Poll

What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?

Progressive (IAW, Awake, SDOIT, SFAM)
29 (41.4%)
Heavy (TOT, SC)
26 (37.1%)
Melodic (8VM, DT12, TA)
4 (5.7%)
Epic-Orchestral (BC&SL, ADTOE, WDADU)
2 (2.9%)
Light (FII)
9 (12.9%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?  (Read 808 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2017, 07:30:10 AM »
... Maybe let Mangini co-produce his drum sound.

That's an interesting idea. Not sure they'd do it, but it would be interesting.

A more likely scenario is JP co-producing with JR. That seems more likely to me, and would probably achieve a better, more balanced sonic production, just from having two points of view in the room rather than one.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2017, 10:52:53 AM »
It will also be interesting to see at least one song with lyrics by Mangini but I don't think it will happen, if it does I will be very happy.

Would love to see that happening, but, sadly, it would only create more MP vs MM arguments  :-\

A more likely scenario is JP co-producing with JR. That seems more likely to me, and would probably achieve a better, more balanced sonic production, just from having two points of view in the room rather than one.

That's the route I thought they would take when Portnoy left. It made sense because Jordan is the one who is always using the latest software and technology to achieve better sounds, so definitely he knows a thing or two about producing an album, since he also produces his own stuff, but no, JP decided to produce all the albums by himself, instead.

We're already 3 albums in and this hasn't happened, so I really doubt it will. However, I do remember an Jordan saying it would be cool to work with an external producer when he was asked about it on an interview (couldn't find the link), but that was around 2013, before DT12 was out, so It doesn't seem like it'll happen anytime soon  :sad:
"I believe the sacrifices in life give more than they take"

Offline Kotowboy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2017, 01:41:26 PM »
... Maybe let Mangini co-produce his drum sound.

That's an interesting idea. Not sure they'd do it, but it would be interesting.

Being a producer / engineer - I cant imagine Rich Chycki not throwing his 2c in now and again.
Star Trek Beyond is the 3rd greatest Star Trek movie.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2017, 01:46:42 PM »
I'd love something in the vein of SDOIT. I think that album had the perfect combination of all their sounds.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2017, 01:53:36 PM »
Does Mangini have a pre-DT history of lyric writing?

It's kind of a shame that most answers here involve wanting an album similar to one they've done in the past, yet people moaned about ADTOE being too I&W-esque. Then when DT did do something different with The Astonishing, people moaned at that. So you can't win with many people. Whatever DT do, it will be awesome*. There should be absolutely no doubt about that now. They've exceeded expectations every time, and they are on fire right now.

*Although DT calling it quits and not making DT14 will be considerably less awesome.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2017, 02:20:16 PM »
Does Mangini have a pre-DT history of lyric writing?

It's kind of a shame that most answers here involve wanting an album similar to one they've done in the past, yet people moaned about ADTOE being too I&W-esque. Then when DT did do something different with The Astonishing, people moaned at that. So you can't win with many people. Whatever DT do, it will be awesome*. There should be absolutely no doubt about that now. They've exceeded expectations every time, and they are on fire right now.

*Although DT calling it quits and not making DT14 will be considerably less awesome.

Totally agree. DT never disappoints, even their "bad" albums are good  :laugh:
"I believe the sacrifices in life give more than they take"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2017, 09:32:46 PM »
I would love it if they did a really complicated song again like TDOE. Especially I feel MM could bring some wicked rhythms into this.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2017, 01:55:18 AM »
I would love it if they did a really complicated song again like TDOE. Especially I feel MM could bring some wicked rhythms into this.

While I would hate to hear them outdo TDoE as I feel that it has earned its place as their most rhythmically complex piece of music, I would love to hear what crazy polymetric music they could create with Mangini in the fold. I feel like the 19/16 over 12/8 section of Illumination Theory was only the tip of the iceberg as far as Mangini's rhythmic genius goes and I would love to hear how far he can go with his polyrhythmic abilities.

Offline phospheneSOI

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2017, 03:55:19 AM »
I'd like to hear more of the jazzy/electronica/experimental moments from TA but it to sound nothing like TA.
I walk beside Dream Theater.