Author Topic: Dear Dream Theater  (Read 21646 times)

Offline Skeever

Re: Dear Dream Theater
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2017, 07:55:27 AM »
Yeah, cause we've had NO interviews or behind the scenes stuff the past year and a half at all...

Oh wait...

The DT World ALONE has had (in order of publication):
-1 interview with Jordan
-1 interview with Jordan and JP
-(1 interview with MP)
-1 interview with Jordan again
-1 interview with Jordan about the LMR
-1 e-mail interview with the entire band
-1 video with Keith and Jordan
-1 video with JP and Maddi
-1 video with Mike and Eric
-1 interview with Mike
-1 interview with James
-1 interview with JP and JMX
-1 video showing some behind the scenes stuff
-(1 interview with MP)

Thats JUST what WE have done. And theres been a million other interviews and guitar stuff and keyboard stuff posted on youtube and facebook... We have had MUCH more information out there this past year than we've had in long time.

I didn't say there were "no interviews" at all, so you can spare me the phony outrage reaction. Of course, the band still do interviews, and I don't present some objective truth that they don't. But I do present to you my subjective experience that it ain't the same. Even if I wanted to work for it, I don't think I could begin to list exhaustively all the things that MP did above and beyond to make being a fan feel special. No amount of the other guys stepping up has been able to replace the face of the band that Portnoy presented. So, take that for whatever it's worth to you, but I know that I'm not alone regarding the way I feel.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2017, 08:18:52 AM »
i know better than most just exactly what MP meant with regards to fan interaction - but I absolutely will call your bullshit. What hasn't dt done for the fans since mp left? The ONLY factor that has changed is the set list factor - and to be fair - for the most part that only counts for a very small minority as most people only attend one gig at a tour.

It pretty much boils down to personality - JR has always been just as active and inclusive with fans as MP but seems like he, for some reason, does not count. So you prefer mps personality. Which is fine. But don't act like something isn't available to you anymore. In fact we make more stuff and do more stuff locally with the band (q&a and aftershow stuff) than ever before. The fan club has a bigger reach and more followers than EVER in the history of the band. And we have more access to the entire band than ever before. ive been doing this for 17 years, and I do not agree that dt has lost contact with its fan base. It's just different personalities.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2017, 08:22:41 AM »
It pretty much boils down to personality - JR has always been just as active and inclusive with fans as MP but seems like he, for some reason, does not count.

That's true - just the other day I opened Facebook and randomly I stumbled upon a Jordan live stream when he was playing an improv piece before leaving for the European tour. Just an example of how he keeps posting treats here and there.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2017, 08:25:07 AM »
Yea, but I don't think anyone has the live connection with that fans that MP did.  I agree that their live shows have taken a hit in terms of fan interaction.  MP was very "in your face" and no one else in the band currently is like that.  JR wouldn't even come close to the edge of the stage last time I saw them in the front row.  JP did for a split second, everyone else acted like the audience wasn't there.  I'm not really complaining, that's the way the guys are and have been, but MP was the only one different in that regard.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2017, 08:27:26 AM »
Noxon, I agree completely with you as a matter of objective fact.  But what I think you may be discounting too much is the power of perception.  Whether it is right or not, I think it is objectively true that a large number of fans still feel like there is an important component missing since MP's departure.  Whether that is right or wrong, and whether it is a majority or minority of fans isn't important.  What is important, IMO, is acknowledging that there is still, and probably always will be, a significant portion of the fan base that feels this way.  The band is doing an okay job of addressing this on their own, at least in terms of listing to guys like you and I when we bring things to their attention.  And I think the job you guys are doing is outstanding.  But that perception still exists, and I think it warrants acknowledging and continuing to work hard to try to find ways to connect with the fans.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2017, 08:37:49 AM »
I wouldn't get too hung up over the amount of interviews or Facebook posts. What matters to people who think about going to a show is the show itself. Will they see exactly the same songs as 2 months ago? Will there be something unique about their experience? Will there be a lot of energy coming from the stage? Those are all aspects that took a hit with MP's departure, and as bosk says, that's how people perceive it, and that in its own right needs to be acknowledged.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2017, 08:57:46 AM »
There have been interviews, there have been moments, but I think the band feels more distant since Portnoy left.

Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Skeever

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2017, 09:00:44 AM »

i know better than most just exactly what MP meant with regards to fan interaction - but I absolutely will call your bullshit. What hasn't dt done for the fans since mp left? The ONLY factor that has changed is the set list factor - and to be fair - for the most part that only counts for a very small minority as most people only attend one gig at a tour.

It pretty much boils down to personality - JR has always been just as active and inclusive with fans as MP but seems like he, for some reason, does not count. So you prefer mps personality. Which is fine. But don't act like something isn't available to you anymore. In fact we make more stuff and do more stuff locally with the band (q&a and aftershow stuff) than ever before. The fan club has a bigger reach and more followers than EVER in the history of the band. And we have more access to the entire band than ever before. ive been doing this for 17 years, and I do not agree that dt has lost contact with its fan base. It's just different personalities.
Yeah, I'm really not interested in getting into a debate about who did what compared to what Mike did, or how many fans feel the way I tend to vs. how many feel like things are better than ever. That's not the point here. I'm just honestly reporting my view, and sure, there may be things I'm overlooking. I'll try and pay greater attention to the things that, for instance, the fanclub are doing (which I've honestly never really paid much attention to). That said, your view as liaison to band gives you a unique perspective, but I wouldn't call you out as "bullshitting" just because maybe you happen to be more invested in seeing things positively than I am. How does trying to discredit people who feel a different way help their perception of the band?

If pressed, though, one specific thing that I do miss is the MP.com forum interaction and, perhaps moreso, his Twitter interaction. I know Twitter isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I really enjoyed MP's constant presence. Another thing is the way MP was able to network with and weave himself and DT into the modern prog scenes of the day - whether it be Fates and QR early on, PT and Spocks in the early 00s, BtBAM and Opeth in the mid-00s, and so on. It's not just that Mike liked all this music - it's that Mike kept an ear close enough to the fanbase to know what they liked, what bands they were talking about on the forums and social media, and so on. Mike's influence on fans and the fan influence on Mike seems to have gone both ways. Not sure how that all plays into keeping a band feeling fresh to longtime fans, and to be fair, I'm not sure there are enough people like me that DT necessarily SHOULD feel they need to do something different. But I do know that I'm not alone.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2017, 09:05:54 AM »
I'll admit that JP has become way more visible in the time since MP's departure.  And, I totally give him credit for that.  The only negative I can find with this is that (once again, IMO) JP is boring.  Listening to him speak is like listening to Derek Jeter speak.  He may or may not say a lot.  But, in reality, he says nothing.  There's a reason why MP was the mouthpiece all those years.  He had energy and said interesting things.  I don't want this to devolve into a bigger MP vs. DT discussion than it already has.  So, I'm gonna stop.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2017, 09:07:16 AM »
You know, I hear complaints about the live show, and I guess I got an anomaly, because back in December at the last show of The Astonishing, the band was on fire and super animated and responsive to the crowd.  I had absolutely NO complaints about their live performance whatsoever.

Sorry I got the best show, guys.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline emtee

« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2017, 09:25:19 AM »
I don't know if the attendance is down globally because I just don't pay that close attention any more. I guess if there are fewer people
coming and the trend line is moving slowly down, the band will have to make some adjustments.

With a band like DT, full of top notch musicians playing complicated music that requires being very 'in-the-moment' it's sometimes
hard to have a stage show that is entertaining to the vast majority. This is debatable and that is fine but with MP gone I think they
lost the cool, rock star stage presence that breeds life and energy into the show. And unfortunately 'coolness' is something you
either have or you don't. He was always back there flipping or throwing sticks, pointing at people in the audience he recognized,
standing up and down and connecting with the crowd. I think the other guys have tried to do the best they can but for whatever
reason they just don't have that cool factor and it comes off as performing prog-metal surgery. Clinical perfection but not too
fun to watch.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2017, 09:26:21 AM »
I'll admit that JP has become way more visible in the time since MP's departure.  And, I totally give him credit for that.  The only negative I can find with this is that (once again, IMO) JP is boring.  Listening to him speak is like listening to Derek Jeter speak.  He may or may not say a lot.  But, in reality, he says nothing.  There's a reason why MP was the mouthpiece all those years.  He had energy and said interesting things.  I don't want this to devolve into a bigger MP vs. DT discussion than it already has.  So, I'm gonna stop.

JP is a much calmer, more chill person than MP, but I don't think I have ever found him to be boring...

You know, I hear complaints about the live show, and I guess I got an anomaly, because back in December at the last show of The Astonishing, the band was on fire and super animated and responsive to the crowd.  I had absolutely NO complaints about their live performance whatsoever.

I get the feeling some of the "they lack energy" comments (not specifically from people in this thread, but overall) are people judging things from YouTube. I've been to 3 DT shows with MM in the band and they were animated, responsive, enthusiastic, etc... each time. Great shows.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2017, 09:53:17 AM »

Prior to last year's TA show in NJ, I've never complained about a DT live performance.  I went into the show knowing it was only going to be TA (which I find to be their worst album, by far) in its entirety.  So, I can't say I didn't know.  I hoped experiencing the album live would have improved my opinion of it.  Unfortunately, it did not.  Had I been to one of the last shows of the tour where they threw in 2-3 old songs at the end, I would've been infinitely happier with the concert.  That's why I can't wait for the IWaB tour to hit the states.  IaW AND ACoS?  Count me in!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2017, 10:00:03 AM »
I've seen Dream Theater 4 or 5 times after MP left and none of the shows have felt boring. In fact, I think the band was very energetic on all of the shows, including The Astonishing live show that I attended. Both ADTOE shows that I attended were sold out. Both Astonishing shows that I went to were about 75-85% full.

While Dream Theater might have a slight input on ticket prices, is not their decision. DT asks for certain amount of money, promoter pays it, promoter sets ticket prices. The ticket pricing itself involves a lot of factors such as venue rental fee, crew, if other bands are playing in the same city, etc...If promoter thinks the DT Images and Words tour warrants a more expensive ticket compared to The Astonishing, then that's his/her decision. It is more than likely that DT asked for more money during The Astonishing just because they had more screens and equipment. The stage setup for Images seems to have a lot less equipment. It all comes down to supply and demand. If you can't attend, then I would recommend saving up more money. I did that in my early years following the band. I had to travel to Phoenix, AZ from El Paso, TX (6 hr drive) in order to see them several times. I just planned ahead, did a bit of side work, earned a bit more money, and rock the shit out afterwards  :metal .

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2017, 10:44:03 AM »
Higher ticket prices are designed by the band intentionally. They're getting up there in age and the last thing they need is to throw a hip trying to strike a rock 'n roll pose for a large audience of enthusiastic, young, poor, fans. This way, the audience will be more their age and income level which is easier to relate to. Plus, they get no grief from the wife about young groupies in the front row screaming and pulling their hair out. Instead, the front row is filled with pot bellied men, with full wallets, who don't have any hair left to pull out. More money for merch, too.

It's actually quite clever when you think about it.
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2017, 10:54:23 AM »
JP is a much calmer, more chill person than MP, but I don't think I have ever found him to be boring...

I get the feeling some of the "they lack energy" comments (not specifically from people in this thread, but overall) are people judging things from YouTube. I've been to 3 DT shows with MM in the band and they were animated, responsive, enthusiastic, etc... each time. Great shows.

Yup, all of this.. Besides: you can't compare MP with just one of the guys... like, say, let's compare him with Myung then.. Like with the live presence, the album production and the fan interaction, if you can have at least one guy who did that now that MP's isn't there to do it, that's about it.. And you got those guys: JP is the producer, JR the one being more active online and JLB is the one doing interesting interviews -because, although I don't think JP is boring at all, his interviews doesn't tell you much or 'entertaint' you (even when the point of an interview is not that, I know)-.... As for the "frontman" thing, now's obviously James, as he should've been right from the start, because.....

MP was very "in your face" and no one else in the band currently is like that.

I don't get how that would be a thing to miss.. ???

They feel better than ever now on stage, or at least that's what I and a lot of ppl see of them, besides the fact that they've said it a couple of times.. My first show was in 2010; I was at JP's side and the whole show it felt like he wasn't even there.. MP himself didn't seem to be enjoying the moment, just doing his regular clowning stuff, but like it was something he supposed to do more than something spontaneous or vivid.. Every show since then has been amazing -not that that first one wasn't regarding the live performance- in every aspect, and not only when they had to deliver an energy performance full of powah like they did in 2012 because of the DVD, but in the following shows too..

Having said that, I understand each one lives it in a different way, and has much to do with the context in which one goes to the concerts.. For instance, in southamerica they tend to give a more "transpiring" presentation than in other places due to what the audience give to them in the first place...
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2017, 11:06:06 AM »
MP was very "in your face" and no one else in the band currently is like that.

I don't get how that would be a thing to miss.. ???

To each their own, I just prefer to have the band I am paying to see acknowledge the crowd's presence.  It was only that one concert (TA in NJ last fall) that gave me that impression.  I've seen them 14 times now and I've enjoyed every experience so I'm not trying to be hard on the band, just being honest with my feelings.  Some people obviously don't care about that interaction, but I personally like that in a live setting, makes you feel apart of the show.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2017, 11:24:30 AM »
Higher ticket prices are designed by the band intentionally. They're getting up there in age and the last thing they need is to throw a hip trying to strike a rock 'n roll pose for a large audience of enthusiastic, young, poor, fans. This way, the audience will be more their age and income level which is easier to relate to. Plus, they get no grief from the wife about young groupies in the front row screaming and pulling their hair out. Instead, the front row is filled with pot bellied men, with full wallets, who don't have any hair left to pull out. More money for merch, too.

You forgot to add that it's also quite prejudiced and discriminatory..

To each their own, I just prefer to have the band I am paying to see acknowledge the crowd's presence.  It was only that one concert (TA in NJ last fall) that gave me that impression.  I've seen them 14 times now and I've enjoyed every experience so I'm not trying to be hard on the band, just being honest with my feelings.  Some people obviously don't care about that interaction, but I personally like that in a live setting, makes you feel apart of the show.

Fair enough.. I guess I've never thought of it.. I happen to just want to go and see them playing; never cared about what the artists say in between the songs or at the end of the show..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2017, 11:31:33 AM »
It's not even about talking, it's just about a general interaction.  Eye contact, moving close to the fans at the edge of the stage, getting people to clap or chant, pointing at the person who is going nuts.  It could be a lot of things.  MP was very good at that.  I actually think MM is pretty decent as well for a drummer, it's not typically the drummer who gets the crowd going, but I think MM is actually above average in this regards.  He definitely tries to make contact with the crowd and show off at certain spots.  But I personally find that to be the biggest thing lacking since MP left because no one else in the band has made up for it. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2017, 11:40:56 AM »

Prior to last year's TA show in NJ, I've never complained about a DT live performance.  I went into the show knowing it was only going to be TA (which I find to be their worst album, by far) in its entirety.  So, I can't say I didn't know.  I hoped experiencing the album live would have improved my opinion of it.  Unfortunately, it did not.  Had I been to one of the last shows of the tour where they threw in 2-3 old songs at the end, I would've been infinitely happier with the concert.  That's why I can't wait for the IWaB tour to hit the states.  IaW AND ACoS?  Count me in!
Didn't really matter about the encore songs.  I was glad to get them, of course, and they definitely rocked my face, but the band was awesome throughout the entire show.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2017, 11:49:55 AM »
This is just the way the market, and music industry as a whole, has gone.
In terms of attendances Italy surely is an exception, but I can tell you that all post MP era shows I've attended (but one) were either sold out or very close to be. And for me personally nowhere less exciting than those I've attended previously (not even TA one)
Which is something I can't say, for example, about the PN09 tour.
But then again, numbers are valid only if put into context.

DT has dropped in popularity? Yes, as it has metal music in general
DT concerts are less attended? Yes, again, in proportion to how concerts (and this kind of music) has gone lately
Is popularity determined to how much a band speaks to its public?
Sometimes, and of course DT is a good example of that, but in 2017 it's not about how many things you do, but how these things are done.

In all honesty, and I don't know if you can blame someone for that, but the only thing I really feel like it has changed the way I look at them is that somehow they've really regress in terms of maturity: they used to be cool, to write very interesting arrangements, to write deep lyrics (e.g. Voices) ecc...
And then they did SC and never fully recover from that.
I like what they've done since MP has departed, I really do (way more than last 2 MP era albums) but do I fell as engaged as I use to be until SDOIT? Not really.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2017, 11:52:27 AM »

Didn't really matter about the encore songs.  I was glad to get them, of course, and they definitely rocked my face, but the band was awesome throughout the entire show.
I know I've mentioned this a couple of times elsewhere, but I'll say it again.  I was able to see them twice on the TA tour--once playing the entire thing, and then again with the slightly shortened TA and the encore songs.  They were BOTH amazing shows, and I am thankful to have seen them both.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2017, 11:59:50 AM »

You forgot to add that it's also quite prejudiced and discriminatory..

Apperantly, what I really forgot was the green font color.  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2017, 12:03:15 PM »
QUIT BEING AN ASSHOLE, PODAAR!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2017, 12:07:02 PM »

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2017, 12:07:12 PM »
I will add The Astonishing show I saw was PACKED and INCREDIBLE. I would not add a song or a change a second. And I actually also went in thinking it was my least favorite DT album.

I thought it was the best DT concert I've seen.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2017, 12:30:23 PM »
I'm looking forward to the NA dates being announced, personally, I wouldn't hesitate to spend $50 to $75 bucks on a ticket to see the band perform I&W and ACOS.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2017, 12:34:07 PM »
I thought it was the best DT concert I've seen.

It's funny because I kind of gave some negative criticism specifically for the NJ TA show I went to, but it actually was probably my favorite DT concert out of the 14 I've been to.  Performance was great and I was front row which I had never been before, I also really enjoy TA so it was great.

I'm looking forward to the NA dates being announced, personally, I wouldn't hesitate to spend $50 to $75 bucks on a ticket to see the band perform I&W and ACOS.

Definitely this.  I think I'd put my limit closer to $200 to see my all time favorite album live.

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2017, 12:47:03 PM »
I will be seeing them for the 2nd time this tour next week in Tilburg.

I would be a little disappointed if they play the exact same set as they did the first show (also Tilburg) but still be  a happy fan.

Spend about € 60,-- for each show and the first one in february was totally worth it.

Yes, I think it's a lot of money but still nothing execeptional compared to other bands I'm seeing this year like Volbeat.
Guns 'n Roses was around € 100,-- and Eddie Vedder even more and those are prices I'm not willing to pay.
On the other hand Gojira and Haken were just € 25,-- :D

In the end prices for all sorts of entertainment are increasing. A ticket for my favorite soccer team is about € 40 for an average match. Even a cinema ticket is over € 10,--.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2017, 01:03:00 PM »

I would be a little disappointed if they play the exact same set as they did the first show (also Tilburg) but still be  a happy fan.
Prepare to be disappointed.  The setlist is what it is.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2017, 01:04:41 PM »

Definitely this.  I think I'd put my limit closer to $200 to see my all time favorite album live.

Oh yea, I'd definitely spend more than $50-75 to see this show. I'm just guessing that will probably be the price range for average-ish seats.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2017, 01:08:42 PM »

I am checking with the band to see (1) if they are planning on making any changes to the set list, and (2) whether I can share the answer to question #1.  I will let you all know if there is any information I can share one way or the other.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2017, 01:10:00 PM »
While Dream Theater might have a slight input on ticket prices, is not their decision. DT asks for certain amount of money, promoter pays it, promoter sets ticket prices. The ticket pricing itself involves a lot of factors such as venue rental fee, crew, if other bands are playing in the same city, etc...If promoter thinks the DT Images and Words tour warrants a more expensive ticket compared to The Astonishing, then that's his/her decision. It is more than likely that DT asked for more money during The Astonishing just because they had more screens and equipment. The stage setup for Images seems to have a lot less equipment. It all comes down to supply and demand. If you can't attend, then I would recommend saving up more money. I did that in my early years following the band. I had to travel to Phoenix, AZ from El Paso, TX (6 hr drive) in order to see them several times. I just planned ahead, did a bit of side work, earned a bit more money, and rock the shit out afterwards  :metal .

This post is the best explanation as far as how concert ticket pricing works.  As a fan, you either go because you want to or you stay home for any number of factors (price, distance, family priorities, scheduling conflicts, stagnant setlists, etc.).  I've missed a lot of concerts that would have been so much fun to see because other things were more important at the time.  Such is life.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2017, 01:18:26 PM »

I am checking with the band to see (1) if they are planning on making any changes to the set list, and (2) whether I can share the answer to question #1.  I will let you all know if there is any information I can share one way or the other.

According to setlist.fm last nights show was the same setlist from the first leg.  Not sure if it's accurate or not though.

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2017, 01:41:06 PM »

This makes me sad. I remember seeing DT during one of their random stops in between the Iron Maiden tour in Summer 2010. It was the greatest show I could have wanted from DT. It was spontaneous, and even their jams were ridiculously tight. I had goosebumps the entire show. They had the entire place in the palm of their hand. I have seen them live since 2003 and this was by far the best show ever, in my opinion.

Then in 2012 I saw them again. The music was tight as ever, and I was really into ADTOE. But the spontaneity was gone. The crowd barely moved and I noticed I kept yawning and looking at the time. I figured it was me or something. But it seems that they've just lost their mojo. I'm not sure how they could fix that without seeming fake in a way.