Author Topic: Parama's Confrontational Roulette v2.5 (Quick Album Reviews)  (Read 68657 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Parama's Confrontational Roulette v2.5 (Roulette Best-Of Discs)
« Reply #1155 on: October 09, 2017, 12:22:43 PM »
I wanted to check it out to see if at least one of my songs made it, but I won't bother with two CDs worth of music without tracklists, sorry Parama.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1156 on: October 09, 2017, 12:27:43 PM »
I mean, that's the point, the focus is on sharing good music, not "did I make it okay I did time to ignore the rest"

So, your loss  :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #1157 on: October 09, 2017, 12:40:43 PM »
For me it was more like "ok I just finished this song, curious to read your thoughts on it (in some cases "wow really you actually liked this? why??") oh guess I can't because there's no title". Can you at least send it in a PM or something, some stuff on the metal one was pretty good so maybe I can find some cool new albums. Haven't checked the other disc yet but will do so tomorrow

Btw Saloon (title track)>Amends :corn
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1158 on: October 09, 2017, 12:51:57 PM »
I've posted links to 99% of the roulette songs already but I can send a tracklist over PM I guess
But you could find all of them just by checking out part 2 results tbh, everything on the CDs got at least 8.25 (one of these got 8 originally but got bumped up on relisten, and might have been too low even then, slight spoilers)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1159 on: October 09, 2017, 05:45:42 PM »
I have every intention of checking out your best of discs dude. It may take a while but I'll try!

I'm hoping I'm the one that made it onto both discs  :corn

Btw Saloon (title track)>Amends :corn

Errr, no.

Come on Train, don't make this a world where I agree with Parama more than I agree with you!!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1160 on: October 09, 2017, 10:01:18 PM »
I mean, you could have always included the tracklist in the CDs' metadata as a comment or something, to force us download the thing at least :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1161 on: October 09, 2017, 10:50:28 PM »
not good enough, you gotta listen

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1162 on: October 10, 2017, 11:18:10 AM »
I mean, that's the point, the focus is on sharing good music, not "did I make it okay I did time to ignore the rest"

I mean yeah, that's exactly why I checked full best-of CDs in almost all of the other roulettes, tracklist or no. In yours, that would be more like two hours of suffering.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1163 on: October 10, 2017, 11:47:43 AM »
For what it's worth there's not a ton of harsh vocals even on the metal disc   :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1164 on: October 10, 2017, 02:34:35 PM »
Am listening to it anyways. This needs some volume normalizing :lol But nice stuff so far.

I mean yeah, that's exactly why I checked full best-of CDs in almost all of the other roulettes, tracklist or no. In yours, that would be more like two hours of suffering.
Am crafting the tracklist as I listen, I can send it to you via PM :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1165 on: October 10, 2017, 03:11:42 PM »
I didn't spend too much work putting everything together, shut up :V

I still got a few cool transitions anyways with like 15 minutes of work so

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1166 on: November 13, 2017, 02:10:05 PM »
I'm gonna update this later tonight with my thoughts on all the albums i checked out & how many made it into my recent purchases but it was somewhere in the range of 16-18 or so total I think? definitely felt like this roulette produced a lot more results than my last one. There's even a few that i still may get but just didn't fit in my order (which was already pretty big tbh)

I promise I won't bump this thread again after but this is definitely roulette relevant :lol
I also definitely know what change I want to make for the next roulette to encourage people to not only send good songs but to ensure they're good songs off good albums and not "the one good track on a meh album" like a fair few here turned out to be

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1167 on: November 13, 2017, 10:32:36 PM »
Okay, let's do this. Unless otherwise mentioned I am talking specifically about the album that the song(s) I was sent came off of. And I had no instance of getting the same artist across different albums.

CHVRCHES - I gave this album two listens through and both times it didn't really do a lot for me. Maybe I'd like it more if I'd listened to it more but I am more inclined to take the song I really do like and leave the rest.
Windir - This was close to being something I considered but ended up feeling too old-school for me, especially in the production and synths. Not bad at all, a pretty solid black metal record, but it didn't grab me strongly enough.
Kwoon - Vaguely pleasant but this was one of the scores that felt too high in hindsight to begin with and the song I was sent was far and away the best on the album to boot, so I ended up not being too into this overall.
Need - I kinda liked this one but that narration track killed a lot of the vibe for me and there just wasn't enough that stood out here. There were other pretty straightforward prog metal albums I did like and I did pick up a few of them in the end - just not this one.
Be'lakor - Gotta be honest, I found this one pretty dull. Melodic death metal by itself is not hugely my thing and this felt really samey the whole way through.
Dream the Electric Sleep - This band I may actually check out more but I can't say this album as a whole did it for me. The first two tracks were cool and the last few tracks were solid too but everything in the middle kind of fell into a blur and I lost interest.
Black Peaks - I mean I've been jamming this for months and still love it a lot, though Saviour is definitely the best track so, smart pick there.
Sleep Party People - I actually don't think I checked out this album in particular but their new one this year, which I didn't even finish, so I guess I just, didn't bother with anything else, lol.
Rx Bandits - I wanted to like this more than I did but the vocals were kind of a turn-off and musically a lot of it I didn't find that interesting. A few decent tracks but overall not something I see myself returning to.
Broods - Their overall sound is decent but boy does every song on this album feel underwritten and a little repetitive. That killed it for me more than anything else.
Votum - I just found nothing particularly notable about this. Hell, Vertical really only worked for me because of how the chorus kicked in, the rest of the song wasn't even that great and in hindsight I may have overrated that one.
Crippled Black Phoenix - A distressing amount of wasted potential because Scared and Alone is probably top 5 of the entire roulette but the rest of this album is just... late-era Solstafir, before the late-era Solstafir albums. So yeah, couldn't get too into it.
HAIM - I kinda dug this one but it did fall into feeling a bit samey and I really do have a hard time getting into more upbeat and fun albums like this one, unfortunately. May check it out again in the future but probably not.
Twelve Foot Ninja - I found this meh on first listen but actually a little insufferable on second listen. Their style of metal is not very interesting by itself, and while Dig For Bones is definitely the best track it can't really save the album. Also really short.
Oddland - So I ended up buying both of this band's albums. Untrue was a weird song pick IMO, that wasn't even really one of the standouts on either album. I think I may slightly prefer the first album's sound overall but I dug both of them, obviously. Cool stuff.
Eidola - I've been spinning their new one for a while and it's... okay, a few dud songs kind of kill the momentum for me and I don't think I *love* any track either. I also do have the one I got a song off of but haven't yet started spinning it, so we'll see about that one, but I remember liking it when I did listen.
Kaddisfly - I can't believe I almost slept on these guys because, wow, I really liked this album, a lot. On first listen it was kind of cool, Campfire has only continued to grow on me, but on second listen (and on picking out a few individual songs just to be sure) I found myself a lot more into it. It's basically just a better version of dredg's El Cielo. Fight me. I don't think El Cielo is that great, but this? Might just be.
Sunpocrisy - So this was basically an auto-buy, at least the album this track was off of. Hell yeah am I down for some prog sludge. Their second album is also... a curiosity more than something I was in love with immediately. It's a very slow burner but I feel like I'll really dig it if I'm a bit patient with it. I got the same feeling from the new dreadnought this year, which I also picked up.
Arena - I... couldn't figure out what the heck this album was going for. Sometimes it was just... the most non-descript metal, sometimes there was prog stuff, a bit of folk stuff. I think the only reason I finished was because the song I knew was right at the end. But yeah, did not click at all.
Eden Circus - Checked this out more on curiosity but also found it just too nondescript to really get much into. I don't remember anything else about it.
Low Roar - I think the overall tone of this was a bit brighter than I was expecting and I wasn't as into it as I'd wanted to be as a result. Tonight, Tonight is really good though, love the dark vibe, and it's not like any of this sounded bad either. Pleasant, but not that powerful.
Turbid North - Screw these guys. They load half of each of their albums with some pretty cool stuff (especially the last few tracks of Orogeny) but the other half of each album is garbage chugfest deathy stuff that I just cannot get any enjoyment out of. It's worse on their second album, which actually ends really poorly, but everything before Stormblast (and to an extent the song after it) gets on my nerves, could not get into either of these albums enough to want to even bother.
Manchester Orchestra - Yeah the tone of this album is completely different from the song I was sent and I preferred what I was sent to what else I found. Didn't finish. Oh well.
Adrift For Days - This was some pretty dull post-metal, not gonna lie. I even felt like I may have overrated the song in particular that I was sent after listening to this. It's just... ehh.
Junius - The song I was sent is off an EP but I mean, I did end up picking up their latest album. Which is a mixed bag. A few cool tracks, a few that annoy me, a few that are just meh. Take tracks 1, 6, 7, maybe 8, and 10 and leave the rest.
Disillusion - The production on this killed it more than anything else, but I just could not get into this quite enough - as far as metal goes this seems to be pretty revered and I do like the song I was sent a fair bit but a lot more of this just did not grab me. I listened through twice and neither time did I have any strong feelings regarding this one.
Airbag - I listened all the way through this but I didn't get a ton out of it. I have listened to Pink Floyd before. Their albums are better. I don't really need something that ends up feeling this derivative. It's not bad, just not memorable.
Oathbreaker - I listened halfway through this and turned it off. Like I said I'd already given this a chance last year and it didn't work for me then, and it doesn't work for me now. Just not very interesting.
Cønstantine - I actually did listen through at least some of this though I don't recall whether or not I finished it. That should tell you enough about how interesting I found it and how much I liked it.
Artificial Language - I had already listened to this before I was sent the song and I listened to it again for posterity. I can kind of get why this is getting so much love from a technical perspective but musically there's not a ton for me here. I don't like neoclassical. A few tracks hit upon some decent atmosphere at least.
Sufjan & Co. - I continue to not be able to get into a full Sufjan album here. Jupiter is one of the few tracks that feels like it has much of an identity and it remains fantastic but not much else on this album was all that engaging and too much of it felt too slow-paced and empty.
Nerve End - They only had an EP so I'll check 'em out again when they drop an album but I do like this sound. The Devin-esque vocals matched with the glittery atmospheric djent sound makes for a pleasant but still emotionally powerful sound, and while I wasn't hugely into the entire EP it didn't have a lot of time to stick with me, honestly.
Ilúvatar - I think I listened to like half of this and then turned it off. Yeah, sorry, fun, bouncy 90's prog is still not my thing.
Aquilus - So I spent the entire roulette spelling this band name wrong apparently. Nice. Anyways, this is another one where I felt like I wasn't massively into it but the style and concept of the album are really cool and I feel like with some patience I could really enjoy it. So yeah, did purchase this one.
Megosh - I listened all the way through this but wasn't that into it and don't remember a lot of it. Oh well.
Hypno5e - Congrats on sending me possibly the worst song on either of their latest two albums. I did listen through the first too and it had some moments but was too heavy on the metal I didn't like. And these guys do feel a bit stylistically limited but the cleans stuff is almost entirely great and the metal has its moments too, I'm just really curious about their sound in general I guess. Oh and I dig the concept of Shores.
Norma Jean - Eehhh no. Metalcore ain't for me still. The more atmospheric moments here are kind of cool but I found a lot of this too monochrome to get much enjoyment out of.
Omnium Gatherum - This entire album felt incredibly one-note to me and a bit boring. Shame, White Palace is at least pretty solid though it kind of suffers from the same problem.
Skuggsja - When I realized this was a Wardruna/Enslaved combo album (which I had not paid attention to at the time) I was basically immediately sold. And heck, I may not even like this that much? The metal feels... not as good as the best Enslaved stuff on its own but when mixed with the folky stuff it comes alive a lot better. I did also get the new Enslaved album too though which I am really excited about so this might just end up feeling inferior in comparison.
Suspyre - I checked out this album and was really surprised by it. Like, okay. They are aping dream theater HARD at some points (the instrumental of that song about sirens or whatever feels like someone really dug the winter instrumental of A Change of Seasons but also liked the main riff of 6:00) but the dream theater they ape is the stuff I like and they have some stuff of their own to add to the mix - the sax is cool, a lot better on some of the other songs than the one I was sent really. But no, was pleasantly surprised here. Also did check out their previous album but wasn't nearly as into it (and I know I've checked out their self-titled before too but I don't recall any of it)
Daughter - Took a second listen for this to really start working for me as a whole but man, a lot of these songs are really lovely stuff. I don't like Human much but that was the only real clunker for me, Shallows and Lifeform in particular might be just as good as Youth if not better. So yeah this got a purchase out of me.
Chaos Divine - I was actually more into this on first listen than on subsequent listens but there was still enough here for me to want to follow through and dig into this some more, it's some pretty solid prog metal stuff with a bit of a heavier edge that I like. Though, At the Ringing of the Siren was probably still my favorite.
This Day & Age - I kinda liked this but couldn't find myself too into it. Kaddisfly also took a lot of the wind out of its sails by doing a similar thing better.
Soup - Mmm yeah I prefer Pasta. But in all serious this just didn't do a ton for me. Was pleasant but not very engaging.
Chthonic - I'm sorry Luke but the one listen I gave this did little for me and while I may revisit at some point I'm probably more likely to just forget about these guys entirely.
Marillion - I didn't really expect to be too into this, and I was right, but I mean it was pleasant enough for the most part. Maybe a bit overlong.
The Ongoing Concept - Man, I wanted to like these guys more than I do. A lot of Handmade was just kind of ehh to me, and their new one was better, but it ended up not quite making the cut and got edged out by a few albums I liked more. Maybe I'll get around to them sometime.
Barren Earth - This was one that just barely made the cut but I liked the two epics a lot (especially the end of the song I was sent, which has only gotten better) and the shorter stuff was generally pretty cool too. I was into it enough that I wanted to keep spinning it just to see if it grew one me, I guess.
Arcane Roots - I have genuinely no clue what this album was trying to be and was mostly confused the entire time I listened to it, I don't even know how to rate this. I don't know what to say.
Gunship - A shining case of "excellent song, average album". I have a friend elsewhere who really digs this one too and given their tastes I can see why but this... was pretty ehh overall, none of the other songs felt like they took from the same well as Tech Noir.
Amy Shark - The aforementioned friend did not know this artist or song but really liked this one, and in hindsight this may be just slightly better than Tech Noir overall, I don't know. Drive You Mad, I mean. On the subject of the EP, it was okay. One other track I liked, the rest was meh, I'll check her out when she drops a full album for sure though.
Amendfoil - So I cut myself a hard limit of 30 albums (excluding Act II of Xanthochroid, which I already had and actually started spinning for real just today). This was #31. I'm sorry  :lol On a lighter note I'll almost certainly be getting this in the future, because it is pretty solid and there are a number of tracks that are pretty cool here, though it's a bit incohesive as an album. And Darken Waters is again the best here.
Glassjaw - I really do not like the sports announcer track or whatever it's called. I don't care about your heart being in the lead. It's annoying and overlong. Anyways the rest of this album is rad and absolutely the kind of emo/post-hardcore sound I want to dig into more, this is probably the angriest album I've ever enjoyed but it works here.
M83 - The track with the little girl speaking is one of the most insufferable things I've ever heard and very nearly ruined what is otherwise a surprisingly enjoyable album. I didn't have any expectations but both the individual songs and the album flow as a whole are pretty solid, even if it may be a bit overlong. But that one track man. I did end up picking this up though because 4 minutes out of 73 didn't get to me that much.
Tegan and Sara - I only just realized that I think this somehow ended up not getting a second listen even when I intended to give it one? Oops. I did enjoy the first listen I gave this even if it was a bit short. It's pleasant and fun. I may not have intended to give this a second listen but now I kind of want to, oops.
Kvelertak - Yeah, a whole album of this just didn't quite do it for me unfortunately, even if I did like the two songs I got individually. Did not get much from this.
Moon Safari - I only barely finished the album this was off of & checked out some of their double album too. Pretty much on point when you said they'd be too bright and cheery for me in general. Musicianship seems pretty solid though.
Killer Be Killed - I didn't make it through the second listen of this, it just didn't grab my attention much at all unfortunately. I dunno what else to say.
Kauan - Another one that I was really on the fence about but I didn't quite find it working well enough for me. I also check out Muistama or whatever it was called and found that one just as okay but never really reaching any sort of heights. With both of these I don't feel them quite strongly enough, I suppose. This may end up in a future order though.
Fishmans - I could see this kind of working, and I do like that main motif that the guitars play, but the repeated piano and the ba badum dum vocals and the really tedious third movement were all too offputting for me.
The Flower Kings - So I figured out that the song I was sent originally was minutes 2 through 7 of Circus Brimstone, and checked out the album based on that and. Well, it's too long. And not really my thing as a whole either. I dig the sound of Circus Brimstone but the band's general sound just doesn't work for me as well. Didn't listen to the epic at the end either so what do I know.

Okay, whew, that's done.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #1168 on: November 14, 2017, 12:05:56 AM »
I also definitely know what change I want to make for the next roulette to encourage people to not only send good songs but to ensure they're good songs off good albums and not "the one good track on a meh album" like a fair few here turned out to be
Like all of my albums apart Black Peaks  ;D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's Confrontational Roulette v2.5 (Quick Album Reviews)
« Reply #1169 on: November 14, 2017, 01:05:19 AM »
i mean to be fair you had some cool individual song entries but also a lot of duds that i didn't even check out the album for

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #1170 on: November 14, 2017, 01:32:53 AM »

We obviously think this is not the case on virtually any of the submissions so I don't expect someting like this to be very fruitful, whatever it would be.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Parama's Confrontational Roulette v2.5 (Quick Album Reviews)
« Reply #1171 on: November 14, 2017, 03:23:40 AM »
Well, apparently you shouldn't take recommendations from me  :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants.