Poll

What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?

Progressive (IAW, Awake, SDOIT, SFAM)
134 (53.8%)
Heavy (TOT, SC)
68 (27.3%)
Melodic (8VM, DT12, TA)
17 (6.8%)
Epic-Orchestral (BC&SL, ADTOE, WDADU)
11 (4.4%)
Light (FII)
19 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 242

Author Topic: What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?  (Read 56483 times)

Online mikeyd23

Re: What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2017, 07:30:10 AM »
... Maybe let Mangini co-produce his drum sound.

That's an interesting idea. Not sure they'd do it, but it would be interesting.

A more likely scenario is JP co-producing with JR. That seems more likely to me, and would probably achieve a better, more balanced sonic production, just from having two points of view in the room rather than one.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2017, 10:52:53 AM »
It will also be interesting to see at least one song with lyrics by Mangini but I don't think it will happen, if it does I will be very happy.

Would love to see that happening, but, sadly, it would only create more MP vs MM arguments  :-\

A more likely scenario is JP co-producing with JR. That seems more likely to me, and would probably achieve a better, more balanced sonic production, just from having two points of view in the room rather than one.

That's the route I thought they would take when Portnoy left. It made sense because Jordan is the one who is always using the latest software and technology to achieve better sounds, so definitely he knows a thing or two about producing an album, since he also produces his own stuff, but no, JP decided to produce all the albums by himself, instead.

We're already 3 albums in and this hasn't happened, so I really doubt it will. However, I do remember an Jordan saying it would be cool to work with an external producer when he was asked about it on an interview (couldn't find the link), but that was around 2013, before DT12 was out, so It doesn't seem like it'll happen anytime soon  :sad:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2017, 01:41:26 PM »
... Maybe let Mangini co-produce his drum sound.

That's an interesting idea. Not sure they'd do it, but it would be interesting.

Being a producer / engineer - I cant imagine Rich Chycki not throwing his 2c in now and again.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2017, 01:46:42 PM »
I'd love something in the vein of SDOIT. I think that album had the perfect combination of all their sounds.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2017, 01:53:36 PM »
Does Mangini have a pre-DT history of lyric writing?

It's kind of a shame that most answers here involve wanting an album similar to one they've done in the past, yet people moaned about ADTOE being too I&W-esque. Then when DT did do something different with The Astonishing, people moaned at that. So you can't win with many people. Whatever DT do, it will be awesome*. There should be absolutely no doubt about that now. They've exceeded expectations every time, and they are on fire right now.

*Although DT calling it quits and not making DT14 will be considerably less awesome.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2017, 02:20:16 PM »
Does Mangini have a pre-DT history of lyric writing?

It's kind of a shame that most answers here involve wanting an album similar to one they've done in the past, yet people moaned about ADTOE being too I&W-esque. Then when DT did do something different with The Astonishing, people moaned at that. So you can't win with many people. Whatever DT do, it will be awesome*. There should be absolutely no doubt about that now. They've exceeded expectations every time, and they are on fire right now.

*Although DT calling it quits and not making DT14 will be considerably less awesome.

Totally agree. DT never disappoints, even their "bad" albums are good  :laugh:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2017, 09:32:46 PM »
I would love it if they did a really complicated song again like TDOE. Especially I feel MM could bring some wicked rhythms into this.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2017, 01:55:18 AM »
I would love it if they did a really complicated song again like TDOE. Especially I feel MM could bring some wicked rhythms into this.

While I would hate to hear them outdo TDoE as I feel that it has earned its place as their most rhythmically complex piece of music, I would love to hear what crazy polymetric music they could create with Mangini in the fold. I feel like the 19/16 over 12/8 section of Illumination Theory was only the tip of the iceberg as far as Mangini's rhythmic genius goes and I would love to hear how far he can go with his polyrhythmic abilities.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline phospheneSOI

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2017, 03:55:19 AM »
I'd like to hear more of the jazzy/electronica/experimental moments from TA but it to sound nothing like TA.
I walk beside Dream Theater.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2017, 05:05:02 PM »
Random thought: I noticed that at least for DT, ballads and odd rhythms seem to be mutually exclusive. That is, their softer songs almost never feature prog aspects. Something like Hang 11 would be awesome again.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Devin Townsend

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2017, 05:26:10 PM »
I want a really laid back and loose record this time round, they need a chance to open up again

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2017, 02:27:17 AM »

That would be very cool. The little glimpses we got (Illumination Theory for example) made me very excited. With a proper, organic sound (and louder cymbals so we can hear his dynamics) it would be awesome to see what they can come up with.

Another thing i would like to see, is DT to get back to their more rocking sound, i feel like after BC&SL they try to be more cinematic and epic, but it has become a little tiring lately. Just some rocking vibe, like SDOIT (1st disc) or FII, or even Awake, would be so nice, and i feel Mike can be a very groovy and powerful part in that.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2017, 03:04:14 AM »

While I would hate to hear them outdo TDoE as I feel that it has earned its place as their most rhythmically complex piece of music, I would love to hear what crazy polymetric music they could create with Mangini in the fold. I feel like the 19/16 over 12/8 section of Illumination Theory was only the tip of the iceberg as far as Mangini's rhythmic genius goes and I would love to hear how far he can go with his polyrhythmic abilities.

There's that section in Outcry which is more or less that.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2017, 06:17:04 AM »
I ticked the prog box but I'm really looking for a melodic progressive metal album in the vein of Images & Words and Scenes From A Memory, really catchy melodic songs with prog metal riffs and virtuoso musicianship (but not at the expense of the song).  I'm hoping for a more collaborative effort with more input from Myung and Mangini this time around.

Would love to see them shake up the production and mixing a bit but can't see that happening and will likely be JP and RC again on those duties.  If David Prater is still about, I would love to see him have another go!

All in all, I'm sure whatever they do will be great but would be great if they took their time and crafted another classic album which allowed Mangini to really shine.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2017, 10:43:54 AM »

There's that section in Outcry which is more or less that.

I would love to see something like that on the next album  :metal

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2017, 09:14:02 AM »
Random thought: I noticed that at least for DT, ballads and odd rhythms seem to be mutually exclusive. That is, their softer songs almost never feature prog aspects. Something like Hang 11 would be awesome again.

This is the Life is in odd meter. The Bigger Picture is not a ballad, but it is relatively softer and it uses odd meters.

Anyway, looks like the fan response to The Astonishing means going back to the core sound again:

https://www.thenationalstudent.com/Music/2017-04-28/future_to_past_an_interview_with_dream_theater.html

Sigh.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2017, 01:26:10 PM »
Personally, I would like to see longer songs return in the 8-12 min range with some crazy proggy instrumental sections. I understand what they were going for on the last two albums (and I enjoyed them greatly) but to me DT is at its best with the longer songs.

Also, less ballads. Ideally just one. They used to write excellent ballads (the silent man, spirit, wait for sleep) but lately they are, generally speaking, the weaker songs on their albums and have become a constant criticism from casual fans.

Overall, like many others, i would like to see a more collaborative effort and, in particular, lyrics from Labrie and Myung. I also feel the lyrics have regressed slightly on the last two albums after improving on ADTOE.

Anyway, that's just my wish list. I'm sure it varies greatly from many others  ;)

Offline lucasembarbosa

• Pale Rider of No Tomorrow
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2017, 02:46:36 PM »
Although I wish DT would write heavier songs in the next album, I don't know if JLB could handle the aggressiveness in vocals as he did in SC/BC&SL... Like it or not, it's been at least 10 years. If the overall sound gets heavier but keeps James' voice melodic and in his middle-range/comfort zone, it would be perfect IMO.

Offline JLa

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2017, 05:22:56 AM »
I want it to be a good one!  ;D

Seriously though, they are all good. Some albums click better with me than others, but I can't really say why. I guess it's all down to the melodies, highly subjective and you can't write the same song twice.

TA didn't click at all, however. So, if I should wish for something specific, it would be "no more musicals". And I hope they nail the production this time. There's just this "something" that irks me with how DT albums sound in general. Awake stands out for me, that one sounded great to my ears, so more Awake-style mixing please!

Offline mirko_metal_88

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2017, 09:16:40 AM »
I wish it will be the exact opposite of what TA is, honestly :P

i guess they'll go more in an "heavy" direction...just saw a video interview "The Capt Meets The Mighty John Petrucci" where JP says he'll may be using an 8 strings on the record

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2017, 09:31:01 AM »

Well, you said it as a joke, but in the end isn't this what we all want? music is subjective and deeply personal and not to be predicted by scientific formulas, the same way one can, say, like redheads and then fall for a brunette. Regardless of how we wish the next album to be, we'll all like it or dislike it according on what the actual songs will sound to our ears.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2017, 01:38:24 PM »

i guess they'll go more in an "heavy" direction...just saw a video interview "The Capt Meets The Mighty John Petrucci" where JP says he'll may be using an 8 strings on the record

Wow, that's a hell-long interview ahah. Where does he exactly mentions the 8 string? :angel:

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2017, 03:52:43 PM »

i guess they'll go more in an "heavy" direction...

But this aren't wishes or guesses anymore.. They have confirmed it'll be that way..

Well, you said it as a joke, but in the end isn't this what we all want? music is subjective and deeply personal and not to be predicted by scientific formulas, the same way one can, say, like redheads and then fall for a brunette. Regardless of how we wish the next album to be, we'll all like it or dislike it according on what the actual songs will sound to our ears.

Agreed 100%..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2017, 07:59:41 PM »

This is the Life is in odd meter. The Bigger Picture is not a ballad, but it is relatively softer and it uses odd meters.

Anyway, looks like the fan response to The Astonishing means going back to the core sound again:

https://www.thenationalstudent.com/Music/2017-04-28/future_to_past_an_interview_with_dream_theater.html

Sigh.

At  least they noticed TA divided the fan base. Probably like never before.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2017, 09:21:14 PM »

Sigh.

I don't see the issue with that.  I read that as Rudess saying that they will bring the balance back.

For example, ADTOE was a very balanced record.

DT12 leaned much more to their heavy sound than most other albums (I think most would agree that it is one of their three heaviest albums, alongside Awake and ToT).

The Astonishing leaned much more to their conceptual side, while not being heavy really at all.

Saying they will return to their core sound, to me, means they will bring back the balance of light and heavy, metal and prog.  I get that some will call that playing it safe, but the band doesn't have to reinvent the wheel on every album. ;)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2017, 10:57:13 PM »
I'd say that BC&SL is much heavier than Awake, and, definitely, DT12.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2017, 02:25:39 AM »

Sigh.

I don't see the issue with that.  I read that as Rudess saying that they will bring the balance back.

For example, ADTOE was a very balanced record.

DT12 leaned much more to their heavy sound than most other albums (I think most would agree that it is one of their three heaviest albums, alongside Awake and ToT).

The Astonishing leaned much more to their conceptual side, while not being heavy really at all.

Saying they will return to their core sound, to me, means they will bring back the balance of light and heavy, metal and prog.  I get that some will call that playing it safe, but the band doesn't have to reinvent the wheel on every album. ;)

The sigh is more of I was hoping they would put out an album that is not based on fan reaction. Then again, they are a band that relies heavily on touring for their livelihood, so they must be quite sensitive to fan reaction during shows.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2017, 06:10:58 AM »
I don't think The Astonishing was ever going to be the future direction of the band, regardless of the reaction to it, which was always going to be divided, that didn't surprise anyone.  TA was a one-off "project" for me, something JP wanted to do and got JR involved, not really a band project.  In fact I almost don't consider it to be a standard DT album, more of a musical theatre piece.

No surprise that they will go back to their tried and trusted path on the next album but, as I say, I don't think it is a reaction to the fan response to TA, much of which is actually very positive by the way, just what they always intended.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2017, 08:10:51 AM »
Did you read the interview?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2017, 08:17:05 AM »
I did, and I hope the band is not as defeated or resigned as JR's quotes come off in this interview.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2017, 01:40:02 PM »
I hope the band is not as defeated or resigned as JR's quotes come off in this interview.

I don't see any "resignation"; and even if the interview shows a bit of it, that's only about how Jordan feels, not "the band"..

But even he is saying this:

<<We’re not going to be doing another concept album for the next album. I think it’s more about getting back to our roots, if you will. I think the fans are more hungry for a Dream Theater album that is more towards the ‘core’ of Dream Theater, whatever that means. It’s up to us to decide what we think that is. That’s where our heads are at right now.>>

As obvious as it may seem, they do what they want, as they've almost* always done..

*FII..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2017, 03:07:02 PM »
I hope the band is not as defeated or resigned as JR's quotes come off in this interview.

I don't see any "resignation"; and even if the interview shows a bit of it, that's only about how Jordan feels, not "the band"..

But even he is saying this:

<<We’re not going to be doing another concept album for the next album. I think it’s more about getting back to our roots, if you will. I think the fans are more hungry for a Dream Theater album that is more towards the ‘core’ of Dream Theater, whatever that means. It’s up to us to decide what we think that is. That’s where our heads are at right now.>>

I bolded a different part of the quote. I feel like JR might be frustrated. Frustrated is probably not the right word..that's too strong. But resigned? Beaten?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2017, 03:13:02 PM »
Tone doesn't come thru in print.

He may have simply meant they're going to try and figure out what their "signature" sound is...

not like "we're going to make a classic DT album...Whatever THAT is...::)"

more like " We want to make an album with the core DT sound...and we're gonna figure out what that is :) "

I know it's not likely but an album with the feel of Scenes thru Octavarium again would be amazing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2017, 03:46:21 PM »
Tone doesn't come thru in print.

Yeah, I understand that. That quote though caught me off guard.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #69 on: May 11, 2017, 07:03:40 AM »
Did you read the interview?

Sorry, I didn't see that interview but I have read it now and it doesn't really change things for me, I'm sure Jordan actually said in interviews prior to the release of TA that it may be polarising, especially to the more metal end of DT's fanbase.  It cannot be a surprise to them how it's been received, I knew straight away that some fans were going to hate the record, what may be a surprise to them is how many DT fans love the record, some even calling it their best ever. 

It's clear from his interviews over the years that Jordan is not a metal fan and he prefers the more prog side of Dream Theater.  If he had his way then maybe TA would be indicative of where he wants the band to go.  It is not up to him though, it is really going to be JP who decides what happens next and he is a metal fan, not to the extent that Portnoy was, but a fan nonetheless.  I really don't think it was ever in doubt that he would bring the metal back on this album whether or not TA was a success.  He would never do back to back albums like TA as he would know that fans, even those who enjoyed TA like me, would not want that.  Most DT fans enjoy the mixture of metal, prog and melody that the band gives us.  We like the big riffing songs, the virtuoso musicianship, the catchy melodies all rolled into one.  Train of Thought was ok as a one off but I would not want DT to just do really heavy stuff all the time, TA was ok as a one off but I would not want them to just do that soft metal ballad type stuff all the time.

The next album will be a reaction to TA to the extent that JP will not want to do the same again but it will not be a knee-jerk reaction to some fans not liking TA as they would always have been prepared for that as it was so different to anything they've done before.