Dream Theater > Dream Theater

What kind of album would you like DT14 to be?

(1/104) > >>

Renzo:
Since it's been going on recently some discussions on DTF about DT's next album, I've decided to make this thread to hear what you would like DT14 to sound like..
I've excluded a concept album as JP and JR confirmed that that isn't the right thing to do.

I am personally unsure whether to hear a Progressive record or an epic one.
I think I'll give the edge to prog..

Architeuthis:
I would like heavy and melodic.

Sycsa:
Definitely not epic, and keep the "prog" in check too, no 20 minute songs, no orchestras. Keep them around 5-7 minutes, with catchy melodies and choruses, groovy and heavy riffs. No overly mellow stuff either, keep the energy and powah flowing. Basically the opposite of The Astonishing. Also, get the production and Mike's drum sound right. Symphony X's Underworld is my favorite album of the past few years, something in that vein would please me. Some hard rock/bluesy elements like in FII would be nice too.

MirrorMask:
I voted Progressive, but I'd love a mix of more styles. More precisely, I'd like them to capitalize on what they achieved with this line-up so far:

- From Dramatic, I'd like to see the epics like Bridges in the Sky and Breaking All Illusions, with the instrumental sections not too wild and not too "Let's jam it out LTE style and whatever happens gets recorded".
- From the self titled, I'd like them to keep things concise and to the point.
- From The Astonishing, I'd like to see again the melody and the weird song structures. We got unique stuff like a full-band 2 minutes song and a crazy jazz outro only because a storyline demanded it. Do it for the hell of it, if they feel like writing another 2 minutes song or do something out of the field and never done before, just go for it.

ToT-147:
Yeah, this time I'm with the vast majority here and want a heavy album in the vein of ToT.... although the fact that you're including SC as an example could scare some and make them vote for something else.. But for what I've been reading here and in fb's pages/groups the last couple of months, most want at least a heavier album that what they have done in the MM-era..

BUT, having said that and tbh, my true answer would be that I'll just be cool with whatever album they come up with.. My last wish after 3 albums of more than great music (I started listening to them in 2008) was around two years ago when I asked for a concept-experimental album and not only I got exactly that, but also, and more important, a handful of excellent songs with unbelievable songwriting style, so... as far as I'm concerned... do what you want this time.. Worst than a middle ranked album it can't be, I'm sure of that..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version