Poll

What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?

Progressive (IAW, Awake, SDOIT, SFAM)
134 (53.8%)
Heavy (TOT, SC)
68 (27.3%)
Melodic (8VM, DT12, TA)
17 (6.8%)
Epic-Orchestral (BC&SL, ADTOE, WDADU)
11 (4.4%)
Light (FII)
19 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 242

Author Topic: What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?  (Read 56465 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?
« Reply #280 on: October 18, 2017, 02:52:51 AM »
From The Astonishing I'd like for them to carry the unusual song structures as well. Feel like doing a 2 minutes full song like The Answer? do it for the hell of it, not because the storyline requires a short introductory piece.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #281 on: October 18, 2017, 06:46:20 AM »
From The Astonishing I'd like for them to carry the unusual song structures as well. Feel like doing a 2 minutes full song like The Answer? do it for the hell of it, not because the storyline requires a short introductory piece.

Yeah, this is one of the thing I love about the Astonishing, I hope they carry that song structures.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #282 on: October 18, 2017, 09:20:07 AM »
An album in the sound of The Gift of Music, Ravenskill, A New Beginning and The Path that Divide ... that would be awesome. Mainly progressive and melodic with interesting song structures and heavy when needed.

I will add in The Walking Shadow, concise and with an unusual structure.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #283 on: October 18, 2017, 10:00:11 AM »
All this talk about the next album is getting me waaaay too excited about it... but then I remember we're more than a year away from it  :'(
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

« Reply #284 on: October 18, 2017, 12:12:12 PM »
All this talk about the next album is getting me waaaay too excited about it... but then I remember we're more than a year away from it  :'(

Well yeah but at the same time we have A LOT of Dream Theater music to listen to to help us wait :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #285 on: October 18, 2017, 12:53:44 PM »
More blastbeat jazz.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lethean

« Reply #286 on: October 18, 2017, 01:19:01 PM »
Voted progressive but I consider the albums in the other categories to be progressive too.  I get it if they want to go heavier this time, and just hope it'll still be JLB doing all the vocals. :)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #287 on: October 18, 2017, 06:03:26 PM »
Voted progressive but I consider the albums in the other categories to be progressive too.  I get it if they want to go heavier this time, and just hope it'll still be JLB doing all the vocals. :)

JP hasn't contributed with vocals on the last 3 albums, so I think is pretty safe to say it'll be 100% James on the studio albums.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #288 on: October 18, 2017, 06:59:29 PM »
More blastbeat jazz.

So much this!!! I really hope they try more stuff like this, beside the song structures.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #289 on: October 18, 2017, 07:53:41 PM »
I really wouldn't mind another simple drum beat and bass riff a la New Beginning and JP solos over it.

God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #290 on: October 18, 2017, 09:10:26 PM »
I really wouldn't mind another simple drum beat and bass riff a la New Beginning and JP solos over it.

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #291 on: October 19, 2017, 12:05:18 AM »

They have been. Breaking All Illusions middle section comes to mind.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #292 on: October 19, 2017, 06:53:32 AM »

JP hasn't contributed with vocals on the last 3 albums, so I think is pretty safe to say it'll be 100% James on the studio albums.

Yup, and frankly it's been refreshing. James' voice was a huge draw for me when I first heard DT and even though his live work can sometimes be shaky, his studio work is still top notch.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #293 on: October 19, 2017, 10:18:16 AM »

Yup, and frankly it's been refreshing. James' voice was a huge draw for me when I first heard DT and even though his live work can sometimes be shaky, his studio work is still top notch.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts about JLB as well.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #294 on: October 19, 2017, 10:33:48 AM »
^ For me, his vocals specifically on ADTOE were such a joy to listen to. After MP left, the band needed to make a statement with that record, and James sounded so strong, handled all the vocals himself, and is mixed nice and up front. Great stuff.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #295 on: October 20, 2017, 02:55:40 PM »
On ADTOE l felt like the drum parts weren't as good as the ones on DT12 and TA, but I liked the prog edge to it. The most thing I'm concerned about the next album is the  involvement of MM on it.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #296 on: October 20, 2017, 06:56:44 PM »
I'm mainly concerned about his sound. Astonishing was a step in the right direction, but his drums never sound like an acoustic kit, it always sounds triggered or processed. I know a raw sound doesn't fit DT, but I would love a drum sound like Jeremy Stacey on Steven Wilson's To The Bone.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Lethean

« Reply #297 on: October 20, 2017, 07:41:15 PM »
I have to say... I don't really care who is involved into the writing or to what capacity.  ADTOE was great without Mangini involved.  DT12 was great with Mangini involved.  The Astonishing was great with just JP and JR.  So for me, it doesn't really matter so much.  At least not musically.  I don't want Mangini to be frustrated or discouraged, so from that aspect, I don't think it would be a bad idea to have him involved again. 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #298 on: October 20, 2017, 08:03:44 PM »
I'm mainly concerned about his sound. Astonishing was a step in the right direction, but his drums never sound like an acoustic kit, it always sounds triggered or processed. I know a raw sound doesn't fit DT, but I would love a drum sound like Jeremy Stacey on Steven Wilson's To The Bone.

His drums on ADTOE were super raw. To an extreme. They need to find that middle ground. Well mixed and semi-processed without going too far.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #299 on: October 20, 2017, 10:09:18 PM »

His drums on ADTOE were super raw. To an extreme. They need to find that middle ground. Well mixed and semi-processed without going too far.

That's why they need Nolly Getgood mixing their albums  :hefdaddy

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #300 on: October 21, 2017, 02:54:40 AM »
In my opinion the mixing on TA regarding the drums was the best they had since MM joined the band with the worst being on DT12.

Offline robin5749

« Reply #301 on: October 21, 2017, 10:18:51 AM »
probably more like dt self titled.
but they always do something special.
yea maybe a guest or two.
I would like a jazz fusion type track like weather report.
an acoustic guitar trio maybe steve morse and al de meola.
an acoustic prog epic along the lines of yes.
and the epic of all time last track featuring guest appearance by Mikael from opeth doing death growl vocals.
well that's what I imagined on my run yesterday.
little chance of any of this.

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #302 on: October 21, 2017, 10:29:10 AM »
and the epic of all time last track featuring guest appearance by Mikael from opeth doing death growl vocals.

I think it probably will have an epic as JLB stated that the band could make another multipart song like ACOS

Offline Lethean

« Reply #303 on: October 21, 2017, 08:09:21 PM »

I think it probably will have an epic as JLB stated that the band could make another multipart song like ACOS

Would love an epic if they're so inclined, but no thanks on the death growls.  There are plenty of bands who incorporate them for those who are interested, but I don't want DT to go down that path.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #304 on: October 21, 2017, 08:11:02 PM »
Akerfeldt doesn't even do death growls anymore on his own band's studio albums; I can't see him doing a growling guest spot on another band's record at this point.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #305 on: October 21, 2017, 09:43:18 PM »
Akerfeldt doesn't even do death growls anymore on his own band's studio albums; I can't see him doing a growling guest spot on another band's record at this point.

This. But I think a MA guest spot on a DT album would be really nice. Something like a soft, melodic part with his clean vocals.

The DT guys are good friends with Mikael, btw. I just remembered this pic from Wacken 2015:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #306 on: October 22, 2017, 04:45:53 PM »
Jordan confirms they'll start working on the new album around May or June 2018: https://youtu.be/eMFGkfgPCiU?t=9m52s

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #307 on: October 22, 2017, 09:28:22 PM »
This is a longer than usual wait.  However, it makes sense because they put a lot of extra time into the TA. It will be here before we know it and we will be  :metal :metal :metal

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #308 on: October 23, 2017, 04:11:38 AM »
There's a lot to love about TA, but for me it just doesn't work as a whole. I'm hoping the I&W tour will go someway to "reset" the band and we get something truly special.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #309 on: October 23, 2017, 06:09:16 AM »
Jordan confirms they'll start working on the new album around May or June 2018: https://youtu.be/eMFGkfgPCiU?t=9m52s

They could drop a single on September maybe..

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #310 on: October 23, 2017, 08:19:44 AM »

No kidding. I'd absolutely love it if they tapped Nolly to engineer and mix the record. His drum sounds in particular are among the best out there.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #311 on: October 23, 2017, 09:28:18 AM »

They could drop a single on September maybe..

That’s if they go for a late 2018 release, but I think RR would push it down to early 2019. Hope I’m wrong!

No kidding. I'd absolutely love it if they tapped Nolly to engineer and mix the record. His drum sounds in particular are among the best out there.

We only need JP to realize this  :lol

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #312 on: October 26, 2017, 12:42:09 PM »

A good one.

:tup

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #313 on: October 26, 2017, 01:21:40 PM »

A good one.

:tup

That could be said of any DT album so far, so I think it's a given  :biggrin:

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #314 on: October 26, 2017, 10:05:30 PM »

Hey, when did this become the abstract poetry thread?  :lol
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。