A Change Of Seasons
1 (2.4%)
Take The Time
0 (0%)
Fatal Tragedy
5 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: April 21, 2017, 08:36:45 PM

Author Topic: Dream Theater Survivor 2017 - The Finals - Round 18 (Whoa, we're halfway there!)  (Read 1118 times)

Online The Letter M

The Finals
Metropolis Part 1: The Miracle And The Sleeper
Learning To Live
Scarred
The Mirror
Trial Of Tears
Home
Finally Free
The Glass Prison
In The Name Of God
Octavarium
The Root Of All Evil
In The Presence Of Enemies
Breaking All Illusions
Bridges In The Sky
A Change Of Seasons
Take The Time
Fatal Tragedy

Round 17's Results:
The Mirror 2 (5.4%)
Trial Of Tears 4 (10.8%)
Finally Free 1 (2.7%)
The Glass Prison 1 (2.7%)
In The Name Of God 3 (8.1%)
Octavarium 2 (5.4%)
The Root Of All Evil 2 (5.4%)
In The Presence Of Enemies 7 (18.9%)
The Count Of Tuscany 11 (29.7%)
Take The Time 1 (2.7%)
Fatal Tragedy 3 (8.1%)

18. The Count Of Tuscany
19. Stream Of Consciousness
20. Disappear
21. The Ministry Of Lost Souls
22. Lines In The Sand
23. Illumination Theory
24. Moment Of Betrayal
25. Three Days
26. Surrender To Reason
27. A Nightmare To Remember
28. A Tempting Offer
29. A Life Left Behind
30. The Killing Hand
31. A Fortune In Lies
32. To Live Forever
33. A Vision
34. March Of The Tyrant

Seventeen rounds in, seventeen songs out, with the newest loser being the closing epic from the band's last album with Portnoy (and on his birthday, no less). Another epic bites the dust, but not without seeing more votes for ITPOE, ITNOG, and TOT pop up, so perhaps another epic is surely to follow as we cross the halfway mark of these finals!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Enemies
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jakepriest

Don't get the hate for Count. It's probably my favourite Rudess performance to date.
Fatal Tragedy doesn't deserve finals let alone top 18 imo.

Offline Mladen

In The Name Of God

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
Don't get the hate for Count.

Yeah, because a song ending up in 18th place out of much more than 100 songs... that just shows hatred for it.. ::)
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Guess I'll be voting for Scarred until the end of time.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline aprilethereal

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Since the song I was trying to save (The Count of Tuscany) is out, I'll go back to voting against my actual least favorite song here, which is The Glass Prison.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline MirrorMask

In the Presence of Enemies, last easy choice. And damn you Count haters!  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
whoooo-ooaaah, why's itpoe still theee-eerre?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
terrible unison, glory glory hallelujah.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop

this is what I'm thinking for a lot of songs that made the Finals. As for songs still there; wtf is The Mirror doing? :lol it's just sitting there, not getting any votes, because people ignore it.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline MirrorMask

this is what I'm thinking for a lot of songs that made the Finals. As for songs still there; wtf is The Mirror doing? :lol it's just sitting there, not getting any votes, because people ignore it.

The Mirror is there because it's their best heavy song and deserves all the praise and unconditional love it comes its way  :metal :metal :metal

Ok, fanboyism for the song aside, I've said all along that the most polarizing songs get all the attention, and people focus on voting out the famous song that for their life they can't understand why everyone else likes, and so "middle of the road" songs last much longer than classics who divide the fanbase.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Trial Of Tears

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
"middle of the road" songs last much longer than classics who divide the fanbase.

this is literally the story of every Survivor ever :lol
Squ

Offline krands85

The Mirror
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online mikeyd23

Scarred

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
The Root of All Evil
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline CharlesPL

The Root Of All Evil

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt

or; it's top 5 DT material  :tup

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, that's Survivor format for you.

Fatal Tragedy
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline romdrums

Finally Free
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Don't get the hate for Count. It's probably my favourite Rudess performance to date.

It's a Fatal Tragedy that people think it's better than TCOT.   ;)

Offline ToT-147

The Mirror is there because it's their best heavy song and deserves all the praise and unconditional love it comes its way  :metal :metal :metal

Ok, fanboyism for the song aside, I've said all along that the most polarizing songs get all the attention, and people focus on voting out the famous song that for their life they can't understand why everyone else likes, and so "middle of the road" songs last much longer than classics who divide the fanbase.

But there's someone who actually do that?... I don't remember any of us saying not once that their vote was to a particular song because, even when there were least favorite songs in the list, it was an overrated one.. It's just a theory, with no single real evidence.. I mean, look at the results so far.. How many votes are getting the 'classics' or 'famous songs'?.. Just binary numbers..
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 05:48:41 PM by ToT-147 »

Offline MirrorMask

Yeah, maybe I went too far in making that specific example. I was not suggesting that people vote classic songs out of spite or boredom, it's just that I feel that the biggest and most defining songs are polarizing and as much praise they get, they can attract also a bigger dislike that draws attention to them way more than a song that everyone agrees is just "normally good".  Being italian I can witness the election of the peope and the election of the president of the republic, which is not voted by the citizens but by the parliament - in both cases a compromise candidate has better chances than a candidate that is much loved by many, but equally disliked by as many others.

Online The Letter M

Wow, guys, we've reached 40 votes! That might be the first time in these Finals rounds, so I have high hopes for the remaining two weeks of rounds. These results are pretty compelling so far, though, so it'll be interesting to see where we go from here.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ToT-147

Yeah, maybe I went too far in making that specific example. I was not suggesting that people vote classic songs out of spite or boredom, it's just that I feel that the biggest and most defining songs are polarizing and as much praise they get, they can attract also a bigger dislike that draws attention to them way more than a song that everyone agrees is just "normally good".

And I didn't think that either.. I understand your logic, but I don't think it applies... or maybe I just don't want to believe survivors work that way..

What I'm saying is that these polarizing songs, like TCoT, SDoIT, TMoLS or IT, don't last and won't ever last until the final rounds of a survivor because there is a considerable percent of voters that, from one point onwards, consider them to be their least favorite of the remaining songs.. They are polarizing, but only as from a certain scale in between an imaginary DT fans consensual ranking.. On the other side, you're implying that those votes came from people who overlooks the middle-range songs even when one or some of them are less liked than the one they're actually voting..

I guess we'll never know any of this for sure, but I think that we just might be looking at the word "polarizing" from different point of views..