Author Topic: Mindfulness/meditation - do you do it?  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Cable

Mindfulness/meditation - do you do it?
« on: April 24, 2017, 06:47:51 PM »
This topic can border on P/R forum, but that is not the intent at all. This is meant to be secular, so please leave any religious talk out.

https://www.nytimes.com/column/meditation-for-real-life

So does anyone else practice it? Related practices are yoga and martial arts. I have been running a Mindfulness mental health group for awhile, it being part of a bigger whole. The more and more I keep my ears open, the more I hear about how widespread it is.
https://www.wbur.org/onpoint/2017/04/24/modern-meditation
---

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Mindfulness/meditation - do you do it?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 07:03:51 PM »
I knew you'd be the one to start a mindfulness thread. Haha.

I use it a lot with my clients. Mostly as a means of heightening awareness and keeping them in the present. Pretty helpful for anxiety.

I try to use it too, but I could do a lot more.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cable

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 07:20:37 PM »
I knew you'd be the one to start a mindfulness thread. Haha.

I use it a lot with my clients. Mostly as a means of heightening awareness and keeping them in the present. Pretty helpful for anxiety.

I try to use it too, but I could do a lot more.

Leave it to social work to bastardize psychological research.  ;)
---

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 07:32:19 PM »
I don't know if I would formally call it meditation, but I definitely "Reflect" on almost a daily basis. And its not formal, its not planned. Just when I have an opportunity to be in a quiet place, all by myself, I just think about my day, think about my life, think about things that have happened to me in the past and what I learned from those situations, think about decisions I've made and think about the future. I turn it all over in my head.

This is a way I found to help me to keep my life in balance, and keeps me pretty chill.

And then there are times where I just find a beautiful and peaceful place, such as the state park which is close by and just sit there by the creek and let myself go. Just lost in the sound of the stream, the singing of the birds and the rustling of the summer's breeze. No thinking at all, just savoring the moment. Lost in it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 07:38:10 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 07:37:17 PM »
I've been looking into it, but I have to say I never like those regimented ways of approaching things. For example, I like the idea behind yoga, I.e. meditative slow movement, but the whole "downward puking cow, sankanakabah" pulls me out of it. So, as a result I am rather just letting my body tell me what feels good and do that. At least to me, the simple act of doing something slow, pointless and good for me is great in its own right.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 07:58:25 PM »
I've been looking into it, but I have to say I never like those regimented ways of approaching things. For example, I like the idea behind yoga, I.e. meditative slow movement, but the whole "downward puking cow, sankanakabah" pulls me out of it. So, as a result I am rather just letting my body tell me what feels good and do that. At least to me, the simple act of doing something slow, pointless and good for me is great in its own right.

Yea, I'd just ignore all that stuff.

Honestly, one of my issues with linking mindfulness to meditation is the skewed version of meditation most Westerners tend to have. You don't have to be sitting peacefully in quiet dark room with dim candles and incense burning to meditate or engage in mindfulness. It can be an active thing, and you can engage in meditation or mindfulness in your daily lives.

One of the things I'm a big fan of, and seems to really help my clients is mindful eating/drinking. It's pretty simple. You just eat/drink very slowly and really pay a lot of attention to all of the sensations involved. Really focus on the tastes, textures, smells etc. It's simple but really keeps you focused and present.

You can go on mindful walks, where you just pay a lot of attention to what your body is experiencing when you walk. Looking at all of the sites, hearing all the sounds, paying attention to what your feet feel like, legs, etc. What does the temperature feel like on you? Is there a breeze?

There's tons of ways to include mindfulness in your life.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 08:22:08 PM »
Interestingly, rock climbing is very meditative ("be one with the rock"). Sometimes I will scrape myself and have no recollection of it because my whole mind was totally zoned out and doing only rock climbing.

Offline Cable

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 09:22:14 PM »
Exactly as Adami stated. And yup Rumborak, as a rock climber on hiatus myself it can totally be a mindful thing. The very nature of climbing is an elaborate, physically intense thing. Yet during some climbs, the draining aspect doesn't come until near the end of the days' climbing. Even the act of hiking to a rock face- as Adami said about noticing things as you walk. The more I think about it, the whole package of rock climbing can be mindful; camping, hiking, climbing & belaying, cleaning cams.

My group aide said it best once; many of us are kind of doing it already. We just do not draw attention to it, and are not fully aware of it. Despite me feeling the term mindfulness has cheapened more broad concepts, the term is used precisely for this, as in the traditional sense mindfulness is state of awareness. So just as what was already said, we can be mindful of pretty anything. Or mindfully do anything. I haven't seen any limits- so yeah, playing music. I analogize playing in the pocket, or maybe improvising, being in the moment and not caring about a mistake or anything.

That being said, traditional meditation is the more pure form of mindfulness IMO, and something that should be a goal for many. It simply focuses on breathing, which is the core thing that we to living vs. not.
---

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 10:01:11 PM »
I practice in my own way, it's a part of the program I'm in (see step 11). In early recovery my outpatient program taught us a ton of different meditative techniques, and I have taken a few of my favorites to put into use, mainly the brief ones (just a few minutes) that really help me right the ship so to speak. For me it works the same as turning off and on a computer, just starts everything over on even ground.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 05:06:52 AM »
This summer I want to go floating

Its a sensory deprivation chamber. The big egg closes so its totally dark and the water has salt in it so you float. Its totally quiet, so you are cut off from all eternal senses and 100% free to just think.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 05:58:50 AM »
While I understand it's not yoga, hiking, or rock climbing, I feel like I'm meditating when I'm at my bench working on my RC cars. With all the crap that comes with owning a house and the mental anguish I face sitting in a cubicle day in and day out, it's one of the few things that allows me to just block out the rest of the world and be in my own head for a bit. I have all these responsibilities and deliverables that consume the majority of my life, yet something as simple building an RC truck can put a hard stop to all of that. My favorite part about Victoria being a late sleeper and me being an early bird is that every Saturday morning I get 2-4 hours of just me time in my hobby room. It's incredibly relaxing and a great way to start the weekend after a shitty week in the office.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 11:22:22 AM »
Yoga and Tai Chi Chuan for me (tho not nearly enough); I focus on Scripture and my own breathing cadence.  I've noticed lately that I drop into my natural breathing cadence for Tai Chi during the work-day when it's quiet and I'm working on easier clients and scenarios.

Aside from the Spiritual benefits, I can also say that Yoga specifically has improved my athletic performance on the b-ball court, the golf course, and the rock (whenever I get a chance) or any other type of ascent I might embark on.

Cable's right... the whole of climbing (in any of it's forms) is meditative, and that feeling is addicting.  A good addiction. 

That sensory deprivation tank looks AWESOME... though I expect to see the Deacon burst out of that guy's chest at any second (watched Prometheus this weekend).
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Cable

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 07:01:19 PM »
I actually use sensory deprivation for a small portion of the group I run. Considering their environment is chaotic, 5 minutes with white noise and no lights is a big deal. And makes focusing easier for most. That said, I want to try one of those tanks one day! Just cannot do them for too long I have heard.
---

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 07:16:12 PM »
I do a bit of what Adami and rumborak described, and I find that it's benefit on mental and spiritual health is immeasurable.  It is essential, IMO.  Unfortunately, I find myself doing less and less in my latter years.  Part of it is just being busy rushing from one thing to the next.  Another part of it is that smart phones and the culture of multitasking, in my honest opinion, have created a form of almost ADD that kill any ability to meditate, and I am not kidding the least.  I need to get more focused again.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 08:26:28 PM »
bosk, truth on the smartphone right there. I have noticed that when I sit in a subway, I no longer just zone out and get lost in my own thoughts. These days, my immediate reaction is to grab my phone and stare at the screen. That stuff isn't good, and I'm really trying to work on that.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2017, 08:39:56 PM »
My wife has her zenith working in her 10 gardens.  It's about finding your own "place."
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline sylvan

• Alter Bridge Disciple
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2017, 06:56:49 AM »
This is literally the story of my adult life. I can't imagine who I would be without the time I've spent with MYSELF. On a regular basis, it's more about reflection. I get closer to meditation with my running. It can vary between reflection and deeper meditation. And depending on my mood, if I go without music there's more mindfulness, being aware of all things as opposed to dissociation when I'm rocking the fuck out.

Are any of you familiar with Wim Hof?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2017, 01:46:05 PM »
I used to practice meditation a lot a while back but since changing jobs and moving I haven't been keeping up with it. It does help me focus and I should really get back into it.