Author Topic: Trump's Presidency thread. v 100 days and counting  (Read 97511 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Trump's Presidency thread. v 100 days and counting
« Reply #1610 on: October 31, 2017, 02:49:49 PM »
Most of the backlash that I've seen isn't that what he said isn't true, it's that we shouldn't have compromised on something as abhorrent as slavery.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2017!
« Reply #1611 on: October 31, 2017, 03:41:29 PM »
It's so hard to tell with 140 characters or less.  ;)   

Seriously, though, from what I read, Kelly wasn't' giving a qualitative analysis - that is, it was BETTER to do one or the other - but he was saying that it was EITHER "compromise" or "Civil War", and at that point that was true.   If the backlash was just that "we shouldn't have compromised" why all the tweets calling him a racist, or commenting on his (lack of) intelligence, or worse?   

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1612 on: October 31, 2017, 05:30:35 PM »

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1613 on: October 31, 2017, 06:14:36 PM »
That's a hoot. Princess Leah actually reminds me of Stuart Lockwood.

In all fairness I don't like children and they don't like me. I won't rag on Grabby for the awkwardness of the situation. Yet the constant need for everything to be about himself is on full display, reminding us what a silly putz he really is.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #1614 on: October 31, 2017, 08:18:15 PM »
Say what you will about his politics, Obama has never lacked for charisma.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1615 on: November 01, 2017, 08:39:26 AM »
I'm not sure what the point of that was (not you, Chino, I mean making it).   Do we want to compare the size, consistency and firmness of their stools next?   Trump is 71, Barack was, what, 48 when he took office?  That's almost a generation.

I used to live down the street from the Governor's Mansion in Connecticut, and every Halloween, Dannel Malloy would do something similar to what Obama did in that video.   He was somewhere in between, outside, shaking hands, etc., with an occasional political message thrown in.  Fun for the kids, sort of fascinating in a science experiment kind of way for the parents (especially me, who likes Malloy, but disagrees with a reasonable amount of his politics, and feels a little... betrayed at Malloy's obvious national aspirations at the expense of this great State.  #MCGA!)

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1616 on: November 01, 2017, 08:49:55 AM »
I think the point was that Obama tried to make it fun for the kiddos. Trump made it about himself, using the kids as a prop to rail against the evil media.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1617 on: November 01, 2017, 09:01:11 AM »
I'm not sure what the point of that was (not you, Chino, I mean making it).   Do we want to compare the size, consistency and firmness of their stools next?   Trump is 71, Barack was, what, 48 when he took office?  That's almost a generation.

I used to live down the street from the Governor's Mansion in Connecticut, and every Halloween, Dannel Malloy would do something similar to what Obama did in that video.   He was somewhere in between, outside, shaking hands, etc., with an occasional political message thrown in.  Fun for the kids, sort of fascinating in a science experiment kind of way for the parents (especially me, who likes Malloy, but disagrees with a reasonable amount of his politics, and feels a little... betrayed at Malloy's obvious national aspirations at the expense of this great State.  #MCGA!)

I had an opportunity to meet Malloy at my last place of employment (Voya). He came and gave a little talk outside to the employees a few days after one of his debates with Foley before the last election. I walked up to him afterward and extended my hand. I said something like "Governor Malloy, I appreciate you speaking about *I forget what it was* during the debate the other night". He put his hand on my shoulder and went right around me, heading straight for the buffet table. I thought it was kind of lame.

I like the guy (also hate most of his policies, or at least his approach to them), but I've liked him less and less as time has gone on.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #1618 on: November 02, 2017, 04:00:15 PM »
"Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) said Thursday she believes the 2016 Democratic presidential primary was rigged for Hillary Clinton."

Warren went on to say that she believes the Earth is round, and that the Easter Bunny is not real.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
    • my music
« Reply #1619 on: November 02, 2017, 04:18:26 PM »
"Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) said Thursday she believes the 2016 Democratic presidential primary was rigged for Hillary Clinton."

Warren went on to say that she believes the Earth is round, and that the Easter Bunny is not real.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/02/clinton-brazile-hacks-2016-215774

Here's a good article from today going into how Donna Brazile found out the DNC was rigged for Clinton
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1620 on: November 02, 2017, 05:16:57 PM »
https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/02/clinton-brazile-hacks-2016-215774

Here's a good article from today going into how Donna Brazile found out the DNC was rigged for Clinton
Something everyone who paid any attention already knew, and the Sanders campaign specifically expressed its concern about the DNC's agreement. So either Brazile is really stretching the truth about her own role in all of this, or she's remarkably unaware.

Offline Lucien

• my music
« Reply #1621 on: November 02, 2017, 07:21:53 PM »

Something everyone who paid any attention already knew, and the Sanders campaign specifically expressed its concern about the DNC's agreement. So either Brazile is really stretching the truth about her own role in all of this, or she's remarkably unaware.

There are still people that claim that the DNC didn't cheat at all, talk about the 3 million votes Sanders lost too, and blame him for Trump's victory

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #1622 on: November 03, 2017, 06:36:41 AM »

There are still people that claim that the DNC didn't cheat at all, talk about the 3 million votes Sanders lost too, and blame him for Trump's victory

I'm guessing these are the same people that can't see the irony connecting this and the DNC/Hillary paying for a dossier that "proves" Trump colluded with the Russians to RIG the election  :facepalm:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #1623 on: November 03, 2017, 07:05:58 AM »

to quote that article

The funding arrangement with HFA and the victory fund agreement was not illegal, but it sure looked unethical.

This pretty much sums up what most of America felt about Hillary's time in office I think.  Anyway, that piece sure looked like fluff if you ask me.  Nothing of real substance, besides that one line really sticking out to me.   

Offline Lucien

• my music
« Reply #1624 on: November 03, 2017, 08:13:24 AM »

I'm guessing these are the same people that can't see the irony connecting this and the DNC/Hillary paying for a dossier that "proves" Trump colluded with the Russians to RIG the election  :facepalm:

Well, many parts of the Steele Dossier have been confirmed as a part of the Mueller investigation, iirc. We'll have to wait and see what comes out of that. Best case scenario Clinton and Trump both go down. But Trump first, since I don't want to hear his gloating when Clinton eventually gets locked up too.

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #1625 on: November 03, 2017, 08:30:06 AM »

Well, many parts of the Steele Dossier have been confirmed as a part of the Mueller investigation, iirc. We'll have to wait and see what comes out of that. Best case scenario Clinton and Trump both go down. But Trump first, since I don't want to hear his gloating when Clinton eventually gets locked up too.

I get what you're saying, and it's going to play out however it plays out.  I just find it supremely ironic (in the worst of possible ways) that Hill and the DNC can collude to give the nomination to Hill, and then together fund the creation of a dossier to prove that collusion stole the presidency from her.

Online El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1626 on: November 03, 2017, 08:31:12 AM »
Manboy's Asia trip is supposed to be a ten day affair. I put the over/under at 8 days. He'll be cranky after 5 and probably send Invanka to a meeting or two around that point before heading home. 
E.F. Benson

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1627 on: November 03, 2017, 08:32:59 AM »

Don't hold your breath for any of that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1628 on: November 03, 2017, 08:36:24 AM »

Pretty much.  Those Clinton fans obviously don't believe in democracy; they wanted a coronation and for everyone to get out of the way so she could win.

My favorite is the Clinton fans who say, "Who cares if it was rigged?  She was going to win anyway, so it doesn't matter."  And yes, I have seen that argument made numerous times.  It boggles the mind that some actually think that way.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1629 on: November 03, 2017, 08:53:24 AM »
The financing agreement was unethical ok, the Hillary Campaign paid  for things before they supposed to  (including paying the DNC's debt)  but I don't see how that somehow gives the Bernie Campaign more votes during the primaries or how the nomination was stolen from them.  Obviously one side had a lot more money but that's no different than any other campaign.  The DNC preferred Hillary yes and it was bad form to show it so openly but they didn't give her money, it was the other way around, they were bleeding money, in part because Obama didn't fundraise enough for them after 2012 wich, should we really feel bad for the DNC? I don't think so.

edit: to be clear, yes I preferred Hillary over Bernie, you can accuse me of all the bias it's fine.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1630 on: November 03, 2017, 09:32:37 AM »
The agreement gave Clinton's campaign team significant control over the DNC as far back as 2015. I'm certainly not going to claim that Sanders would've otherwise won the primary, but I don't see how that wouldn't make an impact.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1631 on: November 03, 2017, 09:38:33 AM »
I get what you're saying, and it's going to play out however it plays out.  I just find it supremely ironic (in the worst of possible ways) that Hill and the DNC can collude to give the nomination to Hill, and then together fund the creation of a dossier to prove that collusion stole the presidency from her.
The "Clinton-funded dossier" is a red herring pushed in the lead up to the first indictments of the investigation. Earlier talking points were that it was "made up" by people on nefarious sites we can't mention here. They've been desperate to discredit it since day one, using whatever means. Using repitition to try to tie the name "Clinton" to it was just the latest.

For clarity, it was a private intelligence firm that was hired to do research initially by a conservative publication during the Republican primaries, and who transferred clients to a law firm working for the Clinton campaign / Democrats after Trump was the presumptive nominee for the Republican party. There was no "funding of a dossier to prove collusion" - there was a private firm investigating (known as "oppo research", standard practice in politics as far as I'm aware) Trump legally, first during the Republican primary then during the general election. The "dossier" is a summary of what they found.

Now the events in question are under investigation by law enforcement - if they needed to use this private firm's info at all, it would only be to look to see if they could corroborate any of the claims in it.

The DNC thing seems like a shitshow. Generally, and I've found this to be true in many different contexts, when people are claiming "It's rigged" "It's rigged" about something they generally struggle to explain exactly what they mean when you ask "How was it rigged?" That's definitely true for the Democratic Primaries, and for the presidential election. "It was rigged" is simply too simplistic - you need to be able to explain exactly what you mean.

That Donna Brazille article is laughable in its writing style ("I put on some gospel music before I called Bernie Sanders"... really?). And wasn't this one of the people who caught loads of flack for the corruption in the DNC? To be honest, it really seems like since she needs to sell books and knows people don't really care what she has to say, she is flogging to the only crowd who look like buying.

However, once you get to the actual meat of the claims it is interesting, and it's good to see it laid out what actually happened rather than just a general sense of "It's not fair!". It seems the DNC was a complete mess from an organisational and financial standpoint and since they basically presumed Clinton was going to be the nominee, they let their finances and operations get tangled up with the Clinton campaign before it even began. Honestly, my guess is that it wasn't really a great plan to limit challengers - it just was just the decision that seemed to make sense since it was "obvious" there weren't going to be any serious challengers. Needless to say they were wrong, and it turned into a disaster for them.

Even Donna Brazille herself said (I'm paraphrasing here I will search for the quote if it's in contention) that "Once it was clear there was a serious challenger, we tried to make sure everything was fair and transparent". And again, I do believe that is probably true - however, they shouldn't have had to wait until Sanders presented himself as a legitimate challenger before realising they shouldn't have been acting as though Clinton was the presumptive nominee. They should have had a more transparent and fair setup from the start, even if it seemed "obvious" Clinton would win.

The primary votes were held, and I don't think any of Brazille's comments present any new evidence of them not being legitimate. But Sanders was on the back foot from the beginning with the DNC, and no amount of scrambling to pretend they weren't already gearing up for a Clinton win could change that. Ironically, I think that Clinton's name recognition alone would mean she would have won anyway - even if the DNC favouring her helped at all, my guess is it would've been cancelled out in part by the negative reaction surrounding it. And the backlash was certainly a negative in the general. So fixing these problems with the DNC isn't just a case of "Bernie vs. Hillary". Their candidate would have been stronger either way - either it'd be Bernie after proving that he really did have a popular wave behind him that might sweep him to victory, or it would be Hillary anyway but having pulled off a clean win and not bogged down by negativity about the DNC.

Anyway, as for what all this means now? If there's any legal wrongdoing in all of this, by all means prosecute it, but it doesn't seem like that's the case. If it's just a case of "political consequences" for political wrongdoing... well, Hillary already lost to Donald Trump, which is quite frankly the most embarassing failure there is. They already suffered the political consequences when they lost, probably in part due to the actions of the DNC in the primary. The DNC must make more effort to make sure not to end up in a similar position again, and hopefully this coming out means the voters will be more vigilant and hold them accountable more quickly if they look like doing anything similar next time.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 11:12:48 AM by RuRoRul »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #1632 on: November 03, 2017, 09:42:18 AM »
The financing agreement was unethical ok, the Hillary Campaign paid  for things before they supposed to  (including paying the DNC's debt)  but I don't see how that somehow gives the Bernie Campaign more votes during the primaries or how the nomination was stolen from them.  Obviously one side had a lot more money but that's no different than any other campaign.  The DNC preferred Hillary yes and it was bad form to show it so openly but they didn't give her money, it was the other way around, they were bleeding money, in part because Obama didn't fundraise enough for them after 2012 wich, should we really feel bad for the DNC? I don't think so.

edit: to be clear, yes I preferred Hillary over Bernie, you can accuse me of all the bias it's fine.

But that's missing the point.  That's a slap in the face to the American public who expected a fair election, regardless of what the end result may or may not have been.  And I guess to Donna's point, a reason why Trump won.  Not just because Clinton was using money to gain the influence of the DNC, but because that act is exactly a reason why the American public didn't trust her and some people voted for Trump as a vote against her. 

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #1633 on: November 03, 2017, 09:50:06 AM »

But that's missing the point.  That's a slap in the face to the American public who expected a fair election, regardless of what the end result may or may not have been.  And I guess to Donna's point, a reason why Trump won.  Not just because Clinton was using money to gain the influence of the DNC, but because that act is exactly a reason why the American public didn't trust her and some people voted for Trump as a vote against her.

Like RuRoRul said I agree it hurt her chances in the general election, no argument there.  I'm just pushing back on the idea that Bernie would have had the nomination if not for this.  But I understand that may not be what anyone here is arguing so fair enough.   

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #1634 on: November 03, 2017, 11:28:03 AM »
When someone CHEATS, the degree to which it helped them win is irrelevant.

I'm a golfer. There was a huge rules fiasco early in the year involving Lexi Thompson. With a ~2' putt remaining, she marked her ball to the SIDE, picked the ball up, cleaned it, and replaced in FRONT of the marker. She may have only moved her ball an inch or so, but that doesn't change the fact that it was an egregious example of violating a rule that PROTECTS THE FIELD (the foundation of enforceable rules in any competition).

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1635 on: November 03, 2017, 12:42:21 PM »
There is a difference between cheating, and an inadvertent rules violation.  Intent.
If you address the ball and the wind moves the ball, you can be penalized.  Rules violation, penalty assessed, but certainly no cheating.
I am not familiar with the DNC situation, but like in golf, I can see rules violations happening, and being punishable, that are not cheating.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #1636 on: November 03, 2017, 01:10:20 PM »
There is a difference between cheating, and an inadvertent rules violation.  Intent.
If you address the ball and the wind moves the ball, you can be penalized.  Rules violation, penalty assessed, but certainly no cheating.
I am not familiar with the DNC situation, but like in golf, I can see rules violations happening, and being punishable, that are not cheating.

I'll concede that my analogy didn't factor in intent. Yes, that's important. So how about this: Moving a loose impediment, which is within the rules, but risky when you consider that if the ball moves it's a violation. There are scenarios like Tiger, who's got an HD camera on him at all times, that can pick up the slightest movement, even when he can't. A violation, but not necessarily the intent of cheating. I would more equate Hillary of pulling the pine needle, seeing the ball move, her caddy saw the ball move, and the walking rules official saw the ball move... nobody said anything.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1637 on: November 03, 2017, 03:00:54 PM »

Read up up on the DNC situation and tell me if you think the actions of Clinton and her team were "inadvertent."

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #1638 on: November 03, 2017, 05:35:00 PM »

Read up up on the DNC situation and tell me if you think the actions of Clinton and her team were "inadvertent."

I just wanted to bring up the issue of intent in general, and that sometimes even violations are accidents.  Not commenting on the specifics of the DNC situation.  I will leave the specifics of that to the people who have more knowledge on the subject.  I just dont have the time or desire to read or research it (or anything political on either side of the isle) right now.
Maybe just the unbiased Cliff Notes :)
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1639 on: November 06, 2017, 10:26:52 AM »

to quote that article

The funding arrangement with HFA and the victory fund agreement was not illegal, but it sure looked unethical.

This pretty much sums up what most of America felt about Hillary's time in office I think.  Anyway, that piece sure looked like fluff if you ask me.  Nothing of real substance, besides that one line really sticking out to me.

I think what kills me most about all of this is the constant diatribe against Trump about his blindness to the optics of what he does.  No question, he's oblivious.

But my God; Hillary has been in politics for FORTY-FIVE FUCKING YEARS, and yet she's STILL apparently oblivious to how her ethical lapses - either real or perceived - hurt her in the voting public's eye.    I'd be the first person to say "you have to take each case on it's merits", regardless of how many there are, but at this point, I'm not critical of her for her ethical transgressions, I'm critical of her for being so stupid or megalomaniacal to not see the impact of her actions (and she's NOT stupid).   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1640 on: November 06, 2017, 10:28:24 AM »

Pretty much.  Those Clinton fans obviously don't believe in democracy; they wanted a coronation and for everyone to get out of the way so she could win.

My favorite is the Clinton fans who say, "Who cares if it was rigged?  She was going to win anyway, so it doesn't matter."  And yes, I have seen that argument made numerous times.  It boggles the mind that some actually think that way.

I agree; wasn't she supposed to win the big one "anyway" too?   "Any Given Sunday". 

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1641 on: November 29, 2017, 10:51:10 PM »
I thought I read earlier that Trump did not believe in sabctions against North Corea...

Why then is he using that ineffective method now?

https://www.google.se/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/29/north-korea-trump-threatens-major-sanctions-after-latest-missile-test

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1642 on: November 30, 2017, 08:43:38 AM »
I thought I read earlier that Trump did not believe in sabctions against North Corea...

Why then is he using that ineffective method now?

https://www.google.se/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/29/north-korea-trump-threatens-major-sanctions-after-latest-missile-test

Presidents 1 through 44, I would say "to check the boxes and dot the i's before taking real action", but I know that will be rejected outright by most here, and it really doesn't fit the profile of 45.

Offline Kattelox

• Cart Corral Crusader
« Reply #1643 on: November 30, 2017, 10:27:44 AM »
Er, I guess the White House is planning to replace Rex Tillerson with Mike Pompeo? What? Why?
RYM || Last.FM
"No Christ, God, nor religion gave me the answers I was looking for" - Timo Tolkki

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1644 on: November 30, 2017, 10:40:13 AM »
Er, I guess the White House is planning to replace Rex Tillerson with Mike Pompeo? What? Why?

Tillerson allegedly called Trump a moron.