Author Topic: Stage Presence  (Read 1760 times)

Offline Architeuthis

Stage Presence
« on: April 27, 2017, 08:25:40 PM »
To the point, which bands do you think have the best stage presence? It doesn't necessarily have to be a band, but a individual performer or a band as a whole.
 My first thought is Geddy Lee. He is so well composed and is just,,, cool!
Any thoughts?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Stage Presence
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 08:30:53 PM »
Depends on the style of music. Different styles require vastly different stage shows.

Geddy Lee is amazing for his genre. If he were playing death metal, he'd look goofy as hell.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 08:45:00 PM »
For me stage presence essentially comes down to pulling me into the performance, that is that I'm part of it. That can be an engaging Freddie Mercury, or a goofy Michael Akerfeldt. I agree Geddy and Alex are great,as they made you feel you're sitting in their living room and they're playing for you.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 08:47:11 PM »
Freddie, Geddy and Alex are all great examples.

I would throw Bono into the mix. When he is performing, he owns the audience in such a way that it is hard to take your eyes off him.  Same for Matt Bellamy.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 09:38:36 PM »
Bruce is the best I've seen in my limited concert-going experience.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 09:49:07 PM »
Devin Townsend has amazing stage presence.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 10:01:55 PM »
Devin Townsend
Bruce Dickinson (all of Maiden really, but Bruce is in a class of his own).
Good call on Rush too.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 12:50:37 AM »
Bruce Dickinson is a great call,  Steve Harris is also right up there.  I always thought Mike Portnoy was a good showman too, fun to watch behind the kit.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 01:07:00 AM »
Iron Maiden, Bruce Dickinson especially, have an awesome stage presence.

There are also musicians who are so famous and have such charisma, that even them being there is enough for them to be "cool". Prime example of this, for me: Tony Iommi and Rob Halford. They can just stand there, and ooze badassery all around.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 01:10:56 AM »
James Hetfield immediately comes to mind. Mike Portnoy is pretty great as well.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 01:18:20 AM »
Yep classic James hetfield. Latter day Het just stands there. Understandable but there you go.

Bono of course.

Freddy Mercury

Troy Sanders.

Dave Grohl

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 01:56:40 AM »
Yep classic James hetfield. Latter day Het just stands there. Understandable but there you go.

James Hetfield can just stand there, and still ooze more stage presence than most people could ever hope to attain. :metal
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Art

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 05:30:55 AM »
Bruce, Steve and Maiden.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2017, 06:42:44 AM »
From the concerts I have seen:

Great stage presence

1. BTBAM (just incredible, I was sucked in)
2. Rammstein (holy fuck)
3. Coheed and cambria (real powerful and fun)
4. Iron maiden (oh baby)
5. NIN (were great)
6. Thrice ( a lot of energy and were really in to it)

Awful stage presence

1. Current day Maynard James keenan. I have heard all the arguments that he is trying to put the spotlight on the other 3 members. That's all well and good, but I paid over 100 bucks to see Tool, the whole band Tool, not just 3 members and a guy shrouded in the dark, tugged back near the drum kit phoning it in. (The other 3 are great to see though, no hate on them)

And I've seen his ass back in the day when he was up front and center. At the time he was my favorite singer and I would have listed him as one of the coolest and engaging front men out there, so its a shame to see this metamorphosis.

2. Radiohead ( i guess that comes with the territory, since the music is pretty mellow, but unfortunately i have to admit there wasn't much stage presence)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 07:03:46 AM »
Steven Tyler definitely, that man has an unbelievable aura.

Steve Vai is a very fun performer.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 07:11:24 AM »

James Hetfield can just stand there, and still ooze more stage presence than most people could ever hope to attain. :metal

I'm not even a Metallica fan really, but damn yeah. There is something imposing about him.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 07:39:21 AM »

I'm not even a Metallica fan really, but damn yeah. There is something imposing about him.

Agreed. But I will agree with Kotow that classic Het had the imposing thing more so than now, which is fine. James is very charismatic.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 09:41:10 AM »
Stevie Ray Vaughn (I've never seen someone "own" their instrument like he did; it was like a fourth arm to him)
Bono
Jimmy  Page
Bruce Dickinson
Eddie Vedder (as much as he annoys me)

But the three guys that just seemed to be born to be on stage:
Bruce
Mick
Paul

Offline Art

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 10:13:54 AM »
It's funny beacuse Bruce is a short guy, but onstage he is an absolute monster.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 10:45:03 AM »
Mike Orlando. That dude has a presence.

[edit] I kinda threw up in my mouth a little when I wrote the above. [/edit]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 12:29:27 PM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2017, 11:34:51 AM »
Best stage presence I've ever seen is Bruce Springsteen.  He owns the stage and the crowd.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2017, 11:40:05 AM »
Bono for me, 1983 & 85.  I fell into a trance and felt hypnotized. It was a religious experience seeing him live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2017, 11:43:49 AM »
Geoff Tate had a very commanding stage presence back in the day. I'd say from 1983-1995, and then again from 1999-2005 he was pretty amazing to watch. I think him being sick on most of the 1997 HITNF tour, it got away from him a bit. But he got it back later.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2017, 11:44:52 AM »
Geoff Tate had a very commanding stage presence back in the day. I'd say from 1983-1995, and then again from 1999-2005 he was pretty amazing to watch. I think him being sick on most of the 1997 HITNF tour, it got away from him a bit. But he got it back later.

I remember loving all of their stage presence seeing them open for Kiss on the Animalize tour.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2017, 12:52:05 PM »
I agree with BTBAM and have to add Russell Allen

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2017, 01:24:58 PM »
From my own experiences and my own view of stage presence.  I believe Bruce Dickinson talked about this in an interview once before and said (paraphrasing) "How do you make that guy in the last row of the arena feel like he is apart of the show? You make yourself bigger.  Raise your hands, move around the stage, make sure you are visible"  I think those are all important for stage presence, but the idea of making someone who isn't even interested in the music to feel like they are apart of the show.

Iron Maiden (and Bruce big time, but also Steve and Janick)
Devin Townsend
Less Than Jake (these guys know how to engage a crowd)
Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers
Mike Portnoy
Alice Cooper
Elize Ryd
Tobias Sammet
Gwar  :lol
Sammy Hagar
Brett Michaels

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 03:19:41 PM »
Alice Cooper definitively belongs in the "So badass just by standing there" category. I will see him the day after my birthday this November  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!