Author Topic: Trump's Presidency thread. v 100 days and counting  (Read 32390 times)

Offline TL

Re: Trump's Presidency thread. v 100 days and counting
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2017, 12:33:46 PM »
Yeah, I know, TL.  I'm not one to jump on the "the economy was in the toilet during the Obama administration and immediately course-corrected the day Trump was elected" bandwagon because, while some elements of that argument may be true, there are a variety of factors and elements of the economy that can be looked at that will tell completely different stories simply depending on what factors you are looking at and what story you are trying to tell.  But I think my point to JD is still completely valid.  There always will be specific outlier localities that do not necessarily follow the national trend, for any number of reasons.
No worries. Sorry if it felt like I was putting words in your mouth, that certainly wasn't my intent.

We do seem to agree on the point that "the economy" in a country as large as the US is a complicated thing, and a lot of nuance tends to be left out when it gets brought up (especially by news outlets when they just give the soundbite of "The economy is doing well/poorly".

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2017, 12:39:47 PM »
No worries. Sorry if it felt like I was putting words in your mouth, that certainly wasn't my intent.

Oh, not at all.  I think we generally agree as to the complexity and nuance of it all.  I was just clarifying/fine-tuning in light of what you posted, that's all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2017, 01:08:03 PM »
We do seem to agree on the point that "the economy" in a country as large as the US is a complicated thing, and a lot of nuance tends to be left out when it gets brought up (especially by news outlets when they just give the soundbite of "The economy is doing well/poorly".

Trump: Who knew the economy would be so hard?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2017, 03:18:00 PM »
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/jeff-sessions-woman-guilty-laughing-year-jail-sentence-code-pink-protester-a7716456.html

So, this seems fair.

Is there more to this story?  I'd hope so because just laughing even if it was purposeful for a negative reaction, is not really a crime IMO, nor is it even close to a year in jail sentancing IMO.

As for Sessions, who I don't like one bit, I am glad that he told Colorado's governor that he would not be going after legal marijuana.  We all know he opposes it, but I am glad he's letting it get a pass.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2017, 03:21:20 PM »
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/jeff-sessions-woman-guilty-laughing-year-jail-sentence-code-pink-protester-a7716456.html

So, this seems fair.

Is there more to this story?  I'd hope so because just laughing even if it was purposeful for a negative reaction, is not really a crime IMO, nor is it even close to a year in jail sentancing IMO.

As for Sessions, who I don't like one bit, I am glad that he told Colorado's governor that he would not be going after legal marijuana.  We all know he opposes it, but I am glad he's letting it get a pass.

Maybe it's one of those "comtempt of court" things?  A federal confirmation hearing is serious business and if you've managed to get yourself into that room at that moment, if you choose to act the fool, even as protest, you have to know  there might be consequences.  But a year in jail? Seems excessive

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2017, 03:28:14 PM »
Well, the Congress refused to fund him for prosecuting in states where it's legal.  So don't give him too much credit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2017, 03:49:51 PM »

So, this seems fair.

Maybe it's one of those "comtempt of court" things?  A federal confirmation hearing is serious business and if you've managed to get yourself into that room at that moment, if you choose to act the fool, even as protest, you have to know  there might be consequences.  But a year in jail? Seems excessive
From what I've seen it's much like Dr. Numbnuts on the United Flight. The jury found her guilty, but only because of her behavior after she was told to leave the gallery. If she'd only laughed at him then they wouldn't have convicted her. Moreover, they thought the capitol cop that threw here out was wrong and acting like the rookie that she was. So, it shouldn't have happened but once it did she compounded the mistake by making a scene.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2017, 04:27:17 PM »
Wasn't it also part and parcel of bringing a sign in during the confirmation hearing, and thus "protesting" in a government building where that is prohibited (or something along those lines)?  Also, crazy-lady has a history of tainted behaviours during protests.  I doubt it's as innocent as this media outlet is portraying, but it certainly doesn't sound like something worthy of a year in prison.
Dream Theater Forums: Expanding musical tastes and shrinking wallets since 2009.
Note to forum, jingle is usually right.
I'm actually disappointed he's not Kim Jong-Il

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2017, 04:39:20 PM »
Her past history that's not really a consideration here. Either she's guilty or she's not and what happened a day, week, month, year before doesn't factor into it.

I have no idea how sentencing works here, but if it's the same jury that determines it I don't see her doing much time at all. They were actually pretty sympathetic to her. Several said they were essentially forced to convict her because of the wording of the law.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2017, 04:46:15 PM »

So, this seems fair.

From what I've seen it's much like Dr. Numbnuts on the United Flight. The jury found her guilty, but only because of her behavior after she was told to leave the gallery. If she'd only laughed at him then they wouldn't have convicted her. Moreover, they thought the capitol cop that threw here out was wrong and acting like the rookie that she was. So, it shouldn't have happened but once it did she compounded the mistake by making a scene.

That makes a lot more sense, but to be fair, Dr. Numbnuts on the United Flight did nothing of that sort and as a United FF, I am 100% on his side.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2017, 05:30:50 PM »

So, this seems fair.

That makes a lot more sense, but to be fair, Dr. Numbnuts on the United Flight did nothing of that sort and as a United FF, I am 100% on his side.
I was on Numbnuts' side when he was being victimized by the airline. I was on the airline's side when he switched from victim to trespasser.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2017, 06:30:44 PM »
Her past history that's not really a consideration here. Either she's guilty or she's not and what happened a day, week, month, year before doesn't factor into it.

I understand that... all I was insinuating is that she has a history, and it may not have been as simple as a little chuckle/snort at a comment that was made during his confirmation hearings.
Dream Theater Forums: Expanding musical tastes and shrinking wallets since 2009.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #83 on: May 04, 2017, 08:05:03 AM »
I was on Numbnuts' side when he was being victimized by the airline. I was on the airline's side when he switched from victim to trespasser.

Probably not the place for this discussion, but how was he a trespasser?  I've had this debate with my friends who were on United's side, but no one has yet been able to tell me what he did wrong.  He didn't get violent, didn't yell obscenities, and there is no fine print about what happens when the airline wants to remove you AFTER boarding for reasons other than safety.  They had every right to deny him boarding, but once you are on that plane, they don't have any policy for force ably removing you, let alone injuring you.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2017, 08:14:23 AM »
Wasn't it also part and parcel of bringing a sign in during the confirmation hearing, and thus "protesting" in a government building where that is prohibited (or something along those lines)?  Also, crazy-lady has a history of tainted behaviours during protests.  I doubt it's as innocent as this media outlet is portraying, but it certainly doesn't sound like something worthy of a year in prison.

[Butthead]You said "taint"[/Butthead]

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2017, 08:17:06 AM »
My local news
There's your answer.  There will always be outliers in localities somewhere.  Your locality obviously isn't indicative of the national trends.
According to the World Bank, the US overall has had positive economic growth every year from 2010 to 2015 (the most recent year they have data presented for), ranging from about 1.6% to 2.6% per year.
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.MKTP.KD.ZG?locations=US

The US Bureau of Labor Statistics indicates that there was a net increase in jobs steadily from October of 2010 to present.
https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/CES0000000001?output_view=net_1mth

I have no doubt that some regions of the country didn't benefit from this as much as others, and that folks in some locations really have been experiencing rough times, and that absolutely does need to be addressed. The US economy as a whole though seems to have been doing well for the past six or seven years.

This directly feeds my second "We SHOULD BE" comment.   We are a large, vast country.   We DO - often - go through regional ebbs and flows.  I do not at all think it is unreasonable to have relocation of workforce be a required part of that equation.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2017, 08:20:39 AM »

Probably not the place for this discussion, but how was he a trespasser?  I've had this debate with my friends who were on United's side, but no one has yet been able to tell me what he did wrong.  He didn't get violent, didn't yell obscenities, and there is no fine print about what happens when the airline wants to remove you AFTER boarding for reasons other than safety.  They had every right to deny him boarding, but once you are on that plane, they don't have any policy for force ably removing you, let alone injuring you.

It's not his plane, it's not a public place.   Better or worse, PR nightmare or no, United HAS A RIGHT to ask someone to leave their plane.  What they can't do is take your money and not give you a flight.  But if they refunded his ticket, he has NO RIGHT to that seat.  When he refused to leave that seat - again, a seat he has NO LEGAL RIGHT TO - he became a trespasser. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2017, 08:23:41 AM »

It's not his plane, it's not a public place.   Better or worse, PR nightmare or no, United HAS A RIGHT to ask someone to leave their plane.  What they can't do is take your money and not give you a flight.  But if they refunded his ticket, he has NO RIGHT to that seat.  When he refused to leave that seat - again, a seat he has NO LEGAL RIGHT TO - he became a trespasser.

He was not offered a refund, nor was he specifically told his rights as stated in the fine print for removing someone after boarding.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2017, 08:24:47 AM »

So, this seems fair.

Yeah, I think el barto has it right, and that's a misleading headline.  "Jeff Sessions" has nothing to do with it.  If she did that same thing in any other session (no pun intended), she would have faced the same consequences.   

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2017, 08:31:32 AM »

He was not offered a refund, nor was he specifically told his rights as stated in the fine print for removing someone after boarding.
He was offered compensation right out of the gate (figuratively speaking). The airline is obligated to that end. Moreover, the T&C are pretty explicit about this. Just like any restaurant or store, they can refuse service to anybody they damn well please. There's really not much question about United's right to have him leave their plane. The analogy I used elsewhere is that if you go into a Denny's and the manager asks you to leave because he doesn't like your haircut, he's being a dick, but if you refuse to leave you are trespassing and the cops will remove you from the restaurant one way or another.

BTW, I figured it out at the time, and the $800 they offered was just enough for a room at the Four Seasons, a four course steak dinner at Mortons and a comfortable AM flight home on a different airline, with enough to cover taxes and cabfare left over. Dude made the wrong call.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #90 on: May 04, 2017, 08:40:28 AM »
He was offered compensation on United's terms, but thats not a refund.  Listen, the 800 is nice (but it's not money).  Im surprised people didn't bite, but they could and should have gone higher.  I think 1300 was the max, now after this, it is now a 10,000 max.  Either way, he boarded the plane.  Once you complete boarding the rules change for airlines and their procedures for removing you.  That's the problem.  United went against their own written rules by removing him forcibly.  He also just walked away with a huge settlement.  United knows they were wrong and paid up big time for it (I can only assume, no one is allowed to discuss the $). 

Edit, also the comapisons are incorrect because the airlines have to abide by more rules and regulations than a restaurant or typical store owner

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2017, 08:50:11 AM »
He was offered compensation on United's terms, but thats not a refund.  Listen, the 800 is nice (but it's not money).  Im surprised people didn't bite, but they could and should have gone higher.  I think 1300 was the max, now after this, it is now a 10,000 max.  Either way, he boarded the plane.  Once you complete boarding the rules change for airlines and their procedures for removing you.  That's the problem.  United went against their own written rules by removing him forcibly.  He also just walked away with a huge settlement.  United knows they were wrong and paid up big time for it (I can only assume, no one is allowed to discuss the $). 

Edit, also the comapisons are incorrect because the airlines have to abide by more rules and regulations than a restaurant or typical store owner
Once it became involuntary he was eligible for cash rather than vouchers. He might not have known that but that's on him.

I believe you also run into a conflict between United's rules and FAA regulations which mandated that the crew board the flight. In any case, United owns the plane and United has the right to boot somebody off of it.

In my opinion the better move for United in that situation would have been to announce to the other passengers that "the plane will not be taking off until somebody leaves. And by the way, the person randomly selected is sitting in 27A." Take the Sgt. Hartman approach and let the rest of he passengers sort it out.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2017, 08:53:09 AM »

Once it became involuntary he was eligible for cash rather than vouchers. He might not have known that but that's on him.

I believe you also run into a conflict between United's rules and FAA regulations which mandated that the crew board the flight. In any case, United owns the plane and United has the right to boot somebody off of it.

In my opinion the better move for United in that situation would have been to announce to the other passengers that "the plane will not be taking off until somebody leaves. And by the way, the person randomly selected is sitting in 27A." Take the Sgt. Hartman approach and let the rest of he passengers sort it out.

Bolded for where United broke their own written rules.  He is supposed to be told of all of this before they remove him from the plane, they did not. 

I think there were plenty of ways United could have handled it better, but they broke their own rules in this situation. 

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2017, 09:14:03 AM »

Bolded for where United broke their own written rules.  He is supposed to be told of all of this before they remove him from the plane, they did not. 

I think there were plenty of ways United could have handled it better, but they broke their own rules in this situation.
Are we sure he was not told? In any case, it doesn't change the fact that he was told to GTFO the plane and he refused.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2017, 09:52:58 AM »
Are we sure he was not told? In any case, it doesn't change the fact that he was told to GTFO the plane and he refused.

The more recent videos of before the removal haven't shown that, but I guess there is always going to be questions since it's a fine line.  I guess we can bring it back to the relation of this thread in that there was actually a congressional hearing about this the other day http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/02/526530542/united-ceo-called-before-congress-to-explain-eviction-and-injury-of-passenger

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2017, 10:19:17 AM »

The more recent videos of before the removal haven't shown that, but I guess there is always going to be questions since it's a fine line.  I guess we can bring it back to the relation of this thread in that there was actually a congressional hearing about this the other day http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/05/02/526530542/united-ceo-called-before-congress-to-explain-eviction-and-injury-of-passenger

Cram, not as argument, but just clarification, even if you are right on all those things, it STILL doesn't change the equation.  It might make them look worse in the eyes of the buying public, I'll give you that, but the bottom line remains:  he was technically a trespasser at that point.   As el Barto said, and I'm paraphrasing, it might have been a dick move, but it was THEIR move to make.   

It's a technicality, but any settlement they paid to him was not because he was not on the flight as it left.  It was for all the other nonsense that went along with it.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2017, 04:24:52 PM »
So Donald has fired the man in charge of the investigation into him. I wonder if something big was coming.

Seems as though we are reaching the point where either the cover up will be essentially successful or the whole thing comes crashing down on these people. Let's hope it's the latter.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2017, 04:30:16 PM »
The fact is that Comey's incompetence provides Grabby very good cover either way. Sacking the guy who's investigating you looks identical to firing the guy who keeps publicly blundering his investigations.

That said, including the "hey, thanks for clearing me 3 times!" part in the termination letter is fairly off-putting.
E.F. Benson

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2017, 04:43:47 PM »
hooooooooooooooo boy

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Head Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2017, 05:47:56 PM »
Quote from: nightmare_cinema
So should lonestar and I have babies or something now, is that how this works?
Dang, you're easily the coolest fogey I know of

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2017, 08:19:20 PM »
Has shit hit the fan yet?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2017, 06:04:07 AM »
Nothing to see here. Biased liberal media has it out for Trump.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2017, 06:09:58 AM »
But her emails!!!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2017, 06:30:08 AM »
I know, right?