Author Topic: Bill O'Reilly Is Out At Fox News  (Read 1950 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
Bill O'Reilly Is Out At Fox News
« on: April 19, 2017, 01:21:26 PM »
Bill O'Reilly Is Out At Fox News

Worst part of the story:

Tucker Carlson will replace O'Reilly in the 8 p.m. ET time slot.

j/k

Real worst part of the story:

O'Reilly, Fox News and 21st Century Fox quietly paid out roughly $13 million in settlements to five women who had accused him of sexual harassment.

Well, I don't know.  Tucker Carlson is pretty bad.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Looks like Fish, tastes like chicken
Re: Bill O'Reilly Is Out At Fox News
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 01:28:32 PM »
My wife just forwarded a news alert about this. Which is really weird because I don't think she's ever watched Fox News in her life.

She also forwarded a news alert that Jason Chaffetz isn't going to run for re-election! Very strange.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 01:35:02 PM »
Good riddance if he is guilty of the accusations, which I am inclined to believe.   

I think it's crazy how some big corporations will pay so much to keep people quiet to protect their star.  It only allows the problems to get worse as the person committing the crimes becomes more comfortable doing so since they learn there is no punishment for their actions.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 01:56:38 PM »
But why pay the money if you're going to shit can them anyway?  I can't believe there isn't a morals clause or something similar that gives Fox et al grounds to not pay anything on him.   Doesn't make sense, unless the claim is that they were complicit.  Which means it's not at all protecting their star, but protecting THEM!

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 02:04:00 PM »
Heard that earlier this morning.  Not sure what to make of it, honestly.  I haven't paid much attention to him in years, and even when I did pay a bit of attention, that was only because he was then on the radio during the timeslot the coincided with my commute.  What I do recall is that he sometimes made arguments that were flawed or based on info that was either likely or demonstrably false.  There were other times when he made arguments that were incredibly cogent and based on info that was likely or demonstrably true.  In any case, not much more I can say than that. 

...well, other than the sexual harassment stuff.  If there's anything to any of it, he deserves to not work again.  But we'll never know whether there is anything there or not.  The fact that there are five women and that Fox chose to settle, and for such a high amount, doesn't necessarily mean there is something there.  I think it's unfair to draw any conclusions one way or the other based on those facts.

Good riddance if he is guilty of the accusations, which I am inclined to believe.   

I think it's crazy how some big corporations will pay so much to keep people quiet to protect their star.  It only allows the problems to get worse as the person committing the crimes becomes more comfortable doing so since they learn there is no punishment for their actions.

You may very well be right, Cram.  But I know from my work experience that, more often than you might like to believe, it isn't a case of the corporation paying to just "keep people quiet to protect their star."  Let me give you a set of hypothetical facts.  Not saying this is true, and not defending either O'Reilly or Fox.  Just saying, I have seen things play out very similar to this in a great number of cases.  So let's assume the following completely hypothetical facts: 
1.  He didn't sexually harass anyone or act in a way that was in the slightest bit improper.
2.  Each of these women decided to concoct a story that he did something behind closed doors where there were no witnesses to prove or disprove any of it.  Knowing that there would be five of them, it just looks bad for the high-profile celeb working for the giant corporation, so there is likely a big payday at the end of the road if they collectively come up with a good story and stick to it, because nobody can prove otherwise.  It is strictly a case of "he said/she said," and it's 5 against 1.

Even a mediocre plaintiffs' attorney can take that and make a big payday out of it.  If even a couple of those cases make it all the way to trial after years of litigation, and even if they are kept as completely separate cases, all five women come in and testify as "witnesses," and it becomes 5 against 1, even if nobody else saw anything.  And because they are in litigation, they can say anything else that may or may not be true because, in litigation, it isn't defamation (well, it could be, but the standard for proving it is defamation is a LOT higher, so you can pretty much say whatever you want without having to worry about it).  So maybe they sling a lot of mud that makes the company look bad, even if they didn't do much that was wrong.  In a lot of cases, if the supervisory employee is found to have committed sexual harassment, the big company is also liable.  So now it is the big company that has to pay.  And they may have to pay millions upon millions of punitive damages on top if it all.  And the other side's few million in attorneys' fees and costs.  Knowing that a jury is going to hear an intrinsically biased version of the facts, and that if they lose, they are going to have to pay a HUGE amount, settlement is often the most common sense approach in these scenarios.  It just is.  And it often has little to do with whether or not anything wrong actually happened.  And settlements are almost always confidential.  It isn't about "keeping people quiet."  There are very good big picture reasons for the settlement process to be kept confidential under the law, and that is why they are almost always done that way. 

Again, none of that is to say that there might not be something to this.  There very well might be.  I'm just saying, there are very good reasons NOT to make assumptions.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 02:37:55 PM »
Totally agree with you Bosk, my assumption is simply that.  There may be plenty of other reasons to explain the actions that are not despicable and my response did not take that into account.

I don't know the details to say more than what I had said in terms of my personally feelings and thoughts on the subject.  There can be tons of other factors my single statement doesn't take into account.  I just see so much money being thrown around that it makes me wonder. 

Also, this isn't the first sexual harassment claim against someone at Fox news.  Which is also what leads me to believe that a culture of getting away with criminal activities has lead those such activities to continue.

My thoughts on this stem from being a Penn State alum and really digging deep into the Sandusky situation that happened there.  The guy who got away with being a pedophile after being investigated and it allowed him to continue doing so when he could have and should have been stopped much earlier.  I forget who, but someone the Paterno's hired to help explain Joe's actions (or inactions) psychologically explained a lot of how this works with criminals.  I don't know if Bill is such a criminal, but I have a hard time believing the story is not true.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 02:56:15 PM »
Yeah, and I don't discount that it could be possible.  Just saying that it's dangerous to just assume based on what little we know, especially since a certain picture has been painted by parties with a vested interest in litigation (at least one of whom, by the way, agreed to accept a large sum of money to settle her claims, and then breached the confidentiality agreement).  But we basically agree, so I'm not trying to beat a dead horse.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 05:46:57 PM »
Yeah, if any of it is true, he deserves to go. I can't stand Carlson either, though. He occasionally makes a valid point, but when he brings guests on, he just bullies and talks over them, frames his questions in such a way that no answer could possibly sound good without further explanation, and then after not allowing them to speak, claims that they can't defend their position.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 06:15:23 PM »
Given what a bully O'Reilly acted like on air, I think the accusations of sexual harassment were totally believable.

Good riddance. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 08:48:49 PM »
Good.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 07:09:24 AM »
Huh, I actually kinda like Tucker  :lol

*runs and hides

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 08:25:39 AM »
Given what a bully O'Reilly acted like on air, I think the accusations of sexual harassment were totally believable plausible.
FTFM

He's always been a jerk and an asshole, going back as long as I can remember.  Therefore, it wouldn't surprise me a whole lot if it WAS true.

Which doesn't mean that it IS true.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 08:43:35 AM »
 :lol both words mean the same thing

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 12:15:59 PM »
:lol both words mean the same thing
Which two?  Jerk and asshole?

I disagree.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 12:21:26 PM »
 :lol Can't tell if that's sarcastic but I meant believable and plausible

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2017, 12:51:24 PM »
If it was sarcasm it was brilliant. If not I'm very disappointed.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2017, 03:43:02 PM »
By all means, it was sarcasm.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Just a decent, normal metal-head fellow
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2017, 06:03:04 PM »
But isn't this old news? I mean, it's been fairly known that he's settled a number of suits, isn't it? Just wondering why NOW that it is making an impact? Seems like the NYT went after him hard on this. Juts wondering why they didn't years ago?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums................or WTF.  ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2017, 06:07:44 PM »
Advertisers were abandoning him like he had just caught the herp.  Once that happened, his ouster was only a matter of time.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2017, 07:18:48 PM »
Definitely, yet they stood by him all of these years.

Look, I'm not defending him at all, but this really seems like a concerted effort by the NYT to lead his ouster.

If I am at Fox, I make sure I cover my ass, because the NYT has declared war.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2017, 06:54:42 AM »
But isn't this old news? I mean, it's been fairly known that he's settled a number of suits, isn't it? Just wondering why NOW that it is making an impact? Seems like the NYT went after him hard on this. Juts wondering why they didn't years ago?
I don't think it's old news.  Part of settlements was confidentiality.  I had certainly never heard this stuff until recently.

If it was all in the open, there would be no story here.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2017, 07:04:01 AM »
He is a pompous blowhard, so I wont miss him.  But I did enjoy the Dennis Miller and Jesse Watters segments.

And Tucker is fun to watch.  He isnt afraid to spank the liberal bed-wetters that come on the show.  But I would think he will run out of willing participants at some point. And he is intentionally antagonistic and that will grow old soon.
Until you struggle through the dark, you'll never know that you're alive.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2017, 07:10:29 AM »
I'm not a big fan of Tucker.  He's not easy to watch/listen to because of his attitude and the facial expressions are just annoying.   While I wasn't an O'Reilly fan, I thought he actually covered the election better than most did.  He was pretty fair with Trump, but Tucker is just a blow hard for the right.  I'd rather see some more evenness from both sides, which I don't think O'Reilly was, but he definitely wasn't as bad as Tucker nor as bad as people said he was.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2017, 07:39:00 AM »
Also, this isn't the first sexual harassment claim against someone at Fox news.  Which is also what leads me to believe that a culture of getting away with criminal activities has lead those such activities to continue.

My thoughts on this stem from being a Penn State alum and really digging deep into the Sandusky situation that happened there.  The guy who got away with being a pedophile after being investigated and it allowed him to continue doing so when he could have and should have been stopped much earlier.  I forget who, but someone the Paterno's hired to help explain Joe's actions (or inactions) psychologically explained a lot of how this works with criminals.  I don't know if Bill is such a criminal, but I have a hard time believing the story is not true.

Then you know exactly why Fox paid up, and it has NOTHING to do with "their star".  If I'm O'Reilly, part of my defense - well after I maintain that "I didn't do it" - would be even if there was behavior that could be construed as "sexual harassment", it was a part of the culture of the work place and the real culprit is Fox for not doing more to reign in ALL the abusers that were in place.   And I'd start digging into the protocol for reporting, and the protocol for investigating.    The idea that this is limited to O'Reilly grabbing ass with an intern isn't really likely accurate given the facts that we've been given. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2017, 10:13:37 AM »
^Agreed^

Offline PowerSlave

All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2017, 10:01:00 AM »
Not condoning anything he may have done, but I liked his show and will miss it.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2017, 10:15:52 AM »
Not condoning anything he may have done, but I liked his show and will miss it.

Yes, that's how I feel.

Offline TL

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2017, 02:57:49 PM »
Not even O'Reilly specifically, but I've always found the idea of watching partisan pundit shows for entertainment a bit strange. That goes equally for left wing and right wing pundit shows. For me, I'll check the news quickly one a day just to see what's going on, or if something happens to get more information, but I can't imagine wanting to spend my downtime hearing a person from one side of the aisle complaining about people on the other, even if I agree with them.

I'm willing to just chalk this down as an "I don't get it" thing and move on.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2017, 06:41:18 PM »
I totally get that.  For me, if I am going to watch any of them, they better have interesting guests or I am changing the channel fast.  The only one I watch ever anymore is Anderson Cooper, and even that is flipping on for just a few minutes.  There is really no reason to watch people like Hannity, Maddow, Carlson, etc., unless you merely want an echo chamber.

Offline kingshmegland

• defender of the brew!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2017, 06:50:14 AM »
That was the big change.  News used to be just that, news.  Now the reporting is slanted to the personal leanings.  I can't say when it happened but it just did.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart

So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2017, 08:49:20 AM »
Not even O'Reilly specifically, but I've always found the idea of watching partisan pundit shows for entertainment a bit strange. That goes equally for left wing and right wing pundit shows. For me, I'll check the news quickly one a day just to see what's going on, or if something happens to get more information, but I can't imagine wanting to spend my downtime hearing a person from one side of the aisle complaining about people on the other, even if I agree with them.

I'm willing to just chalk this down as an "I don't get it" thing and move on.

Even being a 'conservative' leaning person I can honestly say I rarely...if ever...watch FOX news or any other 'right wing' cable show. And have never watched any of the 'left wing' shows either...for the reasons you mentioned. You know without a doubt that what you are hearing/seeing is skewed to fit that particular ideology and it's most likely leaving something out that would interfere with that stance.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jasc15

• TTAL: Yeti welcome
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2017, 11:29:29 AM »
That was the big change.  News used to be just that, news.  Now the reporting is slanted to the personal leanings.  I can't say when it happened but it just did.
There is (or was) a documentary on Netflix called The Best of Enemies, which follows the public debates and feuds between William F. Buckley and Gore Vidal.  They were apparently the first, or one of the first partisan commentators on national TV, featured by ABC (which was a relatively new network at the time) during the run-up to the 1968 presidential election.  Their debates got pretty hot and the documentary cites this as the precursor to the cable news shows and their partisan commentary.  Prior to this it was simply the evening news from the big networks where most people got their information.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2017, 12:00:03 PM »
There is (or was) a documentary on Netflix called The Best of Enemies, which follows the public debates and feuds between William F. Buckley and Gore Vidal.  They were apparently the first, or one of the first partisan commentators on national TV, featured by ABC (which was a relatively new network at the time) during the run-up to the 1968 presidential election.  Their debates got pretty hot and the documentary cites this as the precursor to the cable news shows and their partisan commentary.  Prior to this it was simply the evening news from the big networks where most people got their information.
It's on my list.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2017, 02:07:21 PM »
Co-President Bill Shine out:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/01/media/bill-shine-out-fox-news/index.html

"This is a significant day for all at Fox News," Rupert Murdoch, the executive chairman of 21st Century Fox, said in a statement announcing Shine's resignation. "Bill has played a huge role in building Fox News to its present position as the nation's biggest and most important cable channel in the history of the industry. His contribution to our channel and our country will resonate for many years."

Don't hurt yourself stepping off the pedestal you've put yourself on.