Author Topic: A dramatic turn of events & Dream Theater  (Read 2736 times)

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
A dramatic turn of events & Dream Theater
« on: March 31, 2017, 03:12:45 PM »
Seriously...

I just think these albums names and covers should be interchanged. That would make a lot more of sense.

IMHO.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: A dramatic turn of events & Dream Theater
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 03:20:36 PM »
That is Astonishing.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 03:23:32 PM »
You mean... "Music from The Astonishing"?

A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 03:28:46 PM »
:clap: to both of you. So awesome!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 08:18:43 PM »
Something about both albums....ehh.

First time I heard "The Enemy Inside" (I think it was from Roadrunner's Soundcloud stream), I had a huge dejavu moment like "Have I heard this before?" (especially the bridge of TEI).

Similar things happened throughout my first listen of The Astonishing, so many parts sounded questionably close to "Surrender To Reason" and the theme to "Illumination Theory" that I was starting to have theories of my own  :o

Anyone else have this?
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 08:47:33 PM »

First time I heard "The Enemy Inside" (I think it was from Roadrunner's Soundcloud stream), I had a huge dejavu moment like "Have I heard this before?" (especially the bridge of TEI).

Similar things happened throughout my first listen of The Astonishing, so many parts sounded questionably close to "Surrender To Reason" and the theme to "Illumination Theory" that I was starting to have theories of my own  :o

Anyone else have this?

I'll take them borrowing from themselves over borrowing other bands.  They had a stretch of albums that all had a handful of moments that you could point to and say, "This sounds like Song X by Band Y."

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 09:00:44 PM »
Yea I had the same thought as OP some time ago. I wish DT12 had a real title. It's fairly one dimensional and seems like such an odd choice for a self titled album. ADTOE on the other other felt like a throwback and a new start for the band.

That said, if it was up to me both albums would have real titles. Self titling is silly, especially that far into your career.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 04:56:03 PM »
Yea I had the same thought as OP some time ago. I wish DT12 had a real title. It's fairly one dimensional and seems like such an odd choice for a self titled album. ADTOE on the other other felt like a throwback and a new start for the band.

I remember that JP said on an interview, around the time DT12 was released or maybe during that tour, where he said they almost titled it "Illumination Theory", but then decided to make it a self titled instead. It woul've been really cool to have it named that way, but nothing about it being self-titled bothers me.

Listened to the whole album a couple days ago, btw, and I still think it's very underrated. The band had GREAT moments there and, imo, it's a very consistent album from start to finish.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 07:08:49 PM »

Anyone else have this?

I'll take them borrowing from themselves over borrowing other bands.  They had a stretch of albums that all had a handful of moments that you could point to and say, "This sounds like Song X by Band Y."

Yep, Dream Theater REALLY REALLY liked muse around 2005-2007  :mehlin
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 09:56:33 PM »

Anyone else have this?

Yep, Mike Portnoy REALLY REALLY liked muse around 2005-2007  :mehlin
Fix'd for clarity.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 12:52:35 AM »

Anyone else have this?

Yep, Mike Portnoy REALLY REALLY liked muse around 2005-2007  :mehlin
Fix'd for clarity.

The Muse thing was probably more JP, actually. At the time, MP said something like Muse was the only band that JP had turned him on to in the 20 years they'd known eachother. Usually, it was the other way around.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 01:20:02 AM »
Totally agree with the OP.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 04:14:10 AM »
Seriously...

I just think these albums names and covers should be interchanged. That would make a lot more of sense.

IMHO.

I don't totally agree as they were dealing with the whole drummer issue before ADTOE and DT12 was kind of a mix of DT styles from the body of work preceding. JMO.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 12:44:52 PM »
Well even though DT said the album title ADTOE had nothing to do with MP leaving, it still seems appropriate for that time period although I would say ADTOE seems like it is more fitting musically for a self titled album since it seemed to hit back at DT's roots moreso than DT12 did.  Also, DT12 is a really good album that hits a few different styles and to me, is not at all one dimensional.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 03:52:22 PM »
I've never been too concerned about album titles.  As long as I like what's on the album (or in it if you will), they can call it whatever they want.  If I don't like it...still doesn't matter.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Mladen

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 12:00:10 AM »
You mean... "Music from The Astonishing"?

Brilliant.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2017, 10:09:15 AM »
Can you imagine the drama if they would have named their first post-MP album "Dream Theater"?  For what it's worth, I agree with the OP. 

While I like DT12, I think ADTOE is one of the quintessential DT albums encompassing everything they're about.  Self titling that would have been more appropriate. 

It's also funny that when they first announced the ADTOE name, just about everyone, myself included, was thinking, "What the hell are they doing?  That name is horrible!"

Years later it is one of my favorite DT albums and I don't give the title any thought.  I guess it's grown on me or at least the music speaks much louder than the underwhelming and odd title. 

Offline chaotic_ripper

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 11:39:02 AM »
Can you imagine the drama if they would have named their first post-MP album "Dream Theater"?  For what it's worth, I agree with the OP. 

While I like DT12, I think ADTOE is one of the quintessential DT albums encompassing everything they're about.  Self titling that would have been more appropriate. 

It's also funny that when they first announced the ADTOE name, just about everyone, myself included, was thinking, "What the hell are they doing?  That name is horrible!"

Years later it is one of my favorite DT albums and I don't give the title any thought.  I guess it's grown on me or at least the music speaks much louder than the underwhelming and odd title.

Totally agree. ADTOE is probably my third favorite album. Song wise, it is hard to beat. Every song is strong, it's a modern day Images and Words. Which is probably what they were going for.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 12:07:48 PM »
Seriously...

Just.. No..

;)
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 03:10:29 AM »
As I (am)  ::) like A Dramatic Turn Of Events, a self-titled DT doesn't hit me so much, I think that I gave it not so much time as it deserves. But anyway, I remember when I was listening it for the first time and I was a little but dissappointed, and still DT self-titled is my least favourite album....