Author Topic: Parama's Confrontational Roulette v2.5 (Quick Album Reviews)  (Read 68669 times)

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Parama's Confrontational Roulette v2.5 (Round 4 First Impressions)
« Reply #525 on: June 22, 2017, 05:58:19 AM »
Give me a P
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #526 on: June 23, 2017, 01:28:15 AM »
i have half the writeups done and i hope these tidbits give a good sense of why i had a ton of trouble with this round  :corn
i feel like the extra listen has made these writeups way better than the ones for the last few rounds though, at the very least

I think this song is totally fine and enjoyable but I also get the distinct impression that for these guys, this song isn’t really anything special? Like not even my opinion just like. It’s a very normal song for them that wasn’t designed to stand out in any way from the other songs they make. It’s got that kind of feel to it.

I’m just frustrated by this, moreso than any other song in this incredibly frustrating round. I’ll probably check out this artist further, though, because the potential is definitely there. It’s just not realized here.

There’s just nothing special about this music. It’s not gripping enough for me to get invested in it and it’s not musically complex enough to have much relisten value. I have bands that do either of those much better individually, and bands that do both of them better at once.

But there’s just. Something that never quite clicks for me here. For one I don’t think the song ever truly comes alive, like I said previously. Even the climax at the end isn’t that grand, or that notable from what came before.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #527 on: June 23, 2017, 01:34:45 AM »
oh and some hangmanen i guess

Bolsters: Foxes - In Her Arms
???: __noocri__ - _ - P_i
Tomislav95: Katatonia - The Racing Heart
Train of Naught: Mechina - On t_e _in__ o_ Ne_e_i
???: Tall Ships - T=0
Nekov: Arena - Cutting the Cards
???: Eden Circus - _er _o_e__ _and_ _pon t_e __ac_ Eart_
twosuitsluke: Paradise Lost - Last Regret (Lost In Prague Orchestra Mix)
???: __a__ - __ t_e ___rd
???: Aoria - A __o_ _o_in_ _tor_

Letters Guessed:
ACDEINOPRT

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #528 on: June 23, 2017, 05:42:04 AM »
Her Lovely Hands Upon the ??? Earth

???: __npocri__ - _ - P_i

Fixed ;)
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #529 on: June 23, 2017, 07:37:34 AM »
On the Wings of Neheki?
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #530 on: June 24, 2017, 05:00:12 PM »
Round 4 Results

Bolsters: Foxes – In Her Arms

First Impressions:
Right away this is definitely weirder than any of the other songs you’ve sent thus far. It sort of feels like the instruments are carrying the weight of the song here more than the vocals are, which is a bit of an inversion from the rest of the stuff you’ve sent thus far too. I kind of feel like it’s musically a bit cluttered though. The instruments have both punchiness and atmosphere to them and the vocals sound pretty fine as well. That one repeating bell-like sound though especially feels a bit out of place and kind of repetitive. And I dunno, it just doesn’t ever come together well for me. Still solidly interesting though, I suppose.

Final Thoughts:
Maybe it’s just me, but the more artsy and eccentric pop stuff gets, the less it seems to do for me. I don’t know. There’s not really anything that offputting about this and I can tell it’s a pretty delicately crafted song, but. It’s kind of just this mellow drone that goes on for five minutes. There’s slight dynamic variance sure but most of the time it doesn’t vary too much.

And I should really like the pounding drums that drive a decent sense of energy in this song. And I should really like the gentle strings in the background. And I definitely should like the vocals, probably the most talented singer out of all the artists you’ve sent this roulette. Especially those little backing vocal bits during the chorus and bridge.

But there’s just. Something that never quite clicks for me here. For one I don’t think the song ever truly comes alive, like I said previously. Even the climax at the end isn’t that grand, or that notable from what came before. Also. That bell instrument probably bothers me more than anything else. It’s probably the most iconic feature of the track but if it was dropped entirely I bet I’d like this way more than I do. That might really be the problem for me, and with how prominent it is throughout I can’t just ignore it.

At the end of the day though, this is still… alright. There’s enough here that does work for me to keep me from getting bored, even if none of it is particularly compelling. And aside from that bell everything in the song sounds great, the production is very organic and broad and makes the song feel very lush. Maybe it’s just the lack of a strong hook, maybe it’s just the lack of dynamics and a climactic moment, maybe it’s just that bell that really feels obtrusive to the rest of the song. Whatever it is I do wish I liked this more than I do but I can’t see myself doing so anytime soon.

7/10

twosuitsluke: Paradise Lost - Last Regret (Lost In Prague Orchestra Mix)

First Impressions:
Using a different version of the song because the one you sent was 240p badness. Considering it’s an orchestra song I figure we’re trying to hit on some Mob Mentality vibes here, right? Or is this like entirely orchestral. It seems like it. Hmm. I usually am not actually that big a fan of entirely orchestral stuff honestly, this is fine but it’s like, not really doing anything special with it. I’d definitely like it more if there was a metal edge to it in there. It does have decent power to it though regardless and the instrumentation is at least varied. I don’t know, I’m not feeling this much at all though if I’m being honest. I don’t know if I’d like the normal version either though considering I am pretty sure it’s some power metal thing Evermind would send. So.

Final Thoughts:
Okay okay so. What the heck is up with the horns at the climax? They sound like. Like a comedy instrument, like a “wah wah waahh” horn you hear all the time when something dumb happens in a cartoon or something. That’s just a bad instrumental choice I can’t take it seriously in the slightest. And it kind of kills the climax of this song

But I mean beyond that this is pretty solid? I’ve warmed up to it a little since my first listens, at the very least. Because yeah, it’s (for the most part) really well orchestrated, a lot of little details to pick apart and enjoy, especially during the denser parts of the song.

One big gripe I have is actually how the singer sounds. I don’t know if there are two singers or if there is some effect on the vocals to make it sound like he’s doubled. But I really wish it was just a single voice. I think that would be so much more effective. It feels like just compensating for how kind of boring the vocalist would be without the weird doubling, I guess. His tone is a bit flat throughout, he’s easily the weakest aspect of the song besides that dumb sounding horn.

Overall though I can’t get too bothered by this, but I am just not compelled by it either. For a song whose entire focus is on the emotional power of this bombastic orchestral backing, it just… doesn’t stir much in me. I don’t know what else to say. It’s alright, sure, but not much more.

7.25/10

Tomislav95: Katatonia – The Racing Heart

First Impressions:
I don’t really know why I’ve never bothered to check out more Katatonia either really. Just never been on my radar I guess. They seem really popular around these parts. I mean if I had to guess it’s because the vocals generally aren’t my style? The atmosphere at the start of this song is pretty nice though, a lot of small details contributing to a good vibe. And the chorus does have a fair bit going on too though the denser atmosphere is actually not as interesting. It feels like a bit short of a song though, two verses and two choruses and that’s basically it.

Final Thoughts:
I’m not really sure how I’m supposed to feel about this one. Does it have decent power to it? Yeah. Does it have emotional depth? Definitely, not incredibly emotional or anything but it definitely comes through in the vocals & the music does well to match that.

I feel it’s a bit too simple of a song though. The instrumentation doesn’t really feel like it has a ton of nuance to it, and as well I feel like the production does the song no favors, it does sound a bit muddy during the louder moments and where I can tell there’s quite a bit going on, it ends up a bit of a blur with only that noodly guitar line and the drums coming through clearly. And it definitely feels like it’s over far too soon, the song fails to hit any sort of climax because of how brief it is.

It’s also a bit unfortunate that I’m having to judge this at the same time that I’m finding myself really into the Blindead album I got, which has a similar vocal style but much more depth and instrumental nuance and plays to a genre that’s much more up my alley as well. I can’t really blame this band for that and I can’t blame you for being unlucky to send this at a bad time, but it can’t help but affect my opinions towards this song.

So at the end of the day what do I feel? I feel like… I’m still probably not going to check out more Katatonia based on this song, and as well the song I received from them in my first roulette. There’s just nothing special about this music. It’s not gripping enough for me to get invested in it and it’s not musically complex enough to have much relisten value. I have bands that do either of those much better individually, and bands that do both of them better at once, and I just can’t see what makes Katatonia worth my time at the end of the day.

But I mean, the song’s alright? I’ve mostly not talked about it because there’s just so little to say. It’s an alright song. I like it but I’m not going to remember it either, I feel.

7.25/10

Train of Naught: Mechina – On the Wings of Nefeli

First Impressions:
I’ve seen these guys somewhere before and I have no clue where. Thus far this is definitely something where I can see why you sent it. It’s got a very dense atmosphere to it driven by both the synths and the guitars and that’s something I can definitely get into. I guess I’m not a huge fan of the vocals but they’re not awful either. Also the chill, pretty moments break up the song pretty well and sound pretty lush as well. Yeah this is pretty solid.

Final Thoughts:
I think this song is totally fine and enjoyable but I also get the distinct impression that for these guys, this song isn’t really anything special? Like not even my opinion just like. It’s a very normal song for them that wasn’t designed to stand out in any way from the other songs they make. It’s got that kind of feel to it.

What do I think of it though? I totally get why you sent it after I played that Khonsu song a few weeks ago, yes. It doesn’t really hit on much of the same sound or anything, but it’s got kind of similar vibes to it.

I do think the electronic stuff here ends up feeling a lot more enjoyable than the more metal elements though. The riffing is… very average. There’s a few riffs here that I can kind of groove to but they’re not anything that special or memorable. The synth orchestration and the female vocals are the real highlights though, the former infuses the song with a lot of atmosphere while the latter does well to give the song some unique flavor.

While I can enjoy this song for what it is certainly, I just never feel that into it at any point, honestly. Nothing about it really holds a ton of power or emotional depth. It’s just a song that trends towards “solid” in every way, nothing I really dislike about it but not much I find myself getting really into or finding all that memorable. But I mean, it’s nice, yeah.

7.5/10

LordCost: Aoria – A Slow Moving Storm

First Impressions:
Honestly the start of this makes me think of Leprous-lite, maybe this is what their new album is going to sound like? Anyways. It’s actually a pretty solid riff to base the song off of, pretty punch and the lead guitar stuff harmonizing with it is pretty  nice too. I dunno if the vocals are doing a ton for me but they’re pretty fine. When the song really kicks in halfway it’s got this great wall of guitar fuzz with the drums doing some solid stuff under it. It’s a simple but intense sound I tend to dig a lot. Huh. The ending felt a bit abrupt though I guess.

Final Thoughts:
I actually started spinning Coal like, right before you sent me this song and was enjoying it quite a bit, so I was definitely alright with having something in a similar vein, yet distinct enough to still stand out. Plus, this album came out before Coal, so if anything Leprous copied them haha. Yeah no I doubt there’s any correlation.

It does bring up the point though that I do wish this song was a bit heavier than it is. It’s obviously trying to have some degree of power considering the booming riff it opens with. If that riff had more crunch to it or more bass, maybe, I think it’d hit harder than it does, not to say I dislike it or anything as is, just a thought.

Also the video I was linked and have been using has kind of bad audio quality – I checked another version I found just a minute ago and the audio quality there is totally fine so I’m not gonna hold it against the song but the version I have definitely sounds muffled and may have harmed my enjoyment of the song a bit so ehh. That may nullify my earlier complaint honestly because it sounds better in general on this version. So. Oops. Not really my fault though.

I’m writing about this because besides that I… really don’t have a lot to say about this honestly. On one hand it’s pretty solid stuff, but on the other hand it’s just not something I feel that strongly. I guess its’s because it feels like it’s lacking emotional depth. Simply put the singer sounds nice but isn’t very compelling otherwise, he doesn’t have the power or tone to really make me feel much of anything, he just blends in with the music.

And that’s about all I have to say. A pretty decent song. May check them out further, may not. Dunno.

7.5/10

home: Tall Ships – T=0

First Impressions:
Let’s see if I remember this from plug.dj, then. Huh, kind of but only because that one guitar line repeats a heck of a lot, apparently. It’s actually kind of annoying if I’m being honest because it’s not that great of a line and it’s so short that it gets feeling repetitive really fast. Everything else around it is pretty solid though at the very least. Oh and it does stop eventually okay. I actually like this quieter verse a lot, especially this vocalist, has a tone to his voice I really enjoy. And there’s the guitar line again. I mean I guess it’s not as bad when it’s buried under other layers of instrumentation to the point where you can barely hear it, but still. Also dang this really is quite a short track isn’t it. Well then.

Final Thoughts:
I think what’s off about this song to me is how… robotic it comes off at the start. The drums at the start feel very rigid, and the one looping guitar line that goes on through most of the song has something off about it too. I can’t really place my finger on it but it does bother me, especially given its prominence.

And really that’s the only complaint I have because the rest of this is actually pretty good. The way the song ebbs and flows at the start, leading up to a sort of climax before peeling back for the verse, it makes for pretty a pretty compelling listen. Or would, if not for that guitar line. And as I mentioned before I do quite like the vocalist here, he has a very charismatic voice.

I do legitimately feel that repeated guitar line does nothing but detract from this song as a whole though. During the louder moments it’s trying to steal the attention away from some goddamn gorgeous dense atmosphere, with the guitars and horns and strings? in the background all painting this luscious soundscape, but that guitar is still wailing duh duDEE duDEE the whole way through and it’s just. It’s so wrong. It’s like musical vandalism. I cannot fathom what made them think that was a good musical choice.

And in the end that’s what bothers me most about this song. It has potential to be a lot better than it is but its most prominent element is its weakest and feels like it’s trying to steal the spotlight from other elements far more compelling than it. So it really takes me out of the song as a whole and makes me not as inclined to listen to it. You know what it reminds me of? Within My Fence by Leprous. That song, too, has a repetitive guitar line that dominates the rest of the song, with that guitar line just not being very compelling. This song is better than that one though by quite a bit, since I think that song isn’t anything special even besides its weak points. And if this is the band’s “Within My Fence” then I can only hope the rest of the album lives up to the potential this song had and failed to capitalize on.

7.5/10

Evermind: Eden Circus – Her Lovely Hands Upon the Black Earth

First Impressions:
Eww, has guitars. 0/10. But no this actually starts out fairly promisingly. Lots of layers of texture coming in as the song’s intro builds upon itself and I’m expecting it to explode at any moment. Though I think they end up not quite capitalizing on that momentum unfortunately. Oh and then the song just… stops at around the four minute mark to go be something completely different. Well okay. I feel like that break, while fine on its own, utterly destroyed the momentum of the track. The bit after feels like an intro to a different song. I do think all the individual segments of this song are pretty good, not incredibly unique but interesting enough. But string them all together the way they have and man it feels like it does not work at all.

Final Thoughts:
I think, because of that monumentally stupid complete halt to momentum in the middle of this song, I find it hard to really get a good grasp of what this song sounds like. Because it is literally two songs. There’s no way around it. This is two songs with an absolutely abysmal transition between them. So I’m going to review it as two songs.

The first song I can actually enjoy quite a bit; the vocals actually work pretty well for me and the chorus has an explosive power that flows quite well with the stunted 11/8 time signature. It’s a prog touch that I actually think works in the song’s favor. It really keeps you on your toes without ever obstructing the song’s flow and gives it a touch of uniqueness in the process. It changes up its flow for the “climax” though and I don’t think that does it in favors, may be why the climax comes up a bit underwhelming. I’d give this song like a 7.75/10 or so. Maybe an 8.

The bit in the middle is completely disconnect from both songs and is a fairly barren and probably too long interlude. It’s not bad on its own but it fails to be anything interesting and is absolute utter garbage at tying the two songs here together. Not gonna rate it as it’s basically nothing.

The second song actually starts off really great, I dig this bassy 7/8 groove quite a lot. I do think this one takes a bit too long to build up though, it sticks to that groove a bit too heavily. It’s a cool groove but I don’t think it can support the song on its own. And it comes full circle, reusing the chorus of the first song (without much notably different, making it a fairly weak climax, I might add), and then has a decent reprise of the intro to the first song. I’d probably also give this song a 7.75/10. Not quite as strong as the first one overall.

And yes I know I’m being a bit facetious with this whole two song thing. But. That middle is absolutely disasterous for this song. I legitimately do not understand the decision to completely halt the momentum of the song right as it was building up to something just to go and do something completely different and unrelated. It doesn’t work. It flat out doesn’t work. And it’s a shame because the separate pieces of this song are there. But as a whole it does fall apart. Honestly, if they’d capitalized on the momentum of the first half, cut the interlude entirely, and had the 7/8 groove bit as a bridge to the last chorus, this could’ve been really great stuff. Maybe amp up the intensity of the last chorus too. But as it is. Ehh. I’m just frustrated by this, moreso than any other song in this incredibly frustrating round. I’ll probably check out this artist further, though, because the potential is definitely there. It’s just not realized here.

7.5/10

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #531 on: June 24, 2017, 05:01:12 PM »
Stadler: Slash – By the Sword

First Impressions:
Not really a GnR fan, for what it’s worth, though Axl is probably the biggest reason why & Slash’s solo stuff I’ve heard is usually better so whatever. I see this is sticking more to a power ballad type of feel at least at first. The guitar work is unsurprisingly pretty nice, really. The leads give the song a nice bluesy swing and they sound good both with and without distortion too. I know this video isn’t 240p but man does it sound like it, I may find a better sounding one for myself. But I am enjoying this more than I expected to, it’s kind of simple in structure but the substance is entertaining enough to keep me interested.

Final Thoughts:
Yeah, this is easily the best song you’ve sent so far, or at least the one that appeals to me the most. The guitar lines throughout keeping up that bluesy swing vibe are one of the strongest points but I think my favorite part might actually be the chorus, the simplest part of the song. The vocals themselves aren’t great but the melodies and intensity of the vocals really sells it for me. I think this is the first song you’ve sent that I can connect to on an emotional level somewhat and that’s basically what makes it work.

That riff in the bridge right before the solo is also a solid change of pace, it’s a more straightforward rock riff and the kind I’ve seen done before but I always like when stuff like that shows up. Another small detail I like is how the main guitar leads have a different tone every time they show up; clean at the start, distorted later on, and drenched in wah pedal effects after the solo. The last one especially makes for a clean transition out of the solo into the final chorus.

It is still maybe a bit light on content for me and I don’t know if I’d find myself coming back and relistening to this a ton after the round’s over, but I’m still glad I was sent it, it’s an enjoyable rock tune for what it is.

7.75/10

Nekov: Arena – Cutting the Cards

First Impressions:
Okay the vocals make me think this is going to be something rather folky when they come in, but before that I couldn’t really tell. Also the youtube video is really low quality again I’m going to find something for myself. This feels like something Evermind would send, honestly. It’s a solid combination of power metal and folkier stuff. Kind of reminds me of Arjen’s style actually, including some of the vocal melodies on the chorus. It’s a kind of fun and kind of powerful song and while I’m not really feeling it especially strongly nor is it especially unique it’s still enjoyable enough for what it is, though. Even with the bad video quality.

Final Thoughts:
Honestly I think they could’ve cut that slow intro entirely, it feels unnecessary, starting at the folky guitar strumming would’ve been a good enough way to kick the song off proper. Anyways. This is definitely one of those songs that I imagine would be really great and fun to see live. Lots of singalong moments and a fun energy to it that can really get crowds excited, plus a stomping beat keeping it grounded.

It’s not really music that works as well in the context of “some loser sitting at his computer typing reviews of songs after midnight on Friday morning” though. I mean that’s not a knock against the song as much as it is just that this style of music is something I tend to appreciate more than actually get into.

Which isn’t to say I dislike it. That’s definitely not true. For one. The singer is excellent and is really what makes this song, there’s power and depth in his voice and it matches the feel of the song perfectly. And the rollicking guitar leads throughout the song are especially good at driving the energy of the song. The organs providing a good base for the other instruments to lay upon, giving the chorus a nice sense of broadness.

Honestly this song is almost too perfect at what it’s trying to accomplish that I can’t speak negatively of it beyond “it’s maybe a bit too simple” but even that isn’t necessarily true, the instrumentation changes up enough to keep you on your toes and it never feels boring nor does it feel too long. And that singer really is great, I’m almost inclined to check out a few other songs from this band just to hear him on other songs.

So having said all that. Yeah, despite this not really being “my thing” I still think it’s pretty dang great for what it is, mostly because I can’t come up with any legitimate criticism beyond “the intro is a bit disposable but pretty fine otherwise”. So yeah. I’m actually a bit surprised at how much I liked this one in the end but hey, not complaining.

8.25/10

Luoto: Sunpocrisy – Φ – Phi

First Impressions:
Okay just seeing what genre tags this band has makes me unreasonably excited to listen to it so I’m prepared for it to absolutely disappoint me. When the heavy guitars kick in that’s a damn solid tone. Mmm. Thus far the song is delivering in pretty solid riffs & the prog edge helps too. Vocals are pretty standard post-metal but I’m okay with that. Oh but that clean break made me realize… bass hasn’t had much of a strong presence here unfortunately. The bass line here is nice though, it’s actually driving the melody while the guitars mostly provide texture. Yeah, what this lacks in really outstanding or compelling moments, it makes up for by at least being very consistently interesting and varied and generally enjoyable. I can’t really think of anything here I dislike on first listen, it’s all solid stuff.

Final Thoughts:
This is probably the most “up my alley” song of the entire roulette so far. Proggy post-metal. That’s like. My thing. I guess the one weakness of it is that nothing here really “pops” though. There’s nothing here that really wows me. It’s just very competent music the whole way through.

Like, I could just comment on all the little things. The drums do a good bit of diverse and interesting stuff without every really getting too aggressively technical but they’re great at driving different rhythms. That clean guitar tone during the quieter moments is delicious, the reverb effect basically forces it to create a tone of atmosphere just through simple melodies. The choice to mix the vocals a bit low probably works for the best, they’re still very much audible but at the same time give the music tons of room to breathe.

I am going to totally criticize the lack of bass presence during the louder moments though. The quieter moments it’s definitely there and… well, the tone is maybe a bit rubbery for my tastes but I am more than satisfied with the melodies it provides. It’s just unfortunately absent during louder moments, maybe due to that rather weak tone. Maybe I’m just spoiled by the great bass tones of Intronaut and East of the Wall though.

Like I said in my first impressions writeup I can’t say any of the guitar riffs here really pop, none of them are really that memorable, but they’re all pretty great nonetheless. Lots of dense, deep tones and jagged grooves. Never feeling too repetitive or monotonous. Some moments where lead guitar comes to the forefront to give the song a bit more melodic power in contrast to the crushing vibe of the heavier riffing.

I feel like even with the listens I’ve given it it’s really still too early for me to accurately judge this song and I’m sure I’m going to be coming back to this song and this band to check out further, it’s almost necessary really, but even as is I still like this one quite a lot.

8.25/10

Current Standings:
twosuitsluke – 39
Nekov – 38.5
Luoto – 38.5
Bolsters – 38.25
Tomislav95 – 38
Evermind – 37
home – 36.5
Train of Naught – 36.25
LordCost – 35.5
Stadler –34.25

Not much action at all in the standings this round since basically everything trended towards a fairly narrow gap of scores. Oh well  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's Confrontational Roulette v2.5 (ROUND 4 RESULTS)
« Reply #532 on: June 24, 2017, 05:10:31 PM »
Round 4 Secondary Judge Results – Judge Nekov

1. Foxes - In her Arms

5 points

2. Tall Ships – T=0

3 points

3. Katatonia – The Racing Heart

2 points

4. Eden Circus – Her Lovely Hands Upon the Black Earth
5. Arena – Cutting the Cards (Judge's Song)
6. Slash – By the Sword
7. Aoria – A Slow Moving Storm
8. Paradise Lost – Last Regret (Lost in Prague Orchestra Mix)
9. Mechina – On the Wings of Nefeli
10. Sunpocrisy – Φ – Phi

Parama’s notes:
Not really too surprised that Sunpocrisy ended up at the bottom for Nekov but oh well. Our lists are almost entirely dissimilar and that’s the fun part of this really.

Current Secondary Judge Standings:
Evermind - 8
Luoto - 7
Tomislav95 – 7
Bolsters - 7
Train of Naught - 5
twosuitsluke - 3
home - 3
LordCost - 0
Nekov - 0
Stadler - 0
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 01:02:22 AM by Parama »

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #533 on: June 24, 2017, 05:56:49 PM »
That's alright I suppose. Will send something tomorrow.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #534 on: June 24, 2017, 06:05:46 PM »
Train of Naught: Mechina – On the Wings of Nefeli
I had a feeling that this was about my song but no, not really. The Bulgarian choir (or whatever eastern-European country it would otherwise be, I've been told Bulgarian) only appears on this song I'm pretty sure at least, but the symphonic, electronic and deathmetal stuff appears throughout most of the album. And there's some female vocals as well, the album is pretty tough to get through though I admit, it can be a drag. But I like most of it.

Disappointed to see The Racing Heart near the bottom, such a good song :( I know the score itself is fine though. Also boo secondary judge

sending now
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #535 on: June 24, 2017, 06:09:20 PM »
so you're saying i definitely shouldn't check out the band further. alright  :corn

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #536 on: June 24, 2017, 10:17:13 PM »
I did start to have reservations after sending that song that it might be a bit too mellow to do well with you. Lesson learned.

I will send something later tonight when I have the time.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #537 on: June 25, 2017, 01:54:16 AM »
Uh, I expected better :sad: at least secondary judges like my songs :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline home

« Reply #538 on: June 25, 2017, 01:59:53 AM »
Not too shabby, I guess I can kinda understand why you don't like that repeating guitar line. It's works for me though  :P I like how it, in the parts where it's buried in atmosphere, still provides a sense of groove. And wow, I actually got secondary judge points for the first time!

And if this is the band’s “Within My Fence” then I can only hope the rest of the album lives up to the potential this song had and failed to capitalize on.
Hmm, the album is kind of a mix between indie and mathrock with quite some atmospheric moments, but if you liked the T=0 apart from that guitar line I think you might actually like it  :tup

Also, I keep on getting the feeling I should send you longer songs  :lol

Also dang this really is quite a short track isn’t it. Well then.
since as it is the song is a bit short really.
I do find that this shorter style of straightforward post-metal is never as compelling as the more longform pieces though

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #539 on: June 25, 2017, 02:08:23 AM »
you'll notice that most of my favorite songs are in the 7-11 minute range  :lol

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #540 on: June 25, 2017, 02:38:41 AM »
Might be the first time for me in the top 3 of a roulette, not completely sure.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #541 on: June 25, 2017, 01:10:47 PM »
Nice, glad you enjoyed it. That band has some cool stuff that you should definitely check out. Will send something later today or tomorrow.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: June 25, 2017, 04:59:01 PM »
Sent

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #543 on: June 26, 2017, 03:23:26 AM »
I'm happy with that. Still on top  :hat

No idea what to send next, but will try to do it today.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #544 on: June 26, 2017, 05:24:48 AM »
I don't hear anything related to Leprous in Aoria. I think they are close to Anathema newer albums if you want to make a comparison.
And they are so unknown that nobody could have copied them :lol
You can hear their EPs without losing much time. There are not many songs, I think they are around 10.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #545 on: June 26, 2017, 11:34:02 AM »
Sending now

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #546 on: June 26, 2017, 12:24:33 PM »
Sending now.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #547 on: June 26, 2017, 12:51:31 PM »
I'll start listening to stuff tonight ok

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #548 on: June 26, 2017, 01:04:23 PM »
And sent...
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #549 on: June 27, 2017, 04:54:43 PM »
Sent some (self-proclaimed) psychedelic/post-metal/doom/drone...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #550 on: June 28, 2017, 01:27:12 AM »
i'll put hangman up in the morning if i have the last song when i wake up otherwise it'll have to wait until tomorrow night

so far this round has music in it  :corn

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #551 on: June 28, 2017, 02:54:48 AM »
Just to be clear, how do the 'secondary judge' scores come into play? Do we get the full score added to our total score at the end of round 10 or something?

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #552 on: June 28, 2017, 04:44:44 AM »
Do we get the full score added to our total score at the end of round 10 or something?

No, the secondary judge points don't accumulate into roulette proper. Winner just proceeds into the final round if he's not already in the top 3.

Offline home

« Reply #553 on: June 28, 2017, 05:35:55 AM »
Whoops, sending (a longer song) in 5 minutes  :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #554 on: June 28, 2017, 09:21:23 AM »
Round 5 First Impressions

It definitely excels at creating a textured atmosphere with lots of different things to divide focus between, and the guitar work is pretty solid as well.

There’s a nice sinister undertone going through this song during the quiet parts but it doesn’t really seem to carry over into when the song explodes.

I like the wood percussion on the verses & I dig the laidback groove of the entire song really. I don’t think the vocals sound quite great but they’re solid enough and definitely fit with the music.

It’s nice and downtempo and the guitars have a ton of texture, especially during the louder moments. And the vocals sound better than other stuff I’ve heard from them too honestly.

Her voice is quite nice and I do like the touches of atmosphere in the background. It’s subtle but I think it works, assuming there’s something it’s going to build to off of it.

There’s at least a nice layer of textures in the backdrop and as a whole the song sounds nice and lush.

I do think the sound of the song is pretty solid though, and it definitely builds up throughout its runtime.

The vocal melodies are pretty strong throughout though and kind of ominous. As are the horns. Yeah, I can dig that.

So far I am enjoying the melodic but also sort of dissonant clean guitar going on here, it’s very ominous. And then the crunchy guitars just kick in like nobody’s business.

I dig the touches of electronic stuff happening throughout this song though the fact that they never seem to come to the forefront is a bit disappointing.

Can't say I'm too impressed with much this round after first listen, but hey maybe they're all growers  :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Parama's Confrontational Roulette v2.5 (Round 5 First Impressions)
« Reply #555 on: June 28, 2017, 09:31:52 AM »
Round 5 Hangman!!!

???: ______ _____ - __________
???: _____ ________ - ___ ______
???: ______ ___ ________ - ______ ______
???: ______ ___ ____ - ____ ___ ____ ______
???: _____ __ ______ - ____ __ _ ____
???: ___ ____ - _______, _______, _______
???: ______ _____ - ___ __ ______?
???: __________ _________ - ______
???: ____ ____ ______ - ___ ______ __ __ ____
???: _______ ____ - ___ ___________ __ ____

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #556 on: June 28, 2017, 09:38:12 AM »
S

I'm still amused we didn't guess Slash because of wrong letter choices, not making that mistake again :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #557 on: June 28, 2017, 09:45:36 AM »
???: ______ _____ - S_______s_
???: _____s ___ _______s - S_____ _____s
???: ______ ___ ___s - ____ ___ ____ _____s
???: _____ __ _____s - ____ __ _ ____
???: ______ _____ - ___ __ _____s?
???: ______s___ _____s___ - ______
???: ____ ____ ______ - ___ S_____s __ __ ____
???: ______s ____ - ___ ______ss___ __ ____

Letters Guessed:
S

Luoto waits 3

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #558 on: June 28, 2017, 09:50:41 AM »
B

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #559 on: June 28, 2017, 11:15:57 PM »
???: ___b__ _____ - S____b__s_
???: _____s ___ _______s - S_____ _____s
???: ______ ___ ___s - ____ ___ ____ _____s
???: _____ __ _____s - ____ __ _ ____
???: ______ __b__ - ___ __ _____s?
???: ______s___ _____s___ - ______
???: ____ ____ ______ - ___ S_____s __ __ ____
???: ______s ____ - ___ ______ss___ __ ____

Letters Guessed:
BS

Bolsters waits 3
Luoto waits 2

i think y'all simultaneously decided to send me songs that are all kind of simple and that's what's making this round feel weird. of all 10 tracks this round maybe 1 or 2 of them at best isn't super straightforward and even then the most complex songs aren't really that complex even still. it isn't necessarily a bad thing though