Author Topic: Parama's Confrontational Roulette v2.5 (Quick Album Reviews)  (Read 68704 times)

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Parama's Confrontational Roulette v2.5 (Round 5 First Impressions)
« Reply #595 on: July 03, 2017, 06:07:56 AM »
Something like this? (0/6 correct ikr)

Train: Manchester Orchestra
Tomislav: unguessed song

I wonder who sent Low Roar....
These two are correct :tup

home: Low Roar (yes, I'm that smart)
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #596 on: July 03, 2017, 07:49:02 AM »
Luoto: Turbid North - St_r_b__st
Bolsters: Ellie Goulding- The Writer
???: Angels and Airwaves - Se_ret _r__ds
???: Adrift for Days - When the Knot Unties
???: Alice in Chains - Down in a Hole
???: Low Roar - Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
???: Lonely Robot - _re _e ___ies?
???: Manchester Orchestra - _ir_i_
???: E___ R_th R__d_e - The Sh_d__s __ __ ___e
???: Chronos Zero - The Compressionof Time

Letters Guessed:
BDEHIRST

Nekov waits 3
Bolsters waits 2
Luoto waits 1

Down in a Hole :hefdaddy one of my favorite song ever

Awesome, I get to disappoint two people instead of just one  :corn
Even Luke said he likes the song, so 3 people. And I bet the secondary judge won't like the song :lol

Four; I didn't send AiC, but if I did, Down In A Hole would be one of the three or four I would choose from.   It's a fucking classic song on every level (and even moreso when you add in the back story). 

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #597 on: July 04, 2017, 03:27:54 PM »
i'll try to get all the writeups done in the next two days ok.
:corn
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #598 on: July 04, 2017, 04:10:33 PM »
hello, i have 8 of 10 writeups done atm and it's 3 PM on tuesday

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #599 on: July 04, 2017, 05:03:32 PM »
Wow, your time is so slow

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #600 on: July 04, 2017, 05:20:36 PM »
Tomi sent Slow Roar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #601 on: July 04, 2017, 09:11:23 PM »
Round 5 Results

Bolsters: Ellie Goulding – The Writer

First Impressions:
I mean she is a kind of big name over here in the US, since around 2012 or so, but this predates her hits here so. Also, aside from Lights I haven’t actually cared much for her hits, honestly. At first I didn’t get that this was in a 9/12 cadence and though it was some awkward artsy 9/8 pop song but it makes more sense when the drums kick in. Anyways besides that. It’s honestly a really standard, bright, radio-friendly pop track. There’s at least a nice layer of textures in the backdrop and as a whole the song sounds nice and lush. But it’s probably just a bit too sugary for me and that’s a touch offputting.

Final Thoughts:
Yeah this is just definitely a bit too… bright, glittery, sugary, poppy for me. There’s just no undertone of anything at all going wrong in Goulding’s life here. She sounds completely lovestruck and it’s probably really romantic but it doesn’t resonate in the slightest for me.

Regardless of that I can appreciate how “nice” this song sounds. She’s a pretty decent singer, maybe a touch breathy but it’s not distracting, and the vocal melodies she’s given are pretty solid too, especially the bridge. And the production has a lot going on – piano and synths come to the forefront but there’s some strings in there alongside a guitar/bass/drums rock trio. It kind of gives it a late 90’s/early 00’s vibe from the instrumentation honestly.

But there’s really not a ton else to say here – it’s just a solid pop song that I don’t find especially memorable or compelling. Can’t really knock it, but can’t say I’m too interested in it either.

6.25/10

Tomislav95: Emma Ruth Rundle – The Shadows of My Name

First Impressions:
Time for the Tomislav indie stuff hour. I worry that this is going to stay too minimal for me if it keeps on the path it’s going but I can also see it having the potential to come alive and I hope it does. Her voice is quite nice and I do like the touches of atmosphere in the background. It’s subtle but I think it works, assuming there’s something it’s going to build to off of it. Okay yeah it does take its time but there’s at least a bit of swell near the end. I don’t know if it’s quite enough though.

Final Thoughts:
There’s nothing really wrong with this song, but at the same time I just… don’t find much compelling about it. There’s a faint groove driven by the guitar line during the quieter moments that kind of gives this some appeal, and her voice is pretty nice, not really a powerhouse during the quieter moments but emotional enough to work.

And the “loud” moments of this especially I do like the vocals, though I don’t think the music has quite enough power to back it up, even if it’s doing more than the rest of the song. Again I have to stress that it doesn’t sound bad at all, it just doesn’t hit me hard in any real way. And that’s what this song would need to do to work. If I don’t connect with this emotionally I’m going to have trouble enjoying it much.

And that’s, basically what happens here. Again, nothing really wrong with this. It does what it wants to do pretty well, but I guess it’s just not for me. I like my low-key indie stuff to still be really textured, and actually more downbeat than this, but also generally having highs that go higher than this. Also honestly I have no clue what most of the lyrics are either, can’t make them out well and can’t be bothered to look them up.

So yeah on the whole. Wish I liked this more than I do, but I just… don’t.

6.5/10

Stadler: Angels and Airwaves – Secret Crowds

First Impressions:
Another band I’m vaguely familiar with (I think one of their songs was in guitar hero?) but haven’t really listened to much at all. Thus far it’s a pretty solid alt-rock song, and I. Dunno what else to say? I like the wood percussion on the verses & I dig the laidback groove of the entire song really. I don’t think the vocals sound quite great but they’re solid enough and definitely fit with the music. He has a bit of a tendency to overenunciate words, I think. Also I feel like I’m vaguely hearing a bell in the background which is nice. Yeah this is. Nice. I don’t know if I love it or anything but it’s enjoyable enough.

Final Thoughts:
On basically every listen of this song, I was bothered immensely by the singer’s weird tone and overenunciation. So just getting that out of the way right off the bat. That does work against the song for me, unfortunately. It also feels like he’s a bit flat on some notes too but I can’t tell for sure. Ehh. Basically what I’m trying to say is that the vocalist bothers me. The vocal melodies in general are pretty solid though, the chorus especially I do like.

Beyond that, it’s just. A pretty nice song. It’s got a bright vibe to it that never really lets up but never gets oppressive either. It’s just a song that sounds pretty happy. There isn’t a ton really unique about the instrumentation, but it’s got small touches; the intro riff that plays a few times throughout the song is a pretty solid riff, and the bells accentuating the melody in some of the louder moments is a nice touch too. Also the drums right at the end get decently intense.

It is, again, a bit simple, and considering my gripes with the vocalist I can’t really get fully onboard with this, but on the whole it’s still a pretty nice song. Not sure it’ll be a particularly memorable one, but, ehh, I don’t feel like it was a waste of time to listen to it either.

6.75/10

Nekov: Lonely Robot – Are We Copies?

First Impressions:
The start of this is kind of giving me Tool vibes. Though those dissipate when the vocals come in, for sure. There’s a nice sinister undertone going through this song during the quiet parts but it doesn’t really seem to carry over into when the song explodes. Maybe a bit disappointing there. And it does feel a bit light on substance or a bit too repetitive, something along those lines. Yeah I can’t really find much else to comment on. This is the third song in a row that’s felt just a bit too simple for me, honestly.

Final Thoughts:
I find this song… really nondescript. Like, it’s not bad or anything. It’s pretty fine honestly. There’s just… not a lot here that has any kind of personality. I don’t know how else to describe it. It’s not necessarily a quality that makes a song bad but it is definitely something that makes a song rather unmemorable.

Like, I can appreciate that there’s usually several layers of instrumentation going on here. Guitar and drums mainly drive the song but there’s synth and piano stuff happening in the background of both the verses and choruses and the song never really feels empty even in its quieter moments. And the chorus really explodes out of the quieter moments which gives it a fair bit of power. While the quieter moments are interesting for their ominous tone.

The bridge amps up the intensity even more though it also has breathing room every so often that gives the song a bit of space. It’s, pretty solid for sure. I don’t know if anything especially compelling happens but I’m not bored. It’s kind of like a porcupine tree instrumental break, though not on the same general level of quality either.

I legitimately don’t have anything bad to say about this song besides that it just kind of lacks personality in any way. It’s kind of catchy, it’s kind of powerful, it has decent atmosphere. It’s sort of just. A really average song in every way, but not a bad one at all.

7.25/10

Evermind: Chronos Zero – The Compression of Time

First Impressions:
Has guitars, 0/10. This is way heavier than I’d usually expect from you though haha. And apparently has at least three different vocalists. I dig the touches of electronic stuff happening throughout this song though the fact that they never seem to come to the forefront is a bit disappointing. Also are those some horns near the middle of the track, nice. If I had to complain about one thing, a lot of the riffing is really chuggy and kind of monotonous. It kind of makes everything feel not-so-special. I totally dig when I can hear the bass too, which seems to be on and off every so often. Yeah this is alright enough I suppose.

Final Thoughts:
If I do have one big complaint here I do think the guitars sound too chuggy way too often. I can tell a lot of the chugging is actually multiple notes but it can be hard to tell because the constant palm-muting makes a lot of the notes sound almost indistinguishable. It kind of gives off an illusion that the song doesn’t actually have a lot of melodic focus, but it’s actually there, just, distorted.

I also appreciate the variety of vocal styles. The rougher-edged male vocalist who also goes into harsh vocals at times, the much cleaner male vocals, and the female vocalist who only seems to show up for the chorus. All of them sound pretty good, not like amazing or anything, but having different vocalists playing off each other makes the vocals more interesting than they would’ve been with just one of the vocalists doing the entire song.

I do wish this song took breaks a bit more often because they tend to have more of the interesting happening – the swells of horns, the bass licks coming to the forefront, a better sense of atmosphere. I guess one thing I’m not a huge fan of besides the guitar tone is the synth sound, it’s a bit too bleepy bloopy for me, but it’s a very minor part of the song overall.

This also gets a bit too “prog” at times, some of the time signature changes feel a bit forced, but it’s not constantly happening throughout the song either and a lot of the song is more straightforward anyways. It’s more of a nitpick than anything.

On the whole though I do think there’s a fair bit to like here, but not a lot that really blows me away. It’s just a fairly solid prog metal track. A bit on the heavy chuggy side that doesn’t actually appeal to me so much, I really do wish they toned that down a bit but that’s my only major complaint. Also I guess it ends a bit abruptly? Ehh. I do like this, regardless.

7.5/10

LordCost: Alice in Chains – Down in a Hole

First Impressions:
If I’m gonna be honest Alice in Chains was always my least favorite of the big name 90’s grunge acts. Just something about how sludgy and gloomy their sound is never clicked with me. Though thus far this track is pretty nice. It’s nice and downtempo and the guitars have a ton of texture, especially during the louder moments. And the vocals sound better than other stuff I’ve heard from them too honestly. It does feel maybe a bit overly simplistic for me though. The vocal harmonies near the end of the song are great too though, I dig that.

Final Thoughts:
This is another of those kinds of songs that would really have to connect with me on an emotional level to work. And I think this one does better than some others, though at the same time… yeah, can’t say I feel it especially strongly either.

There’s definitely some decent power to the chorus, the guitars having a lot of roaring texture and the vocals definitely having some strong emotion and power in them, especially when the harmonies come in during the back half. I don’t really have a good grasp on what the lyrics are either, which I don’t think matters too much since I mostly just care about the vocal performance itself anyways so whatever,

If there’s one thing about this song that sounds slightly off, it does feel like the entire thing is being filtered through a light phaser effect. It’s a very 90’s thing to do, to be sure, but it does muddy the sound of the song just a little, especially the clean guitars during the quieter moments, it kind of destroys the tone of those entirely honestly. A lot of the song is louder throughout but it’s way more noticeable during the softer moments.

And yeah, I don’t know if I feel especially strong emotional presence here but I am definitely onboard with a lot of the vocal harmonization going on, gives the song a good bit of power on its own. Instrumentally it’s a bit basic though, aside from some guitar leads creeping in near the end of the song there’s just not a ton happening. The bass line is solid but not fantastic, but, hey, it works.

So yeah overall… I’m sure whatever score I give this is going to be disappointing to several people here but you can take solace in the fact that, yes, I do like this. I’m not exactly planning on checking out more Alice in Chains after this though.

7.5/10

twosuitsluke: Adrift For Days – When the Knot Unties

First Impressions:
I dig the eccentric atmosphere at the start but at the same time it feels like the song is starting several times over due to a weird start-stop nature it seems to have. I feel like that kind of applies to this as a whole. It’s nice but, fairly meandering. It definitely excels at creating a textured atmosphere with lots of different things to divide focus between, and the guitar work is pretty solid as well. And then it gets post-metally, whew. So yeah now this really reminds me of Minsk, who also have that kind of tribal post-metal thing going on. Though this took its sweet time getting there. But I like it, it’s definitely interesting, probably the most unique song this round really.

Final Thoughts:
I think this song gets off to a bit of a slow start, but in the context of the song I wouldn’t really say it’s a problem? It needs that ambient intro as a jumping point to build off of, to set the tone without really driving the rest of the song. However, I do think the whole “completely stopping about a third of the way in” thing was absolutely a mistake though, because that just kills momentum. The song basically has to restart building up momentum from that point on, and while sure that’s fine in theory it makes the intro feel really disconnected.

And because of that I also feel it ends up taking too long for the song to build up as a whole – it’s not until the last third that things start getting really exciting here. And when they do, whew, I absolutely adore it, the escalating atmosphere before they just explode into this crushing riff. And yeah it makes for a good climax to the build. But I do feel the build there takes too long.

There’s not much else to talk about here though, really. A lot of the appeal comes from the little details. The bassline going throughout most of the song is pretty solid as a base, the guitar work is pretty nice and keeps the song from feeling monotonous. And the heavy part of the song is decisively unsubtle but in a great way. I just feel that cutting the entire first section of the song entirely would’ve made for a more compelling and cohesive experience as a whole, though. I do like this, but I could’ve liked it oh so much more.

7.75/10

Train of Naught: Manchester Orchestra – Virgin

First Impressions:
Well the start of this is, kind of creepy. Yeah this is very much nothing like the other song I’ve heard from them but probably more up my alley as well. It’s maybe a bit minimal on content though? I don’t know, doesn’t feel like it has a ton to offer. The vocal melodies are pretty strong throughout though and kind of ominous. As are the horns. Yeah, I can dig that. I don’t really have much else to say though.

Final Thoughts:
Yeah, if you want me to really get into some more straightforward rock stuff this is definitely the right kind of song to do it with. For one that chorus is a killer. Even as subtle as it starts off. Probably because you have that children’s choir echoing it at times. It definitely gets a lot stronger as the song escalates.

I would say the vocals don’t actually sound that technically good, very offkey and with a bit of a tone I’m not a huge fan of. Except that due to the vibe this song is going for, that actually works really well, way better than a cleaner performance would. It fits well with the repeating guitar line.

They maybe do hammer in that one melody a bit much though – it drives the chorus, the guitars play it a lot, the horns on the bridge play it as well. But I mean it’s a solid melody and definitely a good one to base the vibe of this song off of. But it is definitely what makes this song end up feeling a bit light on content, in the end.

My overall vibes end up pretty positive but not something I remember especially strongly nor something that really hits me exceptionally hard – there’s a bit of an emotional core to this, sure, but not the kind that speaks to me. Still I’m definitely glad I listened to it, it’s a good song for sure.

7.75/10

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #602 on: July 04, 2017, 09:11:44 PM »
Luoto: Turbid North – Stormblast

First Impressions:
I automatically expect any song in the 8-10 minute sweet spot to automatically be good so you have high expectations to live up to. So far I am enjoying the melodic but also sort of dissonant clean guitar going on here, it’s very ominous. And then the crunchy guitars just kick in like nobody’s business. The growls are very death metal-esque it seems. Thus far the song’s heavy parts seem to be divided between “huge doomy chords” and “crunchy chuggy riffing” and I’m kind of hoping maybe there’s a bit more to it. Oh okay the rough-edged cleaner vocals a bit past halfway are great though, honestly prefer those. I dunno what it is about that style of vocals but I always like it. Yeah while I do dig how this sounds it does end up feeling a bit light on variety for 9 minutes, I can see a lot of the same pieces repeating or having only slight variations. That being said I still do enjoy it but I worry this won’t hold up as well on relistens.

Final Thoughts:
You basically lucked out by sending one of the few songs this round that actually has a decently complex song structure, at least by comparison with everything else here. I try to review all the songs in a void without letting other songs in a round influence my opinions but with this round that was almost impossible to do. But it’s a positive thing here so don’t complain okay? Good.

Anyways. The parts of this song I really like. I like the moments with the clean melody. That’s just such a basic but simultaneously satisfying melody. It’s both kinda pretty and kinda ominous at the same time, and also really one of the only “pretty” moment of this entire song so it definitely stands out to that extend. And honestly, really dig the moments of huge chords, that heavy, sludgy riff is fantastic. The rough-edged vocals when they come in only accentuate that for me.

Speaking of the vocals there’s something like three different styles here. The very straightforward death metal vocals that are primarily used, some more shrieklike screams that border on black metal growls, and the rough-edged cleans that I really like. Not that I mind the other styles but that’s definitely my favorite.

And paying attention, there are at least a fair number of different riffs besides the main one here; a lot of them are fairly chuggy so they do kind of blend in but I can distinguish them a bit better given the relistens. I can’t say I’m huge on the guitar solo in the song though, it’s a bit too shreddy for me, though the bit over the sludgy riff near the end is nice.

Overall though yeah, this is definitely a song I can get behind. It’s got decent variety to it and some really heaviness to boot, I don’t really ever find myself bored listening to it & it has one heck of a killer main riff. Lots of positive things to say and not really any negatives. I can’t say I really love it but, yeah, more songs like this and I wouldn’t complain.

8.25/10

home: Low Roar – Tonight, Tonight, Tonight

First Impressions:
Feels like it gets off to a bit of a slow start, I can understanding wanting to build atmosphere but not much really builds at the start. Though it does sound really nice, so, ehh, whatever. It does kind of just stick to this one vibe throughout most of the song, a bit of a slow burner. I do think the sound of the song is pretty solid though, and it definitely builds up throughout its runtime. I just think that the pacing feels a bit slow, I guess. And right when it’s about to hit a real climax it just cuts out, huh. Okay.

Final Thoughts:
I find myself… really enjoying the atmosphere of this one. Yeah, it’s a slow start, but it’s a long build. I think it wouldn’t make sense to get into the meat of the song too quickly. And man, those strings just provide this massive sounding backdrop throughout the entire song. It sounds like a cello to me and man is the cello an underrated instrument.

The singer has a voice that fits into this ominous vibe quite well; soft-spoken with a sinister undertone to the voice, and the effects on his voice here help with that. The chorus in particular is pretty memorable, as understated as it is. I also like the use of the electronic drums here, they create a rigid structure to the song that contrasts well with the really organic strings and the washed-out vocals. It’s all these contrasting but complimentary elements that go together to just make the vibe of this song work.

Also I actually kinda dig the outro, it’s just. Noise. It’s like a buzzsaw cutting through the unresolved tension the song ends on. I think it works as an ending for the song pretty well, though I kind of wish the meat of the song came to a bit of a stronger conclusion on its own. It’s not a bad way to close out, but it doesn’t feel like it’s quite enough.

All that aside though I’d probably call this my favorite of the round by a hair. It’s not immensely powerful but it taps into a great atmosphere that really works for me, and definitely isn’t quite like anything I’ve ever heard before either. Basically just hitting the qualities that make me like a song pretty well. So yeah. Good stuff.

8.5/10

Current Standings:
twosuitsluke – 46.75
Luoto – 46.75
Nekov – 45.75
home – 45
Bolsters – 44.5
Tomislav95 – 44.5
Evermind – 44.5
Train of Naught – 44
LordCost – 43
Stadler – 41

home pole-vaulted up the standings by sending his best entry in a round where the people right above him didn’t send anything as strong, and we have a tie for first, but beyond that the standings didn’t really move much.

I feel like I’m giving out a lot of scores in a really narrow range this roulette, but I feel that’s a testament to the quality of songs being sent more than anything else. Only one song I wasn’t really keen on and even then it wasn’t as awful as some stuff I’ve been sent in previous roulettes.

Anyways feel free to send for round 6 but I won’t be starting up until at least Sunday, probably not until Tuesday. In the meantime I’m likely to do relistens of stuff from rounds 0 through 4 and maybe throw out a few extra fractions of points if I feel my scoring was too low before – nobody will lose points though, even if I end up feeling like I overscored a song here or there.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's Confrontational Roulette v2.5 (ROUND 5 RESULTS)
« Reply #603 on: July 04, 2017, 09:21:13 PM »
Round 5 Secondary Judge Results – Judge home

Emma Ruth Rundle – The Shadows of my Name

Right from the start I absolutely love the vibe of the song. The subtle music accompanying her beautiful voice works perfect to create a melancholic atmosphere. I like how it builds up slowly till the acoustic guitar becomes more prominent and is played slightly aggressive even. Combined with how she puts more power in her voice it makes the chorus really stand out. The bridge part is pretty nice and transitions really in the final chorus, which does end a little suddenly. But it works? Well, you won the lottery this round, I really love this song and am definitely going to check out more from this artist.

5 points

Adrift for Days - When the Knot Unties

Now that’s creating an atmosphere done right! It takes more than a minute for the real instrumentation starts, but it doesn’t get boring at all. You just feel the tension building, knowing it’s going to burst lose any time. However it doesn’t, rather it suddenly ends and goes into a soft part with barely eligible vocals. It seems to be a rather unsatisfying release at first, however it builds up again after sometime. I love how it gets more intense with weird vocals surrounding the guitar. And then release in the form of a massive sludge riff! Coupled with harsh vocals and weird sounds make the climax of this song pretty grat.

3 points

Lonely Robot – Are We Copies?

I love how the music fits the lyrics, the first part sounds kind of tense and gives a sense of imminent danger. Like it’s growing but then exceeding itself. The chorus sounds really powerful and is a great release of the tension built up in the couplets. The riff after the second chorus is really strong, I love how it’s doubled with a higher riff. The spoken words work just perfectly here and fit the vibe of the song so well. In the end I think what makes this song so great for me is that everything, lyrics instrumentation, composition, all fit the concept of the song so well.

2 points

Manchester Orchestra – Virgin

I just love how you get a small taste of the chorus sung softly in the background in the intro. I also love how the vocals start almost unsure in the first couplet and are stronger and almost angry in the second couplet. The chorus is just great too, as is the NEVER GONNA BE THE SAME part. I also like the children’s choir that was softly in the intro makes a comeback. I love the feel of this song and I really love the composition.  This was one of the four songs that really stood out to me, but it unfortunately just didn’t make the top three.

Low Roar - Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (Judge's Song
Iceland just has a stupid amount of great artist for the small country it is right? The atmospheres throughout this song are hauntingly beautiful. My favourite part of the song is the last minute however, I love how the electric noise starts to creep to the foreground until all the beauty has faded and it’s just annoying, ear bleeding sound that’s left.

Alice in Chains - Down in a Hole

I love the melancholic vibes at the start of the song. I like it how the chorus has slightly more power, especially the “I'd like to fly, …” part stands out to me. The guitar melody in the final chorus is a nice touch. While all parts are pretty nice, this song for me doesn’t stand out among the millions of power ballads out.

Ellie Goulding- The Writer

The intro is pretty pleasant but not very… special, with very predictable chords. The singers voice is beautiful, and saves the couplets. The transition from couplet to the chorus is quite cool, and the chorus tho! Especially the final chorus with the extra voices is just great. Overall I’m feeling a little mixed, the intro and couplets are pleasant but not that special, but the chorus is really nice.

Angels and Airwaves – Secret Crowds

This song sounds kind of familiar, something about the voice and vocal melody rings a bell. Perhaps I’ve just heard this song before tho. The more broken down part near the end is pretty nice but overall this song fails to leave a lasting impression on me.

Chronos Zero - The Compression of Time

Some nice electronic sounds at the start but I’m not liking the production here too much, it sounds a bit too compressed. I’m not a big fan of the male vocals either, especially the harsh parts sound a bit off. The female vocals are pretty great tho. I love the more mysterious vibe at the minute mark, but it gets disrupted by the harsh vocals way too soon for me too really enjoy it.  Ooh the female vocals start again after some part, that’s pretty cool. The proggy instrumental part is pretty awesome too.

Turbid North – Stormblast

You have bad luck with the secondary judge for this song, this just isn’t for me. I can appreciate the intro part, even though I feel it’s a little too bland for its length, but then it just gets too… brvtal. I guess. Especially the high pitched growls are something I just cannot get in to. Overall I just don’t dig the heavy parts that much and the softer parts aren’t special enough to make up for that. Sorry man, I bet Parama will appreciates the song more than I do.

Parama’s notes:
Given the judge of this round, I can’t really be too surprised at these results, yeah. Though it’s amusing to see one person who doesn’t like growls be hard on a song sent by another person who doesn’t generally like growls. I don’t really disagree with most of the write-ups here though.

Current Secondary Judge Standings:
Tomislav95 – 12
Evermind - 8
Luoto - 7
Bolsters - 7
twosuitsluke - 6
Train of Naught - 5
home - 3
Nekov - 2
LordCost - 0
Stadler - 0
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 01:04:13 AM by Parama »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #604 on: July 04, 2017, 10:12:28 PM »
My secondary judge standing is wrong, I had 7 points last round. :loser:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #605 on: July 04, 2017, 10:28:25 PM »
i somehow managed to steal the results of round 2 instead of round 4 it looks like, oops

Offline LordCost

« Reply #606 on: July 04, 2017, 10:58:17 PM »
Bad luck everytime with the secondary judge  :'(

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #607 on: July 04, 2017, 11:22:09 PM »
Tomislav seems to be the judge favorite, which is convenient since he's in the lower half of the roulette rankings right now  :corn
Gimme dat 4th EP.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #608 on: July 04, 2017, 11:35:09 PM »
I should really get my shit together :lol but thanks to secondary.
My next entry definitely needs to be a lot heavier (I have some black and post metal bands), will send later today.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #609 on: July 05, 2017, 12:17:53 AM »
i mean, i do like chill stuff too (that antlers song was probably my favorite of everything you sent in my last roulette iirc, so  :lol and hospice is still the best album i've gotten this year)

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #610 on: July 05, 2017, 01:20:11 AM »
Just about first-to-last ratio in Parama vs. secondary judge continues. Parama is almost the only person I would send these kinds of songs so no surprise there :lol Joint first place at least.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #611 on: July 05, 2017, 01:58:14 AM »
Sweet. Really glad you and the Secondary Judge both liked Adrift for Days. Your write up is pretty much my thoughts on it. I do think the climax takes a while to build but I thought the end was something you'd dig. Some of the vocals on the album may not be to your liking but it's a good album and it's free on their bandcamp page  :tup

No idea what to send next (as usual) but I'm sure something will spring to mind. I need to make sure I save something good for the EP, if I don't completely fluff it before then  :lol

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #612 on: July 05, 2017, 04:13:39 AM »
Nice! That was unexpected, Ik kinda feared the ending would ruin the song for you  :P I guess sending longer songs works...
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #613 on: July 05, 2017, 06:11:39 AM »
I finally managed to send something a secondary judge liked  :laugh: though I was hoping this would fare better with you. I'll send something later today
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #614 on: July 05, 2017, 11:25:10 AM »
Nice! That was unexpected, Ik kinda feared the ending would ruin the song for you  :P I guess sending longer songs works...
I have said several times that my sweet spot for songs tends to be stuff around the 7-10 minute range and based on the results of this roulette thus far that should be pretty obvious in practice, the two highest scoring songs so far were both 9 mins :P

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #615 on: July 06, 2017, 08:13:30 AM »
I don't know whether to be thrilled or bummed out, regarding my musical tastes...   I probably would flip almost every round in terms of scoring.  Turbid North?   Generic metal as far as I'm concerned.  Give me something I haven't heard 1,000 times before.   Low Roar?  Ironic band name for the song, but while it would be great soundtrack material in the right movie, I'm not sure that that's a song that sustains for me.   

These aren't criticisms, but observations.  It's not my roulette, so my opinions don't matter in the least, and I understand that.   I guess I'm more willing to suspect preconceived notions though; I could care less if a song is 30 minutes or 3 minutes, as long as it has something that perks my ears up and makes me listen again.   There are very few deal-killers for me in music (maybe gangsta rap or growls). 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #616 on: July 06, 2017, 11:02:35 AM »
I think one issue I've had is that most of the songs you've sent are pretty simple and I've already gotten all i can out of them by the time I do my writeups. Then again bolsters has just been sending pop all roulette and that's not really any different and there have been a few songs there I really likedbso ehh, i don't really know

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #617 on: July 06, 2017, 12:24:42 PM »
Parama, you do not have to explain; it's your roulette.   I'm just saying that for me, my analysis and objectivity is for the P/R forum and when it comes to music I don't care about formats, or lengths, or genres (though I like some genres more than others), it's whatever tickles me.  I'm not a very angsty or angry guy, so I rarely gravitate to death metal for example.

I may have sent you "simple" songs, but I don't think of them in that way.   All the songs I've sent you have - to me - a moment that transcends the song

Three Days - The "Erotic Jesus..." part with the guitar crescendo
Psychophobia - the "My colors all run dry..." part
Teahouse... - the "I can feel you..." part
Samurai - the rhythm guitar behind the "Do you live to die..."
By The Sword - The "With the horses that you ride..." part
Secret Crowds - the voice and the way he sings the "Let me feel you, carry you higher..." part  (I think his quirkly voice is what makes that song)

The latest one too but I'll wait till you hear it.   (And none of this is meant to convince you or change your scoring; we're music fans talking about music.   You either like it or you don't and there's no money riding on this, so...)   

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #618 on: July 06, 2017, 01:27:19 PM »
I can't say I'm very angry or angsty either, those are both turnoffs in metal to me really. I mostly just like. Strong emotions & powerful music I dunno that's really vague lol

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #619 on: July 06, 2017, 02:43:50 PM »
Sent something brutally emotional :tup

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #620 on: July 07, 2017, 09:09:58 AM »
I actually think I will send something chill. I'm tired of getting 7.5 every round, let's get 6.0 or something.

Sent.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #621 on: July 10, 2017, 05:59:47 AM »
This is getting difficult now...

I have a really cool band I think you'd like, musically. They are instrumental though and I don't think they'd be enough to get more than a 7.5  :|

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #622 on: July 10, 2017, 10:56:01 AM »
Send them to me

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #623 on: July 10, 2017, 11:29:04 AM »
Send them to me

I might have to  :biggrin:

If I get to the EP round then I'm going to have to take a '100% risk' approach.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #624 on: July 10, 2017, 11:50:52 AM »
Do what i did in tomi's roulette, make a random ep to your own tastes and then send it while ignoring the host's tastes so I can score the songs 5/10

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #625 on: July 10, 2017, 12:57:06 PM »
Do what i did in tomi's roulette, make a random ep to your own tastes and then send it while ignoring the host's tastes so I can score the songs 5/10

5/10? If someone did that in my roulette that would be all 1/10  :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #626 on: July 10, 2017, 01:12:30 PM »
1/10 would be like some generic pop rap
The 1 point is for being a song, unlike merzbow & harsh noise in general

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #627 on: July 10, 2017, 02:28:14 PM »
I'll send you some Jon Zorn next time then  ;)

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #628 on: July 10, 2017, 05:38:36 PM »
Yep, went with that instrumental...

Sent

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #629 on: July 13, 2017, 05:55:50 AM »
What's going on in here? This has been super quiet