Author Topic: Andertons - The Capt Meets The Mighty John Petrucci  (Read 4210 times)

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
Andertons - The Capt Meets The Mighty John Petrucci
« on: May 09, 2017, 03:53:20 AM »
I've only just started watching myself, but here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FazMQa6JLI

ETA: How am I expected to get any work done today??  :lol

Offline mikeyd23

Re: Andertons - The Capt Meets The Mighty John Petrucci
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 07:00:54 AM »
Wow! Two hours?! That's awesome, starting now...

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 11:01:33 AM »
I actually opened the video a few mins ago with the intention to watch it inmediately, then saw it's 2 hours long and... looks like I'll save it for later  :biggrin:

"People just don't have the time for videos anymore"  :lol

Jokes aside, you could listen to the whole TA instead and use just a little more time  :eek
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 11:35:48 AM »
I listened to the whole thing while working this morning. Pretty great interview, touches on John's start as a player, growing up, college, the early DT days, signature guitar stuff, signature amp stuff etc...

A couple interesting things he mentions at the end about what he is up to in the near future - Asia and NA I&W&B tour, his guitar camp in August, and then DT back in the studio early next year.

He does make a couple comments about the next album. He mentions they are working on a signature JP 8 string (there isn't a specific time table in place for it yet) and if it happens to be ready when DT are in the studio again, he wants to take it out of the box, experiment and see what happens to maybe use it on the next record. Basically, exactly what he did when he received his first 7 string during the Awake sessions, he took it out of the box and starting jamming on what would become The Mirror. He also confirmed the next album will not be a concept album (which we all figured) but also made another comment about him and the guys really wanting to do a metal-type, heavy album after TA. I think JR had mentioned this recently as well.

So nothing completely new, but definitely a couple cool confirmations and tidbits. Overall, really good interview. JP also plays throughout just jamming and then breaking down tones on channels of the JP2C and different effects he uses.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 12:17:38 PM »
Was there a time frame mentioned regarding the North American tour?

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 12:41:40 PM »

Nope, it kinda sounded like after his guitar camp thing in August, but it wasn't clear.

Offline V_R11

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 12:44:17 PM »

JLB said on twitter DT will be touring in September. It was in a reply to someone who asked if he'll take part in the Ayreon live show. I assume they'll tour USA then
Seasons change and so can I

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 12:45:47 PM »
Thanks guys for the response on my question.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 12:46:52 PM »
No problem, if I had to guess like V_R11 said, it will probably be in the fall after JP's guitar camp in August.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 01:34:40 PM »
Great video, even if was on the long side. I'm a big fan of those Andertons videos. You could tell that the Captain wasn't too familiar with DT, but even so, I like his casual, conversational style in his "meets" videos. The one with Paul Gilbert was really good as well.

I liked the in-depth (some might say "geeky"  :P) gear walkthrough. Both the MM guitars and the JP2c amp look fantastic - I just wish that stuff was a bit more affordable for mere mortals like me.

Sounds like what we've been hearing about the next album is correct, in terms of returning to a more straightforward, heavier record.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 02:38:56 PM »
I hope it's gonna be heavy but with the "restraint" of Dramatic and the self titled, I personally wouldn't like an album with many moments like the second half of This Dying Soul.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 03:15:02 PM »
nice to hear an 8string is in the works :-)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 03:20:39 PM »
I loved The Astonishing but i'd be fine with another Train of thought.

After a 130 min album I wouldn't be surprised if the album was another shorter one like DT12

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 06:30:26 AM »

After a 130 min album I wouldn't be surprised if the album was another shorter one like DT12

Pure speculation - based on the couple comments the band has made, I think the next DT record will be in the vein of ToT.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 02:50:57 PM »

Pure speculation - based on the couple comments the band has made, I think the next DT record will be in the vein of ToT.

I think you're right, but I would prefer a more balanced album. TOT was mostly fast agressive songs (and I like them all), I would like it to have a couple slower track, that could be heavy as well, just not fast/agressive/in your face metal songs.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 03:01:29 PM »
5 As I Am's

A couple of Vacants

& 1 In The Name Of God

:tup

Also - Train of Thought was written in like 3 weeks. I wouldn't be shocked if they'd want a similar fast turnaround this time seeing as how long Astonishing took to gestate.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 03:16:43 PM »
5 As I Am's

A couple of Vacants

& 1 In The Name Of God

Also - Train of Thought was written in like 3 weeks. I wouldn't be shocked if they'd want a similar fast turnaround this time seeing as how long Astonishing took to gestate.

Not what I meant, but it works :lol
I'd like it to be a more metal/technical version of DT12 with a different production and more MM involvement in the writing.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 03:24:51 PM »
5 As I Am's

A couple of Vacants

& 1 In The Name Of God

I wouldn't like it. I know you didn't mean it too much literally, but that many  heavy songs, not one but two experimental slower and possibly shorter tracks and the mandatory epic won't appeal too much to me.

Awake for me is the perfect blueprint of an heavy album, it doesn't have to sound like Awake, but short and concise songs, heavy as frack even without a gazillion notes (look at how simple is The Mirror's riff) and still room for a couple of a long songs and two different kinds of ballads would be nice. I want a 10 tracks album, a wide variety also in tracks lenght.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2017, 03:31:16 PM »
Awake for me is the perfect blueprint of an heavy album, it doesn't have to sound like Awake, but short and concise songs, heavy as frack even without a gazillion notes (look at how simple is The Mirror's riff) and still room for a couple of a long songs and two different kinds of ballads would be nice. I want a 10 tracks album, a wide variety also in tracks lenght.

I bolded the things I would really like it to have too. A few longer songs, like ADTOE had, would be great.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2017, 03:32:50 PM »
Yes. 10 tracks. All decent length. Couple long songs and one epic.

75 minute album.

1 Epic

3 shorter ballady songs

5 all out heavy songs

1 intro

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2017, 03:43:08 PM »
Speaking about the intro, one totally random thought that crossed my head, it would be cool if said intro would be an instrumental portion of the first song. A intro that could be played live, something more than The Hellion for Eletric Eye but less long and bloated than In the Presence of Enemies' Prelude. Their own version, to make a more fitting example, of For Whom the Bell Tolls' intro, which is definitively tied to the song and not an instrumental detour, that could work well as a live intro for the shows.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2017, 03:51:26 PM »
Kind of like Overture 1928 is to Strange Deja Vu

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2017, 04:22:26 PM »
Or basically FAS if they actually played it live (I think it works great before TEI)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2017, 01:05:23 AM »
Or basically FAS if they actually played it live (I think it works great before TEI)

Yeah, something like this, especially if FAS would segue directly into The Enemy Inside without a pause.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2017, 02:23:26 AM »
Really enjoyed watching that last night. The 8 string for the next album worries me. I'm not a fan of the 7 string. A guitar has no business being down that low as far as I'm concerned.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2017, 06:02:15 AM »
Really enjoyed watching that last night. The 8 string for the next album worries me. I'm not a fan of the 7 string. A guitar has no business being down that low as far as I'm concerned.

For me, the guitar/bass lowest string range difference should ideally be no less than an octave. Since JM uses a six string bass, JP using a seven string guitar is fine but if he uses the eight string solely to chug the low F#, that mixed with JR's snarling pig keyboard sound will completely drown out the bass. I hope he uses it more like Tosin Abasi, utilizing the entire range of the guitar to do large sweeps, strange chord voicings, and multiple octave tapping. If he just chugs the low F#, then he might as well tune his seven string down and save himself and Ernie Ball/Music Man time and money.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2017, 09:00:52 AM »
Man, that was a delight to watch. I'm not even that interested on a technical level because my guitar style is very different, but again what a pleasant and passionate vibe JP's got going on.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline PetFish

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2017, 11:54:35 PM »
I'm shocked I watched the whole thing cuz I already know JP so well.

Holy crap what a lot of stuff going on.  We all know JP, but to see a great and enthusiastic interviewer to be our voice is really amazing.  Awesome.

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2017, 08:06:10 AM »
Lee's interviews are amazing. They are usually far away from the same old boring questions the guests are used to and tired of answering, very human and down to earth instead. That results in a comfortable atmosphere and JP was obviously relaxed and had a good time. In fact it seemed to me Lee got way more content and details than expected. There are a few moments with the Captain slightly overwhelmed and without a clue how to stop the gift called JP from giving and going on and on and on. I found that immensely amusing. :biggrin:

Greetings...
Nef

Offline Cable

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2017, 01:36:55 PM »

For me, the guitar/bass lowest string range difference should ideally be no less than an octave. Since JM uses a six string bass, JP using a seven string guitar is fine but if he uses the eight string solely to chug the low F#, that mixed with JR's snarling pig keyboard sound will completely drown out the bass. I hope he uses it more like Tosin Abasi, utilizing the entire range of the guitar to do large sweeps, strange chord voicings, and multiple octave tapping. If he just chugs the low F#, then he might as well tune his seven string down and save himself and Ernie Ball/Music Man time and money.

I have already said it in another thread here, but I'm not a fan of 8 strings. I am all for sevens and five and six string basses- I have a seven string guitar and six string bass. Going underneath A, notes start to lose it though. Especially if the scale length is not modified.

Low F# wise, it can be done decently with the bass being an octave below, evidenced with Periphery;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUeWJjZB_nQ

Nolly plays (rig explained before). https://youtu.be/lMxbP1V3WBo?t=10m25s

But reading the comments, and I agree here; most of the sound are the harmonic overtones or whatever, and not the pure F#. I couldn't find it, but this guy https://www.youtube.com/user/havic5 somewhere mentioned that we actually cannot hear the low E on a bass. But rather, our brain fills in the frequency or something like that. Outside of all the technical talk, and at the end of the day an eight in standard tuning so to speak is a whole step off of a standard 4 string bass in pitch. That is kind of absurd, considering the bass is physically a different instrument to accommodate the lower notes.

All that said, if I was in a band that had eight strings, I'd do the octave below thing. *sigh*

« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 07:45:49 PM by CableX »
---

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2017, 04:10:47 PM »
Got through most of it.  Very interesting.   :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Evai

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2017, 04:29:49 PM »
JP covering up for the loss of JLB's high F#, with his own low F#. A fair trade off :P
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2017, 12:26:59 AM »
Oh, man, now I really would love to see "Phyco Exercises Petrucci" do parody of this interview.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2017, 01:00:27 PM »
Lee's interviews are amazing. They are usually far away from the same old boring questions the guests are used to and tired of answering, very human and down to earth instead. That results in a comfortable atmosphere and JP was obviously relaxed and had a good time. In fact it seemed to me Lee got way more content and details than expected. There are a few moments with the Captain slightly overwhelmed and without a clue how to stop the gift called JP from giving and going on and on and on. I found that immensely amusing. :biggrin:

Greetings...
Nef

All of this. It's just such a nice interview and JP is such a great guy
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants.