Author Topic: Trump's Presidency thread. v 100 days and counting  (Read 24888 times)

Chino and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Trump's Presidency thread. v 100 days and counting
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 12:07:56 PM »
Yuge.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 12:24:10 PM »
Believe me.
Dream Theater Forums: Expanding musical tastes and shrinking wallets since 2009.
Note to forum, jingle is usually right.
I'm actually disappointed he's not Kim Jong-Il

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2017
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 07:14:00 PM »
Sad!
"Keep your stick on the ice. I'm pulling for ya. Remember we're all in this together."
-Red Green

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 07:55:58 AM »
Bigly
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2017, 08:04:04 AM »
This will be the greatest thread.  Trust me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2017, 08:16:37 AM »
At this point, I am becoming more amused by Congress and their activity with each other and dealing with Trump than by Trump himself.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2017, 08:32:35 AM »
We broke another record, folks. I'd like to thank the fire marshalls for keeping everyone safe. There are posters outside this thread who were not even able to get in the door. We set a new record for number of posts in a single thread. It's tremendous.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2017, 09:38:36 AM »
We're gonna have the best replies in this thread folks. We're gonna have all the topics covered, including pre-existing topics, and it's gonna be so easy.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 10:39:44 AM »
That isn't a dumb question at all, much smarter people than him have been asking that question for 150 years. The dumbness comes in where he assumes there is an easy answer, because there isn't one.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF's resident deceased dictator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • The changing of the worrd is inevitabre!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2017, 11:02:40 AM »
No one's a bigger supporter of the DTF P/R sub-forum than I am.  No one.  I have such respect for all the mods, they do a fantastic job.  I'm here for all the P/R posters, not the elite DT-Side community, or the fake news, aka - Polls/Survivors.  They treat me so unfair!
Dream Theater Forums: Expanding musical tastes and shrinking wallets since 2009.
Note to forum, jingle is usually right.
I'm actually disappointed he's not Kim Jong-Il

Offline contest_sanity

• A merican lite ra(p)ture(s)
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 11:51:34 AM »
This thread is more work than the previous one. I thought this one would be easier...

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 11:54:12 AM »
this thread is more work than in the previous one. I thought this one would be easier...

Yet, somehow, it's the most successful thread in DTF history.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline contest_sanity

• A merican lite ra(p)ture(s)
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 11:57:47 AM »
this thread is more work than in the previous one. I thought this one would be easier...
Yet, somehow, it's the most successful BIGLY thread in DTF history.
Fixed.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2017, 11:58:22 AM »
Boy do I feel like a dumbass for posting something serious in this thread. Well done, boys. Carry on.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2017, 11:59:23 AM »
That isn't a dumb question at all, much smarter people than him have been asking that question for 150 years. The dumbness comes in where he assumes there is an easy answer, because there isn't one.

It shows a lack of understanding.

Similarly when he said there's no reason that there's not peace between Israel and Palestine.

Just a complete ignorance on the subject. Fine questions aside.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2017, 12:03:48 PM »
As Time magazine posted this morning, Abraham Lincoln's version of why we had the Civil War seems correct to me, and always has, more or less.

Both parties deprecated war, but one of them would make war rather than let the nation survive, and the other would accept war rather than let it perish, and the war came.

One-eighth of the whole population were colored slaves, not distributed generally over the Union, but localized in the southern part of it. These slaves constituted a peculiar and powerful interest. All knew that this interest was somehow the cause of the war.

From Lincoln's second inaugural address.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2017, 12:10:21 PM »
Also then the "People don't ask that question..." part of the statement is pretty dumb.

"Nobody knew healthcare / presidenting / the Civil War was so complicated..."
As Time magazine posted this morning, Abraham Lincoln's version of why we had the Civil War seems correct to me, and always has, more or less.

Both parties deprecated war, but one of them would make war rather than let the nation survive, and the other would accept war rather than let it perish, and the war came.

One-eighth of the whole population were colored slaves, not distributed generally over the Union, but localized in the southern part of it. These slaves constituted a peculiar and powerful interest. All knew that this interest was somehow the cause of the war.

From Lincoln's second inaugural address.
Tremendous. Did you know that Abraham Lincoln was a Republican? It's true, nobody knows this, but Honest Abe, a Republican, believe me. Though it's being recognised more and more, and I think I started - nobody was talking about it, then I said it, suddenly people started looking into it. So I got that done.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2017, 12:42:07 PM »
Boy do I feel like a dumbass for posting something serious in this thread. Well done, boys. Carry on.

Enhance your calm, John Spartan.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 01:36:37 PM »
...since Reagan.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2017, 02:06:51 PM »
Some research from Democrats about why people in Michigan and Wisconsin swung from Obama to Trump

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/blogs/plum-line/wp/2017/05/01/why-did-trump-win-new-research-by-democrats-offers-a-worrisome-answer/
The poll found that Obama-Trump voters, many of whom are working-class whites and were pivotal to Trump’s victory, are economically losing ground and are skeptical of Democratic solutions to their problems. Among the findings:

50 percent of Obama-Trump voters said their incomes are falling behind the cost of living, and another 31 percent said their incomes are merely keeping pace with the cost of living.
A sizable chunk of Obama-Trump voters — 30 percent — said their vote for Trump was more a vote against Clinton than a vote for Trump. Remember, these voters backed Obama four years earlier.
42 percent of Obama-Trump voters said congressional Democrats’ economic policies will favor the wealthy, vs. only 21 percent of them who said the same about Trump. (Forty percent say that about congressional Republicans.) A total of 77 percent of Obama-Trump voters said Trump’s policies will favor some mix of all other classes (middle class, poor, all equally), while a total of 58 percent said that about congressional Democrats.

I think the vote against Hillary was pretty obvious, but surprised so many viewed Republican economic policies more favorable than Democratic.  Seems that view made a huge difference.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2017, 02:36:06 PM »
Well, they are flat wrong about which economic groups will benefit from Trump's policies vs. Democratic policies.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2017, 02:41:18 PM »
Well, they are flat wrong about which economic groups will benefit from Trump's policies vs. Democratic policies.

Continue please with information to back such a statement up since our economy is currently in a boom starting the day Trump won.  I have no idea who who is right or wrong and only posed information as to why people voted the way they did.  I personally prefer republican economics (generally), but I'm interested why all those people and myself are "flat wrong"

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2017, 02:49:32 PM »
Some research from Democrats about why people in Michigan and Wisconsin swung from Obama to Trump

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/blogs/plum-line/wp/2017/05/01/why-did-trump-win-new-research-by-democrats-offers-a-worrisome-answer/
The poll found that Obama-Trump voters, many of whom are working-class whites and were pivotal to Trump’s victory, are economically losing ground and are skeptical of Democratic solutions to their problems. Among the findings:

50 percent of Obama-Trump voters said their incomes are falling behind the cost of living, and another 31 percent said their incomes are merely keeping pace with the cost of living.
A sizable chunk of Obama-Trump voters — 30 percent — said their vote for Trump was more a vote against Clinton than a vote for Trump. Remember, these voters backed Obama four years earlier.
42 percent of Obama-Trump voters said congressional Democrats’ economic policies will favor the wealthy, vs. only 21 percent of them who said the same about Trump. (Forty percent say that about congressional Republicans.) A total of 77 percent of Obama-Trump voters said Trump’s policies will favor some mix of all other classes (middle class, poor, all equally), while a total of 58 percent said that about congressional Democrats.

I think the vote against Hillary was pretty obvious, but surprised so many viewed Republican economic policies more favorable than Democratic.  Seems that view made a huge difference.

I still think it's kind messed up that those few specific voters in those few specific counties got to decide the whole election. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2017, 03:00:55 PM »

Continue please with information to back such a statement up since our economy is currently in a boom starting the day Trump won.  I have no idea who who is right or wrong and only posed information as to why people voted the way they did.  I personally prefer republican economics (generally), but I'm interested why all those people and myself are "flat wrong"
None of his policies are really in place yet.

His tax plan (and "plan" is a generous term) is definitely going to benefit the rich.  The healthcare fiasco is going to negatively affect the poor and sick, and will greatly benefit the rich.  Republican economic policies generally revolve around the myth of trickle-down economics.

Trump has shown no signs whatsoever of having an ounce of empathy for anyone who isn't named "Trump". 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2017, 03:22:26 PM »
I agree with that last statement (although it has nothing to do with this) and I also think his healthcare plan was pretty poor (which also doesn't relate much to the poll), but just because his tax plan (which I haven't really looked at honestly) benefits the rich, which I whole heartedly believe it will, doesn't mean it also doesn't benefit the poor or middle class.

Regardless of his policies being in place, the economy is very strong at the moment and from my understanding it's due to confidence in Trump (stocks are still going up since the day he won, I just looked at NYE, Nasdaq and Dow 30 from November 8th till today).  Which may not relate to republican economics per say, but it's a far stretch from saying the people in Michigan and Wisconsing were flat wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2017, 04:16:29 PM »

The Civil War did not start as a war for or against Slavery. Again, the Democrats are playing The Race Card and I think that sucks.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2017, 07:46:26 PM »

The Civil War did not start as a war for or against Slavery. Again, the Democrats are playing The Race Card and I think that sucks.
If by "playing the race card" you mean "accurately and factually reporting the reasons for the Civil War" then, yes I agree, it sucks that people have to constantly fight against the revisionism history endemic in the south.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 09:31:59 PM »

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2017, 07:17:10 AM »

None of his policies are really in place yet.

His tax plan (and "plan" is a generous term) is definitely going to benefit the rich.  The healthcare fiasco is going to negatively affect the poor and sick, and will greatly benefit the rich.  Republican economic policies generally revolve around the myth of trickle-down economics.

Trump has shown no signs whatsoever of having an ounce of empathy for anyone who isn't named "Trump".

As cram said, the market seems to be reacting in confidence to his proposed plans, regardless of whether or not all those plans have been worked out or implemented, so the fact that they aren't in place yet doesn't mean those ideas and concepts aren't driving the market in a certain way.

His tax plan does seem to benefit the rich, is there something wrong with that? It also, as proposed now, would benefit me, a middle-class worker. Is that bad too? I agree that he and his administration haven't handled healthcare well, but in their defense, the sitting members of the GOP had years to develop a better plan and didn't or couldn't.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2017, 08:05:23 AM »
Yeah, it's bad, since he has no idea how to pay for the cuts, and they will therefore add TRILLIONS to the debt.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2017, 08:11:09 AM »

It was started as a war for slavery, for sure. 

The Confederacy started the war by attacking Fort Sumter.  The Confederacy only existed because the Southern states seceded because they wanted to keep slavery and thought Lincoln would try to take it away.

It was slavery.  Slavery is what the South's economy was built on.  Slavery is the reason the moron Southern states seceded.  Slavery is the reason the Confederacy was formed.  Slavery is the reason those morons started the war.

I am proud to be from the South, but I am in no way proud of the Confederate history or any of that "Old South" shit, because it was evil as fuck and built on the backs of slaves, and romanticizing it or coming up with revisionist history about it to make ourselves feel better about it is for the fucking birds.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2017, 08:32:27 AM »
Yeah, it's bad, since he has no idea how to pay for the cuts, and they will therefore add TRILLIONS to the debt.

Cause we haven't been adding trillions to the debt in the last eight years?

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2017, 08:42:51 AM »
Well, wait a minute.  At post #25, the tax plan is bad because it benefits the rich.  Then that was questioned, and at post #31, it is bad because it adds trillions to the debt. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."