Author Topic: In a Metal Mood... the recommend lordxizor some metal thread (read first post!!)  (Read 2302 times)

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
So I've been in the mood for heavier stuff lately and am looking for some suggestions. Whether they're really metal or merely hard rock or whatever doesn't really matter to me so much. Please look at the info below before throwing things out. Thanks in advance.

What I like:
Vocalists with an rough edge to their voice
Limited screams/growls (25% or less)
Bands: Mastodon, Metallica, Baroness, Thrice, Coheed & Cambria

What I don't like:
Operatic vocals
Tons of screams/growls
Prominent keyboard sounds

Online faizoff

Check out some of the stone sour albums. Very hard rock/metal riff and also have a lot of melodic songs. If you've never heard any of them maybe start with Come what(ever) may.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Black Peaks - Statues seems like something you might like, to me they sound like they combine sounds from Mastodon, Tool, Hacride and Porcupine Tree among others, but it's quite hard to describe. Just some good prog rock/metal barring alternative at times as well as some (very limited though) core moments.

Pretty sure you are already a big fan but in case I remembered wrong: The Dear Hunter - either Act III or II since those have some of their heavier/more gritty sounding vocals in their discography.

Beardfish - The Void (I believe the only harsh vocals on this album are a few seconds on Voluntary Slavery, apart from that it's just some solid neo-classical ish prog metal)
Twelve Foot Ninja - Silent Machine (prog / alternative metal with gritty clean vocals)
Mandroid Echostar - Coral Throne (prog metal with vocals similar to Claudio from C&C)
Paradise Lost - The Plague Within (or) Faith Divides Us-Death Unites Us (heavy doom metal with thick guitar rhythms and gritty vocals)
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
Every Time I Die. You can thank me after your penis undergoes explosive permanent growth.  :tup

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Evergrey- recreation day     prog metal

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
Second the recommend for Beardfish The Void and Paradise Lost - The Plague Within.  :tup
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
TrVium - Silence In The Snow.

A nod to classic metal. No growls at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXJaBqQrKv4

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Intronaut - Habitual Levitations

their other albums have a decent bit of growly vox but this one is all cleans & it's good

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
TrVium - Silence In The Snow.

A nod to classic metal. No growls at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXJaBqQrKv4

I just now listened to this and really solid! 

For the original post -  try Redemption , Snowfall on Judgement Day. My avatar is the album cover.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Nevermore
Evergrey
Redemption
Iced Earth
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Thanks guys! Downloading all of this now to listen to at work tomorrow.

Keep them coming!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
The Ocean - Pelagial
Brand New - The Devil & God Are Raging Inside Me
Cursive - The Ugly Organ
Dissona - Paleopneumatic

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Clutch?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline SoundscapeMN

The House Harkonnen (band who are a bit like Motorhead or even Mastodon, that opened for Fair to Midland a few years ago).

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Pantera.

:metal

I'll have a look through my ipod a bit later tonight and recommend some sweet stuff.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Paradise Lost - The Plague Within (or) Faith Divides Us-Death Unites Us (heavy doom metal with thick guitar rhythms and gritty vocals)
Plague would probably be too growly for him, so I'd rather recommend Tragic Idol or Icon and Draconian Times from the 90s.

Offline SoundscapeMN

I would suggest some other bands like Vektor or Textures, but I wonder if you'd take to the vocals all that well.

Vektor though, don't really do all that much Cookie Monster/Death Metal vocals, but more piq-squeals, almost more in a Black Metal style. Because if you can handle those, the music might work. They make really tasteful yet epic progressive thrash metal.

And any of their last 3 records would suffice.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
How about Entombed? Like the later stuff, as their earlier stuff was full on death metal.

Also:

The Haunted
In Flames (from like Clayman onwards)
Orange Goblin
Testament (anything from the late 90's to present)
Volbeat

I'd second a lot of what has already been suggested as well, tons of good stuff flying about  :tup

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
High On Fire - Stoner/Doom Metal full of crunching, pummeling riffs. Try either Death Is This Communion or De Vermis Mysteriis
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Really fuzzy indie rock mixed with psychedelia. Imagine your typical indie rock vocals being sung through a rusty muffler underneath an onslaught of fuzzy, spacey guitars. I'll be honest, I just recently picked up one of their albums and haven't had a chance to thoroughly vet it, but it seems good enough and it's weird enough that it's worth checking out. Also, they can play some mean guitars. Check out Nonagon Infinity. They have another album that just came out but I haven't listened to anything off of it yet so can't quite recommend it.
Kylesa - Sludge metal mixed with psychedelia with a female vocalist. Not like Nightwish vocals, more punk infused. Spiral Shadows and Ultraviolet are my favorite albums by them and very, very good. The nice thing is, they are fairly short and to the point, clocking in at a round 40 minutes. They just rock and get the fuck out.
Machine Head - Groove/Thrash Metal. The Blackening or Unto The Locust are both pretty good places to start. Not a big fan of their other albums to be honest but those two are good
Pallbearer - Full on m-fing doom metal. The vocalist has a bit of a smoother voice, but not operatic at all. The music is low and ponderous doom, but more melodic and with a melancholic edge. Foundations of Burden, their last album, and their newest, Heartless, are both great.
The Sword - Very Sabbath-inspired stoner metal/hard rock. Their first three albums are all good, though the first two, Age of Winters and Gods of the Earth, are a bit repetitive at times, their third, Warp Riders is great. Whatever you do, avoid their latest album, High Country. It's wimpy and fairly unmemorable.
YOB - A weird mixture of post-metal, doom, psychedlic, sludge, and stoner metal. YMMV on this one and it all comes down to how much you like the vocalist, who is like a thrash metal version of 70's Geddy Lee, ie lots of wailing and screaming. If that's not your cup of tea, well then better skip this one, but if you're intrigued, give Clearing The Path To Ascend a listen. It was one of my favorites of 2014. Atma is also a good album as well.
Vhol - If you find YOB to be to your liking, then you might enjoy Vhol as well, since the same dude handles the vocals for both bands, though Vhol is more sludge mixed with thrash metal with some killer guitar work.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Pat Boone?

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
Pat Boone?
Glad someone got the reference. :)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
I second the King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard recommendation. I  already liked that Nanogon Infinity album but seeing them play live was way better. The production on their albums is a bit too lo-fi for my tastes. There are some excellent full concert videos up on YouTube.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Pat Boone?
Glad someone got the reference. :)

It was already on the red line, I just tapped it in.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
(alphabetical ish)

Anthrax (the last couple albums) youtube Anthrax - In The End will give you an idea of where they're at or Breathing Lightening if you need "now gratification"

Amon Amarth

Bless the Fall (vocals are a little highschool)

Bullet For My Valentine
Periphery
DGM - Reason

Non-Exist - Presence Everlasting

Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.