Author Topic: Over Rated Guitar Solos  (Read 6894 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Over Rated Guitar Solos
« on: April 30, 2017, 09:04:31 AM »
Post here any of the "must hear" guitar solos of all time that you find over rated...

OR

Any guitar solo in a song that makes you go wtf was that ?!

For me - pretty much any Kerry King or Jeff Henneman solo are just mindless wankery with no tonal centre.

Also - not saying it sucks or anything but the Under A Glass Moon solo has never done anything for me. Prefer the As I Am solo personally.

Offline Architeuthis

Re: Over Rated Guitar Solos
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 12:49:51 PM »
To the contrary, Under a Glass Moon solo is incredible. It goes through my head alot.
As far as overrated, alot of Zepplin solos fall into that category.  :flame:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 02:23:23 PM »
Despite me being a huge Metallica fan, I'm gonna have to vote One. It's often regarded as their best guitar solo, but I can name four that are better on ...And Justice For All alone. Kirk has written some brilliant solos (Ride the Lightning, Fade to Black, and The Unforgiven chief among them) but for some reason, One gets most of the attention for some reason.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 02:49:45 PM »
I think my favourite Metallica solo by Kirk at least is the fast one in the second half of Master Of Puppets.

Just for the way it klcks off with the legato run and then the tremelo picked descending scale with that pull off at the end of it.

The way it builds tension in the second half over the chords and builds to a climax is pretty amazing.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 03:09:45 PM »
Freyed Ends of Sanity is my fav solo from AJFA..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2017, 03:52:18 PM »
UAGM technically is brilliant.

Anything by the likes of Angus Young, Slash or Kirk fits here.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2017, 04:16:24 PM »
We're using a peculiar definition of overrated here that I'm not familiar with. Nobody has ever accused Kirk, Kerry King or Angus of playing great solos.

I never got all the love for the Aqualung solo. It's wonderfully melodic, and live it takes on a different life as it progresses, but the studio version of it never seemed like one of the greats, which many consider it to be.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2017, 04:26:09 PM »
We're using a peculiar definition of overrated here that I'm not familiar with. Nobody has ever accused Kirk,  of playing great solos.

Eh ??  A lot of Master of puppets and Ride The Lightning & Metallica have good solos.

From Load onwards he went more or less exclusively bluesy & pentatonic based.

Also in my OP I said post any over rated solo or just any solo you thought was dire.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2017, 05:54:42 PM »
The best solo in One is the first one (around 3:10-ish).

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 02:33:05 AM »
We're using a peculiar definition of overrated here that I'm not familiar with. Nobody has ever accused Kirk, Kerry King or Angus of playing great solos.

Has anyone ever accused Kerry of even playing a good solo? I listened to quite a lot of Slayer back in the day and I'm not aware of a single memorable solo either him or Jeff wrote, and in my experience they've always been regarded as bad soloists. Maybe something's changed in the last 10 years...

As far as Kirk's One solo goes, it's probably a case of conflating a great song with a solo that's appropriate with a great solo. Plus, Kirk did write a lot of good solos over the first 4 or 5 Metallica records. The well known flaws in his playing were always there, but his note choice and solo construction was very good back then. Hell, he still wrote some good stuff on TBA and Load/Reload here and there, but nothing on the last couple of records is worth a mention.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 07:05:23 AM »

For me - pretty much any Kerry King or Jeff Henneman solo are just mindless wankery with no tonal centre.

I've often heard Kerry King and Jeff Henneman solos referred to as the sound of turkeys fighting.

As far as overrated solos go, I'm going to come right out and say Layla. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 08:38:15 AM »
Octavarium, the outro solo.

I get why people like it, and it sounds like I'd love it, on paper. But I just find it mind-numbingly Boeing whenever I listen to it.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 09:13:56 AM »

I've often heard Kerry King and Jeff Henneman solos referred to as the sound of turkeys fighting.

Every time I hear a Slayer solo I get the song "Entrance of the Gladiators" running through my head.  For the uninitiated, "Entrance of the Gladiators" is the real name for the "circus theme" music you hear in cartoons.    They are a joke if you ask me. 

Overrated?  Tom Morello's solos.  I have two Audioslave CDs because I love Chris Cornell (I won't give RATM my money; sorry) and probably 70% of the solos start with some weird noise generated by rubbing a q-tip or a Preparation H tube against the pickups, followed by some whammy bar dive bombing (of aforementioned sound) and then some basic widdly widdly stuff that sounds like it came from Michael Angelo's instruction tapes. 

Honestly?  As much as I love them, Judas Priest.   For a while they had liner notes of "KK- First solo; Glenn - Second solo; KK - Outro solo" and what not, and I was like "what's the point of that?".    They're both technically very good, but nothing that grabs me like a Dave Murray solo. 

And if you said "Stadler, there's a thread called "Over Rated Guitar Solos", give you a dollar if you can guess who started it!", I would have won a dollar!  :)    (Just bustin' Kotowboy; you know I'm with you on this.)

Offline romdrums

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2017, 02:02:40 PM »

Overrated?  Tom Morello's solos.  I have two Audioslave CDs because I love Chris Cornell (I won't give RATM my money; sorry) and probably 70% of the solos start with some weird noise generated by rubbing a q-tip or a Preparation H tube against the pickups, followed by some whammy bar dive bombing (of aforementioned sound) and then some basic widdly widdly stuff that sounds like it came from Michael Angelo's instruction tapes. 

Haha!! So true.  :tup :tup
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 02:06:33 PM »
Just curious. Has anyone, ever, said, "Wow, that Morello solo really moved me and gave me the chills." I mean, don't you need to be rated highly prior to being overrated?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2017, 02:06:54 PM »

I love you.  :heart

People worship Tom Morello for his FX smothered wankery and take the piss out of The Edge for his completely playing for the song melodic FX smothered solos.

But it's cool to hate U2 so....

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2017, 02:25:33 PM »

I get why people like it, and it sounds like I'd love it, on paper. But I just find it mind-numbingly Boeing whenever I listen to it.

Yeah, it just never really takes off.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2017, 02:28:14 PM »

Like it's JP on auto-pilot, if you will.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2017, 02:50:32 PM »
There is a tapping section in Joe Satriani's "Always With Me, Always With You" that people always seem to cheer for when he plays it. Never got it, it's really simple and rather pedestrian IMO.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2017, 03:30:25 PM »

You're all high.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2017, 03:33:42 PM »

You're all high.

I actually find it to have a lot of lift.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2017, 03:39:04 PM »
You guys are crazy, the outro solo is excellent. In fact, the fact that JP restrains himself for the whole time totally works in its favor.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 03:42:39 PM »
Bingo.   It bleeds emotion.  I love when a guitarist doesn't stick to one style of soloing. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 03:45:35 PM »
The guitar solo in Ride the Lightning by Metallica. Pretty much a 'classic' metal guitar solo, especially for the arpeggio part at the end and while it may have been quite groundbreaking at the time* (for a metal song perhaps), by modern standards it's a pretty laughable guitar solo.

*(was it though? I wasn't around back then, but you had the likes of Eddie van Halen & Michael Schenker and later on Yngwie Malmsteen & Nuno Bettencourt who could play circles around Kirk Hammett)

The unison in Afterlife by Dream Theater. Basically a rehash of the Ride the Lightning trick, but slightly altered to make it a little more interesting. Petrucci has so many better solos.

The rehash of the verse melody in Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana. Yeah, I know it fits the song. It works really well in fact. Does that make it good solo? I don't think so.

Led Zeppelin's Heartbreaker. It's sloppy, badly edited in and completely random wankery with no relation to the rest of the song. What the hell man. Sorry for offending people with this pick :lol

... and there's probably more, but those are the first couple I could think of.

---

Regarding Slayer; I'm not a fan of their music, but the 'solos' (if you can even call them that) are strangely fitting. Hearing perfectly played melodic lines in their songs wouldn't really make sense with the rest of the music.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 04:00:01 PM »
Honestly?  As much as I love them, Judas Priest.   For a while they had liner notes of "KK- First solo; Glenn - Second solo; KK - Outro solo" and what not, and I was like "what's the point of that?".    They're both technically very good, but nothing that grabs me like a Dave Murray solo. 

As a guitarist, I always loved solo credits in albums, I feel they deserve to be there.  And I can't agree with saying Tipton is overrated.  Some of the stuff he comes up with is incredible and honestly would leave Smith and Murray scratching their heads.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2017, 05:03:10 PM »
You guys are crazy, the outro solo is excellent. In fact, the fact that JP restrains himself for the whole time totally works in its favor.

I was just poking fun at 'Boeing;' I think the solo is pretty good. I do think the end of Intervals would have been a better climax for the song, though.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2017, 05:43:48 PM »
Just curious. Has anyone, ever, said, "Wow, that Morello solo really moved me and gave me the chills." I mean, don't you need to be rated highly prior to being overrated?
Yeah, maybe I hang out with the wrong crowd, but I've never heard anyone praise his solos too much. He is (or was) innovative, and people give him credit, but for a specific solo? Not really. But as I've said before, his best solo is "I Am the Highway," which doesn't follow the typical Morello formula that Stadler described at all.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2017, 05:45:47 PM »
I love his solo on Like A Stone.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2017, 10:17:37 PM »
There is a tapping section in Joe Satriani's "Always With Me, Always With You" that people always seem to cheer for when he plays it. Never got it, it's really simple and rather pedestrian IMO.

The beauty of that section is not about complexity of technique. It's about how such a section sort of comes out of nowhere in the middle of a slow melodic guitar ballad but Sach made it work.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2017, 11:10:19 PM »

Nah, the Hollow Years solo from Budokan is far more overrated. 

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2017, 12:13:44 AM »

Nah, the Hollow Years solo from Budokan is far more overrated.

For me, the most overrated Dream Theater solo is the extended instrumental section of Beyond this Life from Budokan.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2017, 12:15:24 AM »
Fuckin autocorrect, man. :D

I agree that restraint often works in the favour of solos, Another World being a great example. I just happen to think that it falls flat on Razor's Edge, which is just so damn underwhelming after the intensity of Intervals.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2017, 12:24:42 AM »

The beauty of that section is not about complexity of technique. It's about how such a section sort of comes out of nowhere in the middle of a slow melodic guitar ballad but Sach made it work.

I kind of have to agree with Rumbo.  It's one of my least favourite section of the whole song.  I don't find it as amazing as most others do.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2017, 12:31:56 AM »
To me the solo on The Razors Edge is the most climatic part of the song. It has so much melody and heart to it, in the same league as Comfortably Numb. I think JP tapped into some genious on that one
and it ends the song just perfect. The guitar really sings here..

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2017, 12:38:06 AM »
Yeah, Razors Edge is brilliant.