Author Topic: Non-Dream Theater Bootleg Collectors  (Read 2034 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Non-Dream Theater Bootleg Collectors
« on: April 30, 2017, 10:41:10 AM »
I know we have our Dream Theater bootleg area, but I wanted to get a generic bootleg discussion going. So, besides DT, what musical artists do you like to collect bootlegs of? I'm thinking about mine at the moment. There aren't too many bands for me because the ones I do actually collect have a ridiculous number of years touring (Pink Floyd, Rush, etc).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Non-Dream Theater Bootleg Collectors
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 07:45:33 AM »
This is a great topic, because for me, it's exceedingly frustrating.  I like hearing shows I've been to (or are from my area) but I rarely "get them" (by download, or otherwise).  I will occasionally resort to boots for tracks that artist haven't/don't want/refuse to release (I'm looking at you, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, and Ozzy Osbourne!).   Cheap Trick was another, though the recent "Epic Years" download only release covered most of that (CDs please!).   

But I get pissed when I see obvious boots on sale on eBay for upwards of $50.  That's criminal if you ask me.   I try to be fair - if someone has a boot I like/want, I offer blanks or something similar, but I think it's really a dick move to charge for something that you don't technically have the rights to sell (and no, I'm not buying the "you're paying for the ACTUAL CD - not the content on it - case, and unique artwork"; fine; I'll give you the $0.62 that it ACTUALLY cost you then.). 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 08:01:44 AM »
I used to collect Iron Maiden bootlegs, still have a bunch buried on my PC somewhere.  Mostly of 80s and 90s stuff that never got released on CD, such as the Somewhere in Time Tour.  But I really have little interest in collecting bootlegs anymore.  I just don't listen to them and it's not worth the time to find them if I don't listen to them.  But also, youtube has become a way to find old concerts and new footage is plentiful.  I guess one could argue that I am my own bootlegger for recording songs at concerts and putting them on youtube, but I never do a full show nor do I do anything to make the audio better or use good equipment.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 08:05:37 AM »
I spent more than a decade acquiring original lineup Queensryche shows (audio). I think it is probably still the most thorough collection in existence out there of that particular time period (1981-1997). I also collected video bootlegs of that lineup as well (although big, it is not the largest). I traded all of it out for years, but don't trade or even collect any longer. I listen to the highlight shows from each tour cycle throughout each year at some point.

Over the years, I collected Dream Theater and many other bands, but whittled it down to just shows I have gone to (which made for cool keepsakes). But I stopped taping/collecting/trading six or seven years back. Just too busy and not enough interest.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 08:27:00 AM »
I've been collecting audio and video boots for almost 10 years.  I was heavy into it until I was laid off in 2014 and life got real serious.  I picked up again once I was working, just not like I was.  I developed a website to catalog everything I have (https://www.blackenedtrading/net). 

Aside from DT, my main bands are Metallica (mostly video), Rush, Zeppelin (mostly audio) and KISS.  I also love getting boots of shows I've personally been to.  I have about several hundred Rush and Zeppelin audio boots that haven't even made it to my site that I got from a bootleg vine that was sending around a 4GB harddrive loaded with shows.  If I had a week of no job, no wife and no parenting, I might be able to get my site totally current.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 08:45:13 AM »
Keeping track of it all is such a PITA, to be honest. When I was full-on collecting, maintaining lists with all the different versions/sources, quality grades, all of that crap really just got to be a time suck. It sort of pushed me out the door. In addition, with technology changing to make recording easier, but at questionable quality levels, it made it 1000x harder, which really was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 08:59:14 AM »
I agree with the "time suck" comment.  That's a main reason I'm not as all-in as i used to be.  I'm way pickier now because I just don't have the time.  If I see something that really interests me, I'll grab it.  Plus, how much time do I really have to listen to or watch these things?!?  Maybe one day, when I'm old and retired, I can sit back and watch or listen to a different show each day.

One good thing is that, these days, there are a few tapers/filmers so known by name that when you see their names, you know you're getting quality.  I'll go out of my way to check out an audio or video recording from people like Tapehead2 (did a Waters Chicago show in 2010 that's phenomenal).

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 09:21:08 AM »
I agree with the "time suck" comment.  That's a main reason I'm not as all-in as i used to be.  I'm way pickier now because I just don't have the time.  If I see something that really interests me, I'll grab it.  Plus, how much time do I really have to listen to or watch these things?!?  Maybe one day, when I'm old and retired, I can sit back and watch or listen to a different show each day.

I totally hear ya. I mean honestly, I have listened to bootlegs from other bands that I have (non original lineup Queensryche) maybe a dozen times over the last 10 years. They just sit there. There is SO MUCH music out there these days, I just don't have the time to do it.

One good thing is that, these days, there are a few tapers/filmers so known by name that when you see their names, you know you're getting quality.  I'll go out of my way to check out an audio or video recording from people like Tapehead2 (did a Waters Chicago show in 2010 that's phenomenal).

Absolutely. There are still a few that I pay attention to because of that for sure. But even with them, I'll check it out once, shelve it, and never go back, just because of the flood of music out there. I applaud those folks that are still out there collecting, listening, taping, and making live music recording and archiving a priority. I gave a good decade-plus of my life to it, but that's all I could muster given all the reasons above.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 10:02:00 AM »
This is a great topic, because for me, it's exceedingly frustrating.  I like hearing shows I've been to (or are from my area) but I rarely "get them" (by download, or otherwise).  I will occasionally resort to boots for tracks that artist haven't/don't want/refuse to release (I'm looking at you, Peter Gabriel, Phil Collins, and Ozzy Osbourne!).   Cheap Trick was another, though the recent "Epic Years" download only release covered most of that (CDs please!).   

But I get pissed when I see obvious boots on sale on eBay for upwards of $50.  That's criminal if you ask me.   I try to be fair - if someone has a boot I like/want, I offer blanks or something similar, but I think it's really a dick move to charge for something that you don't technically have the rights to sell (and no, I'm not buying the "you're paying for the ACTUAL CD - not the content on it - case, and unique artwork"; fine; I'll give you the $0.62 that it ACTUALLY cost you then.). 

You should check on Dime. They have an excellent selection of bootlegs.

I used to collect Iron Maiden bootlegs, still have a bunch buried on my PC somewhere.  Mostly of 80s and 90s stuff that never got released on CD, such as the Somewhere in Time Tour.  But I really have little interest in collecting bootlegs anymore.  I just don't listen to them and it's not worth the time to find them if I don't listen to them.  But also, youtube has become a way to find old concerts and new footage is plentiful.  I guess one could argue that I am my own bootlegger for recording songs at concerts and putting them on youtube, but I never do a full show nor do I do anything to make the audio better or use good equipment.

As big of a Maiden fan I used to be, I never got into collecting their bootlegs. I used to like listening to my friend's collection of Maiden singles and b-sides. Some interesting tracks there.

I spent more than a decade acquiring original lineup Queensryche shows (audio). I think it is probably still the most thorough collection in existence out there of that particular time period (1981-1997). I also collected video bootlegs of that lineup as well (although big, it is not the largest). I traded all of it out for years, but don't trade or even collect any longer. I listen to the highlight shows from each tour cycle throughout each year at some point.

Over the years, I collected Dream Theater and many other bands, but whittled it down to just shows I have gone to (which made for cool keepsakes). But I stopped taping/collecting/trading six or seven years back. Just too busy and not enough interest.

I think we all eventually get to a point where we don't have the time and either we become completely OCD about it or we have to back away slowly. I had over a thousand DT bootlegs at one point.

I've been collecting audio and video boots for almost 10 years.  I was heavy into it until I was laid off in 2014 and life got real serious.  I picked up again once I was working, just not like I was.  I developed a website to catalog everything I have (https://www.blackenedtrading/net). 

Aside from DT, my main bands are Metallica (mostly video), Rush, Zeppelin (mostly audio) and KISS.  I also love getting boots of shows I've personally been to.  I have about several hundred Rush and Zeppelin audio boots that haven't even made it to my site that I got from a bootleg vine that was sending around a 4GB harddrive loaded with shows.  If I had a week of no job, no wife and no parenting, I might be able to get my site totally current.

I know you, obviously. Since you mentioned Rush, and they have a ridiculous amount of shows, what would you say are some of the best boots to get? Audio and video?

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 10:16:39 AM »
I know you, obviously. Since you mentioned Rush, and they have a ridiculous amount of shows, what would you say are some of the best boots to get? Audio and video?
It's tough to say.  Not trying to not answer.  But, different people look for different things - eras, setlists, etc.  Personally, even though it's not Rush in their prime, the Time Machine and 30th Anniversary shows are fantastic.  https://www.digitalrushexperience.com/database/dbhome.php is a great reference tool.  Although I don't really care for the album they were touring, Atlanta June 13, 2007 ("Tastes Like Chicken") is a really good video.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 10:23:41 AM »
I've heard that title before - Tastes Like Chicken. It might have been on Dime at some point. You don't forget a title like that. :lol  I'll check out that link and the tours you mentioned, thanks.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 01:59:28 PM »
For me, I primarily collect DT bootlegs - I'm actually trying to get copies of every show that's been bootlegged (tho I have a looooong way to go), and I am slowly making my way through listening to every single show, although not necessarily every recording since I do have some duplicates.

Aside from that, the only other band that I make a point to collect a bunch of their shows is Riverside, and even then, I haven't gotten around to listening to most of the ones I've collected...yet. Big reason why I do so for both DT and Riverside is because of the differences between the studio recordings and live performances, and that the shows/performances vary from show to show.

It's for that same reason (or rather lack thereof) that while I collect bootlegs of some other bands, I'm pretty happy with getting one or two great sounding boots per tour, rather than trying to collect a huge number. Bands like Rush and Queensryche, and even with Rush, I haven't bothered collecting any bootlegs since 2002 because they've put out an official release for each tour and with QR's lack of variety in their setlists, I haven't bothered grabbing anything since the first few shows with Todd.

In all cases, I focus just on audio bootlegs, unless there are video-only bootlegs of some DT shows. I just don't have the time to even sit down and watch official live releases from these bands, so why would I want to collect a bunch of questionably shot bootlegs? At least with audio recordings, I can do stuff while listening to them.

As for keeping track of everything I've collected, I try to keep it simple - I don't waste time with grading the recording (which is all based on personal opinion) - I just keep a basic list with the date, title (if there is one) and if there's any issues I'm aware of with the recording (missing parts of songs, etc)

The one thing that's nice these days, besides the fact that there's much better equipment for recording/capturing concerts is the fact that harddrives are so much cheaper and higher capacity. No need for keeping huge amounts of blank CDs for burning any longer.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 08:20:53 PM »
How's that list on GDT coming along? I thought about making a spreadsheet of every DT show. Using MP's site (for most of it anyway) is great. As far as tracking all of the bootlegs I used to have a copy of Borlag's list, which was the biggest I had come across at that point. I don't know what I did with it.

I actually started to not only list the show and show information but also the setlist. That became far too much so it's just the basic information now. Title, date, location, format, source, and any additional notes, like if a song was cut off or something.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 08:15:58 AM »
Anyone else hate titles for bootlegs?  I know there are some legerndary ones - Led Zeppelin's "Destroyer", Deep Purple's "On The Wings of a Russian Foxbat" - but honestly, I'd rather have the city and date.   "Tastes Like Chicken" is, to me, just stupid and dumb and tells me nothing.  How about "DT Philly 07-31-2009"?

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 08:52:02 AM »
Anyone else hate titles for bootlegs?  I know there are some legerndary ones - Led Zeppelin's "Destroyer", Deep Purple's "On The Wings of a Russian Foxbat" - but honestly, I'd rather have the city and date.   "Tastes Like Chicken" is, to me, just stupid and dumb and tells me nothing.  How about "DT Philly 07-31-2009"?
I agree with you for the most part.  Name and date.  Keep it simple.  If I remember correctly, this was the tour where Rush's stage props included large rotisserie ovens filled with chicken.  I think there are multiple boots with chicken and rotisserie references.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 09:32:33 AM »
I actually have a Non-DT Bootleg question for anyone who would know...

Are there Styx bootlegs out there? I'm a huge Styx fan, and would love the opportunity to hear them play in their prime. It's actually kind of ridiculous that there was no official live album from them until they essentially broke up (and the Kilroy tour was not their prime). Nothing from The Grand Illusion tour when they were still playing "Born For Adventure" and "Midnight Ride" from Equinox. Nothing from the Cornerstone tour when they were opening with "Borrowed Time." Hell, I wanna hear stuff from the Edge of the Century tour when Glen Burtnick was singing Tommy songs and they were playing "All in a Day's Work." Basically I want to hear the songs that they'll never play live today, or released on a live album.

Any information on this band would be much appreciated.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 10:01:03 AM »

Are there Styx bootlegs out there? I'm a huge Styx fan, and would love the opportunity to hear them play in their prime. It's actually kind of ridiculous that there was no official live album from them until they essentially broke up (and the Kilroy tour was not their prime). Nothing from The Grand Illusion tour when they were still playing "Born For Adventure" and "Midnight Ride" from Equinox. Nothing from the Cornerstone tour when they were opening with "Borrowed Time." Hell, I wanna hear stuff from the Edge of the Century tour when Glen Burtnick was singing Tommy songs and they were playing "All in a Day's Work." Basically I want to hear the songs that they'll never play live today, or released on a live album.

The site mentioned earlier, Dimeadozen, has a few 70's and early 80's era Styx shows to go along with the 2015-2017 shows.  "Midnight Ride" is on one or two of them.  However, I didn't see the other songs you mentioned.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 10:39:07 AM »

The site mentioned earlier, Dimeadozen, has a few 70's and early 80's era Styx shows to go along with the 2015-2017 shows.  "Midnight Ride" is on one or two of them.  However, I didn't see the other songs you mentioned.

Good to know. I've never had luck with Dime, but I might figure it out one day, haha.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 11:23:52 AM »
Dime is a must Kev.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 12:25:51 PM »
Dime is a must Kev.

I really must get over my silly Dime fears lol
WELP.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2017, 12:36:59 PM »
Dime is literally a goldmine. But it's not just the shows. It's all of the comments and musical history that I find interesting. I'll browse Dime just to read stuff or look at setlists from classic tours.

It's not difficult. If I could figure it out, you should be able to.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 03:21:45 PM »
I agree with you for the most part.  Name and date.  Keep it simple.  If I remember correctly, this was the tour where Rush's stage props included large rotisserie ovens filled with chicken.  I think there are multiple boots with chicken and rotisserie references.
I'm all for just a date and city, but it doesn't bother me much at all. Keep in mind that in some cases there are multiple sources for the same show, and/or different versions of the same source (perhaps EQ'ed differently, edited, etc.). So while I would never list the boots I have according to the name they've been given, it can be an additional help to know which version of the show that you have.

And sometimes giving them bootleg names can be kinda fun - I'm the one responsible for the names "Surrender to the Secret" (altho an "s" was added to the end of Secret) and "Beneath the Blackened Summer Sky". Both obviously come from lyrics on IaW, but I think they're pretty good names, and the latter is perfect as a live release name. I haven't bothered naming bootlegs for a long time, but even if the names are silly some times, the artwork created for them can be great - my personal favorite is "No Cookies For You".
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 08:10:04 PM »

Dime is a must Kev.

I really must get over my silly Dime fears lol

If you need help, shoot me a message. It's not as intimidating as you think.

There's always something on there that makes you go, "Wow, I MUST have that."  Like yesterday, I saw an Anathema bootleg from 1995. And actually, the shows from last year's tour have most of the new album on them. So, it's all good.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2017, 07:40:59 AM »
I'm all for just a date and city, but it doesn't bother me much at all. Keep in mind that in some cases there are multiple sources for the same show, and/or different versions of the same source (perhaps EQ'ed differently, edited, etc.). So while I would never list the boots I have according to the name they've been given, it can be an additional help to know which version of the show that you have.

And sometimes giving them bootleg names can be kinda fun - I'm the one responsible for the names "Surrender to the Secret" (altho an "s" was added to the end of Secret) and "Beneath the Blackened Summer Sky". Both obviously come from lyrics on IaW, but I think they're pretty good names, and the latter is perfect as a live release name. I haven't bothered naming bootlegs for a long time, but even if the names are silly some times, the artwork created for them can be great - my personal favorite is "No Cookies For You".

No, no, I get that (the different versions point, and the "fun" of naming them point) and I'm being a shade facetious...  but - and this is going to be a hard point to make, but I think you'll get it - bands have an ethos, or a sort of image.   You hear a title like "Girls on Fire!" and you're not thinking "Dream Theater" or "Rush".   You hear a title like "The Count of Tuscany" and you're not thinking "Zeppelin" or "Van Halen".   So you get it; your titles are sort of in keeping with the image and the presence of DT.   "Destroyer" (as noted above) is a legendary title for a Zeppelin bootleg.   But - and I get it with a band like Rush, who's sense of humor is so at odds with their image and their output (there's nothing slapstick funny about "Natural Science" or "Xanadu" - I don't like it when the arbitrary third party title is so at odds with the band itself.  To me, "Tastes Like Chicken" is a title of a new Primus album, not a show on Rush's latest epic tour.   I'm being petty here, I know. Anyway, back to our programming...

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2017, 05:49:52 PM »
I know we have our Dream Theater bootleg area, but I wanted to get a generic bootleg discussion going. So, besides DT, what musical artists do you like to collect bootlegs of? I'm thinking about mine at the moment. There aren't too many bands for me because the ones I do actually collect have a ridiculous number of years touring (Pink Floyd, Rush, etc).

Rush far and away the most. Then Fish, Marillion, Neal Spock's Beards

Generally don't bother with anyone else though I do have a handful of other bands.

Have enough trouble finding the time to listen to just that.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2017, 08:29:22 PM »
How many Neal-era Spock's boots do you have?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2017, 07:28:22 PM »
How many Neal-era Spock's boots do you have?

Just a handful.  Some are the official bootlegs and most of the others are from Europe, but I think I've got one or two from the US. I'm sure there are more out there, but my interest in their bootlegs kind of waned after Neal left.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2017, 06:13:30 AM »
I empathize with that. I don't even think I've listened to all of their post-Neal albums. It's just not the same.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2017, 12:09:45 AM »
Just Blur and Warpaint for me.  I like doing compilations of the best live performances.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2017, 02:27:44 PM »
I empathize with that. I don't even think I've listened to all of their post-Neal albums. It's just not the same.

I enjoy post-Neal Beard (though not to that level), but I don't think they got their footing back until the self-titled album. I really enjoy them from the self-titled album onward.