Author Topic: Say DT's next album has a bonus disc. What'd you want?  (Read 8443 times)

Offline MirrorMask

Say DT's next album has a bonus disc. What'd you want?
« on: April 17, 2017, 05:19:43 AM »
We all know how Black Clouds and Silver Linings had, in its limited edition, not one but TWO bonus discs, one was the instrumental version of the album and one was six brand new covers. Let's say on the next album that will be the followup to The Astonishing we will get a bonus disc... what would you want on that?

Since this is all highly hypothetical anything goes for the replies of course. As for me, I'd love a Rudess / LaBrie combo. Just the other day I casually refreshed FB and Rudess was live playing an improv piece on his piano. I'd love for him to sit down with James and conjure up something only piano and voice. Have the bonus disc being a Rudess / LaBrie EP, with 2-3 original songs, a couple of covers and a couple of older DT songs reworked and rearranged just for piano and voice, kinda like the alternate version of Wither.

As a second choice, I remember the acoustic shows of the FII era, they never did something like that before or after again, it was unusual and interesting to have those kind of performances. I would love to hear some of that again, just like in my JR / JLB only scenario they could apply the "New songs + DT songs rearranged + covers" scenario to have 6-7 songs for a bonus EP.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online krands85

Re: Say DT's next album has a bonus disc. What'd you want?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 05:39:12 AM »
Individual stems for all the tracks of the main album.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 06:23:15 AM »
Individual stems for all the tracks of the main album.

That, or demos would be cool, if they record those these days.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 06:30:18 AM »
WDADU played by current lineup.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 07:10:38 AM »
A Making of DVD. I love the behind the scenes stuff.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 07:18:27 AM »
This.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 07:19:57 AM »
This.

Yup. This would definitely be my first choice.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 07:21:09 AM »
My first preference would be a "Making of" special. My second would be four or five Majesty/WDADU songs re-recorded by the current lineup.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Renzo

• Daryus
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 07:35:55 AM »

Hell yes!!

And the re-recording of 'the Killing Hand' should be based on the live WDADRU version..
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 08:00:15 AM by Renzo »

Offline V_R11

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 07:49:41 AM »

I've always wanted that. To this day I haven't heard full WDADU because I can't stand Dominici's voice
Seasons change and so can I

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 08:03:36 AM »

As awesome as this would be, I believe the band gave up their rights to that album when they left Mechanic Records... so may not be possible:(

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 08:35:01 AM »
This.

First thing I thought of as well.  Whether it's just a few clips on YouTube or something more extensive like the bonus disk for SC, these are always great.  A "special edition" is always an automatic buy for me if it has a making of DVD.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2017, 08:43:26 AM »

As awesome as this would be, I believe the band gave up their rights to that album when they left Mechanic Records... so may not be possible:(
Just the original recordings, if memory serves.  They are still their songs, they can do whatever they want going forward with them, as far as I know.

But this will never happen.  Just get When Dream And Day Reunite.  That's the closest you will get to it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2017, 09:09:28 AM »
Either another 90 minute in studio DVD like Systematic Chaos

or the whole new album performed live in the studio.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2017, 09:28:37 AM »
Either another 90 minute in studio DVD like Systematic Chaos

Sounds good to me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2017, 09:35:28 AM »

Oh yea, some St. Anger stuff, right!?  :metal

I'd love that. A DVD of the band in a studio just playing all the songs. That would be really cool, and something they haven't done previously.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2017, 09:37:22 AM »
I want a 4k DVD of Hef sitting outside listening and reacting to the album while enjoying a fine cigar and a never empty glass of scotch.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2017, 09:37:46 AM »
I want a 4k DVD of Hef sitting outside listening and reacting to the album while enjoying a fine cigar and a never empty glass of scotch.
We'll talk later.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2017, 09:52:10 AM »
If their next album would have songs like Our New World and Chosen, I want a CD of instrumental versions so I can sing to the songs. :P

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2017, 09:53:39 AM »
With the way the band does their live albums these days, I think I'd almost prefer an in studio performance.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2017, 10:23:33 AM »
This.

Definitely this.  I know it's "been done" before but it was fascinating as hell.  Sadly, I don't think they'll do something like this because they seem to much prefer writing and recording without cameras constantly around. 

The other idea I had would be a type of unplugged performance in the studio or in a small sound stage.  Have a competition or lottery where you could invite 300 fans or so. 

Rerecording a few WDADU songs would be great, too, but won't ever happen I'm sure. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2017, 10:51:10 AM »
Give me b-sides.  I'll gladly take stuff DT writes and records that is different than what's on the album. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2017, 12:29:09 PM »
I'd like to see a mix of B-sides and older songs that were completely rewritten/re-envisioned, along the lines of Caught in Alice's Nine Inch Tool Garden and Surrounded '07. One or two could be acoustic, but I'd like to see how they could take some of the other older songs in different directions.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 12:51:05 PM »
I'm all for demos/earlier versions of songs personally. I realise that since DT have pretty much written and recorded simultaneously for the last several albums there may not be any need for demos, but I'd find anything like studio outtakes, alternative arrangements of songs or little ideas that ended up not being used really interesting listening. I always find it interesting to learn where things originate from.

I'm sure they could find enough material from between ADToE to TA to fill at least a single disc. Maybe a couple of the tracks from ADToE with JP's drum samples he used, the spoken word intro to TA that was cut out, or the complete outro guitar solo from ANB without the fade-out?  :biggrin:

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2017, 12:52:41 PM »
A jewel case. Not that flimsy thing the BC&SL deluxe was in or a digipak.  :P

In all seriousness though, I like bonus tracks to be b-sides and if not that, covers. Demos and live tracks never interest me.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 01:01:49 PM »
Another cool idea would be what Epica has done their last two albums and have the bonus disc be acoustic versions of a few songs from the main album.  Those songs have been some of Epica's best IMO.  Shows great diversity.  I think DT could do it too.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 01:08:06 PM »
Another cool idea would be what Epica has done their last two albums and have the bonus disc be acoustic versions of a few songs from the main album.  Those songs have been some of Epica's best IMO.  Shows great diversity.  I think DT could do it too.
One or two, OK. But a CD just of acoustic versions of songs? Pass.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2017, 01:10:48 PM »
If it was just "normal" acoustic versions, I wouldn't necessarily be all that interested.  But if it was indeed more along the lines of what Epica has done, JUST TAKE MY MONEY, DT!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 01:35:14 PM »
If it was just "normal" acoustic versions, I wouldn't necessarily be all that interested.  But if it was indeed more along the lines of what Epica has done, JUST TAKE MY MONEY, DT!

Yea, I didn't express further as a straight up acoustic version isn't terribly interesting, but actual arrangement changes and instrumental changes as well, which JR could easily do.  The idea of just making a fun spin off song in a musically interesting way, but as in something that doesn't actually fit on a DT record. 

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 01:38:16 PM »
I notice what bands are doing now is - putting the making of on YouTube instead of on a bonus disc... Probably f--- loads cheaper too.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2017, 01:41:15 PM »
I notice what bands are doing now is - putting the making of on YouTube instead of on a bonus disc... Probably f--- loads cheaper too.

And a lot of times those making of videos end up as a bonus on the next DVD or something similar.  I think that works, one to hype the release as these youtube videos typically come out before the release of the album, and two, a way for the fans to own it eventually.  Similar to DT's drummer auditions.

While I do enjoy these types of videos, I wouldn't want that on a bonus disc because they are becoming so common that I'd rather something more unique if it was my choice.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2017, 02:55:23 PM »
My first preference would be a "Making of" special. My second would be four or five Majesty/WDADU songs re-recorded by the current lineup.

This. I really miss the "Making of" videos, it's just a very cool thing to watch. The re-recorded/re-imagined versions of the Majesty demos would be a great option too, something like what Haken did with their Restoration EP  :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2017, 05:47:24 PM »
A DVD of MM playing the whole album, from beginning to end. Yes, I'm serious.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2017, 05:48:30 PM »
MM playing the whole album, from beginning to end. Yes, I'm serious.

Like a drum DVD of it? The kind Portnoy did on occasion?

I'd like a the whole album with MM speaking the lyrics in his Boston accent.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2017, 05:50:40 PM »
Yeah, a DVD of him playing all that stuff, I think that would be wicked cool.
Alternatively, a mix of the new album where each tom hit is replaced by MM saying "tooooneee".
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."