heavier, given the darker subject matter. Roy Z and Adrian Smith began to use bass strings on their guitars (similar to Petrucci’s baritone guitars) to give them a heavier tone and allow for low tunings. King In Crimson and Trumpets of Jericho in particular are tuned all the way down to A (the same A as on a bass). Just like the previous album, most of the songs were written by Bruce and Roy Z; however, Adrian also contributed a few tunes. This time he was a full member of the band from the start and his influence is felt a bit more. He also gets more solos (the solos are conveniently credited in the booklet, something that Maiden never did). His writing contributions include Killing Floor, Machine Men, and The Alchemist. Bassist Eddie Casillas also earned a writing credit on Book Of Thel.

The Chemical Wedding was even better received than Accident of Birth. It is widely considered not just Bruce’s best album, but one of the best Metal albums of all time. It had all the great qualities of Accident Of Birth but with an added sense of unity and a more adventurous take on the traditional Metal style. There was clearly a modern influence, Bruce often talked about bands like Fear Factory and Dimmu Borgir in interviews. Comparisons to Maiden were naturally abundant with many fans preferring The Chemical Wedding to Virtual XI. Still, Bruce handled the comparisons with total class. Two interview quotes about Maiden from promoting The Chemical Wedding:
Oh, I’m not going to go anywhere and start making comments on Maiden and stuff. There's too much respect between the guys in Maiden and me and me and the guys in Maiden. I don't go there.
And one of the reasons why we both get along with eachother is that we both kept this respectful distance about commenting on each other's past and things like that. We all have to live in the same universe and we share the same management. So it's a bit like being divorced and still sharing the same bathroom.

(source: https://mariseb0.tripod.com/interviews/bd_seriahazkath_98.htm )

Maiden weren’t asked about Bruce quite as much, but they were more complimentary to each other than earlier in the decade. Overall, both bands were completely respectful to each other which made the reunion more feasible and successful.

To this day, Bruce considers The Chemical Wedding to be his greatest solo effort and one of his crowning achievements. When speaking about his solo career in retrospect, he often states that it was necessary for him to do less successful projects like Skunkworks in order to get to The Chemical Wedding (and to an extent Brave New World). Years of creative confusion and doubt had finally paid off.

Scream For Me Brazil (1999)

Bruce hit the road to support The Chemical Wedding and this time there was an official album to document it. Recording in South America was an obvious choice as Bruce’s popularity was continuing to grow there. The fans are totally into it, check out how they sing along with Tears of a Dragon.

The setlist naturally had heavy focus on the latest album, with seven out of the ten cuts from The Chemical Wedding being performed (Jerusalem was also performed at a few shows but not on this recording). The show opened with six of the songs performed in a sequence with Bruce reciting Blake’s poetry in between. Like most of Bruce’s solo tours, the opening track was not the album opener, this time it was Trumpets of Jericho. The rest of his catalog was decently represented, with three songs from Accident of Birth and two songs from Balls to Picasso. Tattooed Millionaire was also played but not included on the CD for unknown reasons. There were also a few Maiden songs (nothing that wasn’t played on the previous tour) but those also weren’t included on the CD. Skunkworks was completely ignored again.

A video containing most of the show was also included on Bruce’s Anthology DVD (essential for fans of his solo work). The footage is just from the screen feeds that were shown during the concert, so it’s not particularly great quality, but still worth seeing.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Iron Maiden Discography Thread: The Chemical Wedding (1998)
« Reply #1327 on: October 08, 2017, 08:57:17 PM »
heavy metal perfection!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1328 on: October 08, 2017, 10:01:44 PM »
Best album ever!!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1329 on: October 08, 2017, 10:04:33 PM »
Speaking of Bruce being so respectful of Maiden during this time, I always wondered if he was having a but of a stab at them in Machine Men with the line 'Iron bites the dust.' Doesnt seem like him though.